HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan White Appreciation Thread

Old
09-28-2010, 05:10 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

His pre-season is far from reassuring, his playoffs we're good, nowhere near great or "ridiculous". With White having a better camp and with the additions of Boyd and Halpern, Pyatt does have a spot to earn on the team.
Really? You do realize he was a rookie last year with a mere 40 regular season games played?

Pyatt lead our team (forwards) in PK time per game. Thats ridiculous.

He also had a game winning goal, just a -1 rating despite playing versus some of the leagues best players, just 2 penalty minutes, smart decisions with the puck, great speed, and a great forecheck.

Most nights, the Lapierre - Moen - Pyatt trio was our best line (when they actually played together).

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Isn't that good reason enough? Would you want to spend a million dollars for absolutely nothing and risk losing the cheap player via waivers?
We're not paying those players, though, and it has no real bearing on the team. And, frankly, it's commonplace in the NHL, so I fail to see why you mind at all.

I think you just don't want to admit that you didn't know how 2-way contracts work.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't understand what people have disliked about Pyatt's preseason. He has been rock solid. He is making great and smart decisions with the puck, and his experience from last year is showing. Great skating, good positioning and play without the puck, and he scored a nice goal last night as well and has created some chances.
Because he's a dime a dozen player. Boyd plays the exact same game as Pyatt's, but with better offense. White bring something we don't have in the line-up, Pyatt, for now, is a plug player, effective, but that's about it. For now i want Pouliot, Boyd, Lappierre, Moen, Halpern and White in our bottom 6.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
We're not paying those players, though, and it has no real bearing on the team. And, frankly, it's commonplace in the NHL, so I fail to see why you mind at all.

I think you just don't want to admit that you didn't know how 2-way contracts work.
If i would be paying those players from my own wallet, they WOULD be sent down to Hamilton, but it's bad business to give 1-way contracts to players that don't make the team, that's what i want you guys to acknowledge. There's other reasons then the pay itself why players like Darche, Pyatt and O'Byrne accepted to lower their salary in order to get a 1-way contract, it was their way of securing a spot on the team. I know how 2-way contracts work, thank you very much.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Because he's a dime a dozen player. Boyd plays the exact same game as Pyatt's, but with better offense. White bring something we don't have in the line-up, Pyatt, for now, is a plug player, effective, but that's about it. For now i want Pouliot, Boyd, Lappierre, Moen, Halpern and White in our bottom 6.
If Boyd is as good as Pyatt, then why not have both? Our PK would be near tops in the league and with a good PP, isn't that a huge key to success? Pyatt is also a good 5 on 5 player (won't score many, but his line doesn't give up many). He's a very good shutdown player, a great forechecker, and most importantly the best PKer (maybe aside from Pleks) on the team.

And why not have two FULL PK units that DONT USE OUR TOP-6? How smart is that? Not having to use Gomez, Gionta, or Plekanec on the PK would be a huge benefit to this team, especially down the stretch and into the playoffs.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:49 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
If Boyd is as good as Pyatt, then why not have both? Our PK would be near tops in the league and with a good PP, isn't that a huge key to success? Pyatt is also a good 5 on 5 player (won't score many, but his line doesn't give up many). He's a very good shutdown player, a great forechecker, and most importantly the best PKer (maybe aside from Pleks) on the team.

And why not have two FULL PK units that DONT USE OUR TOP-6? How smart is that? Not having to use Gomez, Gionta, or Plekanec on the PK would be a huge benefit to this team, especially down the stretch and into the playoffs.
Pyatt proved himself enough to keep his spot. White will have his chances once a player gets injured and the way the year is starting, that will be pretty soon enough. As more Pyatt being a dim-ea-dozen player, we got an exact replica of White playing on the team now: Travis Moen. So with that logic, we should only keep one of the two and Moen is too important to let go now.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Cupmonger

I loved White this preseason so far. But staying down to earth, I highly doubt he'll play this way consistently. If he does, **** A right, that's awesome. but kids try and go all out in order to crack the team and once they do they have a hard time keeping up. I'd love him on our team, but he may become a D'Agostini, meaning, very excellent at start, and slowly fade away. Eventually getting burned out by fans. I definitely would give him games in the NHL, maybe somewhere between 10-20. Only to really be able to evaluate his play and if he can keep up.

Even if he doesnt crack the team this year or doesn't have a full season, I'm not worried at all that he'll be in our lineup in the future.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:02 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Hes not a dime a dozen player, he just isn't flashy. We also have no idea what this kid is going to turn out like yet, he can still improve, hes only 23 years old. You should check out some of his progression in his development and other leagues. His role could definitely expand, and quite frankly the kid has gotten better with every passing game.

And like ruski astutely pointed out, Moen is a similar player to what White is, so your logic is flawed.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Man, why can't people see what players are worth when they aren't flashy... Pyatt's an incredible player for his age. Pyatt has incredible vision and can read the play like it's second nature. The kid has proven himself that he can play vs big names, such as Ovechkin, not just in normal season, but in playoffs too. White, last season, as he was energetic, barely made a difference, he was a plug in player last year. Pyatt, on the other hand was very usefu for our defensive line up and mentality. White, has been more noticed this preseason. But can he keep it up or was it just a burst of what he can do when going all out.

Pyatt wants to crack the top lines. He knows he needs to better in the opposing teritory. But he currently has a great skill set that allows him to develop that facet of his game. He may never crack the first two lines. But at least, he'll always have a spot on a team just for his very good defensive play.

White, while energetic and tough. Still needs to prove himself. Preseason is a good way to showcase what you can do. But in order to really prove yourself, you need to play a few back to back games in the NHL in the regular season. We tried this with Patches last year, turns out he wasn't ready. Last year, White wasn't of big use except when we had injuries, as a plug in.

I like White and all. He's been very flasy and entertaining to watch lately. But he still needs to prove himself as a consistent player in the regular season.

my 2 cents

Old
09-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Hes not a dime a dozen player, he just isn't flashy. We also have no idea what this kid is going to turn out like yet, he can still improve, hes only 23 years old. You should check out some of his progression in his development and other leagues. His role could definitely expand, and quite frankly the kid has gotten better with every passing game.

And like ruski astutely pointed out, Moen is a similar player to what White is, so your logic is flawed.
Moen doesn't play with the same grit White does. Maybe that's because it's too much for him to carry by himself, but I find him to be a little more hesitant than White.
But then again, White is trying to secure a spot on our team at the moment. There's no way to really know how he would perform vs full NHL teams, on a regular basis.
He's definitely earned the right to show us though.

When we look at our team overall though, White's presence become rather important, or interesting.
Because he plays with such an edge, there is no doubt it will influence some other players, like Moen or Lappy to play with the same type of edge or aggressiveness.

Now when teams will be facing us, it won't be just about shutting our key guys out and trying to intimidate Lappy, but they'll have to deal with this White kid who's skating hard, hitting every one, crashing and fighting. Sure, he's not a big intimidating fighter, probably would end up losing most of his fights in the NHL, but his play doesn't suffer from it. He doesn't calm down after losing a fight.

I think he adds a dimension that this team clearly lacks off.

Personally, I would chose him over Pyatt mainly because he's so unique in our roster. But I don't want Pyatt to sit out, and I find these two make quite the pair. Them + Moen would make a very good 4th line in my eyes. On the outside looking in, I'd have Darche and Halpern.
But, Eller also comes into mind. If his 3rd line duties go unfulfilled, I would send him down to AHL for more seasoning.

I don't expect Eller to step up on the top 6 right from the start. I find both A.Ko and Pouliot have shown better things than him in camp. They certainly deserve their respective usual position among our top 2 lines.

So, to sum it up, I expect (or want):
Gom-Gio/Pou
Plek-A.Ko/Cammy
Eller-Lappy/Boyd
Pyatt-White/Moen

As we all know though, things can change very fast.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:07 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Moen doesn't play with the same grit White does. Maybe that's because it's too much for him to carry by himself, but I find him to be a little more hesitant than White.
But then again, White is trying to secure a spot on our team at the moment. There's no way to really know how he would perform vs full NHL teams, on a regular basis.
He's definitely earned the right to show us though.

When we look at our team overall though, White's presence become rather important, or interesting.
Because he plays with such an edge, there is no doubt it will influence some other players, like Moen or Lappy to play with the same type of edge or aggressiveness.

Now when teams will be facing us, it won't be just about shutting our key guys out and trying to intimidate Lappy, but they'll have to deal with this White kid who's skating hard, hitting every one, crashing and fighting. Sure, he's not a big intimidating fighter, probably would end up losing most of his fights in the NHL, but his play doesn't suffer from it. He doesn't calm down after losing a fight.

I think he adds a dimension that this team clearly lacks off.

Personally, I would chose him over Pyatt mainly because he's so unique in our roster. But I don't want Pyatt to sit out, and I find these two make quite the pair. Them + Moen would make a very good 4th line in my eyes. On the outside looking in, I'd have Darche and Halpern.
But, Eller also comes into mind. If his 3rd line duties go unfulfilled, I would send him down to AHL for more seasoning.

I don't expect Eller to step up on the top 6 right from the start. I find both A.Ko and Pouliot have shown better things than him in camp. They certainly deserve their respective usual position among our top 2 lines.

So, to sum it up, I expect (or want):
Gom-Gio/Pou
Plek-A.Ko/Cammy
Eller-Lappy/Boyd
Pyatt-White/Moen

As we all know though, things can change very fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
White, while energetic and tough. Still needs to prove himself. Preseason is a good way to showcase what you can do. But in order to really prove yourself, you need to play a few back to back games in the NHL in the regular season. We tried this with Patches last year, turns out he wasn't ready. Last year, White wasn't of big use except when we had injuries, as a plug in.

I like White and all. He's been very flasy and entertaining to watch lately. But he still needs to prove himself as a consistent player in the regular season.

my 2 cents
Cup saves me from some posting, this is more or less how I feel about White.

Quite simply, either Darche gets put on waivers, or White is going to be sent down. The timing just isn't right. I also think spending more time in the AHL is beneficial for him to round out and develop his offensive game, something that is surely coming along. He is only going to get better, there is no rush with the kid. Plus, he will surely get his chance down the line.

Halpern will be in the starting lineup as far as I am concerned. And I think too many people are too quick to rule him out, he is a good player.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

One thing is pretty obvious, no need to keep White up to make him the 13th or 14th forward. The kid needs to play and to be a more significant player in the bigs, I'd like to see boosting up his stats in the AHL. He might never be a power forward but he might actually believe he could be and that will be a start.

The Habs are not the kind of team to go and get a vet and then ditch him just because of a few good preseason games by a rookie. They went for Halpern because of how he can play the centerman position, because he's a righty and because he wins a whole lot of faceoffs. Nothing White can do at this point. Nothing White should be doing 'cause I don't see him succeeding at the centerman position anyway. If anything, White just won the prize of being the first callup if a winger is needed at the start of the season. Let just hope he continues doing what he does. But he is the type of guy while dissapointed, will do his job and be there when needed.

I didn't dislike the Halpern acquisition. Thought others could have been better, but Halpern will be helpful. If anything, if he helps removing a few minutes out of Plekanec's game on the PK, it will mean a good PK AND a more healthy and in shape Pleks for the season and the real one after that. Just that is enough.

So let see how it plays out. But like it or not, the roster was set already. I'M not expecting big surprises, nor am I expecting 14 forwards at the start of the year. We will have injuries people....don't worry, you know our luck. It will be played out as we go along. It's not a vote of non-confidence to White or anything, it's more about being a vote of confidence to the acquisitions they made and at least give them a chance to show what they can do when it counts. I also believe that the love for White, while entirely deserved, is out there mostly because we haven't had a whole lot of those types of players around, and again, I TOTALLY understand why. But having only 1 or 2 guys around that plays that style like White or Moen, proves that the organization is not exactly looking for that when it comes down to the final evaluation. If it comes between Pyatt and White, Martin will choose Pyatt because of his skating and his overall defensive awareness even if it's a little detrimental to the physicality of the team. Doesn't mean Martin doesn't like White....on the contrary, he'll have him on his team any day of the week....but in the end when it's decision time, you have to choose. Martin will choose the shoes he's more familiar with.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-29-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I loved White this preseason so far. But staying down to earth, I highly doubt he'll play this way consistently. If he does, **** A right, that's awesome. but kids try and go all out in order to crack the team and once they do they have a hard time keeping up. I'd love him on our team, but he may become a D'Agostini, meaning, very excellent at start, and slowly fade away. Eventually getting burned out by fans. I definitely would give him games in the NHL, maybe somewhere between 10-20. Only to really be able to evaluate his play and if he can keep up.

Even if he doesnt crack the team this year or doesn't have a full season, I'm not worried at all that he'll be in our lineup in the future.
From what I heard, he plays exactly the same way in the AHL, for every game. But I realize that the AHL and NHL are two different things. There is no question that he will need to prove himself capable of doing it in the NHL. In order to do so, he'll have to be given a chance, and that's what Training Camp is all about. That's where you earn your chance, and I think we can both agree that he earned it (at least for now. Camp isn't over yet.).

Quote:
Cup saves me from some posting, this is more or less how I feel about White.

Quite simply, either Darche gets put on waivers, or White is going to be sent down. The timing just isn't right. I also think spending more time in the AHL is beneficial for him to round out and develop his offensive game, something that is surely coming along. He is only going to get better, there is no rush with the kid. Plus, he will surely get his chance down the line.

Halpern will be in the starting lineup as far as I am concerned. And I think too many people are too quick to rule him out, he is a good player.
Yes, knowing our current management, I think most would be surprised if White is kept here over other players. But there's always a chance they might decide to do something differently and keep him on.
The kid has been impressive all camp as of now. Maybe after a couple other games, his performance will drop. I guess we'll see, Camp doesn't end tomorrow.

I'm not ruling out Halpern, I think it's a pretty decent depth signing. They will obviously want to give him a chance seeing how they signed him for a role as a regular player.

But I also agree that it wouldn't hurt White to start in AHL. He will go back down with the satisfaction of a good camp and will work hard to become the 1st forward called back up.

I wanted White to stay with us last year instead of Pyatt, I'd still do now. But I also rather have Pyatt-White than White-Halpern.
I don't want Pyatt out of our roster.

Anyways, it's a safe bet thinking White will be the one starting in AHL.

Old
09-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
From what I heard, he plays exactly the same way in the AHL, for every game. But I realize that the AHL and NHL are two different things. There is no question that he will need to prove himself capable of doing it in the NHL. In order to do so, he'll have to be given a chance, and that's what Training Camp is all about. That's where you earn your chance, and I think we can both agree that he earned it (at least for now. Camp isn't over yet.).

Yes, knowing our current management, I think most would be surprised if White is kept here over other players. But there's always a chance they might decide to do something differently and keep him on.
The kid has been impressive all camp as of now. Maybe after a couple other games, his performance will drop. I guess we'll see, Camp doesn't end tomorrow.

I'm not ruling out Halpern, I think it's a pretty decent depth signing. They will obviously want to give him a chance seeing how they signed him for a role as a regular player.

But I also agree that it wouldn't hurt White to start in AHL. He will go back down with the satisfaction of a good camp and will work hard to become the 1st forward called back up.

I wanted White to stay with us last year instead of Pyatt, I'd still do now. But I also rather have Pyatt-White than White-Halpern.
I don't want Pyatt out of our roster.

Anyways, it's a safe bet thinking White will be the one starting in AHL.

Oh yea, I definitely agree. Rookies that showoff real good in preseason deserve a few games in the NHL. That's for sure. These games should be within 10-20 games just to see how the rookie fairs. If he can keep up and what not. I'm very in favor of having White play a few games with us, if I were to take the decision now that is. Something to give him to chew on. Be it a sort of trial, like they did with Patches last year. I'm sure that was good for him, keeped him focused.

But as it stands, Moen gets favor over White because he's experienced and we know he's tough, gets the job done and puts in his all especially in playoffs. Moen may also score a bit more depending what line he's on and how JM rearranges the team in order to generate more offense (wouldn't count on it too much though). Plus, its Moen, the guy's jsut great.

Pyatt also takes it over White. Even if White has been more appealing, entertaining and flashy. The reaso is that Pyatt is an incredible defensive player, he barely takes penalties and has a good read on players. This guy gave Ovechkin a hard time, i clearly remember Pyatt often taking away the puc from him. The only reason people see Pyatt as a plug, is because his offensive skills are lacking. But he's still very young. And he has a very good defensive background, enough that he can start improving his offensive skills. If Pyatt messes up a bit, he'll be right where he's best, D playing. I like this kid, if he develops his offensive skills. He can become a huge asset for the team.

I love White. But last season, I wasn't too impressed. He did nice, gave some energy and a bit of grit. But I just don't see him cracking the team for the entire season unless there's an injury. But one thing is for sure, he'll get a spot in the team, if he stays and keeps improving. I must admit, i do see improvement in him now compared to last season.

Old
09-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

White will be in Montreal full time at some point in the next 13 months, people need to stop panicking just because he may not make the opening night roster. As has been stated a hundred times, it makes little sense keeping him as 13th forward ahead of Darche instead of playing 20 minutes a game AHL in their top 6.

Also, at some point we'll have guys hurt up front and he'll get a more extended look.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

I'm sorry if i make it sound like i don't like Pyatt, that's not the case at all, but look at this line-up..

Eller-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Pouliot-Boyd-Lappierre
Moen-Halpern-White

Who do you take out for Pyatt? You know with my opinion on toughness, White and Moen HAVE to stay for now. We're fine on pk too, we have Gomez-Gionta, Plekanec-Moen, Lappierre, Boyd, White and Halpern too. Do we really need so many?

Old
09-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm sorry if i make it sound like i don't like Pyatt, that's not the case at all, but look at this line-up..

Eller-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Boyd-Lappierre
Moen-Halpern-White

Who do you take out for Pyatt? You know with my opinion on toughness, White and Moen HAVE to stay for now. We're fine on pk too, we have Gomez-Gionta, Plekanec-Moen, Lappierre, Boyd, White and Halpern too. Do we really need so many?
I would say that if anybody loses their spot to White it would be Pouliot. Pyatt plays his PK/shutdown role very well and is better than White in this aspect, his play in the playoffs also earns him some points.

If you were to play White ahead of Pouliot though, can he be sent down or does he have to go through waivers? With Markov out and potentially on IR, I can see keeping 23 players instead of 24 though so White could stick that way.

Old
09-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Maxpac

Quote:

White would bring energy to a team that lacks focus and momentum on some nights, Moen does not have it in him to bring that to the team, he protects players and is a good grinder, but we have nobody on the team that would bring that spark back. Kind of like the games where Laraque beat up Shelley and May and the game started from there, but with a big hit, or a scrap with a middleweight.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:28 AM
BARLOUTE

I would say that if anybody loses their spot to White it would be Pouliot.

I was thinking the same thing, If I was pouliot, I would start to worried cause I dont think he did much in the pre season so far, and I rather have white on the third line then pouliot, he was much more to bring there.

Eller-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Boyd-Lappierre
Moen-Halpern-White

its to bad they have sign Halpern, I imagine they figure that a few forward will get hurt during the season, I would like to see pyatt center the fourth line before Halpern.

BARLOUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARLOUTE View Post
I would say that if anybody loses their spot to White it would be Pouliot.

I was thinking the same thing, If I was pouliot, I would start to worried cause I dont think he did much in the pre season so far, and I rather have white on the third line then pouliot, he was much more to bring there.

Eller-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Boyd-Lappierre
Moen-Halpern-White

its to bad they have sign Halpern, I imagine they figure that a few forward will get hurt during the season, I would like to see pyatt center the fourth line before Halpern.
Why is it too bad we signed Halpern?

Do you want to use Plekanec as a shutdown guy and have to play a lot of PK? That's the whole point of getting Halpern, so he takes care of a lot of defensive responsibility so our skill guys can get less of those responsibilities, plus he'll chip in 10-12 goals and provide grit, be a pain in the butt to play against. Pyatt is a winger and he will also contribute in the same areas.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
White would bring energy to a team that lacks focus and momentum on some nights, Moen does not have it in him to bring that to the team, he protects players and is a good grinder, but we have nobody on the team that would bring that spark back. Kind of like the games where Laraque beat up Shelley and May and the game started from there, but with a big hit, or a scrap with a middleweight.
Moen plays exactly the same style as White, how does one "bring energy" and the other doesn't? I guess the HF glasses are taking effect.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Moen plays exactly the same style as White, how does one "bring energy" and the other doesn't? I guess the HF glasses are taking effect.
Because some are protectors and some are energisers. It's not about him being a kid, it's how his play is seen by the other players, Moen doesn't start scraps or talk much. He's a better hockey player, but in a different mold then White.

Old
09-29-2010, 11:01 AM
BARLOUTE

Pyatt is a winger and he will also contribute in the same areas.

I was pretty sure pyatt is a center and I just check on nhl.com and it says he is a center, he might be as good as a winger but here we have white , lapierre and and boyd that are all center but some of them will play wings, I rather keep those 4 in the line up at all time then having halpern.

Dont forget too that If we do have a game with lots of penalty, plekanec and Gomez will play on pk, cause the coach wont sit them to long he probably want to keep those 2 center in the game.

Even some of the guys on RDS was saying they did not need Halpern with after they seen what they saw in the pre season game.

BARLOUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Oh yea, I definitely agree. Rookies that showoff real good in preseason deserve a few games in the NHL. That's for sure. These games should be within 10-20 games just to see how the rookie fairs. If he can keep up and what not. I'm very in favor of having White play a few games with us, if I were to take the decision now that is. Something to give him to chew on. Be it a sort of trial, like they did with Patches last year. I'm sure that was good for him, keeped him focused.

But as it stands, Moen gets favor over White because he's experienced and we know he's tough, gets the job done and puts in his all especially in playoffs. Moen may also score a bit more depending what line he's on and how JM rearranges the team in order to generate more offense (wouldn't count on it too much though). Plus, its Moen, the guy's jsut great.

Pyatt also takes it over White. Even if White has been more appealing, entertaining and flashy. The reaso is that Pyatt is an incredible defensive player, he barely takes penalties and has a good read on players. This guy gave Ovechkin a hard time, i clearly remember Pyatt often taking away the puc from him. The only reason people see Pyatt as a plug, is because his offensive skills are lacking. But he's still very young. And he has a very good defensive background, enough that he can start improving his offensive skills. If Pyatt messes up a bit, he'll be right where he's best, D playing. I like this kid, if he develops his offensive skills. He can become a huge asset for the team.

I love White. But last season, I wasn't too impressed. He did nice, gave some energy and a bit of grit. But I just don't see him cracking the team for the entire season unless there's an injury. But one thing is for sure, he'll get a spot in the team, if he stays and keeps improving. I must admit, i do see improvement in him now compared to last season.
I disagree with you about White last year. I felt he brought something we lacked off, and still do, to our team.
I remember him laying out Phaneuf I think it was. He was good for us. Pyatt might have been a little bit better because he backchecked more, but I still felt White was more important to keep. It all doesn't matter now anyways seeing as he was sent down.

I wouldn't want either of those guys gone. I want Moen-Pyatt-White to be our 4th line. I think it would be a perfect one. Both Moen and Pyatt are good, I have nothing against them.

I would sit out Halpern. But I do know that the chances of this happening are rather slim. Teams generally tend to give a priority chance to the players they signed, and rightfully so.
I guess we will see in about a week.

Old
09-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
I disagree with you about White last year. I felt he brought something we lacked off, and still do, to our team.
I remember him laying out Phaneuf I think it was. He was good for us. Pyatt might have been a little bit better because he backchecked more, but I still felt White was more important to keep. It all doesn't matter now anyways seeing as he was sent down.

I wouldn't want either of those guys gone. I want Moen-Pyatt-White to be our 4th line. I think it would be a perfect one. Both Moen and Pyatt are good, I have nothing against them.

I would sit out Halpern. But I do know that the chances of this happening are rather slim. Teams generally tend to give a priority chance to the players they signed, and rightfully so.
I guess we will see in about a week.
Oh I agree, he did bring some energy. But last season, it wasn't something to care about too much. It was kind of like Stewart's debut. A lot of energy, scoring chances, a lot grit and nice hits. I'm not saying White was bad or useless, far from it. I'm just saying that I didn't feel like he stood out too much. At least, not to the point that I would keep him for a full season. He did have his uses, that's for sure. But he's definitely improved. Last year, it mostly seemed that he would be a gritty, go into the corner and hit opponents type of player. Now he can show that he has offensive skills for hi to score points. I just don't think he's there yet. And last year, I didn't find he was too impressive, he did have his uses though that's for sure.

I just saw his play kind of the same way our team started to be more gritty in eastern finals vs Flyers. Sure we hit a lot, but was the outcome good enough that the hits and grit was really necessary? No, it took away from what we should have focused more. Its the way I saw White's play last year. But then again, last year, he had not shown too many good arguments that he'd have good offensive skills.

I'll be interested in following his development for sure.

A Pyatt-Halpern line can be interesting. Two defensive minded players. one very well experienced and the other a rookie that had good defensive skills. (that is if what I've read on halpern being defensive is true)

Last edited by Cupmonger: 09-29-2010 at 12:04 PM.