HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We need a Top 4

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
otto bond

vCash: 500
We need a Top 4

After watching this camp and compressing it with last year, there is a definite need for an other top 4. Spacek should have been that guy and he is not. Looking around the league and these type just don't pope up often.
What we need is a TOP SHUTDOWN DMAN
What we have is tones of puck moving Dman but no punishing Dman.
We need someone to play right to Markov with grit and size.

We miss the boat on some UFA so who is avaible via trade?

Old
10-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Markov and Hamrlik are both injured, when they get back we'll have a good mix of speed, leadership, veterans and rookies. I'd like to get rid of one of Hamrlik or Spacek but for one more season we can manage.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
After watching this camp and compressing it with last year, there is a definite need for an other top 4. Spacek should have been that guy and he is not. Looking around the league and these type just don't pope up often.
What we need is a TOP SHUTDOWN DMAN
What we have is tones of puck moving Dman but no punishing Dman.
We need someone to play right to Markov with grit and size.

We miss the boat on some UFA so who is avaible via trade?
We didn't really miss the boat on UFA,we didn't have any money to spend.Hamrlik should be gone next year,I doubt he leaves Ottawa but Chris Phillips would be a nice signing next summer

Old
10-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Kriss E

How about waiting to see how our full roster performs before claiming to know our needs.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How about waiting to see how our full roster performs before claiming to know our needs.
Although I agree give the team time to perform as a group, I really have not been impressed with Spacek's performance. Expecting anything other than bottom pairing minutes from Gill and Gorges is asking too much. I would argue that when Hammer and Markov come back a lineup of

Markov Spacek
Hammer Subban
Gill Gorges

will be very good.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:28 AM
WestIslander

One name!

Kevin Bieksa

Trade Spacek or put him on waivers and go with:

Markov - Bieksa
Hamrlik - Subban
Gill - Gorges
O'Byrne

Old
10-01-2010, 11:35 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
One name!

Kevin Bieksa

Markov - Bieksa
Hamrlik - Subban
Gill - Gorges
O'Byrne
What do you give to the Canucks to get him ?
Do they want to get rid of him ?

Old
10-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Gousse

my choice via trade would be Matt Greene in Los Angeles. He might not be a top 2 pairing, but could definately fit in our top 4, adding some muscle on the blue line. He's not afraid to hit and use his size

Old
10-01-2010, 11:42 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
O'Byrne, Maxwell, Carle, Spacek, Weber, draft picks etc.

Yes, this has been known since the late summer and especially after the signed Hamhuis

Old
10-01-2010, 11:43 AM
MathMan

I think that "big punishing shutdown D-men" are thoroughly overrated. A good defense is one that gets the play happening at the other end; that's still the best kind of defense there is (even though the Habs sometimes don't seem to agree ). Now some "big punishing D-men" can do that (Chara immediately comes to mind) but the size and physicality are bonuses then, not central skills.

I think the defense is fine. Hamrlik and Spacek are being underrated by Hab fans, IMO. The team's biggest need is a tough-minutes top-6 winger, preferably a natural RW. Playing Kostitsyn on his off-wing with Plekanec and a rookie or Pouliot on the Gomez line is less than ideal.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Cupmonger

Pre-season is serious business!

Old
10-01-2010, 11:44 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
One name!

Kevin Bieksa

Markov - Bieksa
Hamrlik - Subban
Gill - Gorges
O'Byrne
Bieksa sucks and would be the next scapegoat on defense.

Next off-season I'd like to get a younger guy to replace Hamrlik and we'll have some money to do it but until then once we get Markov and Hamrlik back our D is actually pretty solid as we'll have two excellent puckmovers in Markov and Subban, a very good shutdown pairing (Gill and Gorges) and Hamrlik and Spacek despite being overpaid and getting older are still solid defenseman who can also add offense.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:49 AM
scottyG

Usually when 2 of your top 3 defensemen are hurt your defense looks a little weaker...

Old
10-01-2010, 11:53 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
O'Byrne, Maxwell, Carle, Spacek, Weber, draft picks etc.

Yes, this has been known since the late summer and especially after the signed Hamhuis
Wrong. They WANTED to get rid of him, but Salo is down indefinitely. I believe Bieska remains in their plans now.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 10-01-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old
10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
I think that "big punishing shutdown D-men" are thoroughly overrated. A good defense is one that gets the play happening at the other end; that's still the best kind of defense there is (even though the Habs sometimes don't seem to agree ). Now some "big punishing D-men" can do that (Chara immediately comes to mind) but the size and physicality are bonuses then, not central skills.

I think the defense is fine. Hamrlik and Spacek are being underrated by Hab fans, IMO. The team's biggest need is a tough-minutes top-6 winger, preferably a natural RW. Playing Kostitsyn on his off-wing with Plekanec and a rookie or Pouliot on the Gomez line is less than ideal.
Chara will be re-signed in Boston before the playoffs starts, he is the Pronger and Lidstrom in Boston and they will NOT let him walk.

Old
10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

Hamrlik yes but Spacek......no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Although I agree give the team time to perform as a group, I really have not been impressed with Spacek's performance. Expecting anything other than bottom pairing minutes from Gill and Gorges is asking too much. I would argue that when Hammer and Markov come back a lineup of

Markov Spacek
Hammer Subban
Gill Gorges

will be very good.
That's the problem in this D.....We need someone better to play with MArkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Wrong. They WANTED to get rid of him, but Salo is down indefinitely. I believe Bieska remainds in their plans now.
I like Bieska but he has been so badlucky in terms of injuries. He plays a solid brand of hockey with some good grit. I'm thinking that with those freak injuries, he has lost that step and his nowhere close to what he was 3-4 years ago.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:09 PM
googlymoogly

Lets hope that next spring Emelin finally comes over to add to our weak D. He could start at 6/7 D I just imagine a combo of Emelin and PK in a few years could be terrorizing for the other team with PK's offense and Emelin with his open ice hits.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
That's the problem in this D.....We need someone better to play with MArkov
Would you give a few examples of players you would like to see line up beside Markov (even if you think they're unlikely trade candidates)? I think this thread would benefit if we knew what caliber of defender you were talking about to help guide the discussion a little bit.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Lets hope that next spring Emelin finally comes over to add to our weak D. He could start at 6/7 D I just imagine a combo of Emelin and PK in a few years could be terrorizing for the other team with PK's offense and Emelin with his open ice hits.
Still a very inexperience guy and to top it off, a guy who has never played in N-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Would you give a few examples of players you would like to see line up beside Markov (even if you think they're unlikely trade candidates)? I think this thread would benefit if we knew what caliber of defender you were talking about to help guide the discussion a little bit.
Pitkanen, Coburn, Edler, S.Weber, Seabrooks, Tyutin just to name a few.
The bold is one of my fav.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
It would help but there's no place for a new top 4 defenseman. We'll have to make do with what we currently have. With a bit of luck, maybe a guy like Weber will be able to play a more important role next year.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Still a very inexperience guy and to top it off, a guy who has never played in N-A
True but with Hammer coming off a contract we will have space for some new D. He needs to get over here soon though. We also gave up two D in McDo and Valentenko that might be in NY's lineup. It wasn't a bad deal, we got Gomez(attracted other UFAs) and Pyatt but our D was thinned out including the flop of Fisher.

I think Gaithier will need to get a D next spring with both Gill and Hammer UFAs. Hopefully they draft some talent on D and a big tough winger if possible. They are set at center for awhile time to take chances in the draft and try to find a home run.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Alright and I want to see Nash,Parise, Gaborik next to Plekanec

Old
10-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Ketzlaf

Quote:
Why go for scrubs? I'd rather have Doughty.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Alright and I want to see Nash,Parise, Gaborik next to Plekanec
Play four forwards and no goalie They can't boo Price if he's on the bench and Gorges and Gill play goalie

Old
10-01-2010, 12:41 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
True but with Hammer coming off a contract we will have space for some new D. He needs to get over here soon though. We also gave up two D in McDo and Valentenko that might be in NY's lineup. It wasn't a bad deal, we got Gomez(attracted other UFAs) and Pyatt but our D was thinned out including the flop of Fisher.

I think Gaithier will need to get a D next spring with both Gill and Hammer UFAs. Hopefully they draft some talent on D and a big tough winger if possible. They are set at center for awhile time to take chances in the draft and try to find a home run.
True but will leave a big hole. If anything, we should try to sign him and rid of Spacek.....man I dislike that guy. Has for our depth on D, I don't like it at all. Weber is a decent prospect but is a wild card. Carle I'm not sure about......does nothing great and is not overly physical so AHL he goes. O'Byrne has it all but one key ingredient....hockey sense? Something is missing there. Henry is lke 30 AHLer. Tinordi is Jr bound and 2-3 years project. Nash was interesting but got cut. Aside from Subban, no other D stood out and made a case for themselves.

Closed Thread