HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2010, 03:45 PM
  #251
Balls Mahoney
Fair and Balanced
 
Balls Mahoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: +7 495 695-37-76
Country: United States
Posts: 11,597
vCash: 500
I'm excited for Bob, this seems like a storybook opening for him to come in and make a name for the Flyers. I've been following him from awhile from his excellent international play and I really think he's destined to become Philly's guy for the next decade. Really hoping Bob can stick and take over the number one. I have no doubt he's already the Flyers' most talented goalie.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
  #252
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
So when he does something good its luck??

But when its bad its because he is a retarded..

Makes no sense. It seems like its hard for people around here to give him any type of credit to go along with the bad. He went out and spent on defense this off-season. People cried about it. Yes some people have a right to because he did overpay.

I agree with those people. But we needed to sure up that back end. Do people realize how lucky we got with the health on the defense? If we had major injuries back there that cup run wouldn't of been possible. Homer made sure this year that doesn't happen.

I just think people are following the lame bandwagon trend around here to hate on a guy. That is all it is. We can talk about the mistakes he made all day and most i will agree with. Especially his handling of the cap but when we talk about the good its all luck which is a lame debate.
I didn't say when things work out, it's luck. But Leino was incredibly lucky. It was a minor transaction for a depth forward that turned into a mindblowing playoffs because they found chemistry. Nobody on earth thought that would happen. That, I call lucky.

What I do not call lucky is his amazing drafting (which he has since foregone because he trades our picks in salary dumps because he mismanages everything). His eye for unsigned talent is also impeccable. I mean, it's because of him that we have Giroux, Richards, Carter, Backlund, Bobrovsky, Holmstrom, etc. The man knows how to find talent without using top-slot picks, and he has been the primary reason that our drafting and scouting have been so well. I would say we're not behind many organizations in the league; in fact, I'd say we're on a very short list of teams that find wonderful talent with later picks (later here meaning bottom of the first round or, obviously, 2nd and later).

He is very, very good at identifying talent. The problem is that he is not good at acquiring that talent without overpaying or overspending. The other problem is that he too often goes out and tries to do everything at once while ignoring longer-term consequences, which puts him in terrible positions where he has to give up extra compensation to fix the cap that he ***** every year.

Yes, we got incredibly lucky in the playoffs and shoring up the defense was a fine idea. But shoring it up by acquiring Meszaros at $4m AND the combined hit of 2.7 for O'Donnell AND Walker? That's overkill, and given our circumstances, a bad oversight.

Holmgren has pulled off some very, very shrewd moves. Coburn for Zhitnik and the great Forsberg trade sequence have to be some of the better deals I've seen from this club in a while. But for every good one (most of which happened a while ago now), there are 3 dumb moves that mess everything up.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:46 PM
  #253
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I havent watched one second of the preseason (work,not on tv,dont get TCN even tho im a comcast costomer...) But ive heard nothing but great things about this guy. Fill me in, is he the real deal? Im assuming Adirondak is the best option for him this year tho, unless Boucher goes down too.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:24 PM
  #254
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I havent watched one second of the preseason (work,not on tv,dont get TCN even tho im a comcast costomer...) But ive heard nothing but great things about this guy. Fill me in, is he the real deal? Im assuming Adirondak is the best option for him this year tho, unless Boucher goes down too.
I think we all agree that he is the real deal (at least most of us). What we don't agree on is how ready he is for the spotlight. The issues with him are language and time learning the NA game.

He is more flexible than Gumby, has lightning quick reflexes, gives up less rebounds than any goalie we have since...... well a long time anyway, and is very positionally sound. He can cover the entire bottom of the net in no time flat. I don't know if it is on you-tube or not but in the game against.....I'm thinking Minn...... he made a save on .....maybe Havlat or possibly Koivo where he needed to do the splits and shift over after already going partially into the butterfly. The speed in which he did it was sick.

I guess there are 2 concerns with him outside of the language/Na arguments and they are: 1) would we potentially ruin him a la Carey Price, DiPietro etc and 2) will teams eventually get wise to his style an start roofing it because he tends to go down quickly.

I personally don't think we would "ruin" him because it's not like he is an immature punk who has just come from dominating kids his own age, several leagues removed from the big time. He has (apparently from what we have read) shown a tremendous amount of maturity. The whole ruining a prospect argument to me doesn't carry as much weight with this kid because things like his post to post movement and flexabiliy aren't going to go away. He has what he has for skill. Where he could be ruined is the mental aspect and that is up to the team to determine where he is at. Kids like Sbisa had their progress slowed, but they needed to progress, Bob doesn't seem to need to progress as much, but more adapt than anything else. He has been playing against men in arguably the second best league in the world and on one of the worst teams to boot so it's not like he isn't used to set backs and losing the odd game.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:44 PM
  #255
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I think we all agree that he is the real deal (at least most of us). What we don't agree on is how ready he is for the spotlight. The issues with him are language and time learning the NA game.
Thanks for the insight man, Ill Tube him later, My main concern would be his learning of the NA game, hence why Id be OK with him playing in the AHL to start, BUT if he is as solid as you say he could outplay LEights and Boosh easily.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
  #256
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,244
vCash: 500
He looks way better than boosh did his first year pro. That first year with the phantoms he had a really weak glove hand. Totally surprised he straightened things out has had a long career. He was thoroughly outplayed by biron in the AHL playoffs one year.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:58 PM
  #257
ShortBus
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
With Leighton's bulging disk, who's to say he won't stick around awhile as the
backup to boosh. I like him a lot also, but I'd hate to see him get burned up if we throw him out there as the No. 1 too soon. He might still need some time in the A to adjust to the north american game.

ShortBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 02:02 AM
  #258
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
First off, I can't take anyone seriously that refers to someone as cat and then follows that with " I haven't seen him play this preseason but from stuff I saw on film from Russia.."......

Sometimes this fanbase makes it hard to enjoy this great game...
Oh please ! Grow up frat boy, you have zero knowledge about my hockey intelligence, my hockey back ground, or what all countries i watched and played hockey in over the years.....Yes, i have not watched BOB play any preseason games yet due to my now living in Florida, and believe it or not YES i feel that i was able to see very quickly from the video feeds i watched of the KHL that BOB has got the right stuff that deserves a very thorough good look at....What in the heck is so awful about that ? It seems that from what i have been reading that perhaps my instincts may be correct about this CATS abilities.For example, one KHL clip i watched of him showed his incredible lateral movement, and quite frankly it JUMPED off the screen at me, i also really liked the way he tracked the puck etc.Perhaps you are some expert that is the only person allowed to voice his or her thoughts on this forum ? FERGETABOUTIT !I am 52 years old by the way, and been a flyers fan since 1967 bro !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:35 AM
  #259
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Yeah well, i've been a flyers fan since 1901, Yeah thats right. I've watched every single minute of the NHL since then. I've never missed a single incident, and was at the flyers cup wins. DON'T QUESTION MY HOCKEY KNOWLEDGE.

The dick measuring contest gets worse everytime

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:35 AM
  #260
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I didn't say when things work out, it's luck. But Leino was incredibly lucky. It was a minor transaction for a depth forward that turned into a mindblowing playoffs because they found chemistry. Nobody on earth thought that would happen. That, I call lucky.
To call it luck, you'd have to have access to the Flyers' scouting reports, which they no doubt have on every player in the league. I'm sure their Finnish scouts had been looking at him, as with other overage players over their who might become available. And he did lead the league in scoring so it wasn't like he was an unknown.

Homer said at the time of the trade something like, 'we've had our eye on him for awhile and when he became available we made sure to acquire him.'

No one can predict he would've broke Propp's rookie scoring record, but he was a guy with proven record, who was older, and who had played well in Detroit.

That Leino was a talented offensive player at the NHL level was known. Detroit only dealt him (out of the West for that matter) because they had no cap room and a full roster with Franzen coming back.

Sometimes you have to do these things, to keep kids like Helm or Abdelkader in your org.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:12 AM
  #261
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I didn't say when things work out, it's luck. But Leino was incredibly lucky. It was a minor transaction for a depth forward that turned into a mindblowing playoffs because they found chemistry. Nobody on earth thought that would happen. That, I call lucky.

What I do not call lucky is his amazing drafting (which he has since foregone because he trades our picks in salary dumps because he mismanages everything). His eye for unsigned talent is also impeccable. I mean, it's because of him that we have Giroux, Richards, Carter, Backlund, Bobrovsky, Holmstrom, etc. The man knows how to find talent without using top-slot picks, and he has been the primary reason that our drafting and scouting have been so well. I would say we're not behind many organizations in the league; in fact, I'd say we're on a very short list of teams that find wonderful talent with later picks (later here meaning bottom of the first round or, obviously, 2nd and later).

He is very, very good at identifying talent. The problem is that he is not good at acquiring that talent without overpaying or overspending. The other problem is that he too often goes out and tries to do everything at once while ignoring longer-term consequences, which puts him in terrible positions where he has to give up extra compensation to fix the cap that he ***** every year.

Yes, we got incredibly lucky in the playoffs and shoring up the defense was a fine idea. But shoring it up by acquiring Meszaros at $4m AND the combined hit of 2.7 for O'Donnell AND Walker? That's overkill, and given our circumstances, a bad oversight.

Holmgren has pulled off some very, very shrewd moves. Coburn for Zhitnik and the great Forsberg trade sequence have to be some of the better deals I've seen from this club in a while. But for every good one (most of which happened a while ago now), there are 3 dumb moves that mess everything up.
Agree with everything said; however, Walker+O'Donnell=3M, not 2.7M.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:14 AM
  #262
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
He has been playing against men in arguably the second best league in the world and on one of the worst teams to boot so it's not like he isn't used to set backs and losing the odd game.
Who in the world argues that?

I would argue that the Eltiserien and quite possibly the AHL and SEL are better than the KHL.

Not that it takes away from your point, I'm just curious is all.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:14 AM
  #263
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Yeah well, i've been a flyers fan since 1901, Yeah thats right. I've watched every single minute of the NHL since then. I've never missed a single incident, and was at the flyers cup wins. DON'T QUESTION MY HOCKEY KNOWLEDGE.

The dick measuring contest gets worse everytime

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:20 AM
  #264
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Oh please ! Grow up frat boy, you have zero knowledge about my hockey intelligence, my hockey back ground, or what all countries i watched and played hockey in over the years.....Yes, i have not watched BOB play any preseason games yet due to my now living in Florida, and believe it or not YES i feel that i was able to see very quickly from the video feeds i watched of the KHL that BOB has got the right stuff that deserves a very thorough good look at....What in the heck is so awful about that ? It seems that from what i have been reading that perhaps my instincts may be correct about this CATS abilities.For example, one KHL clip i watched of him showed his incredible lateral movement, and quite frankly it JUMPED off the screen at me, i also really liked the way he tracked the puck etc.Perhaps you are some expert that is the only person allowed to voice his or her thoughts on this forum ? FERGETABOUTIT !I am 52 years old by the way, and been a flyers fan since 1967 bro !
I think he was merely attempting to point out, that like many other posters, your odd way of expressing your opinions (terrible sentence structure, unintelligent vocabulary choices, etc.) makes people discredit those opinions.

It is akin to walking into a bar and seeing the trashiest girl you have ever seen in your life, sure she may be hot, sure she may be a really nice person with a great moral fabric, but damn... she sure looks like she has a Petri dish between her legs.

Perhaps you should proofread what you write sometimes, take out the 'cats' and 'bros' (in non-sarcastic intonations), break up your paragraphs a bit, etc.

Or don't, I really could care less, just trying to offer advice.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:08 AM
  #265
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
To call it luck, you'd have to have access to the Flyers' scouting reports, which they no doubt have on every player in the league. I'm sure their Finnish scouts had been looking at him, as with other overage players over their who might become available. And he did lead the league in scoring so it wasn't like he was an unknown.

Homer said at the time of the trade something like, 'we've had our eye on him for awhile and when he became available we made sure to acquire him.'

No one can predict he would've broke Propp's rookie scoring record, but he was a guy with proven record, who was older, and who had played well in Detroit.

That Leino was a talented offensive player at the NHL level was known. Detroit only dealt him (out of the West for that matter) because they had no cap room and a full roster with Franzen coming back.

Sometimes you have to do these things, to keep kids like Helm or Abdelkader in your org.
Yeah, we all know why Detroit had to do it, but please. Leino had some offensive talent, this was known. But he had done literally nothing at the NHL level to suggest he would go on the tear that he did in the playoffs. The Leino trade was a fine move, but the dividends it played were completely unexpected, and therefore lucky.

Besides, that's not the only thing that he lucked out with. A waiver wire goaltender saved our season, according to some around here. That's also lucky.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:08 AM
  #266
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,856
vCash: 500
From Bob McKenzie:

Quote:
Interested to see if PHI's Russian G Sergei Bobrovsky (aka BOB) can be factor in rookie race. Some think he's that good that he could.
Quote:
And with Michael Leighton out, BOB just might get his chance. Good KHL numbers and has impressed many in Flyer traning camp.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:51 AM
  #267
Cinerary
The Inexorable
 
Cinerary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,578
vCash: 500
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._2_goalie.html

Didn't see this posted anywhere, sorry if it has been already:

Quote:
Thanks to a dazzling training camp - and injuries to Michael Leighton and Johan Backlund - 22-year-old rookie Sergei "Bob" Bobrovsky has climbed to No. 2 on the Flyers' goalie depth chart.

The goalie who is No. 1, veteran Brian Boucher, has become one of Bobrovsky's biggest fans.

"He's very agile, very quick," Boucher said after Thursday's practice at the Skate Zone in Voorhees. "I don't know how he was not drafted. He seems too good to not be noticed before."

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:55 AM
  #268
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._2_goalie.html

Didn't see this posted anywhere, sorry if it has been already:
So I guess its official then.... did NOT want Bob to be a backup... start or AHL

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:01 PM
  #269
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So I guess its official then.... did NOT want Bob to be a backup... start or AHL
Good news. It's gotta be one or the other, absolutely.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:17 PM
  #270
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,671
vCash: 500
The Messiah?

Awesome! Seems everybody is dazzled by the guy..

Quote:
"I don't know how he was not drafted. He seems too good to not be noticed before."

Quote:
"He's as quick a goalie as I've seen, and as flexible and as agile as I've ever seen," Boucher, 33, said. "Obviously, camp is a short period of time, and it'll probably take an adjustment for him to get used to the grind of the North American game, where we play a lot of games. But so far, I've been very impressed with his abilities."

Ditto general manager Paul Holmgren.

"He's worked on a lot of things, and he's ready. He's like a sponge right now - a typical young guy who wants to learn and wants to get better," Holmgren said. "It's encouraging."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:43 PM
  #271
CAF1837
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Who in the world argues that?

I would argue that the Eltiserien and quite possibly the AHL and SEL are better than the KHL.

Not that it takes away from your point, I'm just curious is all.
I would even go as far as to argue that the Elitserien and SEL are the same thing.

CAF1837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:50 AM
  #272
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Yeah well, i've been a flyers fan since 1901, Yeah thats right. I've watched every single minute of the NHL since then. I've never missed a single incident, and was at the flyers cup wins. DON'T QUESTION MY HOCKEY KNOWLEDGE.

The dick measuring contest gets worse everytime
You got me all wrong mate ! I simply started the original post about how i thought Bobrovsky deserved a fair legit shot at making the big club......And suddenly folks go beserk thinking i nominated him for Vezina, then saying i am an idiot for making such an observation about his talent after only watching film of his KHL play etc...After a while i started wondering if some of these cats thought that perhaps i was a novice to hockey etc....I do not consider myself an expert, but i do know a thing or two about goal tending, and have watched a lot of hockey through the years..

Having said that, i have spent quite a bit of time over in your country [ UK], RAF Lakenheath, Mildenhall etc.Beautiful countryside in those areas....Go Flyers !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 03:43 PM
  #273
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,886
vCash: 500
so is Bobo the 'official' back up to start the season now??

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 03:52 PM
  #274
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
so is Bobo the 'official' back up to start the season now??
Pretty much. Wouldn't call him back up though, they'll be sharing duties with Boucher.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:01 PM
  #275
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing
 
RevUpThoseGolfCarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
so what is his nickname, Bob, Bobo, or both

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.