HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'10-11 Sabres injuries (Post-season)

Old
09-29-2010, 10:09 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
1 word - HANGOVER (or some other kind of personal issue)

Lindy cant say one of his fan favs is hungover - so its... gotta be .. uh.. neck stiffness - hmmm yes that will do quite nicely...

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Vito_81

What's better to say to the media?

He's "not cleared to play", or we're going to sit him out because we don't want him to be injured by a cheapshot from some nobody AHL'er in a meaningless preseason game

I could be totally wrong, but think it's the Sabres being safe with Kaleta so that he sees as few preseason minutes as possible.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post

He's "not cleared to play", or we're going to sit him out because we don't want him to be injured by a cheapshot from some nobody AHL'er in a meaningless preseason game

I could be totally wrong, but think it's the Sabres being safe with Kaleta so that he sees as few preseason minutes as possible.
I think thats a pretty plausable take on this.

Old
09-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post

I completely forgot about Kaleta until a day or two ago, but once I remembered he's also on this team, that's exactly the reasoning I thought up for why they aren't playing him much this preseason.

Though, actual neck stiffness wouldn't surprise me either lol.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Kaleta expected to play against Habs: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...t-returns.html

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:12 AM
buffalowing88

I think it's absolutely unfounded to say Kaleta missed a game due to a hangover, pre-season or not. The guy has recurring neck issues and it has bothered him in the past. Believe me, I'd be happy to believe he just had a few too many at the bars, but I'm inclined to believe he is a professional, who just received a new contract, and would be ready to play if called upon.

What concerns me about Kaleta is that he will get the Baby Joe Mesi syndrome and be yet another Buffalo athlete who has injuries derail a good start to his career. I watch him every game with my father and we always speculate on when his career will end. This is not me being pessimistic but rather, realistic. The way Patty plays, we are lucky to have only signed him to a 2 year contract because he won't be in this league past the age of 30, let alone 27-28. It's exhilarating to watch him play, but you cannot go on like that for a full career. He is going to have these neck issues the rest of his time in the NHL.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:13 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I think this is the reason Kassian's getting a long look. Kaleta shouldn't be having this problem if it was rehabbed properly. It makes me wonder if the Sabres didn't see the need to send him to a physical therapist? It's not a DIY project.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:11 AM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I think this is the reason Kassian's getting a long look. Kaleta shouldn't be having this problem if it was rehabbed properly. It makes me wonder if the Sabres didn't see the need to send him to a physical therapist? It's not a DIY project.
I'm sure they've sent him to many a physical therapist. As someone who had to stop playing hockey at 20 because of recurrent neck/back issues, I can promise you that it will aggravate him the rest of his career, thus why I previously mentioned speculating on when he retires. It isn't me being pessimistic at all, it's just realism. Once those injuries occur you never totally recover. I had disc issues and it hampers me to this day. Kaleta is likely seeing the best WNY has to offer on the issue but if its his neck bothering him still, he's in trouble because of the way he plays. I would wager he doesent make 50 games this season.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
I'm sure they've sent him to many a physical therapist. As someone who had to stop playing hockey at 20 because of recurrent neck/back issues, I can promise you that it will aggravate him the rest of his career, thus why I previously mentioned speculating on when he retires. It isn't me being pessimistic at all, it's just realism. Once those injuries occur you never totally recover. I had disc issues and it hampers me to this day. Kaleta is likely seeing the best WNY has to offer on the issue but if its his neck bothering him still, he's in trouble because of the way he plays. I would wager he doesent make 50 games this season.
Gary Roberts would disagree with you.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
My point was, I don't see what one (throat contusion) has to do with the other (being less ready or in worse shape). I take his throat contusion to mean.... he has a throat contusion and nothing more. No idea why you're reading more into this.

A throat contusion isn't caused by not being in shape. Nor is taking a few days off right now going to stop him from being ready.
my point is that a throat contusion is causing him to miss practice and preseason time. For a man already behind due to offseason surgery, he needs to be on the ice. Especially because he's not in his 20's, and the 82 game grind is tougher on him than it is on someone more youthful.

So, I deduce that he's going to be a bit set back from missing even more practice time. The fact that he isn't on the ice is the problem.

Per TBN, he's still out with the contusion. Obviously his throat isn't bruised because of shoulder surgery, but his throat is causing him to miss more time. He would be further along in the self-rebuild process if he were on the ice practicing and not missing time with a throat issue.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Kaleta does have a recurring health problem, though, a neck ailment that has cost him parts of the previous two seasons and the first three games of this preseason. Stiffness in the neck has kept him on the sidelines so far, but he's expected to play tonight in Montreal with doctor's clearance.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle205552.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
my point is that a throat contusion is causing him to miss practice and preseason time. For a man already behind due to offseason surgery, he needs to be on the ice. Especially because he's not in his 20's, and the 82 game grind is tougher on him than it is on someone more youthful.

So, I deduce that he's going to be a bit set back from missing even more practice time. The fact that he isn't on the ice is the problem.

Per TBN, he's still out with the contusion. Obviously his throat isn't bruised because of shoulder surgery, but his throat is causing him to miss more time. He would be further along in the self-rebuild process if he were on the ice practicing and not missing time with a throat issue.
Fair enough.

Now we can got on with the speculation as to how one bruises their throat

Old
09-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Any word on Myers? I've read in a few places he was in pain at the end of the last game, but I didn't notice anything.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:56 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
Any word on Myers? I've read in a few places he was in pain at the end of the last game, but I didn't notice anything.
He was just cringing when told of Pierre's comment's about him showing off his "pipes" in the lockerroom.

In all serious I haven't heard or read anything. In that same broadcast they mentioned Leopold was dinged up but I haven't heard or read anything about that either.

Old
09-30-2010, 11:00 AM
joshjull

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...t-returns.html

Quote:
There always will be concern in Sabreland when the issue of Kaleta and his neck arise. Injuries to that part of his body have cost him 28 regular-season games since 2008.

"I think there's always concern when it pops up again," coach Lindy Ruff said.

Said Kaleta: "It's just stiffness and stuff. Once in a while I get that little issue going on there. I'm starting to learn when to catch it and not make it a big problem.

"Maybe in the past I pushed it in spots when I shouldn't have. I should have just took a little bit of rest and I'd have been fine. You learn over a few years here and from the older guys to take it easy when you can and heal up."

Old
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM
joshjull

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...t-returns.html

Quote:
There always will be concern in Sabreland when the issue of Kaleta and his neck arise. Injuries to that part of his body have cost him 28 regular-season games since 2008.

"I think there's always concern when it pops up again," coach Lindy Ruff said.

Said Kaleta: "It's just stiffness and stuff. Once in a while I get that little issue going on there. I'm starting to learn when to catch it and not make it a big problem.

"Maybe in the past I pushed it in spots when I shouldn't have. I should have just took a little bit of rest and I'd have been fine. You learn over a few years here and from the older guys to take it easy when you can and heal up.

Old
09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
He was just cringing when told of Pierre's comment's about him showing off his "pipes" in the lockerroom.

In all serious I haven't heard or read anything. In that same broadcast they mentioned Leopold was dinged up but I haven't heard or read anything about that either.
This is the best I can find for Myers:

Quote:
Tue, Sep 28

Myers (leg) came off the ice in obvious pain late in Tuesday's 2-1 preseason win over Ottawa.

Recommendation: It does not seem to be serious, but the game did not receive a whole lot of media attention, so reports have been hard to come by. The picture should become more clear on Wednesday when the team gets back to Buffalo for practice.
(Rotowire.com)

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:43 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Fair enough.

Now we can got on with the speculation as to how one bruises their throat
Ohhhh, so THAT'S how we got Niedermayer to sign here! Ah! Hey, at least Rivet's being the consummate captain

Aside, I noticed the Myers injury play immediately after it happened (I watched the game yesterday, taped), because he was moving gingerly and looked in pain. It was on one of his rushes up ice, and he got caught behind the Ottawa net and went into the boards with a Senator or two. He immediately cringed, skated gingerly up ice, and got off when he could. I got scared, but then he was out on the ice for his next shift and I dismissed the "injury" then and there.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Sep 30, 2010 1:03:11 PM
Captain Craig Rivet rejoined his Sabres teammates for practice today after taking five days off with a broken blood vessel in this throat.

The raspy-voiced defenseman told The News he was originally injured on the opening day of training camp while doing "bull in the ring drills" in which players push and shove in an attempt to keep the puck away. A teammate's shoulder pad clipped Rivet's neck, though he thought nothing of it.

A few days later, his voice started to disappear. Then on Friday, he stepped on the ice for practice and swallowed hard. He felt a pop, left the ice and was taken to the doctor for a look. The physician discovered the broken blood vessel.

Recovery time is 10 to 14 days, Rivet said, though the captain added he felt fine today in his first on-ice appearance. He is scheduled to be re-examined tonight and is hopeful of being ready for the Oct. 8 opener in Ottawa.
http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Old
09-30-2010, 09:52 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

He swallowed hard and heard a pop?

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:32 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
He swallowed hard and heard a pop?
giggity

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Sabretip

Let's hope that Vanek didn't endure anything in the Montreal game that will keep him out of action or cause him to play through nagging pain like last year. If there is one single player on the roster in need of a fresh start to get back on track after last season, it's him.

Old
10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Let's hope that Vanek didn't endure anything in the Montreal game that will keep him out of action or cause him to play through nagging pain like last year. If there is one single player on the roster in need of a fresh start to get back on track after last season, it's him.
I'm crossing my fingers that it was something minor but he didn't come back into the game just as a precaution.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Good news:

Quote:
Thomas Vanek, who played just 4:06 against Montreal on Thursday after leaving with an injury, is apparently fine and scheduled to practice with the team in Philadelphia this morning, according to the Sabres' media relations staff.

Vanek got what was described as a neck stinger during the first period and did not return. The left winger reportedly would have been fine to continue playing if it were a regular-season game. The Sabres play the Flyers tonight.
http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Old
10-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Vito_81

Vanek would sit out the rest of the preseason if it were up to me.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote