HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers waive Souray and Gerber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2010, 01:40 PM
  #101
Traktor*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You would be hard pressed to find ten of them that have any confidence in JDD at all.
I would be hard pressed to find 10 Penner supporters last year as well.

With all due respect, as little confidence as you have in JDD, I have less confidence in the collective opinions of Oiler fans.

Hell, the majority of fans liked the Horcoff deal as well.

Pretty much all you need to know.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:42 PM
  #102
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor
 
subnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PacNW
Country: Canada
Posts: 741
vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Nylander certainly 100% for sure did not sign here due to the teams rep. He was signed sealed and delivered until his wife freaked out.
Beerfish, this makes no sense. Nylander DID sign with us, meaning he wanted to play here despite whatever issues we have/had. It was his wife that didn't want to move to Edmonton. You really think his wife said 'no dear, I don't want you playing for that ***** Edmonton franchise'? Like she cares which organization her hubby plays for. She didn't want to be in Edmonton the city and prefered living in a large American city. My take on the situation anyways...

subnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:15 PM
  #103
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,017
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
His arguments for being 'mistreated' could be 100% valid, the oilers organization until just recently has been a clown show.. This is just the same as the Comrie, Smyth, Pronger, Nylander, Heatley, etc etc etc etc. The fan base and management gets in such a tizzy over what they perceive as snubs that they get totally out of whack when it comes to being shrewd hockey people who in the end make moves based on what is best for the team as a whole rather than. "What will make me feel best right now."
If they were he would've went to the union and had a grievance filed against the team. This team only owes Souray the money on his contract, after him pubicly bashing the team he deserves nothing.

Edit: My point was what is happening to Souray isn't because of him falling out of favour with the team, it's because he felt the need to bash the team and then act like nothing happened. This is no nail in the coffin for the Oilers as they already did this to him earlier in the year and it doesn't seem to have hurt the team. The buzz around this team is the young talent on this team not Souray feeling mistreated by the Oilers.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
  #104
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,364
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If they were he would've went to the union and had a grievance filed against the team. This team only owes Souray the money on his contract, after him pubicly bashing the team he deserves nothing.

Edit: My point was what is happening to Souray isn't because of him falling out of favour with the team, it's because he felt the need to bash the team and then act like nothing happened. This is no nail in the coffin for the Oilers as they already did this to him earlier in the year and it doesn't seem to have hurt the team. The buzz around this team is the young talent on this team not Souray feeling mistreated by the Oilers.
Makes Sense, Souray doesn't want to be here, in earnest, so Tambellini said fine, get out. Makes sense to me.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:22 PM
  #105
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Time to give Souray the "Nylander Treatment", since 2009 the Caps have waived him every 30 days.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:24 PM
  #106
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0adApples View Post
I don't fully understand how re-entry waivers work. If he is placed on re-entry waivers and no one claims him at half price for his salary, where does he play? Does re-entry waivers mean he is "recalled" back to the big club?
When you want to recall someone to the NHL from the AHL who is not waiver exempt you need to subject the player to re-entry waivers first. But they do not actually need to recall the player. Just like when you put someone through regular waivers you don't need to assign that player to the minors.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:31 PM
  #107
Spiff The Spaceman
Registered User
 
Spiff The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If they were he would've went to the union and had a grievance filed against the team. This team only owes Souray the money on his contract, after him pubicly bashing the team he deserves nothing.

Edit: My point was what is happening to Souray isn't because of him falling out of favour with the team, it's because he felt the need to bash the team and then act like nothing happened. This is no nail in the coffin for the Oilers as they already did this to him earlier in the year and it doesn't seem to have hurt the team. The buzz around this team is the young talent on this team not Souray feeling mistreated by the Oilers.
He never bashed the team - he said the problem was with management. Being forced to play while injured by the same guy that was bashed in threads over and over on these boards....

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:32 PM
  #108
ERC91
Registered User
 
ERC91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Germany
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
I would place him on re-entry waivers.

IMO the chance that he resurects his value down there is pretty low.
Besides I rather see the possibility that he still creates some negative atmosphere down there.

Furthermore IMO 9 millions instead of 4.5 millions over two years are quite a huge amount of money to spend just to teach a player a lesson, even if you have a billionaire owner.
I mean just because you have money, it doesn't need to be wasted.

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:35 PM
  #109
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
He never bashed the team - he said the problem was with management. Being forced to play while injured by the same guy that was bashed in threads over and over on these boards....
Does he have any proof? He played 81 games for the Habs the season before we signed him. So when was he forced to play injured, exactly?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:42 PM
  #110
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,017
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
He never bashed the team - he said the problem was with management. Being forced to play while injured by the same guy that was bashed in threads over and over on these boards....
I don't even know what that means.

Management is apart of the team is it not?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:47 PM
  #111
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I agree, if they stick him on reentry and he gets claimed the oilers save cash and cap space, another team gets the player and Souray gets to play. My beef was with the statements that we should smile, pay him his salary, stick it to him and let him sit. A classic example of short term gain/fun or long term pain. Much like the other examples of the oilers flying off the handle to our general detriment.
Sadly i would have to agree as well. I seriously think it's the only way both parties can mostly get what they want out of this stinky situation and move on.

Imagine however if you will ( queue Twillight Zone music ) Souray kept his mouth shut, bided his time, saw the changes happening and was happy(er) - ended up captain of a young rejuvinated team that showed amazing promise. Sigh...what could have been. Ego's can really have a way of biting people in the ass.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:54 PM
  #112
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,029
vCash: 500
They wont send him to Oklahoma, if they can lend him to someone elses AHL team they might do that or else they'll pay him not to play. Most likely it's reentry waivers and all the trade rumours the last couple weeks have been hype.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
  #113
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,414
vCash: 1531
Gerber will be get picked up by either the Wild or flyers or maybe the NYI if the reports are correct today about them carrying 3 goalies

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
  #114
DareDoiler
Registered User
 
DareDoiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
I would be hard pressed to find 10 Penner supporters last year as well.

With all due respect, as little confidence as you have in JDD, I have less confidence in the collective opinions of Oiler fans.

Hell, the majority of fans liked the Horcoff deal as well.

Pretty much all you need to know.
Haha, i liked that post...+1

DareDoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
  #115
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by subnet View Post
Beerfish, this makes no sense. Nylander DID sign with us, meaning he wanted to play here despite whatever issues we have/had. It was his wife that didn't want to move to Edmonton. You really think his wife said 'no dear, I don't want you playing for that ***** Edmonton franchise'? Like she cares which organization her hubby plays for. She didn't want to be in Edmonton the city and prefered living in a large American city. My take on the situation anyways...
Nylander NEVER signed with us.

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying and it makes perfect sense. After the trashing the oilers and their fans did on Mrs Pronger and the trashing that the oilers and their fans have done on other players word gets around over time.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:12 PM
  #116
OILNATION*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
He never bashed the team - he said the problem was with management. Being forced to play while injured by the same guy that was bashed in threads over and over on these boards....
He's a professional, I'm pretty sure he could just say no I'm not playing??? Instead of actually going and playing injured in the first place and then asking for a trade? No? It seems a little fishy to me, if he was so against them making him play and would resort to calling out the team in a public manner, why didn't he just not play in the first place?? In the end it was his decision and he made it.

OILNATION* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:12 PM
  #117
Spiff The Spaceman
Registered User
 
Spiff The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't even know what that means.

Management is apart of the team is it not?
"Souray blamed Oilers management for his desire to leave town: "It’s not a players thing. It’s not a fans thing or a city thing. It’s a management thing. They’ve given up on me, and it’s a two-way street."

Depends on what you call team - Is the GM on the ice when you go watch your team play?

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:15 PM
  #118
OILNATION*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
"Souray blamed Oilers management for his desire to leave town: "Itís not a players thing. Itís not a fans thing or a city thing. Itís a management thing. Theyíve given up on me, and itís a two-way street."
Well if it really is a two way street I hope he enjoys Oklahoma.

OILNATION* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:19 PM
  #119
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,017
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
"Souray blamed Oilers management for his desire to leave town: "Itís not a players thing. Itís not a fans thing or a city thing. Itís a management thing. Theyíve given up on me, and itís a two-way street."

Depends on what you call team - Is the GM on the ice when you go watch your team play?
Yes and management doesn't want him spoiling anyone else so that is why he is where he is. If he would've kept quiet and not went public with his demands Souray would be playing with the Oilers right now. Instead he went and made himself look like a crybaby and management said fine you don't want to play here get out.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:34 PM
  #120
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
"Souray blamed Oilers management for his desire to leave town: "It’s not a players thing. It’s not a fans thing or a city thing. It’s a management thing. They’ve given up on me, and it’s a two-way street."

Depends on what you call team - Is the GM on the ice when you go watch your team play?
Well he ruined whatever trade value he might have had with his outburst. That has a trickle down effect. His fellow players do not get back a quality player to help them on the ice. So he did hurt the team. Not mention he made it a big public mess and every player from Horcoff and Gilbert down to Hall being asked about it. They have put up with this mess too. Had Souray kept his mouth shut publicly he might have been traded by now. His teammates would be better off and he would have been better off. The minute he gave those quotes it was a matter of time for the trickle down effect to begin effecting the whole organization really. From management down to the players and fans.

All of that above is not even taking into consideration all the talk of Souray being a negative influence in the locker room.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
  #121
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,185
vCash: 500
I think the Oilers have proven a point to Souray by making him sweat all summer and basically missing the entire preseason/training camp and staring down the embarrassment of being waived already and not being picked by anyone.

On top of that, he's likely to be picked by a team off re-entry waivers that is even further away from California (like Columbus or NYI or Minnesota).

I think the Oilers will send him to OKC and hope he doesn't report, because that would be the best scenario for the club (he voids his contract), but if he does report to OKC (again another embarrassment to Souray), they'll probably put him on re-entry waivers then.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
  #122
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think the Oilers have proven a point to Souray by making him sweat all summer and basically missing the entire preseason/training camp and staring down the embarrassment of being waived already and not being picked by anyone.

On top of that, he's likely to be picked by a team off re-entry waivers that is even further away from California (like Columbus or NYI or Minnesota).

I think the Oilers will send him to OKC and hope he doesn't report, because that would be the best scenario for the club (he voids his contract), but if he does report to OKC (again another embarrassment to Souray), they'll probably put him on re-entry waivers then.
I'm not so sure.... they might do with him in OKC like they are doing now. If he reports tell him they don't want him around the team.

We might have seen the last of Souray in the NHL for the next 2 years.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:18 PM
  #123
Scottrocks58*
Six
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 500
Phoenix fan here, I don't know much about Souray except that he wore out his welcome up by you and then some. As a player, just how much of a defensive liablilty is he really? I know this slap shot is huge, but Phoenix runs a structured defensive system.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
  #124
Spiff The Spaceman
Registered User
 
Spiff The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Yes and management doesn't want him spoiling anyone else so that is why he is where he is. If he would've kept quiet and not went public with his demands Souray would be playing with the Oilers right now. Instead he went and made himself look like a crybaby and management said fine you don't want to play here get out.
He did keep quiet for a long time and was ignored...

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:27 PM
  #125
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,017
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Phoenix fan here, I don't know much about Souray except that he wore out his welcome up by you and then some. As a player, just how much of a defensive liablilty is he really? I know this slap shot is huge, but Phoenix runs a structured defensive system.
Depends where the play starts and ends. If the play goes from the offensive zone back to the defensive zone he is screwed as he can't skate. If it starts and stays in his own zone he isn't too bad until the play goes into the corners. Really soon as he moves out of position and then has to go back he becomes a liability.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.