HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve zipay twitter

Old
09-29-2010, 11:15 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that if Weiss plays a whole season with Gaborik, he'll crack 70 pts. Love his game. Florida's asking price will probably be outrageous.
Weiss may not be an elite center, but he could be a very good one and his game goes great with Gaborik. I think he and Stepan actually have a bit in common in the way they play, though. On one hand, you could have a very nice one two punch, but on the other hand, you're giving up one of your few physical forwards in Dubinsky, if that is what it would cost (plus more, I'm sure) to get Weiss. I could go either way on that. I def. think Weiss is the better player, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
Baseless speculation here, but with the Rangers also being interested in a defenseman, I wonder if they're looking at someone like Jan Hejda. Columbus has a lot of D men, and they seem high on some of the young guys like Kris Russell and John Moore.
Don't see why they would do that, since Hejda plays a totally different game. He's actually a very underrated defensive defenseman and I don't see any reason for them to move him. They don't have anyone to replace him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I like Tikhonov. I was surprised they sent him down last year. When he played with Hanzal, they were 2/3rds of a pretty good defensive line that also chipped in some offense. I see him as a 14-18 goal scorer with the occasional 20+ season. He's a 3rd year pro and just turned 22. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be Tippett's kind of guy.

I've only seen MacLean in exhibitions and scrimmages but he's not gotten a chance to play regular season with the big club. When Upshall as hurt last spring, he was brought to Phoenix and practiced with the Coyotes for several days but they sent him back down. That worries me because at the time they needed offense and he was a 30 goal guy in the AHL. His skating isn't great and I suspect he doesn't compete hard enough at both ends of the rink.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any preseason games so I can't comment on Sauer but I am pulling for him to make the big club. Great family, hard working player. If he gets moved, then I'd like to see him in Phoenix because he fills a very specific Coyote need. When he came up two years ago I thought he played well (I seem to remember Torts' saying the same) but wasn't he was benched in Pittsburgh because of a Paul Mara turnover?
I've always liked Sauer and I think it's ridiculous that he hasn't made the Rangers yet. He should have made the team last season. But I think the writing is on the wall and he's clearly not a guy who this team is that high on if it's even a question this season about him making it. Add his injury problems into the mix, and it's probably best for everyone if they deal him. I wouldn't be upset with a return of Tikhonov or MacLean. Both are intriguing, despite their potential to be busts. I'd be happy just the same keeping Sauer (as long as he played for the Rangers as a regular).

Quote:
I can't imagine the Coyotes would give up Boedker. He may be back in the AHL again at the start of the season but I think he will be a front line NHL player. He has shown some tremendous flashes. The Rangers have a lot of guys I would consider trading for him.
I can't imagine they'd give him up, either. He's a mega-talent. I would LOVE to see him on the Rangers. Be willing to give up a decent amount for him, too.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:55 AM
mti79

Somebody had to do it so why not me?

Sauer, Christensen, 5th for Prucha and 3rd?

Frolov-Prospal-Gaborik
Dubinksy-AA-Cally
Avery-Drury-Prucha
Boogey-Boyle-Prust
Kennedy

I'm well aware that I'm going to get killed for this, but I still have love for Pru and would welcome him back to NY in a second. Stepan starts on the squad on the 1st/3rd line. If he succeeds, then Yay! We make another move. If not, send him to Hartford when Drury is healthy.

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-Rosey
MCD-Gilroy
Eminger

I like Valentenko, but I'm not sure he's outright won a spot in the top 6 and I don't want him as the 7th.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:11 AM
XLJ

If the rangers could actually add Weiss to there team right now. They would have a real strong top 6 imo. Frolov-Weiss-Gaborik, Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal. Weiss will score 70 points playing with Frolov and Gaborik.

He is a good player with a reasonable contract but the asking price is going to be high. They are probably going to be asking for players like Kreider or Grachev in a package.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:43 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Somebody had to do it so why not me?

Sauer, Christensen, 5th for Prucha and 3rd?
Why would we do that? Christensen has more value to us than Prucha, and Sauer and a 5th for a 3rd is pointless. How does that trade make us better?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:44 AM
UAGoalieGuy

If the Rangers were looking to acquire Weiss, I think the deal would be something similar to what Florida got back in the Horton deal. Young NHL player (Widemann), 1st round pick, and a middle round pick.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:50 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I could see it too. Not sure how I feel about it. Weiss strikes me as one of those guys who is always going to fall short of his potential, but if Sather thinks he's on the verge of cracking that 70+ point barrier, I could see him pulling the trigger.
I still prefer trading for Brassard. Girardi and Grachev for Brassard and a 3rd. Sauer gets the the 3rd RH D-man spot.

Frolov/Brassard/Gaborik
Dubinsky/Anisimov/Callahan
Avery/Stepan/Fedetenko

Staal/Roszival
MDZ/Sauer
McDonagh/Gilroy

I can't even construct a 4th line.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:51 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I still prefer trading for Brassard. Girardi and Grachev for Brassard and a 3rd. Sauer gets the the 3rd RH D-man spot.

Frolov/Brassard/Gaborik
Avery/Stepan/Fedetenko

Staal/Roszival
MDZ/Sauer
McDonagh/Gilroy

Drury - Boyle - Prust? lol

Old
09-30-2010, 05:53 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger108218 View Post
Tyutin back to the Rangers...pretty please.
Yes, because one of the areas where the Rangers are thin is LH D-men...we only have Staal and MDZ, with McDonagh and Valentenko battling for the last spot.

Old
09-30-2010, 05:54 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Drury - Boyle - Prust? lol
Plus, Prospal, Christensen and Boogaard.

Old
09-30-2010, 06:01 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
If the Rangers were looking to acquire Weiss, I think the deal would be something similar to what Florida got back in the Horton deal. Young NHL player (Widemann), 1st round pick, and a middle round pick.
I tend to agree. It's exactly what the problem is. No way in heck do I think that Weiss is worth Dubinsky + a 1st and a 3rd (for example). We already have Stepan making a strong bid to crack the lineup - Weiss would be totally redundant, if not this year then next.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:16 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Plus, Prospal, Christensen and Boogaard.
A lot of options are a good thing, right? lol I think the log-jam in your scenario is caused (Which is not a bad thing) by Stepan making the team and the possibility of trading for a center like Weiss. If the Rangers wanted Stepan to get first line minutes in Hartford, then the roster could look like:

Frolov - Weiss - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Prospal - Drury - Feds
Avery - Boyle - Prust
Boogard

Christiansen would be waiver wire if the Rangers did not use him in a top six role.

Quote:
I tend to agree. It's exactly what the problem is. No way in heck do I think that Weiss is worth Dubinsky + a 1st and a 3rd (for example). We already have Stepan making a strong bid to crack the lineup - Weiss would be totally redundant, if not this year then next.
If it was similar to the Horton deal, that young NHL player probably would not be Dubinsky. Widemann was coming off a sub-par year (30pts vs 50 pts / -14 last year). Dubinsky play has been elevating the last couple of years in production and overall play. I can see them taking some combo of Grachev, Gilroy, a 1st, and/or a mid-range prospect or pick, or it could cost Dubinsky.

It all depends on what the market is for a player like Weiss right now. Is there a lot of demand for him? Do the Panthers really want to move him out?

As for Weiss being redundant with the development of Stepan, I think that if the Rangers are really looking for a #1 center, then they want to give Stepan a year in Hartford to play first line minutes. Then next season I could see them bringing him along slowly at the NHL level, a la Anisimov, possibly centering the 3rd line. Then entering year three, Weiss would be in the last year of his contract.

Old
09-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
If the rangers could actually add Weiss to there team right now. They would have a real strong top 6 imo. Frolov-Weiss-Gaborik, Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal. Weiss will score 70 points playing with Frolov and Gaborik.

He is a good player with a reasonable contract but the asking price is going to be high. They are probably going to be asking for players like Kreider or Grachev in a package.
id love Weiss on this team. he is cheaper than richards, and younger.... i dont want any part of Booth.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:36 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

If it was similar to the Horton deal, that young NHL player probably would not be Dubinsky. Widemann was coming off a sub-par year (30pts vs 50 pts / -14 last year). Dubinsky play has been elevating the last couple of years in production and overall play. I can see them taking some combo of Grachev, Gilroy, a 1st, and/or a mid-range prospect or pick, or it could cost Dubinsky.

It all depends on what the market is for a player like Weiss right now. Is there a lot of demand for him? Do the Panthers really want to move him out?

As for Weiss being redundant with the development of Stepan, I think that if the Rangers are really looking for a #1 center, then they want to give Stepan a year in Hartford to play first line minutes. Then next season I could see them bringing him along slowly at the NHL level, a la Anisimov, possibly centering the 3rd line. Then entering year three, Weiss would be in the last year of his contract.
I think Florida is not the primary option. I said this elsewhere, but, reportedly, (according to Aaron Portzline, the CBJ beat writer, on a call-in show last week), Sather offered Girardi straight up for Brassard. I have spoken with at least four different people who have said the Rangers have liked Brassard for a long time. He and Girardi have roughly the same cap hit. You make that move IF you have faith that Gilroy can play more minutes, and you believe Sauer is ready for minutes at the NHL level. I saw very little of last night's game, but, according to what people have said here, Sauer was very good. I thought he was very good in game one, too. And, Tortorella has praised him throughout camp. Plus, getting Brassard allows the Rangers to play Stepan on the 3rd line, (where he seemed very comfortable last night.) Eventually, Brassard and Stepan become you two top centers, and Anisimov slides into the Jordan Staal role, (a role that I feel suits him perfectly.)

And, one other point...I've been beating this drum since July 2nd, but there still remains NO reason, in my mind, for the Rangers to have rushed out and signed both Prospal and Christensen. As we've witnessed both this summer, and last summer, (when the Rangers signed Prospal later in the summer), you can get those type of players ANYTIME during the year. This year, Frolov falls into their laps, as does Kennedy, and they give Fedetenko a tryout.

Old
09-30-2010, 07:36 AM
FOXHOUND*

I just worry about Brassards injury history.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:40 AM
TrueBlueJoe89

Rangers are looking to move there spare parts to other teams. For once, our spare parts actually have value around the league. The Rangers are looking to acquire a center and a veteran defenseman.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:48 AM
TrueBlueJoe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
LOL how exatcly does Dubinsky not fit this roster?

I swear sometimes people say things just to get a rise out of others.

Dubinsky is NOT getting traded.
You are correct. Dubi is here to stay.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:09 AM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Weiss may not be an elite center, but he could be a very good one and his game goes great with Gaborik. I think he and Stepan actually have a bit in common in the way they play, though. On one hand, you could have a very nice one two punch, but on the other hand, you're giving up one of your few physical forwards in Dubinsky, if that is what it would cost (plus more, I'm sure) to get Weiss. I could go either way on that. I def. think Weiss is the better player, though.

Don't see why they would do that, since Hejda plays a totally different game. He's actually a very underrated defensive defenseman and I don't see any reason for them to move him. They don't have anyone to replace him.

I've always liked Sauer and I think it's ridiculous that he hasn't made the Rangers yet. He should have made the team last season. But I think the writing is on the wall and he's clearly not a guy who this team is that high on if it's even a question this season about him making it. Add his injury problems into the mix, and it's probably best for everyone if they deal him. I wouldn't be upset with a return of Tikhonov or MacLean. Both are intriguing, despite their potential to be busts. I'd be happy just the same keeping Sauer (as long as he played for the Rangers as a regular).

I can't imagine they'd give him up, either. He's a mega-talent. I would LOVE to see him on the Rangers. Be willing to give up a decent amount for him, too.
I believe Sauer was benched when Mara made and bad turnover and Mike did not cover for him at all. Something along those lines.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:20 AM
bubba5

Unless we are getting an impact center (Weiss) there is no need for trades. Let see how these guys play for a while.

bubba5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Later Dubinsky it was fun while it lasted!

I am not for the trading of Grachev but as I mentioned earlier this week I think Dubinsky+Grachev or Sauer could fetch us a very good return.
Grachev hasen't showed one hint that he belongs at the NHL level yet. Love to hear the reasoning behind this one!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Unless we are getting an impact center (Weiss) there is no need for trades. Let see how these guys play for a while.
Weiss doesn't really meet the definition of "impact center" IMO.

Old
09-30-2010, 08:50 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Frolov/Brassard/Gaborik
Avery/Stepan/Fedetenko

Staal/Roszival
MDZ/Sauer
McDonagh/Gilroy

That defense would be awful. You've got only 2 guys who have shown capable of playing top 4 minutes.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:51 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
I think Florida is not the primary option. I said this elsewhere, but, reportedly, (according to Aaron Portzline, the CBJ beat writer, on a call-in show last week), Sather offered Girardi straight up for Brassard. I have spoken with at least four different people who have said the Rangers have liked Brassard for a long time. He and Girardi have roughly the same cap hit. You make that move IF you have faith that Gilroy can play more minutes, and you believe Sauer is ready for minutes at the NHL level. I saw very little of last night's game, but, according to what people have said here, Sauer was very good. I thought he was very good in game one, too. And, Tortorella has praised him throughout camp. Plus, getting Brassard allows the Rangers to play Stepan on the 3rd line, (where he seemed very comfortable last night.) Eventually, Brassard and Stepan become you two top centers, and Anisimov slides into the Jordan Staal role, (a role that I feel suits him perfectly.)

And, one other point...I've been beating this drum since July 2nd, but there still remains NO reason, in my mind, for the Rangers to have rushed out and signed both Prospal and Christensen. As we've witnessed both this summer, and last summer, (when the Rangers signed Prospal later in the summer), you can get those type of players ANYTIME during the year. This year, Frolov falls into their laps, as does Kennedy, and they give Fedetenko a tryout.
all good points.

the fact that we have guys like mcd, vtank, sauer and gilroy all playing reasonably well, and all still here, says to me that we may see a veteran guy like rozy or girardi packaged in a deal.

we may see a girardi/sauer or girardi/gilroy and a pick thing happen for 1 dman coming back who can play top 4.

that would solve 2 problems. give us a potential top 4-5 guy and open a spot for another kid, like vtank or michael sauer.

i would look to phoenix as a logical trading partner if we were to move a dman. we have extra and they have a need. we need a centerman and a top 4 dman back so im not sure if the yotes have either.

dont count out the name mikkel boedker coming back in any deal with phoenix.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:51 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

Agreed. Weiss has the type of game that I think would mesh very well with Gaborik. Having lived in South Florida almost my whole life and been to many Panthers games, I have to say Weiss is very underrated around here. He can sure thread the needle with his passing ability. Depending on what else we would have to give up, I would not be hesitant to include Dubinsky as part of the package to get him.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:53 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
That defense would be awful. You've got only 2 guys who have shown capable of playing top 4 minutes.
And, with Girardi, you have three...in a transition year, I'm more concerned about development. Keep Eminger around to rotate out one of the young D-men.

Old
09-30-2010, 08:54 AM
BobSantos

Maybe this is the time to pick up a few picks instead of players.

Look at it this way: if our boys play to expectations, develop, etc. then we will be finishing higher in the standings. For the sake of all the tank fans out there let's trade with crummy teams for their high picks.

When we need more youth in the future, it will be there.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote