HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers defensive chemistry

Old
09-30-2010, 03:49 PM
ctay

vCash: 500
Flyers defensive chemistry

The Flyers offense has been firing on all cyllinders, but is anyone else concerned that 4 of the 6 preseason games have ended in shootouts. The other 2, a regulation loss to NJ and an easy stomping of a sort of Islanders team.

I know Pronger hasn't been in the lineup, but with Timonen, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros, O'Donnell, and the rest... The blue line was supposed to be their strength going into this season. What is the problem?

ctay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Well when you have guys playing that aren't NHL ready sometimes it tends to happen. Just wait until the starters are all in together and play.

We got guys out there that will not have a roster spot that are getting looks at by management and the coaches.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Well when you have guys playing that aren't NHL ready sometimes it tends to happen. Just wait until the starters are all in together and play.

We got guys out there that will not have a roster spot that are getting looks at by management and the coaches.
Personally, I really dont think Gustafsson and Bourdon are making our defense look THAT bad...

Other then Bob, goaltending has been sort of an issue.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:56 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctay View Post
The Flyers offense has been firing on all cyllinders, but is anyone else concerned that 4 of the 6 preseason games have ended in shootouts. The other 2, a regulation loss to NJ and an easy stomping of a sort of Islanders team.

I know Pronger hasn't been in the lineup, but with Timonen, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros, O'Donnell, and the rest... The blue line was supposed to be their strength going into this season. What is the problem?
How does the fact that the games go to the shootout equate to the defense being at fault?

Not saying that the defense has been great, but I don't really understand the connection between a game going to a shootout and blaming the D. It's not like they were high scoring games.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:59 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
what Lavi should do, when Pronger gets back is just go with the familar guys.

Pronger-Carle
Coburn-Timonen
Meszaros-O'Donnel/Walker/bartulis

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post

Exactly. I've only seen the Toronto games in full, but Lehtivuori got caught up ice on one goal, and one of the Leafs burned Bourdon with speed on another. When you play NJ and lose, without Timonen or Pronger, but with JVR, Testwuide and Holmstrom doing all the PK work (and Richards/Carter none), you remember why it's not really useful to take too much stock of the pre-season.

It's a team game and 2/3 of the team is not the team....

When the full D is in there, with all the forwards, there won't be many teams that can match them for depth.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Preseason.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:23 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

way to early for this topic

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:52 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

We're done. Let's bag it and go for the 1st overall pick.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:56 PM
BringBackStevens

Where is this notion that the defense has been bad coming from? A few guys back there have really stood out actually

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:50 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I would actually think it's the other way around. The offense has hardly been lighting it up. The defense has actually looked very good

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
How does the fact that the games go to the shootout equate to the defense being at fault?
Sounds like:

5 : 5 after OT --> Bad defense, good offense (both teams)
0 : 0 after OT --> Good offense, bad defense (even both)

Realize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:09 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
We're done. Let's bag it and go for the 1st overall pick.
Wait, wait, wait, WE HAVE DRAFT PICKS THIS YEAR?!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:11 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Random question, but is Pronger going to miss any time? I havent really kept tabs on his injury.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:30 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Random question, but is Pronger going to miss any time? I havent really kept tabs on his injury.
I can't really get a good read on it. Based on what I read on csnphilly this morning, he's probably not going to play within the next two games. They're holding him off the ice until Sunday, but other than that, it seems kinda hazy.

I'm honestly not expecting him to play against the Penguins. Obviously he wants to be out there and he's a proud guy, but I'm hoping he waits it out for another two weeks or so.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
He is going to be ready.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:32 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realize View Post
Sounds like:

5 : 5 after OT --> Bad defense, good offense (both teams)
0 : 0 after OT --> Good offense, bad defense (even both)
Ohhh, so that's how it works...

Old
10-01-2010, 10:32 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Wait, wait, wait, WE HAVE DRAFT PICKS THIS YEAR?!
Wait till that trade deadline....I got money that we wont have a 1st or 2nd (since he traded that one already) like usual.

Old
10-01-2010, 10:37 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wait till that trade deadline....I got money that we wont have a 1st or 2nd (since he traded that one already) like usual.
Maybe Holmgren does it just to challenge himself?

He's such a good scout that he's decided having draft picks is unfair to the other teams in the league. He acquires talent like a real man...by finding undrafted players and loading his roster with them.

Old
10-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Jester

You have no clue about team chemistry until about the 20th game of the season... until then, just about everyone is a mess... and you hope you can take advantage of it to jump out early (which, thankfully, we did last year...).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You have no clue about team chemistry until about the 20th game of the season... until then, just about everyone is a mess... and you hope you can take advantage of it to jump out early (which, thankfully, we did last year...).
We traded Gagne (big part of our team) but pretty much kept everyone else. Do we really need 20 games?

Old
10-01-2010, 11:15 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
We traded Gagne (big part of our team) but pretty much kept everyone else. Do we really need 20 games?
Getting Zherdev to mesh in will be alittle harder then it looks. Even if he is leading the team in preseason, he still looks alittle out of place. Plus then we got the other top 9 forward (Guerin or whoever) who needs to mesh in. Other then the Hartnell-Briere-Leino line, the other lines have some new faces.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Getting Zherdev to mesh in will be alittle harder then it looks. Even if he is leading the team in preseason, he still looks alittle out of place. Plus then we got the other top 9 forward (Guerin or whoever) who needs to mesh in. Other then the Hartnell-Briere-Leino line, the other lines have some new faces.
This thread is about d-sive chemistry, right?

Zherdev looks a little out of place if you think of him as Gagne’s replacement which he isn't. He won’t give you solid 20 min effort in all areas like Gagne did but he will give you 6 high octane minutes to score some points. Zherdev already displays chemistry with Giroux and Richards is already very high level from little I saw.

As far as Bill… So far he did nothing in pre-season to secure that roster spot. I am not really worried about O’Donnell, he was always steady, Shelley knows his place on the team and Mesz should not go crazy trying to impress us, keep it simple at first, less is more.

I am really not arguing about a number of gamesI just hope it will be faster this year. If goalteding holds up and we on't take crazy penalties we will be in good shape.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-01-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old
10-01-2010, 11:51 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
He looks a little out of place if you think of him as Gagne’s replacement which he isn't. He won’t give you solid 20 min effort in all areas like Gagne did but he will give you 6 high octane minutes to score some points. Zherdev already displays chemistry with Giroux and Richards is already very high level from little I saw.

As far as Bill… So far he did nothing in pre-season to secure that roster spot. I am not really worried about O’Donnell, he was always steady.

I am really not arguing about a number of gamesI just hope it will be faster this year. If goalteding holds up and we on't take crazy penalties we will be in good shape.
Oh I agree. The last few seasons we always had like 4-6 or so new faces each time, in which I understand they had to mesh. This time its Zherdev, whoever makes up the other top 9, and our defense. If its Timonen-Meszaros, or Timonen-Coburn (for the past 2 seasons, I havent liked how these two played together), or Coburn-O'Donnell, or Meszaros-O'Donnell, I think those guys will need to get assimilated with one another.

I agree with Zherdev but I remember at one point last game, Timonen made a quick pass and Zherdev was skating around, not knowing it was coming. He is going to need to get used to the quick passes that our defense uses.

EDIT: Yea it was about defensive chemistry, but I was stating it as a whole. Meh oh well. Its not like other threads stay on topic lol.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:56 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
This thread is about d-sive chemistry, right?

Zherdev looks a little out of place if you think of him as Gagne’s replacement which he isn't. He won’t give you solid 20 min effort in all areas like Gagne did but he will give you 6 high octane minutes to score some points. Zherdev already displays chemistry with Giroux and Richards is already very high level from little I saw.

As far as Bill… So far he did nothing in pre-season to secure that roster spot. I am not really worried about O’Donnell, he was always steady, Shelley knows his place on the team and Mesz should not go crazy trying to impress us, keep it simple at first, less is more.

In theory, it shouldn't take too long for this team because they've had a short summer and the team composition hasn't changed a whole lot.

However, you never know. Sometimes teams just don't get off to the right start and struggle with their current situation from there on out. The hope is that they come out flying, but there's no real guarantee.

It'll be interesting to see how some of the personalities mesh...specifically Zherdev and, if he stays with the team, Bobrovsky.