HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton has a bulging disc, out one month (updated Tuesday, Sept. 28; post#202)

Old
09-30-2010, 10:05 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18
In the end their both good players and excel at different parts of the game, Im just happy the Flyers got both of them!
My sentiments exactly. Two exciting young players loaded with talent. I'm looking forward to watching both of them on this team for years to come!

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:37 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
As a Giroux fan girl sometimes I do question if we overhype him and wonder if he'll end up being our version of Ales Hemsky. Hemsky was hyped for years by Oilers fans because he could regular amaze you with these slick moves and his vision. Fans couldn't help but think he had the skills to be an elite forward in this league, but he's never lived up to it despite being a very good player. Are we falling for the flash a little too much with Giroux? I don't know.

That said, I feel the completely opposite in regards to JVR and Giroux. JVR has the size, but I never really saw him as someone who could be a star in this league. I think he will be a very good forward, but I don't see him being on the level of even a Jeff Carter.

I just think Giroux has more raw skill and intangibles to play at a higher level than JVR.
When I compare Giroux to a player I almost always use Hemsky as a reference. I personally think that if Hemsky was anywhere but Edmonton he would have 75+ points a year instead of 65+, which is right around where Giroux SHOULD be here in a few years. I'm not sure if you're downplaying Hemsky or upplaying Giroux, but either way I think they are pretty equivalent.

As has been said, a 70 point winger is pretty **** good, this isn't 2006 anymore.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:39 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't spend much time pimping any of the young players on this team.
Devil's advocate: You pimp Carter every chance you get.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Devil's advocate: You pimp Carter every chance you get.
Defending against stupidity is not pimping.

People say stupid **** about Carter that is based in an alternate reality. I prove it to 'em.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:46 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Defending against stupidity is not pimping.

People say stupid **** about Carter that is based in an alternate reality. I prove it to 'em.
You seem extra fiery of late. I'm sensing a bit less fact and a little more emotion than normal for you.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
When I compare Giroux to a player I almost always use Hemsky as a reference. I personally think that if Hemsky was anywhere but Edmonton he would have 75+ points a year instead of 65+, which is right around where Giroux SHOULD be here in a few years. I'm not sure if you're downplaying Hemsky or upplaying Giroux, but either way I think they are pretty equivalent.

As has been said, a 70 point winger is pretty **** good, this isn't 2006 anymore.
Hemsky's problems with point totals have more to do with injuries and missing games than the fact that he's in Edmonton.

I actually have similar concerns with Giroux given his stature and how he throws himself into contact with regularity.

Old
10-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
You seem extra fiery of late. I'm sensing a bit less fact and a little more emotion than normal for you.
Not sure that's true. When it comes to Carter most of my "pimping" has been with Cartsiephan's claims that he doesn't know how to score goals.

Fact is on my side there, for example.

Old
10-01-2010, 08:13 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Not sure that's true. When it comes to Carter most of my "pimping" has been with Cartsiephan's claims that he doesn't know how to score goals.

Fact is on my side there, for example.
I wasn't referring to that specifically, but I hear you.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:34 AM
mirimon

So, a thread about a ****** goalie turns into a debate over who's the best of two great young forwards... guess the season really need to start soon.

Btw, if I had to choose one of JvR and Giroux, I'd pick JvR. I think he has the highest ceiling of all of our forwards. Sure, his rookie season could have been better, but given how little pp time he had he produced pretty well and he showed that he won't be a defensive liability in the NHL.

Having Richards, Carter, Giroux and JvR should give us a really solid core among the forward group for a long time, unless we **** up the cap structure again.

Oh, and if the Pens would offer a Staal for Giroux swap I'd take that immediately.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Gert B Frobe

speaking of goalies (not that anybody here was) I say we waive Boucher and claim Gerber. Not sure he will get all the way to the Flyers - everybody is saying Minnesota is going to claim him.

Anybody have any idea how that works? How long does each team have to claim a player off of waivers before he goes on to the next team up the rankings?

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
speaking of goalies (not that anybody here was) I say we waive Boucher and claim Gerber. Not sure he will get all the way to the Flyers - everybody is saying Minnesota is going to claim him.

Anybody have any idea how that works? How long does each team have to claim a player off of waivers before he goes on to the next team up the rankings?
Ah, it's just a 48 hour window I'm pretty sure... if you want him, you put into a claim... highest priority wins.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Just read from BSH

Quote:
Good pt made in our comments. Backlund isn't waiver-exempt. If he starts season w/ Flyers, he has to stay or they could lose him to waivers.
Might be a reason why Bob most likely will start on the main squad. Not that every team will be crawling for Backlund, but I dont think the team wants to take a chance. Its good to have a goalie that can play when you have your other guys go down, and can start and do a good job in the AHL. Plus they seem high on Backlund.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote