HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Down to the Nitty Gritty

Old
09-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Down to the Nitty Gritty

Johnson v. Sulzer
Lindback v. Dekanich
Lundmark v. Smithson v. O’Reilly v. Andersson

Who ya got ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:36 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Johnson
Lindback
Smithson and Andersson

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:23 AM
kivaerijo

sulzer due to johnson being 2 way
Lindback due to being taller than Pekka. Dekanich traded at some point.
Smithson cuz he is babyface, and the other is anybody's guess but mine. i really dont know, gut tells me...hmmmm....Anderson as well. o'reilly to the avs and will be a pain in our arse with his brother.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:17 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Lundmark/Smithson

Johnson

Lindback

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:57 AM
cjerina

Sulzer,
Lindback at first, with Dex and him swapping during the season
Smithson and Lundmark, with Cal being claimed off waivers

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:01 AM
WartracePred

Package deal suggestion

Why not package Dumont and O'Reilly for picks or, well, anything. Move Ward to the fourth line and move Andersson to the line with Leggy and SK. We dump salary and aren't wasting Dumont's talents in a fourth line grinder role. Paying Dumont's salary to be a grinder is madness.

WartracePred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:06 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Sulzer
Lindback
Smithson

23rd skater: Andersson or O'Reilly -- I'll go with O'Reilly (because otherwise, Belak will be our only scratched forward)

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
Why not package Dumont and O'Reilly for picks or, well, anything. Move Ward to the fourth line and move Andersson to the line with Leggy and SK. We dump salary and aren't wasting Dumont's talents in a fourth line grinder role. Paying Dumont's salary to be a grinder is madness.
While I agree that paying Dumont to play a bottom-six role is a waste of his talents and our limited financial assets, due to his NMC, he's not going anywhere for the time being...

Knowing that he was getting any guarantees from the team at the end of last season except for the fact that they would honor his contract, JP didn't lounge around the pool all summer...he acknowledged that his game had slipped and spent the whole summer training to bulk up, strengthen his stride, and prepare for whatever the team threw at him this year.

I don't know where he'll start in the lineup, but he'll be there and after watching him at camp the past two weeks, my bet is that as long as he stats healthy...he'll finish the season higher up on the depth chart than where he begins next week...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:02 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I look at the roster and players left and let me tell you what my opinion is.

This is where the hard cuts come. One goalie, one defenseman and two forwards. There are two games left till you have to get to your roster.

My hope is that depending on the winner of the goalie competition that Smith of Dekanich are traded.

I think that the hardest fight is for the #7 defenseman job with Sulzer and Johnson.

I just can't see O'Reilly on the roster only because I can't see where he fits.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Johnson
Lindback
Smithson and Andersson
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
sulzer due to johnson being 2 way
Are you saying Johnson is on a 2-way deal? I'm not sure about that, but he is not waiver exempt, and neither is Sulzer for that matter. So whoever loses the battle will almost certainly be claimed by another team. I think Johnson has looked better in camp and will win the job here.

Either way, we're talking about depth d-men, neither of whom have a ceiling to be top-4 potential, so it's not a big loss should either get a shot elsewhere.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
Are you saying Johnson is on a 2-way deal? I'm not sure about that, but he is not waiver exempt, and neither is Sulzer for that matter. So whoever loses the battle will almost certainly be claimed by another team. I think Johnson has looked better in camp and will win the job here.

Either way, we're talking about depth d-men, neither of whom have a ceiling to be top-4 potential, so it's not a big loss should either get a shot elsewhere.
Johnson is on a two-way deal, but isn't waiver exempt and I agree would get claimed by another team. In every viewing I've had the past two weeks he's been the better player and I think it'd be a shame to lose him whereas Sulzer is prime to be passed on the depth charts as it is and really needs a change of scenery to attempt to take the next step in his development.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
While I agree that paying Dumont to play a bottom-six role is a waste ...
I think that depends. Bottom three is a waste. Bottom six may not be, if the third line is more of a scoring line this year. Put Dumont with SK and Legwand and that's a line that has the potential to put up some points, although it certainly takes a hit defensively...

MrJoshua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
I think that depends. Bottom three is a waste. Bottom six may not be, if the third line is more of a scoring line this year. Put Dumont with SK and Legwand and that's a line that has the potential to put up some points, although it certainly takes a hit defensively...
No, you're right. I was referring to a traditional bottom-six which ours certainly is not. If he doesn't hurt the line too much defensively, I think he'd be a much better fit on that line than Ward right now because it would provide us with three scoring lines.

Trotz has many options right now, almost too many, and it'll be interesting to see how he sorts it all out to start the year...

Old
09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Trotz has many options right now, almost too many, and it'll be interesting to see how he sorts it all out to start the year...
I gotta agree with Seth. I mean the two lines I'm drooling at are a speed line of Legwand-Lombardi-Sullivan. And a Selke line of Ward-Legwand-Kostitsyn.

I just want to see what the roster looks like first before going truly nuts with the line combos.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:23 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think Johnson is far more likely to be claimed off waivers than Sulzer, given that he's proven himself as a decent bottom pairing d-man in the NHL. Sulzer's potential is what Johnson is now, and I wouldn't be shocked if he cleared waivers (which he did last year, I believe)

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:37 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think Johnson is far more likely to be claimed off waivers than Sulzer, given that he's proven himself as a decent bottom pairing d-man in the NHL. Sulzer's potential is what Johnson is now, and I wouldn't be shocked if he cleared waivers (which he did last year, I believe)
now that i know johnson needs to clear waivers, i am changing my post. johnson will be here, and they take their chance with sulzer and the waiver line. if he gets picked up, oh well. i like sulzer, but agree, that he will be nothing but a bottom 3 guy.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
now that i know johnson needs to clear waivers, i am changing my post. johnson will be here, and they take their chance with sulzer and the waiver line. if he gets picked up, oh well. i like sulzer, but agree, that he will be nothing but a bottom 3 guy.
Not unreasonable though I don't think there's any more upside in one over the other. In either case, I'm not thinking either is here in 2011-12.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Webersmashpuck

Dekanich - He's paid his dues in Milwaukee and has looked decent this training camp, I will admit Lindback has looked better, but I think he gets time in Milwaukee to make sure.

Smithson - He is going nowhere.
O'Reilly - I believe he will be the scratch and Andersson will be sent down due the the waiver status, but if anything happens to a winger I think Andersson will get the nod over O'Reilly

Johnson - Slight edge due to the experience.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:34 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Dex
Johnson - Sulzer will get claimed, or he'll go to Europe
Smitty - unfortunately, I'd much rather see us keep the skilled guys but for Trotz style, and his PK ability, Smitty stays.
O'reilly gets the 13th spot if that Anderssen doesn't have to clear waivers thing is true. Otherwise, I think Poile wants Anderssen.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

If Sulzer does go to Europe, do we still have to pay his salary?

IMO there is no way he gets claimed off of waivers.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
If Sulzer does go to Europe, do we still have to pay his salary?

IMO there is no way he gets claimed off of waivers.
No, but unless the team gave him permission to leave he wouldn't ba allowed to go since there is an NHL-DEL transfer agreement and he would be violating the terms of his contract. If he doesn't make the team and clears waivers he will report to Milwaukee.

Old
09-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Johnson v. Sulzer
Lindback v. Dekanich
Lundmark v. Smithson v. O’Reilly v. Andersson

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:54 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
No, but unless the team gave him permission to leave he wouldn't ba allowed to go since there is an NHL-DEL transfer agreement and he would be violating the terms of his contract. If he doesn't make the team and clears waivers he will report to Milwaukee.
If he doesn't make the team this year and wanted to leave, why wouldn't we let him? At best, we'd be saying he's #8 on the depth chart, with Ellis back in the Juniors as a possibility next year and virtual lock for 2012 and Blum not far away, either.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
braindead

I don't see how Trotz passes on Smithson, Lundmark and Johnson. He always prefers safe vets over.... everyone, including younger guys with potentially more upside.

Predicting otherwise is like expecting Jeff Fisher to call a pass play on 3rd and 6. Sure, it's possible but not realistic.

Lindback has been slated for the backup role since he added the last 4 inches to his frame (ie 2007).

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

this is why i don't think teams will worry about guys getting picked off wivers, esp if they make the minimum.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/freeagents/_/type/available

or a shorter list

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533739

lots of serviceable guys who would more than likely take the minimum to play

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote