HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Flyers Prospects & Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Glad you draw that conclusion. Then again you watch them play. You probably have a better read on the prospects then most. Then again a hockey guru like yourself knows that not always does the better player make it to the nhl. Still doesnt change the fact of what i posted earlier though. Didnt realize there was a contest going on, what are the rules and prizes at the end?
Do you actually like Klotz or are you joking? Either way, lol.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:38 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Do you actually like Klotz or are you joking? Either way, lol.
Well, the guy has shown absolutely nothing we all will agree on that. So this really is a make or break year for him. With him working with cote that can only help. Sorry had put that in there. He will never make it unless he turns his game around dramticaly. I dotn know how they work withplayer individualy. To me it seems like they have invested no time with this guy at all. That is ajust a guess. Considering they wasted a 3rd rd pick on him you would think they would do a little more with him.

Old
09-29-2010, 09:18 PM
MarcPiquesFan

Do you guys have any idea if Tye McGinn is going to play in the AHL next season? His junior team just added another overage player yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone who follows the Phantoms have any infos on McGinn's near future?

McGinn is big enough to play in the AHL and I'm pretty sure he's ready to play in this league too, but in another way, the coach who developed Claude Giroux came back at Gatineau this summer and maybe the Flyers want to see McGinn play one year with this coach.

Thanks in advance!

Old
09-29-2010, 09:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPiquesFan View Post
Do you guys have any idea if Tye McGinn is going to play in the AHL next season? His junior team just added another overage player yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone who follows the Phantoms have any infos on McGinn's near future?

McGinn is big enough to play in the AHL and I'm pretty sure he's ready to play in this league too, but in another way, the coach who developed Claude Giroux came back at Gatineau this summer and maybe the Flyers want to see McGinn play one year with this coach.

Thanks in advance!
McGinn was sent to the Phantoms. I'm pretty sure that's where he will spend 2010-11.

Old
09-29-2010, 09:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPiquesFan View Post

Thanks in advance!
I doubt McGinn is going back to junior. I think he's going to stay with the Phantoms for the year because he's ready to make the jump to pro hockey. I don't like the fact that Idiot Stick is going to be coaching him, but McGinn is done with junior hockey now.

Old
09-30-2010, 10:16 AM
MarcPiquesFan

Ok, thank you... even if it's a bad news for me ^^

Old
09-30-2010, 12:07 PM
starbuck97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I doubt McGinn is going back to junior. I think he's going to stay with the Phantoms for the year because he's ready to make the jump to pro hockey. I don't like the fact that Idiot Stick is going to be coaching him, but McGinn is done with junior hockey now.
Dont think McGinn is signed yet, right?

Old
09-30-2010, 12:16 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck97 View Post
Dont think McGinn is signed yet, right?
I think they will wait till Phantoms camp is over. From some of the prospect camp I watched of him, he looked pretty good. Unless he implodes, I see him playing on the team.

Also on a side note, I read that the first line in Phantoms camp is

Legein-Pither-Maroon

Legein might just be there till Laliberte is back but Im hooping guys like Maroon and Legein step their game up.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
gotta think chemistry is going to be an issue with the Phantoms for a little while, until things get sorted out with all the new guys. patience is going to be needed until sometime in November I would think.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:32 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
gotta think chemistry is going to be an issue with the Phantoms for a little while, until things get sorted out with all the new guys. patience is going to be needed until sometime in November I would think.
Its gonna be interesting to see who makes the team. They have WAYYY to many guys, and a team of just pure young players isnt always a good thing. Vets are needed to help teach the young guys. Last season, the vets were bad (Ward, Mormina, etc etc) but hoping this season 1 or 2 vets can help lead them. I dont expect them to jump up in scoring but with either Bob or Backlund in net, with a blueline that consists of Lehtivouri, Gustafsson, Marshall, and Bourdon, they have to be alittle more solid defensively.

Offensively will be a mystery. Guys like Legein, Maroon, Pither, Testwuide, Holmstrom, Nodl, and Laliberte made the team. Rinaldo most likely does with someone like Klotz on the buttom line. Harper seems to be on that buttom line, and Rowe, from what I saw in his one preseason game, looked to be decent. Then we have Wellwood who is still up with the Flyers. Then you got McGinn who is trying to make the team. I still would like maybe one vet, but there are way to many players this season trying out. Any way you see it, there will be people sitting (or playing in say the ECHL, which I dont think is a great league to have a prospect in)

Old
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Its gonna be interesting to see who makes the team. They have WAYYY to many guys, and a team of just pure young players isnt always a good thing. Vets are needed to help teach the young guys. Last season, the vets were bad (Ward, Mormina, etc etc) but hoping this season 1 or 2 vets can help lead them. I dont expect them to jump up in scoring but with either Bob or Backlund in net, with a blueline that consists of Lehtivouri, Gustafsson, Marshall, and Bourdon, they have to be alittle more solid defensively.

Offensively will be a mystery. Guys like Legein, Maroon, Pither, Testwuide, Holmstrom, Nodl, and Laliberte made the team. Rinaldo most likely does with someone like Klotz on the buttom line. Harper seems to be on that buttom line, and Rowe, from what I saw in his one preseason game, looked to be decent. Then we have Wellwood who is still up with the Flyers. Then you got McGinn who is trying to make the team. I still would like maybe one vet, but there are way to many players this season trying out. Any way you see it, there will be people sitting (or playing in say the ECHL, which I dont think is a great league to have a prospect in)
Intended typo?

Old
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Intended typo?
Getting my laptop fixed so Im on some ****** computer in my schools computer place. I type fast without re-reading alot, and my laptop has automatic spellcheck so spelling wise Im ussually good. But this computer doesnt have it. So no, just ****** typing lol.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Getting my laptop fixed so Im on some ****** computer in my schools computer place. I type fast without re-reading alot, and my laptop has automatic spellcheck so spelling wise Im ussually good. But this computer doesnt have it. So no, just ****** typing lol.
No biggie, I just found it funny. I thought maybe you thought that little of Klotz and Rinaldo or something.

Old
09-30-2010, 01:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
A couple of yhears ago, we had the same situation in Manchester. lots of young kids with talent and promise but not much feel for the pro game. Hextall and Lombardi didnt adress this by going out and bringing in a vet to help the kids out. That team faultered down the stretch, lost many close games late. The result, they missed the playoffs for the first and only time in Monarchs team history. Not saying the same thing will happen here, but its vital IMO to have some vets around to help these kids out in certian situations on the ice. The coaching staff cant be out there with them to tell them where to be when you are trying to close out a one goal lead and the faceoff in your own zone.
You just cant throw a "stacked" lineup full of kids with no experience at the pro game and hope to succeed. It just doesnt happen.

Old
09-30-2010, 01:37 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

The amount of guys competing for a Phantom spot made me question why Clackson was resigned. We knew Rinaldo was making the jump and we are stuck with Klotz anyway so I didn't see the point in him returning. I still don't.

Old
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2360
Ex-Phantom and Flyers' draft pick Josh Beaulieu signed with a hockey team in South Dakota today.

Charlie, he was a Londoner, IIRC.

Old
10-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Update on Tyler Hostetter from last night against Niagara.

I've always liked Hostetter. Definitely one of the more underrated defenseman in the league. He's not really a flashy guy, but someone who's quietly a good two way defender. He makes good decisions with the puck and had a couple of nice rushes into Niagara's zone, particularly in the third period when Erie was really trying to shift momentum. Defensively, I think his lateral mobility and general agility help him to play both off the rush and in the zone. I'm not really sure what type of NHL defenseman he could be, but he's a solid player.

Old
10-01-2010, 10:07 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Ex-Phantom and Flyers' draft pick Josh Beaulieu signed with a hockey team in South Dakota today.

Charlie, he was a Londoner, IIRC.
Yep, he was. He's in the CHL, pretty much where I expected him to end up.

Old
10-01-2010, 10:08 PM
goalby66

Send a message via ICQ to goalby66
Phantoms lost 2-1 in OT against Albany in their home exhibition game. Pither scored the lone goal for Adirondack.

Game was pretty evenly matched. Granted it doesn't count yet, but this could be more enjoyable team to watch this year. Some of the new guys played well. I really was impressed with Pither and Wellwood. Luke hit the crossbar twice, one of them with a minute to go in OT. Rinaldo played really physical (as he's supposed to), but took a bunch of really stupid penalties, one of which resulted in the Devil's first goal.

As for some of the guys who returned:

- Maroon was pretty invisible for most of the game, with the exception of the fight he got into at the end of the first.
- Legein had a quiet game was well.
- Stewart got the start and was solid.
- Lehtivouri almost won the game on a nice rush towards the end of the third.

Have to wait two more weeks until the home opener to watch the Phantoms play again, but I'm pretty psyched for the season to start

Old
10-01-2010, 10:22 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalby66 View Post
Phantoms lost 2-1 in OT against Albany in their home exhibition game. Pither scored the lone goal for Adirondack.

Game was pretty evenly matched. Granted it doesn't count yet, but this could be more enjoyable team to watch this year. Some of the new guys played well. I really was impressed with Pither and Wellwood. Luke hit the crossbar twice, one of them with a minute to go in OT. Rinaldo played really physical (as he's supposed to), but took a bunch of really stupid penalties, one of which resulted in the Devil's first goal.

As for some of the guys who returned:

- Maroon was pretty invisible for most of the game, with the exception of the fight he got into at the end of the first.
- Legein had a quiet game was well.
- Stewart got the start and was solid.
- Lehtivouri almost won the game on a nice rush towards the end of the third.

Have to wait two more weeks until the home opener to watch the Phantoms play again, but I'm pretty psyched for the season to start
Thanks for the update, I was hoping to hear better things about Maroon and Legein, I thought they'd have something to prove. Hopefully it gets better from here. Nice to hear Pither and Wellwood had good games, I read that Pither was 3rd in the OHL in scoring behind only Hall and Seguin, he must be pretty bad defensively to go undrafted. Hopefully he gets that part of his game down and becomes a nice pickup.

Old
10-01-2010, 10:35 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
I read that Pither was 3rd in the OHL in scoring behind only Hall and Seguin, he must be pretty bad defensively to go undrafted. Hopefully he gets that part of his game down and becomes a nice pickup.
Not quite.

a) Pither played his first couple of years in Guelph, which is a wasteland for offensively creative players. Guelph lives and dies with its defensive play.

b) Pither was traded to Barrie, and really broke out. He earned his ice time on the top line, and first unit PP - and took full advantage of it. His team was a powerhouse last season as well.

c) Pretty bad defensively = Pat Kane. And we all know where he got drafted.

Old
10-01-2010, 10:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Not quite.

a) Pither played his first couple of years in Guelph, which is a wasteland for offensively creative players. Guelph lives and dies with its defensive play.

b) Pither was traded to Barrie, and really broke out. He earned his ice time on the top line, and first unit PP - and took full advantage of it. His team was a powerhouse last season as well.

This is the correct answer.

It seems as though Pither was completely stifled and forced out of his element.

That doesn't necessarily guarantee NHL success for him though. He's had a rough go at some of the most critical years of a prospect's development.

Best thing to do is take it slow and see how he does this season.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:28 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:

Assuming none of these guys make the big club, this is how I see it:

Maroon Pither Nodl (Pither may seem like a stretch for 1st line duties but they aren't deep with scoring centers and they want Nodl to develop offensively, I originally had Maroon and Wellwood switched but changed it because I think Maroon and Testwuide will player similar roles (albeit different abilities).
Wellwood Holmstrom Testwuide
Legein Kalinski Laliberte
Klotz Rinaldo Moore

Andrew Rowe - LW (I was impressed with his preseason Flyers debut)
Shane Harper - RW
Tye McGinn - LW
Matt Clackson - LW

Last edited by hockeyphan25: 10-02-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old
10-02-2010, 12:02 AM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Not quite.

Thank you, also I found an older post which indicates:

a.) One of the reasons he finished third in scoring was because he was an overager (not that it's not an accomplishment).

b.) He's very shy physically.

c.) He seems to be a player who can score at the CHL level but doesn't have much NHL potential.

I could see the guy finishing 3rd in OHL scoring (and who had almost a 2pt per game pace the previous year not being selected in the first couple rounds but to go undrafted seemed strange to me (this coming from someone who's never seen him play).

Old
10-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Not quite.

Not entirely true. He spent his rookie year in Kingston and was a big disappointment after being drafted 4th or 5th overall (before Drew Doughty, even). He was traded very early in his second year to Guelph where, although I could see he had offensive skill, his production was stifled by their system.

Closed Thread