HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

THN.com Blog: The upside to Rangers GM Glen Sather

Old
09-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
THN.com Blog: The upside to Rangers GM Glen Sather

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...n-Sather.html?

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
You don’t become a Hall of Famer for nothing and you don’t draft the likes of Kevin Lowe, Mark Messier, Glenn Anderson, Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri, Grant Fuhr, Esa Tikkanen, Martin Rucinsky, Kirk Maltby, Miro Satan, Jason Arnott, Ryan Smyth, Henrik Lundqvist, Marc Staal and others by being a complete dolt.
I'm inclined to agree.

So what happens to that sharp hockey mind when he makes terrible signings?

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
I'm inclined to agree.

So what happens to that sharp hockey mind when he makes terrible signings?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005632.html

Check out 1984-2000.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That 1990 draft was good. Sather has lived pretty well off two great draft classes from 30 years ago and an owner that bought the greatest hockey player from another organization.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
That 1990 draft was good. Sather has lived pretty well off two great draft classes from 30 years ago and an owner that bought the greatest hockey player from another organization.
In EVERY draft they got at least one player who played in at least 150 NHL games, except for 1990 and 1986. In many cases, they had multiple players out of that same draft. A number of guys who played 500+ NHL games.

Don't be ridiculous, that's a very strong draft record.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
This summer Sather traded over-the-hill goon Donald Brashear to Atlanta for serviceable center Todd White, then got Blueshirts executive chairman James Dolan to let him bury Wade Redden’s $6.5 million in the minors. How does Sather do it? How does he get other GMs to trade for his waste and how is he allowed to spend money as he does? Is Dolan a dupe? Are other GMs around the league dumb? I don’t think so.
Yes, Dolan IS a dope.

Quote:
Sather makes his own bed when it comes to bad contracts and he may be past his best-before date as a GM, but he still pulls a rabbit out of his hat about once every summer; just enough to make this writer, at least, raise an eyebrow and say “How’d he manage to do that!?”
Yeah but that doesn't make his horrible UFA signings excusable.

Quote:
So even though he has to deal with Drury and Michal Rozsival’s contracts, maybe it’s time to give Ole Slats a break. Sure he’s not the best GM in the league anymore, but is he the worst? Don’t think so.
No its not time to give him a break. He might be the worst GM in the league with UFA signings. I'm not giving Sather a break until the Drury and Redden contracts are completely gone AND we see what he does with the new cap space AND the team does something significantly more than finish 6-8.

I don't understand how this writer can defend Sather. He obviously is not a Rangers fan because he doesn't understand the frustration Sather has put everyone through.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
How do you not get 1 NHL game out of an entire draft year?

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
In EVERY draft they got at least one player who played in at least 150 NHL games, except for 1990 and 1986. In many cases, they had multiple players out of that same draft. A number of guys who played 500+ NHL games.

You mean those 500+ guys like Laraque, Poti, Chimera, Devereaux and Horcoff? Those are household names that you can build a team around.

What about his top ten picks of Kelly (#6), Devereaux (#6) and Bonsignore (#4). Who's being ridiculous here. Heck the Rangers at least drafted Weight and Zubov in class of 1990 compared to Sather's goose egg.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

This guy could have made a much stronger argument had he mentioned our recent string of playoff appearances post-lockout, the Jagr trade, and the recent great drafting.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:23 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
You mean those 500+ guys like Laraque, Poti, Chimera, Devereaux and Horcoff? Those are household names that you can build a team around.

What about his top ten picks of Kelly (#6), Devereaux (#6) and Bonsignore (#4). Who's being ridiculous here. Heck the Rangers at least drafted Weight and Zubov in class of 1990 compared to Sather's goose egg.
Better than nothing. You're not going to draft impact players every time out. To draft a guy and have him play 100's of games for your franchise is a great result.

I can't believe you think other wise. And there are weak drafts, and straight up bust picks. Scott Scissons, Daniel Tkaczuk, Daigle, etc. etc. It happens.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Better than nothing. You're not going to draft impact players every time out. To draft a guy and have him play 100's of games for your franchise is a great result.

I can't believe you think other wise. And there are weak drafts, and straight up bust picks. Scott Scissons, Daniel Tkaczuk, Daigle, etc. etc. It happens.
I agree, there are weak drafts and bust picks, I am a Ranger fan after all. However, you said he has a strong draft record. Does that mean that Neil Smith had a strong draft record because of +500 game players like Malhotra, Nemchinov, York, Marchant, Zamuner, Cummins and Miller?

My main point that I touched on originally is he benefitted from an outstanding haul in about a three to four year time period that netted Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri and Fuhr. After that, his draft record is mediocre at best.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Group III free agency is crazy. Most of the contracts signed end up being bad deals. Too much money. Too much term. Just look at Redden,Nylander and Souray. Redden and Nylander are already in the AHL. Souray is on waivers again with his future up in the air.

Everyone points to Lou as being the smartest man in the sport and he has had free agent disaster after another. Ken Campbell of THN wrote Lou has done the poorest/worst job with cap management with the current CBA. 35 plus contracts. Getting caught circumventing the CBA.

NHL will push for non-guaranteed contracts in next CBA

Quote:
Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs told me yesterday he's "love to" to see NFL-like salary cap in the NHL w/less guaranteed $$ in contracts.
https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/status/25986376577

Quote:
Jacobs believes w/less guaranteed $$ in contracts and escrow will be major sticking points in next CBA negotiations.
https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/status/25987972659

Quote:
Many not surprised by my news on Jacobs wanting to get rid of guaranteed money. I guess they're not grasping that owners r hell bent on this
https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/status/25990693658

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Group III free agency is crazy. Most of the contracts signed end up being bad deals. Too much money. Too much term. Just look at Redden,Nylander and Souray. Redden and Nylander are already in the AHL. Souray is on waivers again with his future up in the air.

Everyone points to Lou as being the smartest man in the sport and he has had free agent disaster after another. Ken Campbell of THN wrote Lou has done the poorest/worst job with cap management with the current CBA. 35 plus contracts. Getting caught circumventing the CBA.

https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/status/25986376577

https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/status/25987972659

https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/status/25990693658
We've already seen it considerably with the market correction on 2nd contracts. Look at the contracts of a few years ago signed by guys like Olesz in FLA. Heck, Eric Johnson signed for $2.6 million.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:40 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Give me other GM's for comparison. Let's be real; Theres is nothing extraordinary or outstanding with Sathers drafting record considering his long tenure.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:49 PM
McRanger

Sather has nothing to do with drafting. He hasn't probably since the Carter administration. If he is terrible at something it is hiring his cronies and/or being unable to recognize a change need to be made. Couple that with his pompous arrogance and you have a dangerous combination.

It doesn't help that when Edmonton when through their mid 90's "rebuild" they hit the worst draft span in history to have top picks. '94-'96 was simply brutal.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:52 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

NHL regulars (300 games or more) that the Oilers drafted from 1984 until he left the tea.

1984 - Todd Ewen
1985 - Kelly Buchberger
1986 - No one
1987 - Brad Werenka, Geoff Smith, Shaun Van Allen
1988 - Shjon Podein
1989 - Josef Beranek, Anatoli Semenov
1990 - No one
1991 - Tyler Wright, Martin Rucinsky
1992 - Kirk Maltby

So in this nine year span, the best player he drafted was Martin Rucinsky. Over the course of nine years, the best player he drafted was a second line winger.

1993 - Jason Arnott, David Vyborny, Miro Satan. Strong draft.
1994 - Ryan Smyth
1995 - Georges Laraque
1996 - Boyd Devereaux, Tom Poti, Fernando Pisani
1997 - Shawn Horcoff
1998 - Jason Chimera
1999 - Mike Comrie

This isn't even taking into account some of those top 10 picks that he botched like Bonsignore or Steve Kelly.

Basically, in 16 consecutive drafts, he developed one or two first line players (Arnott, Smyth). That is awful, IMO.

Quote:

If a guy is a fourth liner and plays 300 games for your team, is that really so great? If he was a low round pick, sure. But you have to maximize your assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
This guy could have made a much stronger argument had he mentioned our recent string of playoff appearances post-lockout, the Jagr trade, and the recent great drafting.
He deserves no credit for the Jagr trade considering the Rangers were the ONLY team capable of making the deal, not to mention a team Jagr wanted to play for. You could also write an entire essay on how the Jagr trade (and the string of pointless playoff appearances that are a direct result of it) are responsible for what will be another era where the Rangers won't be a Cup Contender.

Great drafting usually results in great players, right? I see a lot of good players. I don't see (many) great ones.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:59 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
How do you not get 1 NHL game out of an entire draft year?
That might be the most impressive thing hes done.

Seriously, not getting a single game at the NHL level out of an entire draft class is damn near impossible to do!

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:17 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
I actually felt quite depressed after reading that

The sooner he goes the better

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:22 PM
MSG the place to be*

Until Sather starts to act like a normal GM and be a conduit to the fans like Neil Smith used to do, I will go under the premise that he just sits back and smokes his cigar. Then every year before free agency he is awoken and makes impulse purchases.

In contrast, Brian Burke (yes the media pressure is much greater in Toronto) is basically broadcasting to the fans 24/7. You know he's on top of his **** (even though I hate the job hes done) because he exhibits it on a daily basis. With Sather the occasional quote leaked to the media like "the most deserving players, regardless of contract will play" does not prove to me that he is on top of stuff.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
wow, NHL players were falling out of trees that draft year. How did you strike out so bad?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Until Sather starts to act like a normal GM and be a conduit to the fans like Neil Smith used to do, I will go under the premise that he just sits back and smokes his cigar. Then every year before free agency he is awoken and makes impulse purchases.

In contrast, Brian Burke (yes the media pressure is much greater in Toronto) is basically broadcasting to the fans 24/7. You know he's on top of his **** (even though I hate the job hes done) because he exhibits it on a daily basis. With Sather the occasional quote leaked to the media like "the most deserving players, regardless of contract will play" does not prove to me that he is on top of stuff.
I miss Wheel and Deal Neal. He always kept the fans in the loop. I also miss JD's aweseome trade rumors during broadcasts when his phone would ring and Sam would have to take over while he got the scoop.

But really I don't think it takes a lot to realize Sather has been a big flop in a decade here. He talked the talk but fell short when it was time to put his money where his mouth was. Fact is Smith won a cup here and got to the ECF where Slats hasn't even come close in ten years.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
wow, NHL players were falling out of trees that draft year. How did you strike out so bad?
Not sure where you're going with the comment but Tkachuk and Brodeur say hi.

Old
09-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Slick Rick 61

Quote:
Not sure where you're going with the comment but Tkachuk and Brodeur say hi.
I would think he's being sarcastic and actually bashing Sather, because there are plenty of players in this draft who had very good NHL careers. Also many, while not impact players, had very respectable careers.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Could you explain to me exactly what that means to the NHL? I don't watch any other sport but hockey so I'm not exactly knowledged on the whole non-guaranteed contracts idea.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:23 PM
stcatcs12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
I actually felt quite depressed after reading that

The sooner he goes the better
Indeed, to me the whole point of the article is to say "well he sure is bad, but there probably are worse!"

stcatcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote