HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2010, 10:00 AM
  #201
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
In the long run Eriksson, I think, will be the better goalie. Only reason he isnt a starter at the moment is because he had 1 bad game and he is playing behind a goalie which the team has been using for like 10 years. The guy is a vet who has always put up decent numbers.
why do you think he will be the better goalie? So he is better than the guy who is starting ahead of him but he coach is using the other guy out of loyalty, thats what your saying?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
  #202
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
why do you think he will be the better goalie? So he is better than the guy who is starting ahead of him but he coach is using the other guy out of loyalty, thats what your saying?
Yep 100% true. Dont know if he's better, but look up the articles by Euroflyer and on the swedish websites for more information on the whole goalie thing on that team. Im not posting them. In the long run I think Eriksson has a ton of talent and COULD be better then Bob. He has a ton of talent and has exploded in every league he has been in. Just a hunch I think he could be better. (Obviously how can I tell at the moment who will absolutely be better? Things change easily)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
  #203
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Little question, Bobrovsky started the game against the Isles, and he saw a lot of action now, could this means Homer and Lavy are testing him right now to see if he can handle the n°1 job? Or is it just because Leighton and Backlund are out right now?
Probably a little of both, I am not sure rushing Backlund with his injury would be smart either so it may be a situation where they decide to keep Bobrovsky up for the month, get a couple starts under his belt and work with Reese in the interim. Then send him back to the AHL once Leighton is back with a laundry list of things to work on. If he proves to belong he can always be called back up after the break.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
  #204
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Bobrovsky getting a chance KIND OF reminds me of how Lundquist got started in the NHL.

IIRC Lundquist did not play a single game in the AHL (shocking right? A foreign netminder who COMPLETELY bypassed the AHL) He made the Rangers as the backup to Kevin Weekes, who as we all know... is horrible (waiver wire, career backup, third string... see where I'm going with this). The club stayed true to their starter. Weekes was given the start for the first few games, however he was clearly not getting the job done. Enter 23 year old Henrik who plays lights out and has been the starter ever since.

NOT SAYING that Bobrovsky will turn out to be the same tale. So consider that a preemptive "***** you" to any who try to put words in my mouth. I wanted to bring this up because there are alot of people who seem to believe:

1) International game takes LOTS of time to adjust to NHL level.
2) A young goalie MUST start off in the AHL to avoid ruining his confidence.
3) That we somehow have the luxury of allowing Bob to play the year out in the AHL. Even if he is our best goalie.

I consider it an insult to the rest of the team to put anything less than our best in goal. You think Pronger and Timonen are out there killing themselves everynight so that Michael "It is what it is" Leighton can just let a couple softees in like, "**** boys... lost us the game... thats the ways she goes."

This could be the best opportunity we have to win a cup before the team implodes to salary reasons. I'll tell you something. Leighton had better be ****ing STELLAR when he comes back from injury. He needs to take a can of WD-40 and spray it all over himself cuz there is NO ****ING WAY this team will tolerate any kind of rusty ass excuses. Not with Bobrovsky sitting on the sidelines.

STELLAR!!!!! or back to the AHL where you belong.
Ha ha ..awesome..I'm with you bro...and with BRO-Brovsky. Michael "it is what it is" Leighton is going to have a tough climb especially with an injury that will most likely nag the guy..and I don't want to hear when he plays inconsistent that he should be given the benefit of the doubt b/c he's playing through an injury and that it's admirable! EFF that....losers make excuses and we shouldn't have to depend on a cripple in net. The analogy to Lundqvist I think is fair as far as Bob but let's try and keep things in perspective. I will say that in all the years I've followed and played hockey it is clear that Bob is an immense talent. I think Reese was right in saying that Bob is the equivalent of a 1st line center as far as potential and talent. He said the only thing he thinks he will have to prove himself with is the mental rigors of being a starter in the NHL and that is a fair assessement even though Bob "seems" to have a good head on his shoulders. How ironic for the Flyers to possibly be "saved" by a Ruskie when the dislike for Russians has been pretty embedded in Flyer "culture." One thing though is I hope the Flyers keep Bob away from the booze and fast cars. They should buy him a smart car now. They can keep him busy with some of the hot russian women here in Philly so he stays nice and healthy and happy...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:42 AM
  #205
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yep 100% true. Dont know if he's better, but look up the articles by Euroflyer and on the swedish websites for more information on the whole goalie thing on that team. Im not posting them. In the long run I think Eriksson has a ton of talent and COULD be better then Bob. He has a ton of talent and has exploded in every league he has been in. Just a hunch I think he could be better. (Obviously how can I tell at the moment who will absolutely be better? Things change easily)
Eriksson is playing his first season in the SEL, I think it is a wee bit premature to say anything in regards to his play. How many goalies have shown "promise" only to have an amateur career? Too many. Think Pelletier and Oullete. Potential is one thing, what you do with the potential is another. I agree he has put up some good numbers but he is still this season and next season away from coming over to NA.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:49 AM
  #206
Cleary84
Registered User
 
Cleary84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 500
It's great to overhear conversations in class about Bob. How amazing would it be for him to be an elite goalie someday and a few months ago no one even knew his name.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:56 AM
  #207
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Eriksson is playing his first season in the SEL, I think it is a wee bit premature to say anything in regards to his play. How many goalies have shown "promise" only to have an amateur career? Too many. Think Pelletier and Oullete. Potential is one thing, what you do with the potential is another. I agree he has put up some good numbers but he is still this season and next season away from coming over to NA.
yes. leighton had a good amateur career and loads of potential, for instance.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:03 AM
  #208
iceman42
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bethlehem, NH
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I wanted to bring this up because there are alot of people who seem to believe:

1) International game takes LOTS of time to adjust to NHL level.
2) A young goalie MUST start off in the AHL to avoid ruining his confidence.
3) That we somehow have the luxury of allowing Bob to play the year out in the AHL. Even if he is our best goalie.
Everyone is different and situations are different, some players may need the time in the AHL adapting however I think there are a few others who do not. You bring up a good example of a goalie coming from Europe and by-passing the conventional method of AHL first and Lundqvist was not a high draft pick.

My thought is that Bobrovsky has outplayed the other two goalies, the issue is that the other two goalies are NHL vets and you know what you are going to get and have a certain comfort level with them. If the Flyers do not plan on starting Bobrovsky more then every so often then it is probably better that he goes down to the AHL where he can get a lot of work. Then in a couple of months after Bouch has crashed then he can come back.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:04 AM
  #209
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
They can keep him busy with some of the hot russian women here in Philly so he stays nice and healthy and happy...
We have hot russian women in Philly?

Where?!

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
  #210
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
We have hot russian women in Philly?

Where?!
there are several massage parlors in ne philly.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:24 AM
  #211
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper
 
The Cheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 8,557
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
БОБЯОvsКІ

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:28 AM
  #212
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
there are several massage parlors in ne philly.
That doesn't count.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:57 AM
  #213
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
We have hot russian women in Philly?

Where?!
Parts of the NE section of Philly like around Krewstown...my friend met his hot russian wife at a Duncan Donuts....I have not had the same luck unfortunately when I frequent the area....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
  #214
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Parts of the NE section of Philly like around Krewstown...my friend met his hot russian wife at a Duncan Donuts....I have not had the same luck unfortunately when I frequent the area....
I need to hang out in NE more often.

Eastern European accents slay me.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:01 PM
  #215
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Parts of the NE section of Philly like around Krewstown...my friend met his hot russian wife at a Duncan Donuts....I have not had the same luck unfortunately when I frequent the area....
Hmm. He should've known it wasn't a proper donut shop by the spelling.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
  #216
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42 View Post
Everyone is different and situations are different, some players may need the time in the AHL adapting however I think there are a few others who do not. You bring up a good example of a goalie coming from Europe and by-passing the conventional method of AHL first and Lundqvist was not a high draft pick.

My thought is that Bobrovsky has outplayed the other two goalies, the issue is that the other two goalies are NHL vets and you know what you are going to get and have a certain comfort level with them. If the Flyers do not plan on starting Bobrovsky more then every so often then it is probably better that he goes down to the AHL where he can get a lot of work. Then in a couple of months after Bouch has crashed then he can come back.
Before the Leighton injury, I favoured letting Bob start as a Phantom and work his way up to the NHL. The idea being that there is a risk of hurting a guy's confidence by throwing him in before he's ready.

He also needs to adjust to life in North America, which is harder for non-english speaking Russians than Swedes, who speak ESL as well or better than most North Americans. Lundqvist didn't have that language adjustment to make, but Bob might benefit from having Zherdev around too. A lot of factors besides the ice at play.

That said, if he continues playing as well as he has, it might not be a bad idea to let Bob back up Boosh to start the year, get in a couple games, and see how he does. If he shines, he can stay. If he struggles, Backlund will be 100% and/or Leighton will return.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:24 PM
  #217
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
That doesn't count.
says who?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
  #218
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
says who?
I think infidel's looking for a long-term relationship, not a long-term business relationship of one-timers.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:27 PM
  #219
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I think infidel's looking for a long-term relationship, not a long-term business relationship of one-timers.
try the mail order bride aspect then! Yeah but you get card and the 11th visit is free after 10 payggn ones!

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:33 PM
  #220
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
БОБЯОvsКІ
Бобровскы no?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:50 PM
  #221
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Hmm. He should've known it wasn't a proper donut shop by the spelling.
Ha ha...yeah it was a Russian subvendor for the true Dunkin...

Oh yeah and he does get to glaze her donut...lucky guy!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:52 PM
  #222
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
i need to get in on these erotic donuts.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:08 PM
  #223
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I think infidel's looking for a long-term relationship, not a long-term business relationship of one-timers.
Long term relationship? Maybe something like that.

I mean, I'd be fine with the sort of relationship where you get action in exchange for payment...but the legal kind. You know, you pay by pretending to care what she's talking about and taking her out to dinner and watching stupid romcoms...instead of the illegal kind, where you just give her cash and don't see them ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
try the mail order bride aspect then! Yeah but you get card and the 11th visit is free after 10 payggn ones!
I lol'd.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:12 PM
  #224
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Long term relationship? Maybe something like that.

I mean, I'd be fine with the sort of relationship where you get action in exchange for payment...but the legal kind. You know, you pay by pretending to care what she's talking about and taking her out to dinner and watching stupid romcoms...instead of the illegal kind, where you just give her cash and don't see them ever again.



I lol'd.
the illegal kind is so much better. Get rub in the tub, finish your business and leave. No tlaking, no pretending. You get what you want without the aggrevation. Can never go wrong with the washy wash route.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:17 PM
  #225
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
the illegal kind is so much better. Get rub in the tub, finish your business and leave. No tlaking, no pretending. You get what you want without the aggrevation. Can never go wrong with the washy wash route.
Can't I find some happy medium between that and a real long-term relationship?

I guess that'd just be friends with benefits.

So that's what I need...a Russian chick from the NE to be my friend...


Anyway, back on topic: I need more of you to get on board with me in making Bobrovsky's official nickname, "Bobocop."

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.