HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings and some team, 8-3 Final.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
SLang

vCash: 500
Really trying to restrain my enthusiasm here, but damn we're getting close to what we're going to see on the ice to start the season and there's a lot to like.

Not really happy to see the late game breakdown but I guess you gotta figure that for so many players nothing was really on the line anymore, but, at the same time, intensity has to be kept high all 60 minutes....TM has to handle that.

Looks like the coaching staff and DL have some tough decisions. What a nice problem to have.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:06 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Defgarden

Schenn won that round!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
The way I imagined that coming to fruition was much more exciting and initiated on Schenn's part.

Something about being Diego Montoya and killing his father?

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:53 AM
onlyalad

Not to be Debbrah Downier but it was only one (preseason) game. Sure the Kings looked great, but it may have been the Ducks are just really, really, REALLY bad.

Ok I can't do it. Turned on the channel 5 news this morning and they were talking about the Kings with some radio sports guy. Talking crazy stuff like the Kings are the Best team in LA. Wishing I could have saved that game on my DVR so I could watch it again today. Just a few years ago we were worried about having to keep some of the guys on the team, now we wish there were more roster spots. Tough choices for the coaches this week and they are all good. (44DD had a bad game but everyone does )

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:22 AM
santiclaws

It was great, but just one preseason game. Don't forget the others, in which the Kings got smoked.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

San Jose and Phoenix are the teams in the Pacific Division to measure the Kings against, not Anaheim and Dallas. That being said, you still have to play every team in the division and it would be wise for the Kings to gobble up as many points as possible against the Ducks and Stars.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:51 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
It was great, but just one preseason game. Don't forget the others, in which the Kings got smoked.

PERFECT reference pic!!!

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:04 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Sorry bro but I can't take your post seriously since you're a Real Madrid fan.

I'll give Hickey another look, but Muzzin looked slightly better to me tonight.

Anybody care about Möller or Lewis at this point?
Oscar and Trevor who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I'm calling it now. Schenn makes the team, Clifford doesn't. Parse better hurry up and get health as well, Loktionov is going to take his spot, soon. I also don't get the Muzzin love, he's as bad as Drewiske, and both guys should be Manchester bound.
I sat on the glass at the kings blueline and watched Muzzin closely. I thought he jumped out of position a couple of times but played well defensively, got the puck on net with crisp low shots and played the man well. Was mostly good with the puck at the point too. Hickey is more fluid but overall thought Muzzin had more impact on the game. Its a very close call.

Loktionov was very good, and both Schenn and Clifford played their games. Those guys know they are battling amongst themselves and its fun to watch them take it up a notch, and then again, and then again. Clifford's effort on the goal right after Lokti scored was huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Disagree big time. Muzzin didn't make bad plays. He steady and composed. He covers his own mistakes whereas Drewiskes mistakes led directly to scoring chances. I'm not saying Muzzin > Drewiske, but I definitely say that from what I've seen in this game and in practices, Muzzin > Hickey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
Muzzin looked pretty good out there, but I thought Hickey had the better game tonight. Both guys made mistakes (not as bad as Drewiske) but Hickey definitely looked more sharper than Muzzin.

Hickey > Muzzin
someone start a poll.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I was at the game sitting in the 100 section. Heidi Androl walked by, man what a hottie.

Back to the game, this is probably the most excited I've been about a Kings team in years. The team seemed to have a bit of that "swagger" that Lombardi talked about, there were top players at every level on the Kings. The guys had attitude and it showed.

Clifford was my favorite player tonight, after a whistle Perry stood in front of Quick and Clifford just shoved him away. When was the last time a Kings player did that.

Drewiske didn't look great at first and then didn't stand out at all...

My brother kept commenting on how much he liked Muzzin, I thought Hickey looked better. At one point Sutton charged in and Hickey ducked his check and came out with the puck.

Schenn is a stud, he worked Sbisa.

Justin Williams looked the best he has.

Loktionov was really solid and confident and didn't look out of place with the top Kings players on the power play.
So who gets cut and who makes the team, in your opinion?

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:50 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I think Lewis is on the outside looking in, at least at this point.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Lewis is definitely at a disadvantage in the depth chart. He has lost too much ground. He could head the way of Brian Boyle real soon in my opinion.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
How so? Wouldn't you rather have Lewis as a spare forward than Loktionov? Loktionov can't be a spare, he needs to be playing full time hockey, can't afford to have him sit as a healthy scratch but we can affod to have Lewis as a spare guy, comes in from time to time.. I still think this is the lineup, barring an injury to Parse:

Smyth-Kopitar-Brown
Parse-Stoll-Williams
Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn-Westgarth
(Clune, Lewis)

Doughty-Mitchell
Johnson-Scuderi
Drewiske-Hickey
Harrold

Quick
Bernier

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:31 PM
MollerManor

Quote:
How so? Wouldn't you rather have Lewis as a spare forward than Loktionov? Loktionov can't be a spare, he needs to be playing full time hockey, can't afford to have him sit as a healthy scratch but we can affod to have Lewis as a spare guy, comes in from time to time.. I still think this is the lineup, barring an injury to Parse:

Smyth-Kopitar-Brown
Parse-Stoll-Williams
Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn-Westgarth
(Clune, Lewis)

Doughty-Mitchell
Johnson-Scuderi
Drewiske-Hickey
Harrold

Quick
Bernier
This. Then give the bump to Drewiske when Greene comes back and that is money.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Pucknut50

Ducks depended on Niedymeyer and Pronger so much in the past and now that they are gone the forwards have to work that much harder to get to the attacking zone. It's such a luxury to have a defensemen that can carry or make that quick outlet pass to get play up ice. When your shifts are 40 sec long you don't want to spend 30 of it on the defensive side.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I was at the game sitting in the 100 section. Heidi Androl walked by, man what a hottie.
I was in 105 (just realized the irony haha!) and she sat directly behind me.

Jack Johnson played a great game and he and Doughty work the puck great on the powerplay. Jack could have a big year this year.

Justin Williams also was very encouraging. He had good speed and looked pretty good out there.

Schenn and Loktionov both need to make the team. Send Schenn down to juniors once Parse is healthy unless Schenn has outplayed Loktionov by that point.

Good lord the Ducks goalie and defense were awful last night. I feel bad for Lubo. I couldn't tell if the Kings were playing good or the Ducks just suck that bad. Although, i noticed they had a lot of young guys on D. Ryan Getzlaf is a joke. He goes after Handzus in the last 4 minutes of the game. He also looked like he wasn't even trying out there. He looked very disinterested and didn't appear to be putting much effort in. Perry is the same old ***** he always has been.

Finally, I can't wait for Doughty and Bobby Ryan to fight this year! I wish that would have happened last night.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
What an awesome game last night.

Loktionov & Schenn are making it really difficult . . I want them both on the team!

God I love hockey.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Good question....I think it is going to surprise people and I think the injury to Parse plays a part...I think that opens up an extra spot...

Smyth-Kopitar-Brown
?????-Stoll-Williams (Richie could move up here)
Poni-Zeus-Simmonds
Richardson(this could be open if Richie moves to 2nd line)-????-Westgarth

I think Loki or Schenn could take that 2nd line LW spot and the other could center the 4th line or Richie moves up and that leaves a C and LW on the 4th line. I don't know what Lewis has done so far, but he is in the mix too...

As much as I love Clifford, I still see Clune making it, because he can be a spare forward...we don't want Kyle sitting occasionally.

I see Schenn, Loki making it and one of them getting sent back when Parse is back. I think Hickey makes it over Muzzin.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:37 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
As much as I love Clifford, I still see Clune making it, because he can be a spare forward...we don't want Kyle sitting occasionally.
My thoughts exactly. Although I think management probably wants to give Clifford a few games at the beginning of the season. It will help boost his development.

Quote:
I think Hickey makes it over Muzzin.
But will Drewiske make it over Muzzin? Since coming back from injury last year, DD44 has done nothing to warrant a top 6 defensive spot on this team.

Last edited by johnjm22: 09-29-2010 at 02:52 PM.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Ya you guys! Don't you know Quick should stop every shot directed his way? Even one's that are deflected right in front of him???
Ya - even the (weak) bad angle shots from above the circle? and the tip-ins from zero angle (well, it should have been zero angle if Quick could stay on the post, but I digress)

Quick was barely tested, and he gave up 3 goals.

Believe me, it's hard to point that out when you score 8, but he played like he's been handed the #1 spot, like he doesn't know that Bernier is breathing down his neck to take his job. If he plays like that for many more games, Bernier will be the #1 by Thanksgiving - no, make that Halloween.

Hard to tell if the Kings played great or if the Ducks just sucked it up more than I thought they could. Sunday will be a good test - I may have to make it down to Ponda...

And Getzlaf played like such a little *****, he should be embarassed.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:56 PM
wicker

As for Poni... I was lukewarm about the signing, but he looks like the right fit for that line. He belongs there, absolutely.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Night train hugging Koivu and Ryan

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Although I think management probably wants to give Clifford a few games at the beginning of the season. It will help boost his development.

But will Drewiske make it over Muzzin? Since coming back from injury last year, DD44 has done nothing to warrant a top 6 defensive spot on this team.
Completely agree. Hickey makes it over Muzzin but Muzzin is killing Drewiskes chances. I feel like playing Drewiske the clip from Slapshot of the GM yelling at the team in the lockerroom, "You're losing!!!"

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:17 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
As for Poni... I was lukewarm about the signing, but he looks like the right fit for that line. He belongs there, absolutely.
I agree 100%. Though I think Fro is the more talented between the two, Poni is the better fit for the line and role, which makes him better FOR US. Last time after the game, my husband and I turned to each other and asked "So, Fro?....nope, didn't miss him one bit." I know he was great at cycling the puck, but you can't argue with 6 shots on goal from Poni and I thought his puck possession was great last night. Again, just one game, but I didn't miss Fro for one second. Every line controlled the puck and went into the corners. That may be because the Ducks or terrible, but even so, we still controlled it.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

From Lgk:
(Ryan and Doughty)
Ryan took his typical "garbage time" run at someone but this time it was at Doughty. It was along the boards at the blue-line but of course Doughty being the player he is, dodged the check and Ryan barely got a piece of him. Doughty then started laughing at Ryan followed by what I'm going to assume was a lot of "s**t talking," while having a big grin on his face. Ryan was obviously beyond frustrated and Doughty just oozes with confidence, basically looked like he just snapped.

I would have payed extra money to see those two actually throw down. Might have actually happened too if everyone didn't jump in, which is completely understandable on both sides.

Prediction: DD will beat the crap out of Ryan this season.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote