Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHockey12 View Post
If kulda is better than Pitkanen or McBain, you can have my house
hate to put your parents out on the street but ok

Old
09-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Shameus

vCash: 500
That is enough. The Canes poster will not be back in this thread. I expect the thread to get back on topic.

Old
09-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

back on topic. roenick needs to chill. not like we can't move him back to forward if he plays poorly or isn't helping the team very much.

Old
09-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Shameus

As someone already pointed out, yes there are a lot of fans not happy with the position change. I think the way JR has gone about "discussing his view" is a little low brow.

The move is not set in stone. If it backfires the organization has plenty of defenseman who can step into the lineup and take his place should he be moved back to forward.

I think the thing that upsets most fans is this:

Kane-Antro-Bergie
Ladd-Pevs-Buff
Modin-Little-Pettersson

or

Kane-Antro-Bergie
Ladd-Pevs-Dawes
Modin-Little-Pettersson

One of those Top 9s looks a heck of a lot more imposing/impressive than the other one.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Aaronxxx

you know what's funny? the move isn't backfiring. buff has played well both games. the only comment i've heard that could be seen as negative is ramsay saying our d gets into the play "almost to a fault" after the carolina game. i really don't understand why everyone is still crying about the position change.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:44 PM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronxxx View Post
you know what's funny? the move isn't backfiring. buff has played well both games. the only comment i've heard that could be seen as negative is ramsay saying our d gets into the play "almost to a fault" after the carolina game. i really don't understand why everyone is still crying about the position change.
Because the organization didn't give up Morin, a 1st, and a 2nd to acquire a second-pairing defenseman and some parts. It just didn't. I firmly believe Dudley started trying to sell the fanbase on the idea of Buff playing D cos Buff wasn't happy, at all, with coming to this hockey outpost.

It's becoming clear that there are some serious issues with scoring goals. Buff, for better or worse, was being counted on by a lot of fans for about 20 goals (and my guess is mgmt thought so, too). On D, he may be lucky to get 10. You've neutered your offense a great deal by putting him back at D.

Now, sadly, I'm really starting to believe that race had more to do with acquiring Byfuglien (and Aliu) than originally thought. I find that disconcerting.

Old
09-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
This was me the day after he complained he couldn't produce in LA because the equipment manager couldn't get his skate blade right.

Roenick is a ******. I met him in person and it was confirmed.
I must object

Roenick is a good guy and should have never been traded by the Hawks

He was heart and soul of our franchise ,,, The Hawks downward spiral started the moment Wirtz traded him

Now as for the topic

I agree with JR that this is a poor move on the Thrashers part

Now with that said he went pretty low blow with his comments and that wasn't fair to Thrashers fan

Old
09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post

Now, sadly, I'm really starting to believe that race had more to do with acquiring Byfuglien (and Aliu) than originally thought. I find that disconcerting.
No the reason Dudley acquired Aliu is because he was his obsession with Hawks

The only reason Hawks drafted him was because Dudley vouched for him and talked Tallon into it

It turned out to be a disaster of a pick for us

Old
09-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Like many have said, the good thing is he could be moved to offence if it doesn't work out.

Don't really care what Roenick says.

Old
09-29-2010, 07:11 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Wow...from start to finish, this thread is a disaster.

IMO, he's right. This team lacks scoring and, I thought at the time, we gave up a boatload of assets to help (not solve, though) with this problem. Moving him back to D makes this team worse. Now that we're more than half way through camp, both Kulda and Zuberev would make great bottom pairing D if not top-4. I know it's only the preseason, but we've only put up 3 goals in 3 games. We need Buff's big ass in front of the net.

That all said, even though the Thrash don't deserve a lot of respect in the NHL right now, he went over the top and he's a D-bag

Old
09-29-2010, 08:24 AM
StackThePads

Roenick makes some valid points but his delivery is <poop>. Maybe if he wasn't a crotchety bitter man and was not being paid to be a "shock jock" for TV to stir up <poop> on a daily basis, I'd take him more seriously.

As for the whole Buf on D thing, he has played pretty well there atm but I do somewhat agree that it seems a misuse of the assets in that trade considering our current scoring prowess.

Yes, I know Antro has yet to be on the ice, but his presence alone is not going to magically make the rest of them put it in the net.

Old
09-29-2010, 08:55 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Another thing to consider....Last year's team...

Kovy-Antropov-Afinogenov
Kozlov-White-Little
Kane-Peverley-Armstrong
Boulton-Reasoner-Thorburn

I see 6 of our top 12 that are no longer on this team....Including 2/3rds of our top 2 lines. It's just going to take some time to gel.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
The best of JR's quotes is this:

"I would turn him inside out, left, right and center every single time."

JR hasn't been able to turn anyone inside out, left, right, or otherwise in years. Has he watched footage of his last few seasons in the league?
Maybe that is what he is trying to get at.

Really though, put Big Buff in front of the opposing teams net. He was too powerful in the playoffs not to be a forward.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:08 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
Because the organization didn't give up Morin, a 1st, and a 2nd to acquire a second-pairing defenseman and some parts. It just didn't.
I agree with this as well. If the team's biggest off-season acquisition at F is playing D, there's something wrong.

Old
09-29-2010, 03:07 PM
StevenintheATL

Well this is one way to get folks to listen to J.R.'s show on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio.....

While he does bring up some valid points, the insults and outright silliness included in the rant derail the entire statement.

They aired this comment on Hockey This Morning and the hosts agreed somewhat with some of what he said, but also noted that the comments directed at ownership and management were off-base.

This is definitely bulletin board fodder.

Byfuglien was on NHL Live this afternoon, but the Roenick comments were not brought up in the interview, nor do I recall them being mentioned on the show at all (The same goes with the show that airs on NHL Home Ice prior to NHL Live, the War Room.). It appears that this is something that not too many folks want to discussion.

Old
09-29-2010, 11:19 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
Maybe that is what he is trying to get at.

Really though, put Big Buff in front of the opposing teams net. He was too powerful in the playoffs not to be a forward.
It's always a bad plan to base expectations on a single playoffs. Hell Fernando Pisani scored 14 goals in '06. Its much safer to focus on a player's track record than a specific instance. Buff is a bigger version of Colby Armstrong on the ice, nothing more. People are making it sound like Ramsey put Cam Neely on D or something.

Old
09-30-2010, 06:57 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
It's always a bad plan to base expectations on a single playoffs. Hell Fernando Pisani scored 14 goals in '06. Its much safer to focus on a player's track record than a specific instance. Buff is a bigger version of Colby Armstrong on the ice, nothing more. People are making it sound like Ramsey put Cam Neely on D or something.
I think, in part, it's because people are realizing that we gave up a potential top-6 scorer along with high draft picks to get him.

Old
09-30-2010, 10:20 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
While he does bring up some valid points, the insults and outright silliness included in the rant derail the entire statement.
He only really brought up one point, and that is regarding Byfuglien on defense. Everything else is garbage.

Old
09-30-2010, 10:34 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Sure JR, let's talk smack about the 275 pound defenseman who has already injured 2 players in 2 games.

Last I remember this clown was crying because a team he played for a decad ago won the Cup.
who says he cant talk smack? you? or the fact that Byfuglien is 275 pounds and injured a wimpy Sergei Samsanov? and is injuring people his goal as a defenseman? if so, id be slashing his face and spearing his guts out as soon as he came near me.

its no surprise also that Quennville didnt allow Byfuglien on the ice for about 90% of the defensive zone faceoffs with his line in the playoffs. shows a massive lack of trust his his defensive game.

so yeah, he might sit in front of the net like the Shaq of the NHL (while the other forwards are doing the puck possession work) and injure some dudes who are over 100 pounds lighter than him, but can he be trusted on the ice? obviously not based on Quennville's system. which is even funnier that hes now being moved to play defense, again, after not being trusted at all as a forward defensively. so what is this dudes identity?

it'll also be interesting to see just how effective he is in this matrix of players and system. no more Kane and Toews, no more Keith and Seabrook.

Old
09-30-2010, 10:56 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Let's not be so quick to forget though, that Kane, Toews, Keith and Seabrook no longer have Byfuglien, Ladd, Eager, Sopel and Versteeg. Even though they may be role players, those role players are important to the team.

Old
09-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Buf is a terrible defenseman. Terrible. It says something when Sopel, Boynton, and Hendry beat him out defensively for roster spots. We moved him to forward because he wasn't good enough to play defense in the NHL, and we needed his size. Moving him to defense pretty much just erases him from Atlanta's roster. He will be no better than a #4, and a #4 that is a defensive liability. He was no better than a sixth defenseman on Chicago... Like JR's delivery method or not, he's right. Buf should be playing forward, ESPECIALLY when you look at Atlanta's forward depth right now. He is easily a top six winger on that roster. They think Buf can score 15 goals on defense? That's being extremely generous. So, say he DOES score 15 goals on defense(extremely unlikely). You're STILL losing goals by moving him back to defense, as Buf should put up 25 goals with top six minutes and regular PP time at forward, pretty easily. That is, assuming Atlanta can keep him motivated all season.(he likes to go on vacation for long stretches at a time)

Old
09-30-2010, 02:29 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

This thread went well.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:45 PM
TOAONCBA

Byfuglien from what I have seen as a d-man doesn't bother me too much. What does bother me is that is not at all what we needed or what we paid for in assets to get. We have plenty of 4-6 d-men. We did not need to give up all those assets for another. We paid that much for a top 6 power forward with the potential that he could grow into one of the better ones in the game. I really hope this shift to defensemen doesn't last too long.

Old
09-30-2010, 04:03 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I think we should let the season start before we pass teh judgements

Old
09-30-2010, 04:45 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
This thread went well.
At least we've seen that some posters don't need a pre-season, they are already in full regular season "Thrashers suck, and my opinion can't possibly be wrong" mode.

Bodes well for an interesting season around these parts.

Closed Thread