HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawas top 10 prospects

Old
09-29-2010, 06:02 PM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Ottawas top 10 prospects

Been following this site http://premiumscouting.com/index.php...teams&Itemid=8

have been doing an overview as well as top 10 prospects for every team. Ottawas turn now... here is a Wiercioch write up

Quote:
1.) Patrick Wiercioch, Defense

Patrick Wiercioch has all the makings of an offensive defenseman. Hes a very smooth skater and moves the puck through the neutral zone with a nice, efficient stride. As he adds more bulk and power to his 64 frame he should be able to generate even more speed. Wiercioch has good offensive instincts and knows when to jump into the play as well as recognizing the open lanes. He handles the puck very well and is good at evading the first forechecker. He uses his body and long reach to protect the puck in all three zones when he has possession. Wiercioch shoots well and appears to know how to find the net. His best attribute appears to be his ability to see the developing play and quickly release an accurate pass to open teammates. Hes very calm at the point and is both creative and steady in surveying his options. Wiercioch is particularly strong at gathering loose pucks in the defensive and neutral zones and quickly transitioning the puck forward. He wastes little time in assessing the play and catching the opponent flat-footed. He makes these plays seemingly with little effort. Wiercioch defends through using his skating and footwork to gain good position on attacking forwards and maintaining gap control. Hes also able to recognize the play and step into the neutral zone to prevent passes from occurring. Wiercioch is not a physical player and is prone to being outmuscled in the corners and in front of the net. He should win more battles as he grows but does not appear to have a nasty edge to his game.
The whole thing is a pretty good read

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:46 PM
MoreGore

Link to good Report

Here is a solid writeup of some Sens prospects,

http://premiumscouting.com/index.php...teams&Itemid=8

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:37 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Here is a solid writeup of some Sens prospects,

http://premiumscouting.com/index.php...teams&Itemid=8
It's not a bad overview, although part of Lehner's piece is attached to Cowen and the look at the 2005-09 drafts is brief and incomplete. The skill ranking system they choose is a little bizarre as well--why 20-80? The criteria themselves are fine, but I don't see the advantage in making 20 the floor and 80 the ceiling.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:08 AM
DJB

vCash: 964
Really good writeup on Weircioch. When I have more time I'll finish the article.

Thanks for posting!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:21 AM
MoreGore

I think the 20-80 system is patterened after another sport, Baseball I think. I don't really like the style really because it is really a bell curve, so nobody ever gets anything from 20-35 and 65-80.

Robin Lehner is given a 60 for goalie size for example. Now at 6foot 4 230lbs, what is a 80 for goalie size?

Last edited by MoreGore: 09-30-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old
09-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Thx for digging it Fuhr. Probably one of the best and most accurate scouting report of Sens prospects I have read... Looks a lot more professional than HF reports...

Only have a problem with Jim O'Brien at 8. I'd put Mike Hoffman at this spot.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:26 AM
SpezDispenser

Really enjoyed this. Thanks for finding.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:57 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
The exact same link was posted by MoreGore here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=824135

I'll repeat what I said there: It's not a bad overview, although part of Lehner's piece is attached to Cowen and the look at the 2005-09 drafts is brief and incomplete. The skill ranking system they choose is a little bizarre as well--why 20-80? The criteria themselves are fine, but I don't see the advantage in making 20 the floor and 80 the ceiling.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:11 PM
petelevi

Quote:
I think the 20-80 system is patterened after another sport, Baseball I think. I don't really like the style really because it is really a bell curve, so nobody ever gets anything from 20-35 and 65-80.

Robin Lehner is given a 60 for goalie size for example. Now at 6foot 4 230lbs, what is a 80 for goalie size?
I completely agree. I don't see the point here (or with Hockey Futures) with their elite player ratings--if you never use it, what's the point in scoring "a once in a generation" guys? A simplier scoring system (however it's set-up--letters, numbers, whatever) is what's most useful to fans.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Drama

Quote:

I was just coming here to post about Lehner's size.

Also, are the points they are given what they are at right now, or what they are expected they will be at?

Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:33 PM
bdp

Wiercioch over Cowen, finally a publication that gets it.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelevi View Post
The exact same link was posted by MoreGore here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=824135

I'll repeat what I said there: It's not a bad overview, although part of Lehner's piece is attached to Cowen and the look at the 2005-09 drafts is brief and incomplete. The skill ranking system they choose is a little bizarre as well--why 20-80? The criteria themselves are fine, but I don't see the advantage in making 20 the floor and 80 the ceiling.
He posted 2hrs after me...

I liked the scouting reports... the number rankings and organization overview cared less about.

Solid scouting reports are great

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Bobby Blowhard

amazing stuff. Most original and in depth prospect write up Ive ever seen. Grant and Silfverberg in the top ten, Wick out of it... Good stuff! Only thing i would change is Zach Smith in Obrien's spot and Cowen in the number one spot.

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Wiercioch over Cowen, finally a publication that gets it.
I know you're just trying to troll, but no.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
MoreGore

Not sure about that.

I think I prefer a grading system that is based on a ... yeash, I forget the term now... but it basically places the numbers equally in all the groups. Ie 25% of players are in each of the 4 groups, or 20% in 5 groups. The Bell curve method placed on top of a limited grading system means that you never assign the end values, and thus prospects look very similar.

From X prospect pool, John Smith, 7.0C... yeash

Old
09-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Bileur

I was interested to see Wiercioch's "shot" grade being the same as Petersson's. Petersson has an absolute laser. I have not seen that much of Wiercioch but I have never seen his shot as being on that level.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Wham City

This site is new but from what I've seen thus far I've been really impressed. These draft rankings were excellent imo:

http://premiumscouting.com/index.php...&id=2&Itemid=3

Last edited by Wham City: 09-30-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote