HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers waive Souray and Gerber

Old
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
JonQuixote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud11 View Post
Still no trade value for Souray.. Poor guy. lol
I don't know if waivers mean no trade value. It's possible there are teams who'd take Souray, even give up something of value for him, but only if it also involves salary going the other way.

Pick up Souray on waivers and you have to take his full hit, which is a lot harsher than if you can add Jason Blake or Wade Redden.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 427
Not really earth shattering it was a matter of time before both were put on waivers. I just hope Gerber clears.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Well I have had a few discussions on why Gerber was signed. My contention was that he was signed for OKC right from the start (and of course some insurance in case of goalie injuries up top). Some posters seem to think he was signed for the big club. Waiving him this early would seem to confirm that he was ticketed for the Barons from the start.
I believe Khabibulin's pending punishment was a big factor aswell. Him getting off easy made waiving Gerber easier.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

at 2,7M (if they put him on re-entry), he would be a good player for many teams (like Islanders, Rangers, Capitals)

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
at 2,7M (if they put him on re-entry), he would be a good player for many teams (like Islanders, Rangers, Capitals)
I would like the Oilers to go all the way to prove their point by not putting him on re-entry waivers. Just let him sit at home. It's good that he's getting his paycheck, but it hurts more if he can't play the game he loves.

Last edited by Calgary Oilers: 09-30-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:56 AM
cfrancis

Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Thank god.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyen View Post
yes....still

I was obviously mistaken about the waiver rules, I thought the 2-way deal allowed him to go down un-touched. Clearly I was wrong, thanks so much for pointing this out...
It's not that you got it wrong as much as seeing multiple people per day with this misconception. Not fair that you get the flak for everyone that posted this before but that's life

Summary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
So ... what happens if Souray reports for OKC? Are they going to let him play? Do they have to let him play?
I think they will try to loan him out to another AHL team if they intend on paying him to play down there. But I also think it's moot as I expect him to go on re-entry waivers as soon as he clears regular waivers.

I too am a bit worried Minnie may take Gerber. He looked pretty good with us and very capable of a backup role

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Playing JDD or DD in the nhl is a bad idea. They arent good enough. They probably wont see a lot of action either. Boourns.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Gusher

What about this...

Souray clears Waivers and the Oilers expect him to report to Oklahoma City, but he doesn't. This means the Oilers suspend Souray thus making him terminate the contract and he becomes a UFA. I'm pretty sure this could happen, right? I'm pretty sure it's in the rules.

Will it happen? Probably not because it's likely too good to be true.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Beerfish

If some team can pick up Souray at half price they will be getting a huge bargain for a player that can flat out be a huge difference maker on a pp, provides some toughness and is not all that bad defensively.

As usual an amazing number of oiler fans get a guy in the old dog house and can think of nothing else but trying to screw the guy as much as possible while not thinking about what is really best for the team.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Playing JDD or DD in the nhl is a bad idea. They arent good enough. They probably wont see a lot of action either. Boourns.
I disagree.

Dubnyk is ready, IMO. Deslauriers will likely join Gerber on the Waiver-wire soon or be dealt.

If Dubnyk is the back-up I can see him playing between 15-25 games. Khabibulin isn't getting any younger and he is coming off major back surgery.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDesigner View Post
Because there is so much demand for Martin Gerber, that he just had to play for a year in the KHL? So much demand, that he signed a two-way contract with the last place Oilers?
He's an NHL veteran, who's played very well in the Preseason thus far, he's on a very cheap ticket, for just one season, and the Wild are down an NHL goalie and the Caps are going with two generally unproven kids.

In those situations, Gerber, who you could just waive again yourself, doesn't look like a bad fit.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
oilerfanatic

souray gets picked up for half the price

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
I believe Khabibulin's pending punishment was a big factor aswell. Him getting off easy made waiving Gerber easier.
I honestly think it had very little to do with it. Goaltending depth has been a huge killer for us on the farm in recent seasons. Tambellini said himself the lack of goaltending depth is one of the things that really bothered him and hurt the farm team. Kevin Prendergast always wanted his drafted goalies to get all the starts and was stubborn in the negative when asked if we needed more depth there. I suspect among other reasons that played a small part in KP being shown the door.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
OvenChicken8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
What about this...

Souray clears Waivers and the Oilers expect him to report to Oklahoma City, but he doesn't. This means the Oilers suspend Souray thus making him terminate the contract and he becomes a UFA. I'm pretty sure this could happen, right? I'm pretty sure it's in the rules.

I can't see him not reporting to OKC, he still wants to make his salary this year.

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:05 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Well I have had a few discussions on why Gerber was signed. My contention was that he was signed for OKC right from the start (and of course some insurance in case of goalie injuries up top). Some posters seem to think he was signed for the big club. Waiving him this early would seem to confirm that he was ticketed for the Barons from the start.
Of course he was signed for OKC, this isn't news. The back up spot was always going to go to either JD or DD. The only chance Gerber had of making the big club out of camp, was injuries to 2 of the 3 goalies, or if Khabibulin was unable to play due to his legal problems. Gerber is an OK back up, nothing more, nothing less.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
WilliamRanford

For anyone wondering what putting Souray on waivers would save in beer equivalent, check out my last 5 tweets:

http://twitter.com/mparkatti

WilliamRanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
JDD's save% was 9.01

Marc Andre Fleury's was .905

What would those numbers look like if they switched clubs?

Just saying.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Of course he was signed for OKC, this isn't news. The back up spot was always going to go to either JD or DD. The only chance Gerber had of making the big club out of camp, was injuries to 2 of the 3 goalies, or if Khabibulin was unable to play due to his legal problems. Gerber is an OK back up, nothing more, nothing less.
I agree with you of course. But there are a number of posters on here that believe otherwise.

I would not necessarily say he is the OKC back up though. I think if say JDD goes down. That they would split the starts probably with JDD getting a few more along the way.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
What about this...

Would Souray risk giving up guaranteed 9M in the next 2 years over a 1 year ~2M contract with another club?

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:17 PM
the word*

Next words out of Souray's mouth, 'what am I doing here,' from the Oklahoma Baron's bus.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:18 PM
BowDangles

I am wondering if this is just another test to see if anyone wants Souray on waivers now that camp is almost over and injuries have settled in...

Maybe he wants to see if he can get rid of him for nothing before he settles with any trades on the table??

Interesting...

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:21 PM
otto84

Quote:
Last season is hardly a basis for judging these two on their NHL performances.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
DelusionOIL

I sincerely doubt the Oiler's put Souray on re-entry waivers. Quite simply.... they have ZERO reason to let another team poach him for half the salary.

I would be willing to bet as we do not need the cap space right now that Katz has made it perfectly clear that if no-one wants him that he would be more than happy to pay his salary and have him gather dust at home.

DelusionOIL is offline   Reply With Quote