HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And then there's the matter of Ruslan Fedotenko

Old
09-30-2010, 01:28 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
how's this for an endorsement?

Quote:
“Feds flies under the radar, I think,” said Tortorella. “He makes subtle plays and is just a solid guy. He is a guy where I can look down the bench and trust him in any situation.”

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:00 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If the terms are dirt cheap, whatever. I just think signing more forwards right now isn't a great idea when it's probable that one of the ones we have now can match whatever Feds would bring for us.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
I hope he doesn't make it. He's played well IN PRESEASON but he's not someone I want taking the place of someone else we already have in the system.
Agreed you can't put much stock in what a 9-year vet does in pre-season games. Especially when, in his 9 actual seasons, he's only hit 20 goals once and 40 pts once. Though, I do like his playoff experience. Meh... it's the same as most of the guys on the border here... not much point wasting thoughts on it: the coaches are gonna pick who the coaches are gonna pick.

Old
09-30-2010, 03:52 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Look at how Tort's guys play for him. Tort's is a pretty angry dude sometimes, but there is a reason these veterans flock to him and play so well. If Fedotenko has made the team, I'd expect to see a Prospal-like rebound from him. 18g-22a-40p

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

If all or players wore the same number, and didn't have their last names stitched on their jerseys, Fedetenko would be getting a lot more attention.

I admit I didn't really want him here... I didn't expect him to actually contend for a roster spot, especially when you consider some guys like Kennedy and White becoming part of our club.

But I like how he's been playing. I think Torts is going to use some pretty weird looking lines to start the year, so I'm not sure where Feds plays.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:49 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
We already lost Drury to a broken finger, we will lose more guys during the year. I feel Fedotenko is the better option out of the two to step up more offensively and give secondary scoring when the lineup is healthy. Also Avery plays LW and misses 20 or so odd games a season between his injuries and suspensions. It's not the worst idea to have a veteran russian for guys like Anisimov, Grachev, ect. A veteran with two rings and a lot of playoff experience.

Some of you were willing to give Zherdev another chance and he did nothing in the playoffs and would cost a lot more. Already showed he would crumble under a coach like Torts where Fedotenko played well under him. I don't see the draw back to signing him.
i agree. and kennedy and fedotenko are not fighting for the same job. fedotenko will play on the 2ed or 3rd line and some pp time, i dont think fedotenko will play much on the pk, while kennedy will play 3rd and 4th line with little pp and a lot more pk time.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:34 AM
CaptainObvi0us
HFB Partner

Fedotenko will get a 1yr deal in the area of $750k to $1m I think

CaptainObvi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:47 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i think you saw ftank cement his spot last night. he not only doesnt look out of place, hes been one of our best players each game hes dressed. he brings offense and thats something we need.

problem is, hes not a good checker. he really should not be on a checking line. at this point in his career, let him control the puck down low, cycle and shoot. hes a good offensive player but wont do much in the def zone. trust me, hell fail if hes asked to forecheck too much.

plus, hes a torts guy, hell come fairly cheap on a 1 yr deal and wont block anyone next year. it all makes sense.

top 9 like this looks good to me.

fro prospal gaby
dubi stepan ftank
avery arty cally

i can honestly say, thats a decent top 9 to start with.

a nice mix of veteran smarts, skilled youth, outside speed and some sandpaper.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:36 AM
IAMREALITY
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i think you saw ftank cement his spot last night. he not only doesnt look out of place, hes been one of our best players each game hes dressed. he brings offense and thats something we need.

problem is, hes not a good checker. he really should not be on a checking line. at this point in his career, let him control the puck down low, cycle and shoot. hes a good offensive player but wont do much in the def zone. trust me, hell fail if hes asked to forecheck too much.

plus, hes a torts guy, hell come fairly cheap on a 1 yr deal and wont block anyone next year. it all makes sense.

top 9 like this looks good to me.

fro prospal gaby
dubi stepan ftank
avery arty cally

i can honestly say, thats a decent top 9 to start with.

a nice mix of veteran smarts, skilled youth, outside speed and some sandpaper.
Yup yup yup! I was completely perplexed when he was first invited to camp. Not anymore. He's impressed the heck out of me so far and if he can play consistently like he has been playing, then he's going to be one heck of a good addition to our club; and for cheap!

I'm actually impressed to the point that I'd be downright angry if he didn't make the club. He's gonna play a vital role in our success this year. Just watch.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Too many forwards, way too many. We need to clear some room.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:18 AM
dank

cheap please, new prospal.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:37 AM
SkerZ
LGR

As long as he isnt looking for a ton of money I have no problem with him making the team...get rid of Todd white though

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
cheap please, new prospal.
In his dreams. Or more importantly, in our dreams. Either way, it's only in a dream world where Fedotenko can even approach being in the same stratosphere of production.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:16 PM
SRTtoZ

I am 100% for signing Feds now...he has played VERY well, hes very noticable on the ice and he makes plays. HE has been a huge part of the Penguins run a few years ago and I think hes a vet we could use with so many young players on our team. Good luck feds!

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
IAMREALITY
HFBoards Sponsor

Also want to add that I want Avery, Stepan and Ftank to remain a line. There was chemistry there. A definite spark. They're practicing together today so I'd assume that Tort's has the same tingly feeling about what they're potential might be as I do. Maybe it's nothing; or maybe it's something. There was just somethin special about that line last night. Hell, the entire line was the top 3 stars of the game!

I'm hoping it continues and impresses. Problem is, if that line remains a real line for the roster than how in the world will the other lines work out with Prospal, Drury, EC to add in. I think EC's a goner.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
In his dreams. Or more importantly, in our dreams. Either way, it's only in a dream world where Fedotenko can even approach being in the same stratosphere of production.
not to mention a great deal of Prospals offense was because he played with Gabby...once he was taken off of gabbys line his offensive numbers plummeted

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:30 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not to mention a great deal of Prospals offense was because he played with Gabby...once he was taken off of gabbys line his offensive numbers plummeted
During which stretch are you referring to? How many points did he have in how many games?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
It doesn't matter what line you are on when your playing on one leg for the 2nd half of the season.

The Lunatic Fridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:56 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

I didn't want Fedotenko here at first. He has played decently well thus far. I have a feeling that there is a level of concern though that the Rangers are more concerned with Prospal's health than they have led on. As has been mentioned on the board, Prospal struggled a fair bit after his return from the knee injury last year and the team has been extremely cautious with him. Prospal has been extremely durable throughout his career. He has played no less than 74 games since 1999 season.

He is not really blocking any kids from Hartford. None of the wingers is really ready to be a 2nd-3rd liner. Grachev seemed to be the only possibility but he had a poor camp. The only player I am somewhat concerned about is Avery. Fedotenko is a Tortorella guy. To this point, despite both saying they have respect for each other in the media, and Avery saying the right things, there appears to be some kind of constraint placed on him by the coaching staff. Hopefully, they realize how good Avery has been in camp and preseason games, and that Avery 2.0 brings much more good than bad.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

I'd say it's a good bet that he's made the team.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

Quote:
“Feds flies under the radar, I think,” said Tortorella. “He makes subtle plays and is just a solid guy. He is a guy where I can look down the bench and trust him in any situation.”
Hard to say. He certainly flew under the radar of the other 29 teams. If the Rangers keep Fedotenko, I hope he does well... I'd love to be surprised. But for now I'll maintain realistic expectations. He's a career 35 points a season kinda guy over 9 seasons, and that's more telling than a few pre-season games against AHLers or Detroit when their first line and Lidstrom were sitting out. But I'll hope for the best nonetheless.

Old
10-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
I didn't want Fedotenko here at first. He has played decently well thus far. I have a feeling that there is a level of concern though that the Rangers are more concerned with Prospal's health than they have led on. As has been mentioned on the board, Prospal struggled a fair bit after his return from the knee injury last year and the team has been extremely cautious with him. Prospal has been extremely durable throughout his career. He has played no less than 74 games since 1999 season.

He is not really blocking any kids from Hartford. None of the wingers is really ready to be a 2nd-3rd liner. Grachev seemed to be the only possibility but he had a poor camp. The only player I am somewhat concerned about is Avery. Fedotenko is a Tortorella guy. To this point, despite both saying they have respect for each other in the media, and Avery saying the right things, there appears to be some kind of constraint placed on him by the coaching staff. Hopefully, they realize how good Avery has been in camp and preseason games, and that Avery 2.0 brings much more good than bad.
Mats Zuccarello Aasen says hello. He will be back up before January, imo.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:40 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Mats Zuccarello Aasen says hello. He will be back up before January, imo.
Fair I suppose. Zuccarello showed promise but didn't look ready. Needs to adjust to North American game.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:27 AM
pld459666

Bottom line here is that Fedotenko played his way on the team and MZA didn't do nearly enough to block it.

I'm all for incorporating youth in the line-up, but not because they are young. Because they have earned it.

Stepan has earned it, MZA didn't, Byers didn't, Weise didn't

Fedotenko outplayed the kids and earned a spot on the team, where is the down side here?

It's not like we lost the kids cause Feds made the team, They are still with us continuing their developement, if it comes time to trade/waive Feds, then there's still no downside.

Feds making the team beacuse he earned it is not what people should be upset with.

The kids not making the team cause they DIDN'T earn it is where the focus should be.

just my .02

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I suspect Fedotenko is well on his way to making the team--he's played well and Tortorella trusts him. Plus, as someone else mentioned above, Prospal's knee injury way be another factor (although Fedotenko is not as skilled as Prospal).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote