HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Last nights game

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 12:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Last nights game

A few observations:

Gruden played well. He's small, but hit a lot of people. I liked him, and think he was one of the better guys on defense last night.

Fortin looked lost at times.

Bondra fought right by my seats. It was awesome. The best cheer of the night.

Jagr must have pulled the groin early, because he put forth ZERO, NADA, ZILCH effort when he was on the ice. LOTS of people were yelling at him.

Gordon, Emminger, and Pettinger (i think) were sitting together by themselves on the club level. They looked bored out of their minds. They hardly even talked to one another.

Semin looked good at times, but I bet he either gets sent back to Russia, or does the 10 game thingy to get him ready for next season (ALA Emminger).

Lang, Zubrus, Kono, and Grier all dominated in the game.

Nylander looked off at times.

Kiwi and Doig looked more confident.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
10-02-2003, 02:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
A few observations:

Semin looked good at times, but I bet he either gets sent back to Russia, or does the 10 game thingy to get him ready for next season (ALA Emminger).
Kiwi and Doig looked more confident.
Some observations on your observations.

Kiwi and Doig looked more confident. But did it help at all?
checking the scoresheet I see that on the ice for the flyers goals were
#1 Kwiatkowski and Fortin #2 Doig and Boumedienne #3 Doig and Gruden #4 Kwiatkowski and Fortin. Looks to me like Doig and Kiwi had there fingers in all 4 Flyers goals.

Semin has 3 assists in 4 games played from the NHL play by play report had the Caps best shot on goal that didn't go in. From all reports his skills are outstanding and he has not been afraid to show them. I think he stays and plays on the first line with Jagr and gets at least 2nd unit power play time with Robert Lang. Last season Eminger was timid and
seemed overmatched. From what ive seen and heard Semin has been a force and far from timid. He has 7 shots over two games. He charged the net and ran Fluery over against Pittsburgh and racked up an assist on the go Lang's ppg.

Old
10-02-2003, 02:18 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Semin isnt going anywhere...

And If he does...I start shooting bananas.

Haha...sorry...I just wanted an excuse to use the new smilies!

In all seriousness....Semin is proving that he should stay. The ones that have not seen him play just dont understand how good he is. People on other boards are like "Well he needs more time...he's small...he's not ready" I really dont think these people have seen the kid play. His vision on the ice and anticipation of the play is amazing. He moves the puck well reguardless of where he is on the ice. His shot is amazing...and he's not afraid to let it rip. Granted he hasnt scored yet...but the goals will come with more playing time.

There is no doubt in my mind the Caps will keep him here this season. Ive been watching the Caps for 18 years....I cannot remember being this excited about one player...ever. Bondra always had an allure to him...but never anything like this at this age.

Old
10-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincargo
Semin isnt going anywhere...

And If he does...I start shooting bananas.

Haha...sorry...I just wanted an excuse to use the new smilies!

In all seriousness....Semin is proving that he should stay. The ones that have not seen him play just dont understand how good he is. People on other boards are like "Well he needs more time...he's small...he's not ready" I really dont think these people have seen the kid play. His vision on the ice and anticipation of the play is amazing. He moves the puck well reguardless of where he is on the ice. His shot is amazing...and he's not afraid to let it rip. Granted he hasnt scored yet...but the goals will come with more playing time.

There is no doubt in my mind the Caps will keep him here this season. Ive been watching the Caps for 18 years....I cannot remember being this excited about one player...ever. Bondra always had an allure to him...but never anything like this at this age.
I have yet to see Semin play, so I'll reserve personal judgement, but even from reading about him I haven't been able to formulate a clear opinion on him. This is what seems to be clear about his game:

-his shot is incredible
-he is phyiscally overmatched at times
-he has speed but hasn't shown it

It seems he has goal scoring skills, but to what extent? At times from what I've read it seems like he has good talent, but nothing extremely special. At other times, like after reading jin's post, it seems like he's the next Bondra (40 goal scorer). So maybe he'll be something in between the two, ala Jeff Friesen. Will he be a marginal goal scorer who will wallow in 25 goal mediocrity or be a game breaker with potential to become an elite NHL goalscorer? I'm a bit confused.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:04 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

It's because you havent seen him....Im telling you. Im not saying he's the next anything or anyone...but the guy has mad potential.

Plus....he's not as physically overmatched as its portrayed. Yeah...when he gets hit you notice it...but he can hang with it. He really can. For an entire NHL season tho? Maybe not...but thats why we have a Miller or whoever to spell him every once and awhile.

You have to see him play before any judgements can be made...this is true about any prospect. You cant just say someone is or is not ready without seeing them actually play.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:17 PM
CapsIntensity68

i haven't seen Semin either and I as well will reserve final judgement until I do, but from what people are saying he is a very exciting player with definate game breaking potential who does not shy away from physical play. If this is the case and he isn't a Jagr and he will show up everynight he is in the lineup, then I WANT THIS GUY HERE FOR 82, not 10! Screw Miller, throw him up there with Jagr and make Miller second fiddle to Semin, not Semin second fiddle to Miller.

I'm also hoping that Gordon hangs around and plays wing on the 4th line and gets PK time as well Sutherby getting more than 2 minutes per game this year.

Basically I'm looking for a big time commitment from this team towards youth, and it looks like we might finally be seeing it.

Also, Ouellet. Full year in Portland and then DC next year? Thats what I think.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:47 PM
CapsCrazy46

vCash:
Okay, my opinion.

Semin? 1st period, absolutely horrible, he must be a slow starter. 2nd+3rd, definitely flashes of brillance. His vision was amazing for a young forward and his anticipation was awesome. Overmatched physically? Yes, at times. I think he lacks a little confidence. Once he gets some experience, he will feel right at home. Remember, he speaks no english and he is not use to his linemates. Will be worthy of the 1st wing position by all-star break.

txpd, good observations. I thought Yonkers and Fortin were the two best D-men on the ice. Fortin sprung Kono on the partial breakaway, I was shocked with his play compaired to last year. Yonkers controled the front of the net! Awesome on the boards too, banging everyone. Kiwi and Gruden? Awful, yeah, Gruden hit a few times, but they both looked lost, a lot. I was disappointed after seeing Gruden at a practice and thought he might turn out to be a good pickup.

Doig and Boumedienne, there average play from last season.

Anyway, just another opinion.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

More thoughts

Semin seemed to fall down quite a bit. Kinda like Zuby used to do. His passing looked nice, I don't know if he was credited with any shots against the Flyers, but I can't remember anything that good. I was hoping he would look a little better carrying the puck, but I thought he was average there too. He did have some nice passes.

My comment about Doig and Kiwi looking more confident. Well let me first say that I absolutely couldn't stand Kiwi last season. But he looked more confident on offense. Doig would go for the big hits last season and often take himself out of the play. I think I might have seen him do that only once against the Flyers. He made some really nice hits.

As for Capscrazy46's comments about Fortin. I was right behind him as he let the puck trickle through the crease for an easy tap in. I thought he played poorly. But, I sit at the end the Caps shoot at twice, so maybe I didn't have a great view of him the 1st and 3rd periods. The 2nd period he was *****. I totally disagree with your comments about Gruden. I thought he played much better than Kiwi last season.

However I did think that Boumedienne looked lost at times.

I'm not sure what defensive pairs contributed to which Flyers goals, but I thought Olie was off. We gave up a few really lame goals.b

Closed Thread