HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers waive Souray and Gerber

Old
09-30-2010, 12:23 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I honestly think it had very little to do with it. Goaltending depth has been a huge killer for us on the farm in recent seasons. Tambellini said himself the lack of goaltending depth is one of the things that really bothered him and hurt the farm team. Kevin Prendergast always wanted his drafted goalies to get all the starts and was stubborn in the negative when asked if we needed more depth there. I suspect among other reasons that played a small part in KP being shown the door.

I think the Gerber signing played a lot of roles...Khabi not going to prison right away made things a lot easier, but I think Gerber's intended role was as a veteran goaltender for the OKC team (to help along one of the younger guys) and be an available call-up for injuries if it gets real bad.

if Khabi had to spend considerable time in jail then there'd have been a strong chance that he'd stick as the backup here.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
So ... what happens if Souray reports for OKC? Are they going to let him play? Do they have to let him play?
Premature, they havent assigned him to the farm yet just waived him.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Would Souray risk giving up guaranteed 9M in the next 2 years over a 1 year ~2M contract with another club?
That's why it was more of a hypothetical question.

I said it was likely too good to be true for those reasons.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:24 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyen View Post
I thought we signed Gerber to a 2-way deal? Why would the oilers put him on waivers?
waivers is based upon experience and not the contract

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
waivers is based upon experience and not the contract
this really needs to be a sticky

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:27 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
I agree with you of course. But there are a number of posters on here that believe otherwise.

I would not necessarily say he is the OKC back up though. I think if say JDD goes down. That they would split the starts probably with JDD getting a few more along the way.
Gerber may be a better, more consistent goalie right now than JD or DD, but the Oiler's aren't looking for a old back up, they are trying to see if they have a young starter in JD or DD, and the only way to find out is to play them. Yes, Gerber will get starts in OKC, but as long as the young guys are healthy and not struggling BIG time, one of them will be the starter on the farm, and one will be the back in the NHL getting at least 35 to 40 percent of the games up here.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelusionOIL View Post
I sincerely doubt the Oiler's put Souray on re-entry waivers. Quite simply.... they have ZERO reason to let another team poach him for half the salary.

I would be willing to bet as we do not need the cap space right now that Katz has made it perfectly clear that if no-one wants him that he would be more than happy to pay his salary and have him gather dust at home.
So you think that Katz would rather pay him 9 million over the next two seasons than half that much on re-entry waivers? I have no problem making him sit. But I am not sure Katz would mind saving 4+ million if there is zero reasonable trade market/value for Souray.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
this really needs to be a sticky
Agreed.

There's always so much confusion among a few posters when people mention a 2-way contract.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:29 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
So you think that Katz would rather pay him 9 million over the next two seasons than half that much on re-entry waivers? I have no problem making him sit. But I am not sure Katz would mind saving 4+ million if there is zero reasonable trade market for Souray.

I think if Tambo really can't find a viable dance partner to get Souray off their hands they'd rather just be rid of him entirely.

His contract is only another 2 years, it's not a massive hit to eat only about half of it.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Mr Sakich

maybe...

Tambellis couriers out a bottle of 100 year old scotch to very GM in the league. It arives today. Every GM is grateful and has a wee nip or two.

By 10:00 tonight, at least a couple will be totally hammered enough to check out the waivers wire just for giggles...

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
What about this...

Souray clears Waivers and the Oilers expect him to report to Oklahoma City, but he doesn't. This means the Oilers suspend Souray thus making him terminate the contract and he becomes a UFA. I'm pretty sure this could happen, right? I'm pretty sure it's in the rules.

Will it happen? Probably not because it's likely too good to be true.
He definitely reports. Why wouldn't he? If taking the bus is the only horrible aspect of playing in the minors, Souray could just hire a private driver/jet to take him around with the salary he'll be making!

rays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:32 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Oilers Assign 4 More

Petry
Chorney
Plante
McDonald

Hopefully Plante and Petry light it up down there and Chorney gets himself back on track.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:33 PM
DelusionOIL

Quote:
So you think that Katz would rather pay him 9 million over the next two seasons than half that much on re-entry waivers? I have no problem making him sit. But I am not sure Katz would mind saving 4+ million if there is zero reasonable trade market/value for Souray.
Yes I do actually. I am probably crazy, but after what was said about the organization. I think Katz is going to make a point, if someone wants him and is willing to pay full value then fine. But if Souray/Other teams think the Oiler's are going to do them or Souray any favors for what really equates to pocket change for Katz I think they have another thing coming.

I think Katz has given the OK to make a point. And I think that is what the Oilers are doing... But I could be completely wrong, its just what I gather by the actions and words that have been taken/said so far.

DelusionOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
I sincerely doubt the Oiler's put Souray on re-entry waivers. Quite simply.... they have ZERO reason to let another team poach him for half the salary.

I would be willing to bet as we do not need the cap space right now that Katz has made it perfectly clear that if no-one wants him that he would be more than happy to pay his salary and have him gather dust at home.
Just another nail in the coffin of the image of the Edmonton Oilers as an organization that already has a big rep for being vindictive towards players that have fallen out of favor. If Souray is as much garbage on ice, injury wise or character wise as everyone including the oilers seems to think they should have no worry about ditching him, saving some millions and getting cap relief.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EberAwesome View Post
I can't see him not reporting to OKC, he still wants to make his salary this year.
I can't imagine they don't send him to OKC. The reason a team would put some one on re entry is so they don't have to pay the player as much. If you don't care about cap hit, it is better then putting him in the minors. However no way Katz can't just deal with paying him 4.5 mill to sit in the minors.

I see him being sent to OKC. I really hope he doesn't report and they can void the contract.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:39 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yes I do actually. I am probably crazy, but after what was said about the organization. I think Katz is going to make a point, if someone wants him and is willing to pay full value then fine. But if Souray/Other teams think the Oiler's are going to do them or Souray any favors for what really equates to pocket change for Katz I think they have another thing coming.

I think Katz has given the OK to make a point. And I think that is what the Oilers are doing... But I could be completely wrong, its just what I gather by the actions and words that have been taken/said so far.
Exaclty. If they send him on re entries he eats up 2.7 in cap space and they pay him 2.7. If the goes to OKC it costs no cap space but costs Katz 4.5 mill. To me this is a easy deal for Katz, he will fork over the 1.8 extra mill to A. not eat up cap space. and B. make a point.

Can't see him hitting re entries. The oilers do him a favour and hurt the club by limiting Salery cap space. It is easy to say we don't need cap space, but it this team takes off this year. THen suddenly a super star is on the market next summer. The oilers could use it. THey won't let Souray handcuff them like that.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:40 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Just another nail in the coffin of the image of the Edmonton Oilers as an organization that already has a big rep for being vindictive towards players that have fallen out of favor. If Souray is as much garbage on ice, injury wise or character wise as everyone including the oilers seems to think they should have no worry about ditching him, saving some millions and getting cap relief.
Are you serious? A player that has fallen out of favor? He is the one that stated all the BS that he was mistreated and he didn't want to be here. It's not like the Oilers are sitting him because he is no good.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I think Gerber will be claimed, which would be a shame IMO. He's a great back-up goalie at his price tag.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Exaclty. If they send him on re entries he eats up 2.7 in cap space and they pay him 2.7. If the goes to OKC it costs no cap space but costs Katz 4.5 mill.
My only deal with that theory is we do not need the cap space right now. We have plenty as is with Souray on the books (I think we have 8 million free and clear in space just looking at cap geek really quick).

We will probably not be in any kind of a cap space crunch until two Summers from now. At which time Souray will be off the books one way or the other.

So if the cap space really means nothing then that means Katz saves real money on the re-entry waivers option.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
joestevens29

Any idea who else is on waivers today?

Old
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rays View Post
He definitely reports. Why wouldn't he? If taking the bus is the only horrible aspect of playing in the minors, Souray could just hire a private driver/jet to take him around with the salary he'll be making!
Why would he take the bus? Team bonding?

Like you say, first class flights and limo's all the way...

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
STOP... it's party time!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:47 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Sorry if this is a stupid question, how long does Souray stay on waivers before he's either assigned to OKC or put on re-entry?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Any idea who else is on waivers today?
According to Bobby Mac on twitter:

TSNBobMcKenzie
Waivers today: Festerling, Syvret in ANA; Krahn in DAL; Kronwall in CGY; Souray, Gerber in EDM; Tim Conboym Whitmore, C Stuart in BUF;

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, how long does Souray stay on waivers before he's either assigned to OKC or put on re-entry?
24 hours.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Exaclty. If they send him on re entries he eats up 2.7 in cap space and they pay him 2.7. If the goes to OKC it costs no cap space but costs Katz 4.5 mill. To me this is a easy deal for Katz, he will fork over the 1.8 extra mill to A. not eat up cap space. and B. make a point.

Can't see him hitting re entries. The oilers do him a favour and hurt the club by limiting Salery cap space. It is easy to say we don't need cap space, but it this team takes off this year. THen suddenly a super star is on the market next summer. The oilers could use it. THey won't let Souray handcuff them like that.
Why would the Oilers care over the next two years about cap space. The Oilers could sign someone for $9M next year and likely still have cap space. But the reAlity is this simply is not happening.

$4.5M is a lot of real money to flush away on teaching someone a lesson. Strategically, they had beter be trying to do whatever gets them the best return and forget about teaching Souray a lesson.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote