HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

what do you wear when just doing some stickhandling/skating?

Old
09-30-2010, 05:14 PM
dpixel8

vCash: 500
what do you wear when just doing some stickhandling/skating?

Going to have a lot of free ice time coming up here soon, probably at least about 8 hours a week. Planning to wear a helmet, no shield, gloves.....just curious if there are any SIMPLE shorts that have pads. Not feeling like suiting all up to just do laps, but again would like to have a LITTLE protection under some jogging pants and shirt.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I usually wear some cheap foam elbow pads and some cheap volleyball kneepads, gloves, and helmet if it's public ice or just a toque outdoors.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:45 PM
kirsi

If doing stickhandling I wear full gear because it is required at the local rinks here.. During public skates I just wear clothes, nothing special, but I would like to wear knee pads because I really dislike falling on my knees and bruising them for months.

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:06 PM
densetsu

At outdoor hockey, or even street hockey, I usually just put on a pair of soccer shinpads under my jeans before I left. Not just for protections from pucks, but from accidental slashes too. Aside from that, I'd wear the usual hockey gloves and skates, and pick up my stick and some pucks. I prefer to just wear a toque or baseball hat, but if I'm going to an outdoor rink I'm not familiar with I'll also bring my helmet just in case. It's becoming more and more common that the outdoor rinks are requiring you to wear helmets, and the volunteers who run the rink make sure you follow the rules.

At an indoor rink, I'll always wear full gear. There's an etiquette at outdoor rinks (at least where I am) where you don't raise the puck or take hard shots when there's even the slightest chance it could hit someone. That etiquette goes all out the window at indoor rinks, so you better gear up.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
dpixel8

I should have clarified more. This is more of a open skate type of thing. I'll have the rink completely to myself. So basically just want something to cover my tailbone and possibly my knees. Suppose I could get some cheap shin and elbow pads, but what about padding for my ass?

Old
09-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
I should have clarified more. This is more of a open skate type of thing. I'll have the rink completely to myself. So basically just want something to cover my tailbone and possibly my knees. Suppose I could get some cheap shin and elbow pads, but what about padding for my ass?
Wow, finally an easy one! This is every simple...full gear! Why? Practice like you play and play like you practice. If you use minimal gear, then you will train for that, and you don't use minimal gear for a game.

This is why I tell my players that when they go outside to shoot pucks, they stand on something that is about 1-1/2 inch floor, that is higher then the puck is. Why? That's the height of your skates. Practice like you play. This way when it comes time for game action, you will not have to reajust your shot everythime you step on the ice! I know this sounds crazy, but you would step on the ice without your skates...right? Same for the rest of the gear. You have to get use to playing with it even if you have been playing for 12 years.

Just food for thought!
Head coach

09-30-2010, 06:42 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Wow, finally an easy one! This is every simple...full gear! Why? Practice like you play and play like you practice. If you use minimal gear, then you will train for that, and you don't use minimal gear for a game.

This is why I tell my players that when they go outside to shoot pucks, they stand on something that is about 1-1/2 inch floor, that is higher then the puck is. Why? That's the height of your skates. Practice like you play. This way when it comes time for game action, you will not have to reajust your shot everythime you step on the ice! I know this sounds crazy, but you would step on the ice without your skates...right? Same for the rest of the gear. You have to get use to playing with it even if you have been playing for 12 years.

Just food for thought!
Head coach

Agree with you completely, and was planning on that too. But I also will have times where I will only have about 20-30 mins before I need to resurface and GTFO, if you know what I mean. My main concern was my tail bone area. Was just figuring that on days where I didn't have a lot of time, I'd work solely on stickhandling conditioning (suicides, circle drills, etc)

Old
09-30-2010, 07:39 PM
beth

I have this same dilemma. Today I got to do stick and puck by myself, and I wore my helmet (sans cage), gloves, elbows, and my daughter's pink knee pads in lieu of my shinguards. Which is pretty much what I wear to public skate.

Now, I would prefer that my butt be protected too, but I don't know that there's really any way to pull off wearing those huge pants without balancing it out with the rest of the gear. So I'm thinking that for me, it will either be the setup above, or wear it all.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Full gear... no question about it. If you are getting free ice, why practice in a different set of gear than you will be playing in? Makes zero sense. Do pros practice in skates/gloves/helmet when they have optional skates? No. Do they practice in half gear when they are skating in the offseason? No. Why would you?

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Badger36

Wow, you guys wear some pretty serious protective gear for public skate. Honestly, I dont wear any protective gear for public skate: I do wear my hockey gloves but I dont wear any kind of padding. No hockey pants, no elbow guards, no shin guards.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Wow, you guys wear some pretty serious protective gear for public skate. Honestly, I dont wear any protective gear for public skate: I do wear my hockey gloves but I dont wear any kind of padding. No hockey pants, no elbow guards, no shin guards.
He's not talking about public skate. He's talking about having the ice entirely to himself, and working on his skills. Makes zero sense to work on your skills without the equipment you will wear for a game.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:30 PM
noobman

If I'm just going out to goof off and have fun, I'll just go with my skates, rollerblader kneepads, gloves, and a helmet.

Most of the time at stick and puck sessions I'll spend 30-45 minutes doing skating drills, so I'll keep my full equipment on. I find that I'm a lot less hesitant to push myself with full gear, b/c I know I'm well protected if I lose my balance and fall.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Pog Form

Full gear.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:02 PM
beth

Quote:
I'm a noob. I'm old. I fall a LOT.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:16 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
just curious if there are any SIMPLE shorts that have pads.
I use the Mission Thorax girdle sorta like this one (only SR size) for street hockey and roller hockey. I picked up on sale at Big5 for around $15 and it's money just for goofin around. Whenever I play ice I usually go full gear.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:25 PM
ponder

When I used to live in Toronto, I'd play shinny at outdoor rinks almost every day in the winter, and just bring my gloves, stick and skates. Now that I live in Vancouver I have to go to indoor rinks for stick and puck, and they make you wear helmets, so I throw one on. I only have one helmet, and its got a full cage, so I wear that, too lazy to take it off for stick and puck only to have to put it back on for games, plus it's probably better to practice with the same vision you'll have in games.

With that being said, I've been playing hockey since I was 8, so I basically never fall in stick and puck/shinny situations. I guess if you're falling a fair bit then padded shorts would be a good idea. And full gear is indeed a good idea in terms of having the same movement limitations you'll have in-game, but honestly in a pick-up type situation I'm way to lazy to put on and take off my smelly equipment.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

if it were me, i'd head to a play it again sports, grab a cheap roller girdle, some roller pants and tape my shin guards down. throw on a helmet and elbow pads.

have some padding plus you play in more gear but quick to undress. best of both worlds?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:28 AM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
if it were me, i'd head to a play it again sports, grab a cheap roller girdle, some roller pants and tape my shin guards down. throw on a helmet and elbow pads.

have some padding plus you play in more gear but quick to undress. best of both worlds?

yeah I am thinking so.

and it's not that I fall a lot, just only been back on skates for 6 months after an almost 15 year hiatus. Don't feel like breaking my back while getting things back into shape.

Old
10-01-2010, 07:28 AM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
I use the Mission Thorax girdle sorta like this one (only SR size) for street hockey and roller hockey. I picked up on sale at Big5 for around $15 and it's money just for goofin around. Whenever I play ice I usually go full gear.

thank you

Old
10-01-2010, 09:55 AM
blueberrydanish

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Blueland89

I would just wear elbow pads and maybe get you a padded girdle

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you have the entire ice to yourself, I'd just go in full gear, but if you REALLY want to buy something, find a cheap roller girdle and wear it under track pants.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
I'm a noob. I'm old. I fall a LOT.
Me too, well, minus the falling a lot part. About 8 months ago when I first started skating I fell a lot though...

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:02 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
Me too, well, minus the falling a lot part. About 8 months ago when I first started skating I fell a lot though...

If you ever want to meet up some night when I have the place to myself, when I've been there for a month or 2, let me know.

Old
10-04-2010, 07:45 PM
ponder

I must say, I'm kinda shocked that so many people wear/suggest full equipment for stick and puck. It sounds good in theory (practice like you play), but is such a pain in the ass, and it's so nice to skate around with just gloves/skates/stick (and helmet if necessary). Any skills I've taught myself without equipment transfer fine to actual games too.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote