HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boogaard worst player in nhl?

Old
09-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I hope the sporadic chorus of boos I heard tonight at MSG when Boogaard touched to puck were were similar to the "Pruuuuus" for Prucha and the "Beuuuuuu" for Beukeboom. It's unfortunate that the Devils had no one that would fight The Boogeyman and it was expected that the Detroit Ballerinas would have no one on their team willing to dance with him either. Maybe he'll find a willing partner on Friday or Saturday in Alexei Kovalev

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:13 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
If no one wants to fight him than they will be sure not to take any runs at our top guys and risk getting challenged by boogey. Just having boogey on the bench will keep the other team in check.
Common thought held by many that I disagree with. The guys who run your goalie and commit other such acts are not usually the guys who end up fighting guys like Boogaard. It's more the smaller crazy types who commit those acts.

After it happens the first time, Boogaard will beat up the other team's tough guy (presumably). Hopefully, the guy who was originally run won't be hurt.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:30 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
I hope the sporadic chorus of boos I heard tonight at MSG when Boogaard touched to puck were were similar to the "Pruuuuus" for Prucha and the "Beuuuuuu" for Beukeboom. It's unfortunate that the Devils had no one that would fight The Boogeyman and it was expected that the Detroit Ballerinas would have no one on their team willing to dance with him either. Maybe he'll find a willing partner on Friday or Saturday in Alexei Kovalev

Def Booooogs not booos

Seriously, this is a very unpopular guy to fight. Guys seem very wary to drop with this Boogeyman fellow.

When is the first game with the Leafs?

09-30-2010, 01:32 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Clearly you haven't seen patrik stefan play

I'm not sure what's worse, Stefan being #1 overall, or us taking Jessiman over Parise?

Honestly, how does a professional hockey team with scouts pass on Zach Parise and take Hugh Jessiman? hahaha god....

To the OP: He's there to beat Islanders/Devils/Flyers/teams with heavyweights up. Would you like Marty McSo.....ummm...I mean Donald Brashear back?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:33 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Def Booooogs not booos

Seriously, this is a very unpopular guy to fight. Guys seem very wary to drop with this Boogeyman fellow.

When is the first game with the Leafs?
How did we join at the same time, and you have 9,000 posts more than me? hahaha

I think I spend too much time on here.... I guess not...

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:34 AM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Common thought held by many that I disagree with. The guys who run your goalie and commit other such acts are not usually the guys who end up fighting guys like Boogaard. It's more the smaller crazy types who commit those acts.

After it happens the first time, Boogaard will beat up the other team's tough guy (presumably). Hopefully, the guy who was originally run won't be hurt.
I disagree. Derek Boogaard is a professional hockey player, he knows his role, he's not stupid. Do you really think when Dan Carcillo takes a run at Henrik that Boogaard's thought process is "man, I need to go fight Jody Shelley now and teach the Flyers a lesson!" I find it very hard to believe that on such occasions Boogaard won't try to go after either A) the perpetrator, B) the other teams star, or C) both

EDIT: just to clarify, I'm not saying that someone like Carcillo would actually fight Boogaard. Just that if someone like Carcillo takes a run at Henrik or starts fighting Gaborik, I'm sure Boogaard will go after him or one of their star players and it'll hurt 10000X more

savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Scorcho
Zubrus for Captain!

hate to say I told you so, but....

Scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:37 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post

Such a stupid ritual imo. This is why Colton Orr, who is a very good fighter, was expendable. He only fought the other teams goon.

Rangers need a guy who is willing to go after the other teams better players. That's enforcing the ice old school.

If Carcillo runs Hank than Boogey needs to pound on Carter.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:41 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
How did we join at the same time, and you have 9,000 posts more than me?
Night Owl + Center Ice + Obsessed = Mega post

Plus we do have three local teams. I've been good lately... cutting back. I went outside last Tuesday

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

Quote:
Such a stupid ritual imo. This is why Colton Orr, who is a very good fighter, was expendable. He only fought the other teams goon.

Rangers need a guy who is willing to go after the other teams better players. That's enforcing the ice old school.

like our beloved avery?

or prust can fill that role

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
If no one wants to fight him than they will be sure not to take any runs at our top guys and risk getting challenged by boogey. Just having boogey on the bench will keep the other team in check.
Can't they just say no when challenged though?

I swear to God I will never understand this enforcer thing.

I love watching the fights but I can't really understand the purpose of a bad ass enforcer with the instigator rule in place. Other than for entertainment purposes obviously!

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:25 AM
BlueShirts702

the weird hate that boogaard gets is kind of creepy. It's obvious that those who cry about him have NO CLUE about what the Rangers have lacked recently.

Plenty else to cry about...no?

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:33 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

boogaard makes colton orr look like guy lafleur.

im not even kidding, boogy cant skate a lick. forget his hands, no enforcer should have soft hands, but hes 270 lbs and walrus slow.

oh, and goons cancel goons. thats all. nothing more.

having boogaard on our team doesnt have any effect on crosby, malkin, kovy or ovechkin. none. hes not going to go after one of those guys. the league would have him beheaded, publically should he injure a superstar. not gonna happen folks.

hell get 6 or 7 30 sec. shifts per game. if no one is dumb enough to engage him- maybe 5 guys in the league will fight him ?, the rest of the time were all hoping he can throw a decent body check a few times a game to have any contribution whatsoever. if he doesnt, his total impact on thegame will be...

menacing stares from the bench

boogaard was a gigantic waste of money on a team that cannot afford to be giving goons 4 yr deals.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:38 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

if carcillo runs hank, we dont need a goon to go after carter. that will result in a misconduct, a long pp against and will impact the game.

we need a teammate to stand up, be a man, and engage carcillo.

hockey is a tough sport.

girardi needed to be a man. right at that moment.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:41 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
I disagree. Derek Boogaard is a professional hockey player, he knows his role, he's not stupid. Do you really think when Dan Carcillo takes a run at Henrik that Boogaard's thought process is "man, I need to go fight Jody Shelley now and teach the Flyers a lesson!" I find it very hard to believe that on such occasions Boogaard won't try to go after either A) the perpetrator, B) the other teams star, or C) both

EDIT: just to clarify, I'm not saying that someone like Carcillo would actually fight Boogaard. Just that if someone like Carcillo takes a run at Henrik or starts fighting Gaborik, I'm sure Boogaard will go after him or one of their star players and it'll hurt 10000X more
Having the tough guy who intimidates days are over imo. Sadly. Boogard is not going to stop anyone from doing what they want to do. They will still run at player x. So Boogard goes after Carter, do you then think the flyers would say ok were even? Of course not they then go after gaborik. Using Carcillo as an example, he will still do his thing and not fight Boggard, nor should he. However if he does he will get beat down. That still will not change his game. Boogard will then at that point be thrown out of the game unfortuantely.

You already seen that silly call against boogard against the Devils. Well that is how it is going to be, which is a disgrace. The refs and league will not allow it to get far. You will have game misconducts, 10 minute misconducts to neutralize anything you will get from Boogard, especially since the refs know he is only their for 1 reason. As noted what happens when few people want to fight him and he gets frustrated, does somethign stupid and is suspended?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:02 AM
terrrrrible

It was kind of dumb in hindsight having Boogaard in those two games against the Red Wings because they aren't that kind of team, but look at what he did against the Devils. That's what we need him for, games where we need to throw the opposing players off their game. Between Boogaard and Avery against the Devils, they were completely frustrated. Complaining about his poor play in a meaningless game in the preseason is pointless. Yeah, it would have been nice if someone like Dubinsky could have taken his spot, but whatever. He'll only play in certain types of games. *cue rants about paying him that much to do so*

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:19 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:

In response to Brashear elbowing Jagr.

