HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Steve zipay twitter

Old
09-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Ke11y96

vCash: 500
It's gonna get interesting because Torts wants the roster trimmed down to at least 23 players, and if any trades are to be made they'll be made at least before saturday's game this way they team can try out whatever moves they do, or don't make...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:55 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Weiss is one of those guys who's kind of puzzling. Tons of skill, but never seemed to put it all together until recently. I could see the team gambling on him being a late bloomer who is now ready to take the next step. Question is, what is Florida's asking price?
It is exactly the kind of gamble I could see Sather taking. Is he an upgrade over EC? Sure, so are pretty much all of the centers playing on their teams' top two lines in the NHL.

If we give up Dubinsky ++ for him, I will not be happy. That move does not in any way help us long term and Weiss would not make us a serious contender.

So it probably happens.

09-29-2010, 09:57 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Mike Sauer for Viktor Tikhonov or Brett MacLean.
I really think Mike Sauer has some serious upside. IF he stays healthy your looking at an Adam Foote type of d-man who is going to put in a good, long career staying completely unnoticed. He could anchor the 2nd pairing in the future. At the same time with McD and VTank he might be a bit redundant.

At the same time like both Tikhonov and MacLean. Help me here - from what I've seen/read/heard MacLean probably has the higher upside in terms offensive stats while Tikhonov has a more complete game, right? Tough choice!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Ke11y96

How many preseason games has dubinsky played in so far? anyone know? at least one but any more than that?

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
It is exactly the kind of gamble I could see Sather taking. Is he an upgrade over EC? Sure, so are pretty much all of the centers playing on their teams' top two lines in the NHL.

If we give up Dubinsky ++ for him, I will not be happy. That move does not in any way help us long term and Weiss would not make us a serious contender.

So it probably happens.
I could see it too. Not sure how I feel about it. Weiss strikes me as one of those guys who is always going to fall short of his potential, but if Sather thinks he's on the verge of cracking that 70+ point barrier, I could see him pulling the trigger.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Sauer is much closer to another Dan Girardi than an Adam Foote.

But its really nice to see camp has shown the fanbase what his usefulnesses are. I was pissed when he was cut early last offseason, he would have been a steadying force as opposed to Gilroy's poor D and only 4 goals to make up for it. Sauer seems to be making his case this year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Be careful what you wish for. MacLean is already back in San Antonio and Tikhonov may be headed there too if he doesn't go back to Russia. Both are 3rd year pros and they are essentially in the same rock/hard place scenario as Sauer. Coyotes have 17 forwards still in camp. Turris will probably make the big club but Prucha may be in trouble. Coyotes are actively searching for a stay at home defenseman.
I hadn't gotten this far before I posted. Obviously neither MacLean nor Tikhonov have looked great in camp. What are your thoughts on both of these guys. As I said earlier I can see Sauer becoming a very solid 2nd pairing d-man in this league for years to come. I know you gotta give to get but......

Old
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Sauer had a really strong game - except for one bonehead giveaway really early. Seems like he's shaking off the nerves. We can't give him away for nothing via waivers - he has to make the team.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:04 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Sauer is much closer to another Dan Girardi than an Adam Foote.

But its really nice to see camp has shown the fanbase what his usefulnesses are. I was pissed when he was cut early last offseason, he would have been a steadying force as opposed to Gilroy's poor D and only 4 goals to make up for it. Sauer seems to be making his case this year.
As I wrote that I knew I was going to get strung up. I should have said a poor mans Adam Foote. Foote was a true top pairing shut down d-man. I think Sauer will be closer to a 2nd pairing solid d-man who you won't notice most of of the time but will quitely do his job. He's been well coached - his positioning and play in his own zone is pretty solid. The injury history still bothers me though.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:10 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Sauer had a really strong game - except for one bonehead giveaway really early. Seems like he's shaking off the nerves. We can't give him away for nothing via waivers - he has to make the team.
As per http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

About those waivers (and Mike Sauer)

I see there have been several (plenty) of questions about waivers and who must pass through them. All logical inquiries since the final cutdowns are coming.

Without getting bogged down in the CBA language to figure out the formula of age, years and NHL games that leave a player needing waivers, here’s the list of players currently on the Rangers roster who would NOT have to pass through waivers to be sent to Hartford (AHL): Derek Stepan, Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko, Artem Anisimov and Michael Del Zotto. Those last two, of course, will be definitely be on the team.

Last edited by BlueHavok: 09-29-2010 at 10:16 PM.
BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:12 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Staal-Sauer
MDZ-Rozsival
Valentenko-McDonagh
Eminger
Yes, those players are defensemen, but that is not at all a realistic idea.

SomE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:13 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Yes, those players are defensemen, but that is not at all a realistic idea.
I was just going off apparent rumors people have stated they heard today.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Slick Rick 61

Baseless speculation here, but with the Rangers also being interested in a defenseman, I wonder if they're looking at someone like Jan Hejda. Columbus has a lot of D men, and they seem high on some of the young guys like Kris Russell and John Moore.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:20 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I could see it too. Not sure how I feel about it. Weiss strikes me as one of those guys who is always going to fall short of his potential, but if Sather thinks he's on the verge of cracking that 70+ point barrier, I could see him pulling the trigger.
There is no doubt in my mind that if Weiss plays a whole season with Gaborik, he'll crack 70 pts. Love his game. Florida's asking price will probably be outrageous.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:20 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
Baseless speculation here, but with the Rangers also being interested in a defenseman, I wonder if they're looking at someone like Jan Hejda. Columbus has a lot of D men, and they seem high on some of the young guys like Kris Russell and John Moore.

I dont think Jackets will be in a hurry to part with Moore.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Slick Rick 61

I said they're high on Moore and obviously he and Russell are untouchable. I'm thinking maybe they are looking at someone like Hejda, who could possibly be movable with 1 year and 2M left on his deal.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that if Weiss plays a whole season with Gaborik, he'll crack 70 pts. Love his game. Florida's asking price will probably be outrageous.
I agree. I am pretty high on him.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:28 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
I said they're high on Moore and obviously he and Russell are untouchable. I'm thinking maybe they are looking at someone like Hejda, who could possibly be movable with 1 year and 2M left on his deal.

I should've read your post properly. Never mind me.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:30 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
I hadn't gotten this far before I posted. Obviously neither MacLean nor Tikhonov have looked great in camp. What are your thoughts on both of these guys. As I said earlier I can see Sauer becoming a very solid 2nd pairing d-man in this league for years to come. I know you gotta give to get but......
I like Tikhonov. I was surprised they sent him down last year. When he played with Hanzal, they were 2/3rds of a pretty good defensive line that also chipped in some offense. I see him as a 14-18 goal scorer with the occasional 20+ season. He's a 3rd year pro and just turned 22. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be Tippett's kind of guy.

I've only seen MacLean in exhibitions and scrimmages but he's not gotten a chance to play regular season with the big club. When Upshall as hurt last spring, he was brought to Phoenix and practiced with the Coyotes for several days but they sent him back down. That worries me because at the time they needed offense and he was a 30 goal guy in the AHL. His skating isn't great and I suspect he doesn't compete hard enough at both ends of the rink.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any preseason games so I can't comment on Sauer but I am pulling for him to make the big club. Great family, hard working player. If he gets moved, then I'd like to see him in Phoenix because he fills a very specific Coyote need. When he came up two years ago I thought he played well (I seem to remember Torts' saying the same) but wasn't he was benched in Pittsburgh because of a Paul Mara turnover?

I can't imagine the Coyotes would give up Boedker. He may be back in the AHL again at the start of the season but I think he will be a front line NHL player. He has shown some tremendous flashes. The Rangers have a lot of guys I would consider trading for him.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Any update guys?

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:33 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I was just going off apparent rumors people have stated they heard today.
Fair enough. I'm liking how competitive this years camp has been. It's a shame some of these players have to be cut.

SomE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm liking how competitive this years camp has been. It's a shame some of these players have to be cut.
Agreed. I am also liking how Torts seems to be keeping an open mind on a lot of these players. This organization has a lot of very good young players.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:38 PM
beastly115

Quote:
This will be a test of asset management.

Sather has 3 options regarding Sauer:
1. He makes the team and stays.
2. He gets traded.
3. He gets sent down and (possibly) claimed off waivers.

Sauer is NHL ready. There's no way Sather will send a valuable asset like Sauer through waivers and risk him being claimed. He either gets traded or plays with the big club. We will not lose him for nothing.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:52 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

LOL how exatcly does Dubinsky not fit this roster?

I swear sometimes people say things just to get a rise out of others.

Dubinsky is NOT getting traded.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:56 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
LOL how exatcly does Dubinsky not fit this roster?

I swear sometimes people say things just to get a rise out of others.

Dubinsky is NOT getting traded.
Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers too?

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote