HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery a goner?

Old
09-29-2010, 09:35 PM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAC View Post
I am actually sick to my stomach reading all these posts praising sean avery. The guy is an absolute joke as a hockey player.

He seeks out opposing players, gets under their skin because he is an annoying little mite and when someone calls him out he runs and hides like a coward, because he is a coward.

If you think this is a hockey player then you do not know the game. The game is played by men with honor ... not annoying little boys who spew crap from their mouths.

Its like a little smart ass kid who take liberties and then says ... You can't hit me cause the law says so.

I used to like the Rangers, but ever since they signed this no good piece of crap I would not watch / cheer for them even if it was free. Mark Messier must be biting his lip so hard he is tasting blood.
The game is played by men who are good at it. Honor has absolutely nothing to do with it. Guys like Avery have been around since the game was invented, and they're always going to be around. Do yourself a favor and lighten up.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:42 PM
DMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
K, thanks for your input, there are 29 other team boards you can go to and cheer them on.
Thanks for all the clever comebacks. I expected no less from the Ranger fans ... I trash on one of your players, you attack me. I get it.

Orbital was bang on ... dusted off the old HF Board account just for my rant.

I feel better now. I will feel even better when avery's number comes up. He can't hide for ever.

DMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:55 PM
trilobyte

Well, the comebacks were more clever than your rant. Our fault.

Did you watch Avery play? I guess you've never seen him slug it out with players bigger than himself?

Your rant is so Pollyanna.

Do you post about Matt Cooke on Penguins boards?

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Chief

Not gonna think I'd do Avery and Gilroy for Souray and Gagner.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:32 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
I am actually sick to my stomach reading all these posts praising sean avery.
You should drink some warm milk before bedtime. It does wonders for my granny.... I am of course assuming, from your post, that you're an elderly woman. If not, try some Tums.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:01 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Quote:
I used to like the Rangers, but ever since they signed this no good piece of crap I would not watch / cheer for them even if it was free.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

Quote:
I am actually sick to my stomach reading all these posts praising sean avery. The guy is an absolute joke as a hockey player.

He seeks out opposing players, gets under their skin because he is an annoying little mite and when someone calls him out he runs and hides like a coward, because he is a coward.

If you think this is a hockey player then you do not know the game. The game is played by men with honor ... not annoying little boys who spew crap from their mouths.

Its like a little smart ass kid who take liberties and then says ... You can't hit me cause the law says so.

I used to like the Rangers, but ever since they signed this no good piece of crap I would not watch / cheer for them even if it was free. Mark Messier must be biting his lip so hard he is tasting blood.

people like you make me sick to my stomach. learn the game before posting. i dont care when the crap you joined this website.

yes im over exaggerating but im sure you get my point..
idiot.

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:08 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

People are different. How they percieve things. The 'men with honor' line is a bit Dudley Doright. ****--half the league it seems is made of players 27 or under who have been cosseted since they were teenagers. What the hell do what they do have to do have a thing to do with the concept of honor? Moving up the food chain to the veterans, the coaching staffs, the management, the owner's, the league offices--there is not much that I can see of some moralistic high ground that I would define as honorable being staked out by anybody.

The game is played for money, for bragging rights when your team wins, sure--but basically for cold hard cash. That is the way of the world. There is no moral to it at all--or any more moral to it than me slogging 8 hours a day on the night shift day after day or you doing what you do to earn your living.

Whatever universe you live in--your objectivity here seemed to be skewered as soon as you stated that Sean was a coward. A better definition is he's an as**h*** and there's a long line of them throughout the history of the league and every team in the league at one time or another is guilty of employing someone in their lineup every bit as nasty as he is. Claude Lemieux? Paul Baxter? Bugsy Watson? Bob Gassoff? Ulf Samuelsson? Bobby Clarke? Ken Linseman? Derek Sanderson? Durbano? Keith Acton? Literally tons of examples. And then there's Cooke, Downie, Ruuttu, Kaleta etc. etc. etc. playing nowadays.

What's funny to me--and don't take this wrong--is the thing that makes you sick entertains so many others. Society I'm sure is to blame. This world is just going right down the frigging toilet but you know what?--your sense of right and wrong isn't necessarily mine.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:57 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Thanks for all the clever comebacks. I expected no less from the Ranger fans ... I trash on one of your players, you attack me. I get it.

Orbital was bang on ... dusted off the old HF Board account just for my rant.

I feel better now. I will feel even better when avery's number comes up. He can't hide for ever.
I have to say, it's pretty tough to hear you from up on that pedestal. You should come down here with us knuckle dragging Ranger fans if you want to preach the Gospel of Men with Honor.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
You should drink some warm milk before bedtime. It does wonders for my granny.... I am of course assuming, from your post, that you're an elderly woman. If not, try some Tums.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:49 AM
ruckus*

You guys know what the best part about that guy is?

He is doing EXACTLY what Avery wants him to do. Him and Kovalchuk and Chico Resch and every other idiot who absolute LOSES it when it comes to Avery.

They're SO stupid that they don't even understand that them acting that way is doing EXACTLY what Sean wants.

Sean is so good at what he does. It's really a wonderful thing to watch.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Avery is a saint when compared to Matt Cooke, Jarkko Ruutu, Steve Ott, Patrick Kaleta and Dan Carcillo.

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Long live Sean, and may you tingle with irritation and anger every time you see him.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:48 PM
DMAC

So what he backs down from brawls sometimes.

This is my point ... thanks for agreeing.

Old
09-30-2010, 01:52 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Avery is a saint when compared to Matt Cooke, Jarkko Ruutu, Steve Ott, Patrick Kaleta and Dan Carcillo.
this. people who overreact about avery are either blinded by their bias, have some dellusional thought about how he's the first player to ever play with an edge, or they have never really watched him and jump to the conclusion that hes a dirty player.

fact of the matter is avery is not a dirty player. is he on the edge? yes, but hes never tried to injure a guy and besides the god awful **** that comes out of his mouth he has enough respect for the game not to take runs at people like carcillo and cooke or try to bite peoples fingers off like ruutu. avery isn't the first guy in the history of the game to have a big mouth and he wont be the last. hes good at what he does and hes a good hockey player

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
When I hear corsi 👇

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:

If I recall Messier played with a certain super pest known as Esa Tikkanen for many years in Edmonton and NY and I am sure if Mess dealt with him just fine he's also fine about Avery.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
DMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM3RR27 View Post
this. people who overreact about avery are either blinded by their bias, have some dellusional thought about how he's the first player to ever play with an edge, or they have never really watched him and jump to the conclusion that hes a dirty player.

fact of the matter is avery is not a dirty player. is he on the edge? yes, but hes never tried to injure a guy and besides the god awful **** that comes out of his mouth he has enough respect for the game not to take runs at people like carcillo and cooke or try to bite peoples fingers off like ruutu. avery isn't the first guy in the history of the game to have a big mouth and he wont be the last. hes good at what he does and hes a good hockey player
I never compared Avery to Cooke, Ruutu or Carcillo?? I agree these guys have huge issues. I am not sure why anyone is implying that I accept the behavior of these guys??

My post was about my dislike of Avery. I did not comment on his play ... I commented on his behavior (Go back and re-read my post) My post was about how he does not answer the bell when another player calls him out for his actions.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:06 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
So what he backs down from brawls sometimes.

This is my point ... thanks for agreeing.
Skill wise--Sean is a good player. The agitation makes him a more effective player. I've been following the game since the early 70's. The main thing I give a crap about is winning. Sure there are players out there who I'd rather not have on my team--Billy Tibbetts springs to mind. I wasn't all that sure getting Sean was a good idea originally but he quickly became a favorite of mine.

He plays tough and hard. Do I expect him to go out and fight Eric Godard? Hell no--he'd be nuts. Sean is a lot smaller and comparitively speaking skill wise Godard is a plug. That would do nothing for him and would do nothing for his team. So there's no point. It doesn't help us win games. So what about David Clarkson?--who is a decent player and only somewhat bigger. I don't worry about David Clarkson--you can see the frustration written all over his face--Sean pisses him off and he loses his head. Is Sean afraid though? I really don't think so. He fights enough. He's stepped up in weight class now and again--against Carcillo last year for an example.

Next irrationality about Avery is he's a dirty player. Not speaking for him as a Red Wing or a King or what he did back then--but as a Ranger yeah he pisses people off but he doesn't injure people. He plays hard and he knows what he's doing but he doesn't cross that line say like an Ott, or a Kaleta or Matt Cooke looking for the head shot or take someone out at the knees. He whacks people, trades slashes, hits very hard for his size but his mouth more than anything seems to drive his opponents crazy. Hey--whatever.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:15 PM
ruckus*

[QUOTE=DMAC;28033906]I never compared Avery to Cooke, Ruutu or Carcillo?? I agree these guys have huge issues. I am not sure why anyone is implying that I accept the behavior of these guys??

My post was about my dislike of Avery. I did not comment on his play ... I commented on his behavior (Go back and re-read my post) My post was about how he does not answer the bell when another player calls him out for his actions.[/QUOTE]

This is so dumb.

Since when is Avery Derek Boogaard or Colton Orr?

Avery fights when he sees fit. Do you remember who the player was to chase down Carcillo his next shift after pounding Gaborik?

I can't remember a season where Avery didn't get into a fight.

What the hell does he owe to David Clarkson or ANYONE who wants to go with him?

Because Clarkson cries so much over what Avery says/how he plays/what he does now Avery owes it to him to fight him whenever Clarkson or anyone wants?

Give me a break.

Avery is an agitator, an instigator, and a pest. And he does it beautifully.

The fact that people think he should fight guys who everyone knows will kick his ass out of some "respect for the game" is a joke.

I'm sure Sean loses sleep EVERY NIGHT thinking about how you and some players in the league don't respect him.

LOL.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:29 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Skill wise--Sean is a good player. The agitation makes him a more effective player. I've been following the game since the early 70's. The main thing I give a crap about is winning. Sure there are players out there who I'd rather not have on my team--Billy Tibbetts springs to mind. I wasn't all that sure getting Sean was a good idea originally but he quickly became a favorite of mine.

He plays tough and hard. Do I expect him to go out and fight Eric Godard? Hell no--he'd be nuts. Sean is a lot smaller and comparitively speaking skill wise Godard is a plug. That would do nothing for him and would do nothing for his team. So there's no point. It doesn't help us win games. So what about David Clarkson?--who is a decent player and only somewhat bigger. I don't worry about David Clarkson--you can see the frustration written all over his face--Sean pisses him off and he loses his head. Is Sean afraid though? I really don't think so. He fights enough. He's stepped up in weight class now and again--against Carcillo last year for an example.

Next irrationality about Avery is he's a dirty player. Not speaking for him as a Red Wing or a King or what he did back then--but as a Ranger yeah he pisses people off but he doesn't injure people. He plays hard and he knows what he's doing but he doesn't cross that line say like an Ott, or a Kaleta or Matt Cooke looking for the head shot or take someone out at the knees. He whacks people, trades slashes, hits very hard for his size but his mouth more than anything seems to drive his opponents crazy. Hey--whatever.
Exactly. 100% agree.

That's what's frustrating about debating Avery. When people don't like him there's almost no way to have a legitimate discussion.

This guy hasn't made a single point. All he's saying is "I don't like Avery."

I couldn't stand listening to Chico on Saturday during the broadcast. Not that I can ever stand listening to him. But my gosh. He is so clueless.

What happened during that entire incident that made Chico or anyone else think that Avery owed it to Clarkson to fight him?

Avery didn't even do anything to start all that.

Clarkson has such issues with Avery. He absolutely can't stand him. If anyone's got the problem it's Clarkson.

And then Chico wants to complain about him going after Kovalchuk? I think that was pretty mutual. And again, that's EXACTLY what Avery wants to do. And he executes it perfectly.

If that is officiated correctly, the Rangers are on a power play.

Old
09-30-2010, 03:33 PM
haveandare

Quote:
I never compared Avery to Cooke, Ruutu or Carcillo?? I agree these guys have huge issues. I am not sure why anyone is implying that I accept the behavior of these guys??

My post was about my dislike of Avery. I did not comment on his play ... I commented on his behavior (Go back and re-read my post) My post was about how he does not answer the bell when another player calls him out for his actions.
Oh boy.

For starters, "I did not comment on his play"... let's see here.

Quote:

The bolded would indicate otherwise. You're not commenting on his play but "The guy is an absolute joke as a hockey player" an "If you think this is a hockey player then you do not know the game."

Why don't YOU go back and re-read your post?

Regarding your point more generally about him not answering the bell, I think that Sean himself provided the best retort to your argument the other night when he said, and I'm paraphrasing here, " If I fought everyone who wanted to fight me I'd never see any ice time. "

Where is this code of honor that you refer to? From what I've seen watching hockey the past few years nobody but older, idealistic fans who wish it was still the 80s have any idea what you're referring to. You play to help your team win. That is, and should be, every single player's first concern every second of every shift. From all observations, thats Avery's goal and so far, as a Ranger, he's accomplished it quite well.

Lastly, I just spent about 30 seconds searching youtube and found Avery "answering the bell" many times. Here are some examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39b15vV0epk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPknP...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZwi169da0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgcMqPm0bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYxHz...eature=channel

We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Is this Chico?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Melrose_Jr.

This thread isn't going in a good direction, so I'm asking everyone now to relax with the passive aggressive trolling and personal attacks.

I am loving the irony of the last page though.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
What do you expect from other fans?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:48 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Oh boy.

For starters, "I did not comment on his play"... let's see here.

The bolded would indicate otherwise. You're not commenting on his play but "The guy is an absolute joke as a hockey player" an "If you think this is a hockey player then you do not know the game."

Why don't YOU go back and re-read your post?

Regarding your point more generally about him not answering the bell, I think that Sean himself provided the best retort to your argument the other night when he said, and I'm paraphrasing here, " If I fought everyone who wanted to fight me I'd never see any ice time. "

Where is this code of honor that you refer to? From what I've seen watching hockey the past few years nobody but older, idealistic fans who wish it was still the 80s have any idea what you're referring to. You play to help your team win. That is, and should be, every single player's first concern every second of every shift. From all observations, thats Avery's goal and so far, as a Ranger, he's accomplished it quite well.

Lastly, I just spent about 30 seconds searching youtube and found Avery "answering the bell" many times. Here are some examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39b15vV0epk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPknP...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZwi169da0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgcMqPm0bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYxHz...eature=channel

We have some lovely parting gifts for you.
While I agree with almost all your post--still I go back to the early 70's when I started watching the Rangers and I wouldn't put it on any era including the 80's for devopment of some kind of code of chivalry. There's never been one. Ever. Messier might have want to rein in a few of his more exuberant teammates (like Domi) from time to time but that was all on Messier--more than anyone else.

Avery is kind of like a reincarnation of the Bruins Derek Sanderson from the 60's and 70's. Sanderson played for us briefly as well. He was a good player and very obnoxious. But these types have always been there and they've played major roles on championship teams before. Bobby Clarke might have been a superstar HOF version of Avery if you want--though Clarke was much dirtier and injured numerous players during his career and was a lot less likely to back it up by throwing down his gloves than Avery.