HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers waive Souray and Gerber

Old
09-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
I think people are really overrating Gerber here. He looked decent, not great. If Smid doesn't knock the puck out of the air, then that's two bad goals in half a game last night. He's a good insurance policy, but I'd rather go with either of the young guys in the NHL at this point. I think Dubnyk's looked solid, and JDD is what he is; an athletic goalie who will get caught out of position once in a while but can also make saves few goalies can. His numbers weren't that bad last year either, I think he proved he can play in the NHL.

I think this is another case of fans warming up to the shiny new toy and choosing to overlook any of the negatives. I'm guilty of it too. We did it with Cole, POS, Lupul, etc etc.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Spiff The Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Are you serious? A player that has fallen out of favor? He is the one that stated all the BS that he was mistreated and he didn't want to be here. It's not like the Oilers are sitting him because he is no good.
If only they did not force him to play injured...

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:54 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDesigner View Post
Because there is so much demand for Martin Gerber, that he just had to play for a year in the KHL? So much demand, that he signed a two-way contract with the last place Oilers?
And don't forget that thin goalie market. It's not like the starter from last season's President's Trophy winner is being picky at this point.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I think people are really overrating Gerber here. He looked decent, not great. If Smid doesn't knock the puck out of the air, then that's two bad goals in half a game last night. He's a good insurance policy, but I'd rather go with either of the young guys in the NHL at this point. I think Dubnyk's looked solid, and JDD is what he is; an athletic goalie who will get caught out of position once in a while but can also make saves few goalies can. His numbers weren't that bad last year either, I think he proved he can play in the NHL.

I think this is another case of fans warming up to the shiny new toy and choosing to overlook any of the negatives. I'm guilty of it too. We did it with Cole, POS, Lupul, etc etc.
Yeah, so I get that, but he still only allowed 1 goal in all of his Preseason time, especially playing a decent roster in Van without much infront of him. JDD has looked shaky and DD has looked underwhelming.

Maybe he's being overrated a bit, but you're clearly underrating what he's done.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:55 PM
r0adApples

I don't fully understand how re-entry waivers work. If he is placed on re-entry waivers and no one claims him at half price for his salary, where does he play? Does re-entry waivers mean he is "recalled" back to the big club?

r0adApples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'm a little worried about Gerber being snapped up, maybe by the Caps or the Wild.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if he clears. He played extremely well. It kind of makes me wonder why they signed him to begin with. Very cheap and very effective.

I know they were hoping it was insurance for Khabbi and the possible loss of one of the other guys, but it still seems a bit pre-mature.

I doubt very much he clears waivers.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
I disagree.

Dubnyk is ready, IMO. Deslauriers will likely join Gerber on the Waiver-wire soon or be dealt.

If Dubnyk is the back-up I can see him playing between 15-25 games. Khabibulin isn't getting any younger and he is coming off major back surgery.
His .889 Sv% last year says different. So does the sight of him waiving at 50 footers with his glove while they sail by into the net in the preseason. He has potential, but would be better served getting more playing time in the ahl, until he is able to work it out and elevate his play to the necessary level. Dubnyk isnt garbage, but he isnt ready imo.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 09-30-2010 at 02:15 PM.
I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:58 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Just another nail in the coffin of the image of the Edmonton Oilers as an organization that already has a big rep for being vindictive towards players that have fallen out of favor. If Souray is as much garbage on ice, injury wise or character wise as everyone including the oilers seems to think they should have no worry about ditching him, saving some millions and getting cap relief.
What are you talking about? They tried to give him away for nothing. FOR NOTHING. Nobody want's Souray at his price tag. You think Hossa and Nylander didn't sign here because of management? I think they signed with the place where they had the best chance to win. And that last sentence makes no sense. If he is as garbage as other teams obviously think he is, of course nobody wants him.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Yeah, I'd be surprised if he clears. He played extremely well. It kind of makes me wonder why they signed him to begin with. Very cheap and very effective.

I know they were hoping it was insurance for Khabbi and the possible loss of one of the other guys, but it still seems a bit pre-mature.

I doubt very much he clears waivers.
I wouldn't go so far as to say I doubt he'll clear, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple teams took a bit of a look.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yeah, so I get that, but he still only allowed 1 goal in all of his Preseason time, especially playing a decent roster in Van without much infront of him. JDD has looked shaky and DD has looked underwhelming.

Maybe he's being overrated a bit, but you're clearly underrating what he's done.
First, I don't think Gerber looked good last night. And maybe I'm completely off-base, but I didn't really get all the criticism for JDD's game. The first goal bounced off Reddox, and the second was a man alone in front. He made some nice saves too. And I don't think DD's looked all that bad either.

Basically it boils down to I guess me not seeing the same things other fans are seeing in our goalies. And I don't think you can put Gerber ahead of either youngster based on 60 minutes of preseason hockey, 30 of which he didn't look all that great.

I mean, do you just throw out last season? JDD played well last year, and Dubnyk was solid at the end of the year. I think at best the difference between all three of the goalies is negligible, and in that case I go with one of the younger goalies who may have a future with the team.

I could be very, very wrong though.

Edit: Let me qualify my opinion on DD. Yeah he let in a really bad goal, but I don't think you can decide to drop him based on that. It was his first PS game of the season, goalie's are just getting back in the groove. Is Schneider a horrible prospect now because the Oilers put up 8 on him? No. I liked what I saw from DD positionally.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
cfrancis

Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I'll be surprised if Gerber doesn't clear. I can't think of a team that will want him.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:08 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Gerber is and always has been their insurance against one of JD/DD gatting picked up on waivers or injured. Before he was signed they only had 3 goalies capable of playing at an AHL level... and all 3 are on 1 way deals.If Gerber gets claimed then good for him.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:08 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I'll be surprised if Gerber doesn't clear. I can't think of a team that will want him.
Minny?

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
First, I don't think Gerber looked good last night. And maybe I'm completely off-base, but I didn't really get all the criticism for JDD's game. The first goal bounced off Reddox, and the second was a man alone in front. He made some nice saves too. And I don't think DD's looked all that bad either.
One is saying he should have had the first goal, but before that he looked really shaky on a shoot in and wasn't great on the 2nd goal, for a guy that's always down, you think he would have covered the net better.

Gerber was a bit scrambly in parts, but he was sort of thrown into the fire, gets right in and the Oilers have a couple of major break downs, and he kept the puck out with the help of Smid of course. I'm not saying he was outstanding, but solid he was imo.

Quote:
Basically it boils down to I guess me not seeing the same things other fans are seeing in our goalies. And I don't think you can put Gerber ahead of either youngster based on 60 minutes of preseason hockey, 30 of which he didn't look all that great.
Part of the thing is he put in his time against decent opposition, especially in Van, and he's more of known commodity. He's played in the NHL before, with success, and he seemed to show that. He knew he was likely headed to the minors, and still played very well.

Quote:
I mean, do you just throw out last season? JDD played well last year, and Dubnyk was solid at the end of the year. I think at best the difference between all three of the goalies is negligible, and in that case I go with one of the younger goalies who may have a future with the team.

I could be very, very wrong though.
I'm not arguing that last season wasn't a boondoggle, but you can't throw it out. If JDD or DD were losing all the time with Sv% of .915 or better, then fine I can accept that. If they are getting 35+ shots a night and losing 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, that's acceptable because that really shows the team sucking balls. But that wasn't the case.

They both have shown flashes, but I'm not confident in either as the future going forward.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:14 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
JDD's save% was 9.01

Marc Andre Fleury's was .905

What would those numbers look like if they switched clubs?

Just saying.
Fleury has had his issues with consistency as well. What's your point? JDD is as good as Fleury?

Old
09-30-2010, 02:16 PM
cfrancis

Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Minny?
They have Khudobin and I really think that they want to see what he can do. Backstrom can be a workhorse and pull 60-65 games. I don't see them making a move unless they are in the mix at the deadline and picking up a veteren at that point.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:20 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Just another nail in the coffin of the image of the Edmonton Oilers as an organization that already has a big rep for being vindictive towards players that have fallen out of favor. If Souray is as much garbage on ice, injury wise or character wise as everyone including the oilers seems to think they should have no worry about ditching him, saving some millions and getting cap relief.
I agree with your post in theory, just not to the level of the "Just another nail in the coffin" comment.
The best thing for both parties is to put him on re-entry waivers and eat the $2.7 mil for the next 2 years, it's not like the Oilers will have cap issues for the next 2 years and we can finally put the drama behind us while Souray gets his wish to play for another team.
For the Oilers to be vindictive in this situation will accomplish nothing except to keep this black could over the organization, it's time to move on completely and re-entry waivers is the best (only) way to do that.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Fleury has had his issues with consistency as well. What's your point? JDD is as good as Fleury?
Horcoff, Strudwick, Chorney.....

Malkin, Crosby, Gonchar....

I think my point is rather obvious (JDD's save% last year was actually pretty solid considering what he was playing behind).

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:24 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Next words out of Souray's mouth, 'what am I doing here,' from the Oklahoma Baron's bus.
This comment made my day!

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Are you serious? A player that has fallen out of favor? He is the one that stated all the BS that he was mistreated and he didn't want to be here. It's not like the Oilers are sitting him because he is no good.
His arguments for being 'mistreated' could be 100% valid, the oilers organization until just recently has been a clown show.. This is just the same as the Comrie, Smyth, Pronger, Nylander, Heatley, etc etc etc etc. The fan base and management gets in such a tizzy over what they perceive as snubs that they get totally out of whack when it comes to being shrewd hockey people who in the end make moves based on what is best for the team as a whole rather than. "What will make me feel best right now."

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:27 PM
kjams

Decent guide to waivers for the confused: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ide-to-the-nhl

Its long but not terribly difficult to read.

kjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
What are you talking about? They tried to give him away for nothing. FOR NOTHING. Nobody want's Souray at his price tag. You think Hossa and Nylander didn't sign here because of management? I think they signed with the place where they had the best chance to win. And that last sentence makes no sense. If he is as garbage as other teams obviously think he is, of course nobody wants him.
No concrete evidence to your 1st point that I have seen.

Nylander certainly 100% for sure did not sign here due to the teams rep. He was signed sealed and delivered until his wife freaked out.

My last sentence was in response to the poster I quoted indicating that the Oilers shouldn't be doing anyone any favors. I was indicating that if they and every other team thinks the guy is pure garbage then the oilers wouldn't be doing any team a favor by waiving him for half price.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I agree with your post in theory, just not to the level of the "Just another nail in the coffin" comment.
The best thing for both parties is to put him on re-entry waivers and eat the $2.7 mil for the next 2 years, it's not like the Oilers will have cap issues for the next 2 years and we can finally put the drama behind us while Souray gets his wish to play for another team.
For the Oilers to be vindictive in this situation will accomplish nothing except to keep this black could over the organization, it's time to move on completely and re-entry waivers is the best (only) way to do that.
I agree, if they stick him on reentry and he gets claimed the oilers save cash and cap space, another team gets the player and Souray gets to play. My beef was with the statements that we should smile, pay him his salary, stick it to him and let him sit. A classic example of short term gain/fun or long term pain. Much like the other examples of the oilers flying off the handle to our general detriment.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
Horcoff, Strudwick, Chorney.....

Malkin, Crosby, Gonchar....

I think my point is rather obvious (JDD's save% last year was actually pretty solid considering what he was playing behind).
I think the teams fortunes were directly proportional to the quality of our goaltending. I really could care less what the numbers say, I watched ever game last year, and so did a lot of other people here. You would be hard pressed to find ten of them that have any confidence in JDD at all.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
I agree, if they stick him on reentry and he gets claimed the oilers save cash and cap space, another team gets the player and Souray gets to play. My beef was with the statements that we should smile, pay him his salary, stick it to him and let him sit. A classic example of short term gain/fun or long term pain. Much like the other examples of the oilers flying off the handle to our general detriment.
I just don't get the comments by some people saying that the organization should just let him rot, that could only serve to create negative attention for the organization if anything, who cares if Souray gets his wish to play for another team, just move the hell on already by any means possible.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote