HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers fans named 'craziest' in NHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2010, 05:48 PM
  #1
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,361
vCash: 1431
Flyers fans named 'craziest' in NHL

Opus did it!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/

Quote:
Flyers fans are the "craziest fans" in the NHL, according to the latest edition of The Hockey News.

The magazine set out to find the toughest places to play in the league, and the Wells Fargo Center came out on top.

1. Wells Fargo Center
The what? That’s the old Wachovia Center. Which was the old Spectrum…ah, you say, Philly! In Philadelphia, Santa Claus gets pelted with snowballs and goons are beloved figures. If you don’t play hard and hit, you won’t survive the Flyers faithful – and that’s just when they’re playing road hockey.

Here is the remainder of the Top 10:

2. Madison Square Garden, New York

3. Bell Center, Montreal

4. Air Canada Centre, Toronto

5. Pengrowth Saddledome, Calgary

6. Rexall Place, Edmonton

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:10 PM
  #2
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,946
vCash: 955
Nassau, eh?

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:19 PM
  #3
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Nassau, eh?
When they have something to cheer for they can be a pretty good crowd.. Remember the Leafs and Isles series?

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:25 PM
  #4
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,946
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
When they have something to cheer for they can be a pretty good crowd.. Remember the Leafs and Isles series?
I actually can only remember seeing their building truly rocking one time: when they knocked out the Pens in '93.

I'm a little too young to remember the dynasty years and, given their relatively poor stretch over the last couple decades, I never would have guessed they would crack the top 10. I'm sure they have a passionate fan base; I just was surprised to see 'em on the list.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:14 PM
  #5
Fuzzy Bunny
Registered User
 
Fuzzy Bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
I'd put Buffalo higher, I'd knock Toronto out of there, not sure who'd take their place but I think Vancouver is louder then them, and Caps fans can get pretty wild now that they have a good team to follow.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:34 PM
  #6
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,054
vCash: 500
THN also predicted us to win the Cup last year.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:37 PM
  #7
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
THN also predicted us to win the Cup last year.
And were two wins from being correct.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
  #8
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
We're great in the playoffs, but pretty quiet during the regular season generally... and while jumping in the penalty box with Domi gave us a good "crazy" moment, I'm not sure we hold a candle to the ape**** stupidity that goes on in Montreal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:41 PM
  #9
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
we stole the ole ole ole chant, and we should never give it back

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
  #10
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We're great in the playoffs, but pretty quiet during the regular season generally... and while jumping in the penalty box with Domi gave us a good "crazy" moment, I'm not sure we hold a candle to the ape**** stupidity that goes on in Montreal.
Yeah, I don't get how a Canadian city doesn't take first. I understand that our fan-base gets generalized for the idiocy of a vast minority.

The Canadiens are a mediocre fringe playoff team and their fans have rioted after 1st round victories and booed their only starter during their first pre-season game. I can't think of any other fan-base that has done it and I can't imagine any American team doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
we stole the ole ole ole chant, and we should never give it back
I'd rofl if we just kept using it. Habs fans would be uber pissed.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
  #11
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, I don't get how a Canadian city doesn't take first. I understand that our fan-base gets generalized for the idiocy of a vast minority.
Professional Sports: #1 Philadelphia

Hockey: #1 Montreal, #2 Philadelphia

That's about how I see it.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:08 PM
  #12
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,361
vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We're great in the playoffs, but pretty quiet during the regular season generally... and while jumping in the penalty box with Domi gave us a good "crazy" moment, I'm not sure we hold a candle to the ape**** stupidity that goes on in Montreal.
The justification of the opinion by the author should be supported by something other than what happened in a different sport with a different team and when the Flyers were one-year old. And maybe I'm guilty of reading the prattle too literally but the current building was never the Spectrum. As far as goons being beloved figures, typical hyperbole which can be demystified simply by the premise that most NHL fans love their hometown fighters (or goons if he prefers). Flyers' fans have always had a unique relationship with their players, a dedication that supersedes the typical fan-player adoration, whether it was Bernie Parent or Dave Schultz, who by the way, took regular shifts and once scored 20 goals on a Cup winner and won two Cups; what's not to like?

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
  #13
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The justification of the opinion by the author should be supported by something other than what happened in a different sport with a different team and when the Flyers were one-year old. And maybe I'm guilty of reading the prattle too literally but the current building was never the Spectrum. As far as goons being beloved figures, typical hyperbole which can be demystified simply by the premise that most NHL fans love their hometown fighters (or goons if he prefers). Flyers' fans have always had a unique relationship with their players, a dedication that supersedes the typical fan-player adoration, whether it was Bernie Parent or Dave Schultz, who by the way, took regular shifts and once scored 20 goals on a Cup winner and won two Cups; what's not to like?
The new building is nice... but the Spectrum, it is not.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:22 PM
  #14
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'd rofl if we just kept using it. Habs fans would be uber pissed.
that's in the hands of our fans who go to the game and read these boards WINK WINK

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:34 PM
  #15
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Habs fans are the craziest, the fact they're in third is borderline retarded.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:33 PM
  #16
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
It depends what you mean by "crazy". Do they mean rabid, throat-bursting, blood-lustful maniacs who would make the Romans in the Coliseum proud? Or just a loud crowd that rattles the rafters when their team is up on the scoreboard? I don't see the Bell Centre in the first column.

I'll let you know what it's like wearing my Flyers jersey against Mtl in November.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:40 PM
  #17
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
we stole the ole ole ole chant, and we should never give it back
I like Ole but only if we use it against the Habs. Other than taunting there should never be an Ole chant at a hockey game.... ever.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:32 PM
  #18
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It depends what you mean by "crazy". Do they mean rabid, throat-bursting, blood-lustful maniacs who would make the Romans in the Coliseum proud? Or just a loud crowd that rattles the rafters when their team is up on the scoreboard? I don't see the Bell Centre in the first column.

I'll let you know what it's like wearing my Flyers jersey against Mtl in November.
Habs fans riot over the hot dog stand running out of food.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:48 PM
  #19
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,410
vCash: 5700
It's been over 40 years, and Flyers fans have to get grouped in with Santa Claus being pelted with snowballs by Eagles fans.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:53 PM
  #20
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's been over 40 years, and Flyers fans have to get grouped in with Santa Claus being pelted with snowballs by Eagles fans.
Kinda sick of this, especially because no one knows the whole story.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:58 PM
  #21
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
We've fought opposing players, we've warred with the Soviets, we've foughts bats, and fog. We've fought concussions, and groins, and hips.

We've fought one another.

We've had The Animal, Moose, Big Bird, Carbomb, Boom Boom, etc. Our captains are notorious for being some of the toughest SoB's in the league. We'll boo anyone, including mothers, children, vice presidential candidates, old people, etc.

We aren't worried what languages our players speak, where they are from; all that matters is that they play the game with reckless abandon, all in the pursuit of Lord Stanley's Cup, for the crest on the front.

I defy any other team to best our claim to the craziest fanbase in the NHL>

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:00 AM
  #22
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
That about sums it up. Exact that we don't normally like Russians.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:01 AM
  #23
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Kinda sick of this, especially because no one knows the whole story.
I agree 100%

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:27 AM
  #24
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
We've fought opposing players, we've warred with the Soviets, we've foughts bats, and fog. We've fought concussions, and groins, and hips.

We've fought one another.

We've had The Animal, Moose, Big Bird, Carbomb, Boom Boom, etc. Our captains are notorious for being some of the toughest SoB's in the league. We'll boo anyone, including mothers, children, vice presidential candidates, old people, etc.

We aren't worried what languages our players speak, where they are from; all that matters is that they play the game with reckless abandon, all in the pursuit of Lord Stanley's Cup, for the crest on the front.

I defy any other team to best our claim to the craziest fanbase in the NHL>
That is a great summation of our team/fanbase; however, we don't light **** on fire, riot, vandalize, steal, etc. our city after a ****ing playoff series win.

The team's fan base who does that certainly takes the true mantle of "craziest" in my eyes.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:32 AM
  #25
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
That is a great summation of our team/fanbase; however, we don't light **** on fire, riot, vandalize, steal, etc. our city after a ****ing playoff series win.

The team's fan base who does that certainly takes the true mantle of "craziest" in my eyes.
In the vast majority of cases, it's not fans who pull that ****. It's *******s who use a playoff win/loss as an excuse to vandalize the city. Kinda similar to the fact that it wasn't hockey fans who pelted Santa, but Flyers fans get tarred with the same brush.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.