HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Right Direction for Gaineys Habs

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 01:13 PM
galactus

vCash: 500
Right Direction for Gaineys Habs

I have said for the past 3 years that without grit and toughness you will not win the one goal games. Haven said that my first choice would of been a Grant Marshall, Walker, a Laraque etc. but when I came back to reality and realize that the Habs would have to give up a draft pick or a prospect to obtain the above I than understand why Gainey made the moves he did today.

Come the start of the season the Habs will score more goals and I will tell you why. It’s not because Langdon and Begin will score the big goals for the Habs but because with Langdon and Begin in the line up players like Audette, Bulis, Perrault, Dackell, Sundstrum, Juneau etc. will have
the confidence and the willingness to bang the net and fight for the puck in front of the net, something that they would not do before.

Langdon and Begin will let the other teams know that cheap shot season on Habs players has come to an end and respect will be expected. Other teams may still want to ***** slap players on the Habs but now they will
think twice before they do and will make sure they first check to see who is on the ice before they do.

I have seen Langdon play and he will win more fights then not and he will give the team respect unlike Dwyer who is more of a punching bag and in my opinion makes his team mates feel sorry for him when he gets into a fight.

Begin is not a fighter but will let other team know when he is on the ice because if they keep their head down Begin will introduce himself to them in a hurry. He will add some much needed grit along with Langdon and Begin will keep other players honest before the skate past the red line.

In all good moves by Gainey. Nothing exciting but very intelligent moves as he definitely sees what the problem is. Their will be more moves as players like Juneau, Perrault. Dackell will be eventually replaced before the season ends as young blood is waiting in the wings.

We still need help at centre desperately and as much as most Habs fans do not seem to like a player like Phoniex’s Gratton or the flyers Primeau without a doubt they would be assets to the Habs but the question is what is the cost.

my 2 cents.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:41 PM
doc lafleur

Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
I have said for the past 3 years that without grit and toughness you will not win the one goal games. Haven said that my first choice would of been a Grant Marshall, Walker, a Laraque etc. but when I came back to reality and realize that the Habs would have to give up a draft pick or a prospect to obtain the above I than understand why Gainey made the moves he did today.

Come the start of the season the Habs will score more goals and I will tell you why. It’s not because Langdon and Begin will score the big goals for the Habs but because with Langdon and Begin in the line up players like Audette, Bulis, Perrault, Dackell, Sundstrum, Juneau etc. will have
the confidence and the willingness to bang the net and fight for the puck in front of the net, something that they would not do before.

Langdon and Begin will let the other teams know that cheap shot season on Habs players has come to an end and respect will be expected. Other teams may still want to ***** slap players on the Habs but now they will
think twice before they do and will make sure they first check to see who is on the ice before they do.

I have seen Langdon play and he will win more fights then not and he will give the team respect unlike Dwyer who is more of a punching bag and in my opinion makes his team mates feel sorry for him when he gets into a fight.

Begin is not a fighter but will let other team know when he is on the ice because if they keep their head down Begin will introduce himself to them in a hurry. He will add some much needed grit along with Langdon and Begin will keep other players honest before the skate past the red line.

In all good moves by Gainey. Nothing exciting but very intelligent moves as he definitely sees what the problem is. Their will be more moves as players like Juneau, Perrault. Dackell will be eventually replaced before the season ends as young blood is waiting in the wings.

We still need help at centre desperately and as much as most Habs fans do not seem to like a player like Phoniex’s Gratton or the flyers Primeau without a doubt they would be assets to the Habs but the question is what is the cost.

my 2 cents.

Best 2 cents i have found in a long time.

Love your article, i agree with you. Those two guys will not score many, but will add about 10 pounds to every other player in the line-up. Will give Quintal, Souray, Dwyer some room to pick their opponent in the same weight class.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:11 PM
caper13

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus

your 2 cents is worth amillion dollars well said.

my 2 cents.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Joe Malone

Nice post galactus. I'm for toughness and grit in a huge way too. Hockey is a physical game, and unless you can establish a physical presence on the ice, you can't establish much of a game plan either. (Unless your game plan is to be outshot 45-15 night after night.)

It's all about respect. Other teams have no respect for the present-day version of the Habs, and therefore take liberties, and play the game the way they, the opposition, want to play. We need players in the lineup who will hold the opposition accountable for their actions on the ice. Allow our talented players to have some room out there, and play their game.

I still like Dwyer, not for his fighting talents obviously, but for his honest effort, his sticking up for his mates, finishing his checks, playing a fairly smart game, and singing Irish drinking songs in the dressing room. I wish there was a role for him on the team. An energy player, like Hound Dog Kelly of the '70's Flyers, if you remember him. Fred Shero used Kelly 2 or 3 times a period, and Kelly was like the Tasmanian Devil once he hit the ice, and hit everyone else in sight.

Anyway, we'll be getting more respect this season, and we're definitely headed in the right direction.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:30 PM
skidboot

cheers.

lets hope you are a prophet!!!

Old
10-03-2003, 04:47 PM
tritone

Hear Hear!!!

Absolutely 100% agree! Right on the mark ! I kind of like Dwyer for his courage but he's just not a good enough fighter. Let's hope our small guys can develop a sense of feeling protected now and skate like the wind without worrying about their teamate getting the hell beaten out of him for sticking up.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
I still like Dwyer, not for his fighting talents obviously, but for his honest effort, his sticking up for his mates, finishing his checks, playing a fairly smart game, and singing Irish drinking songs in the dressing room. I wish there was a role for him on the team. An energy player, like Hound Dog Kelly of the '70's Flyers, if you remember him. Fred Shero used Kelly 2 or 3 times a period, and Kelly was like the Tasmanian Devil once he hit the ice, and hit everyone else in sight.
Hey, here's what Gordie did tonight, as written in TSN's article on the game. I really believe he could be a big physical force, not expected to score. (or win fights. :p )

"Gordie Dwyer - whose position as the Canadiens enforcer was put in jeopardy when the Habs claimed Vancouver tough guy Darren Langdon in Friday's waiver draft - played a high energy game, finishing all his checks and generally being a pest."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...28&hubName=nhl

Old
10-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
Hey, here's what Gordie did tonight, as written in TSN's article on the game. I really believe he could be a big physical force, not expected to score. (or win fights. :p )

"Gordie Dwyer - whose position as the Canadiens enforcer was put in jeopardy when the Habs claimed Vancouver tough guy Darren Langdon in Friday's waiver draft - played a high energy game, finishing all his checks and generally being a pest."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...28&hubName=nhl
That's exactly what Dwyer is. He's not a fighter, he's an energy player that finishes his checks and will stick up for his teammates. If they plan on using Ryder in a bigger role than 4th liner, then Kilger - Begin - Dwyer could become our 4th line (with Langdon taking Kilger's place in the games where we expect some nastyness).

I like this much better than Juneau and Dackell on the 4th line.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Ryan Madden

i'm all for keeping dwyer up as well. more toughness, more heart. let's bang some bodies!!!

Old
10-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
That's exactly what Dwyer is. He's not a fighter, he's an energy player that finishes his checks and will stick up for his teammates. If they plan on using Ryder in a bigger role than 4th liner, then Kilger - Begin - Dwyer could become our 4th line (with Langdon taking Kilger's place in the games where we expect some nastyness).

I like this much better than Juneau and Dackell on the 4th line.
Kilger - Begin - Dwyer....Nice line "Crash and Bang" line. In all honesty, I haven't seen Begin much, but from what I read, he keeps the opponents honest, and gets under their skin.

I don't want to belittle or disregard Juneau and Dackell, but they've served their purpose in Montreal. I appreciate what they've brought, but we need to develop a physical edge that they don't provide. We need to be able to go into another team's barn with a little cockiness, because we know we have the boys that can deliver when the going gets rough.

We're getting there.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:06 PM
MVP

Langdon and Begin is all about the youth movement. It is obvious that they don't have much offensive or defensive skill, but they both will give everything they got in every single shift in the game and in the practice. And that will hopefully inspire the younger players in Montreal to do the same.

Closed Thread