The way Sather mismanaged something so simple is hilarious to me. You need to find a guy who punches people in the face well. We had one of those guys already in Orr. Instead of re-signing him Sather let him walk. Initially we thought it was because the rangers new team philosophy had changed and they weren't going to dress a goon. That would at least made some type of sense. Instead Sather signs Brashear for more money than Orr and who was quite a bit older. That blows up in his face and he is forced to sign another goon for double what he could have signed Orr for. People wonder why some us have no confidence in Glenn Sather has GM. Can't imagine why.

My only concern with this Boogaard situation is the Torts factor. The dressing a heavyweight philosophy seems to be a mandate from Slats and something Torts has to accept begrudgingly. That worries me. I get this feeling that Torts wants to not like Boogaard already. Hopefully I am wrong.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:20 AM
IAMREALITY

Actually, compared to what his biggest naysayers made him out to be at the signing, I've actually been quite impressed with his play so far. He hasn't been a liability whatsoever and has actually gotten some good scoring chances. He has a good work ethic and busted his butt to get in shape for Tort's camp. I'm proud of the big man.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
Can't they just say no when challenged though?

I swear to God I will never understand this enforcer thing.

I love watching the fights but I can't really understand the purpose of a bad ass enforcer with the instigator rule in place. Other than for entertainment purposes obviously!
If he's okay with getting a reputation as a kitty.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:34 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I tend to agree with the general consensus on here that he is here for intimidation/fighting abilities.

Where I differ is not complaining about his lack of skill, I was too busy laughing hysterically last night at him attempting to get chances/almost score than I was mad that he is offensively-challenged.

I never liked Brashear to begin with, so watching him be inept on the ice was not amusing, but watch Boogard attempt to skate around the ice and create chances leaves me laughing and wanting more- Kinda like a bad George Lopez movie.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Andrew Peters. At least Boogard will win fights. Peters did/does nothing.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:47 AM
terrrrrible

He's also needed for the comic relief when he blasts the puck randomly up into the stands.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan4390 View Post
Okay so through these first few games of intently watching Boogaard it is apparent he cannot even spell hockey, let alone play the game. Is there a worse hockey player in the nhl than derek boogaard? If we really wanted a bad ass fighter we could've got dj king who the st louis blues were will to trade and did trade for league minimum. It really is appalling that we signed this guy to a 4 year contract. Even worse is the cap hit! Over/Under until this guy is in Hartford?
It was a bonehead signing, but I'm not going to cry over it. At the very worst, boogard can be erased from the cap. Even though he's overpaid, I'm happy we have them. The Rangers were soft last year and when they play teams like the Flyers they're going to be happy to have him. Fighters aren't supposed to be good hockey players. If they were good hockey players they wouldnt have to fight. Boogard is paid to dent peoples faces. He's good at that. So whenever some ******* says "oh boogeyman hasnt scored a goal in 4 years!". well *******s I didnt realize that colton orr, donald brashear, jody shelley were such prolific goal scorers.

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:09 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
In response to Brashear elbowing Jagr.

The way Sather mismanaged something so simple is hilarious to me. You need to find a guy who punches people in the face well. We had one of those guys already in Orr. Instead of re-signing him Sather let him walk. Initially we thought it was because the rangers new team philosophy had changed and they weren't going to dress a goon. That would at least made some type of sense. Instead Sather signs Brashear for more money than Orr and who was quite a bit older. That blows up in his face and he is forced to sign another goon for double what he could have signed Orr for. People wonder why some us have no confidence in Glenn Sather has GM. Can't imagine why.

My only concern with this Boogaard situation is the Torts factor. The dressing a heavyweight philosophy seems to be a mandate from Slats and something Torts has to accept begrudgingly. That worries me. I get this feeling that Torts wants to not like Boogaard already. Hopefully I am wrong.
This post to the mother ****ing max. I've never agreed more with anything on HF than this.

We keep Orr, we avoid a lot of problems.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Fletch

it gives Torts a reason to coach the way he likes, whereby he rides his top horses as much as possible and Boogaard will be lucky to get more than 3 minutes per night. I liked rolling a fourth line 5-6 minutes per night, personally, because the last few years' teams didn't have too many players who should be on the ice more than 20 minutes per night. We'll see; and we'll see in how many games he actually dresses.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote