Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-Season Game 5: vs Colorado, 9/30

Old
09-30-2010, 09:56 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Ya even if they win this I'm not buying it. They've been relying on Kari standing on his head, and with this much offensive firepower on the roster, they shouldn't be having such problems scoring against scrub AHL lineups.

Either Crawford's system or training regime is causing them to have problems, or the lack of a PMD is really hurting our transition game to the point where it hurts us this bad offensively.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Alistar

vCash: 500
Well apparently Dallas has like a 95% PK rate so far, so that's good. I don't think you could find 5 games last year in a row at any point where the Stars killed off penalties at that rate. The Goaltending has also been great with Lehtonen and Raycroft having good starts.

everything else needs work, and unfortunatly there's no time left.

The PK needs more work too. Just because everyone remembers the last two years.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:59 PM
19brichards91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
i'm a pens fan (i live in tx so that's why i pay attention to the stars) and in the 08 preseason after getting to the finals they didn't broadcast all the preseason games on the radio and on one i had to listen to the TB radio guy. good lord, i'd rather listen to the Avs guy every time over that dude.
...he's not that bad.

Richards...Lady Byng w/ 2 penalties?!

19brichards91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:00 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

yeah, a 3rd period win only cause lehtonen managed to get them that far. however after that first goal it seemed to finally kick in that they were still in the game and they started putting some more effort into it.

but another positive, no more avs guy!!

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:01 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19brichards91 View Post
...he's not that bad.

Richards...Lady Byng w/ 2 penalties?!
lol, he made me ears bleed. i felt lucky he was still learning the new guys names so he didn't have it down just yet like the Avs guy does with YIP!!!!!

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Well apparently Dallas has like a 95% PK rate so far, so that's good. I don't think you could find 5 games last year in a row at any point where the Stars killed off penalties at that rate. The Goaltending has also been great with Lehtonen and Raycroft having good starts.

everything else needs work, and unfortunatly there's no time left.

The PK needs more work too. Just because everyone remembers the last two years.
Believe the Ticket said they were 31 for 33 on the PK through 5 pre-season games, which is extremely impressive (pre-season or not).

Please God, let Kari stay healthy all season. He has been phenomenal in the two games that he has played.

But as you said, everything else is off. 2 extremely lucky goals, still don't know how the 2nd one went in. And the first one, had Ribs not failed on actually shooting it right when he got the puck, it would've never gone in. What is it with these 2 teams playing 2-1 games? All 3 pre-season games finished 2-1 with the home team winning. Going all Dallas/Vancouver ala 2007 on us.

Fun game that the Avs probably deserved to win. Shocked that the crowd was as big as it was for a Thursday night game. Dunno how the middle two home pre-season games were as I didn't make it out there, but compared to that first game...wow.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Heh, the Morrow fight didn't last long at all and he got one shot in after they were both down.

Kari played great, but everybody else was just ugh. The only notable thing in the first two periods was a couple nice chances around the net with Morrow and Ribeiro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Dunno how the middle two home pre-season games were as I didn't make it out there, but compared to that first game...wow.
I think there was roughly the same number of people there tonight as the last home game on Saturday.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:50 PM
User Name
Registered User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Is it time to be worried about our Offense? We've scored (so far) 9 goals in 5 games.
Going into game 5 Dallas had scored 10 goals vs 9 against. After 5 games it's 12 vs 10.

Not much difference, but it looks better.

Not much to worry about, this team is not expected to make the playoffs and if they do it's a bonus. If they don't it's a better draft pick. It's all about next year when they can spend on players.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
View from section 101: Ott and Richards both got mouthing off penalties (and Richards knew it was on him - it may have stemmed from him being knocked down behind the Avs net in the preceeding series and yappin about it). Ott continued to talk on the way to the box, though not in a way I found overly demonstrative, and got his extra 10 for it. Kozari called both penalties. Perhaps he has a short fuse.

Avs goal was not a great one to give up. They got 3-4 chances right around the edge of the crease because the Stars D (Robidas and Grossman) a.) both ended up covering one guy and b.) would not physically clear the players out, nor would the forwards. Lehtonen was not square to the shot when it finally came in, but that was because he couldn't be square to all four Avs guys around the crease at once.

Larsen showed skill and got a lot of PP time, but he's obviously still a year away. He's turnover happy and not quite sure where to put the puck for things around the boards. But he had a nice, subtle physical game (he's not going to knock anyone down, but he put a hip into guys who had him beat, knocking them off enough that a teammate could recover) and great skating ability with the puck. Give the kid a year on a NA rink, including many protein shakes and push ups, and he'll be ready.

Vincour was very big, but I didn't notice a lot about his skill set that stood out other than his skating ability given his size. He was willing to hit, which was nice, but most of that line's chances came from Ott or Benn. Nothing about him screamed "you must play me on opening night." He needs to work on his reaction speed a bit, but that is always an adjustment with NHL players, and Colorado played a good number of its regulars.

Grossman is absolutely making an effort to jump up into the offensive play, nailing the crest of Anderson's jersey nicely on a 3-on-1, and I saw Skrastins down in the offensive zone quite a few times as well. The downside is the forwards aren't dropping back when one of them comes down, which could lead to, well, BadThings after a turnover.

Richards' line, well, one of them, disappointed me. Neal is still not hitting at all, and he's being muscled off the puck. He wiffed on at least two shots in the slot tonight. You can tell teams are really marking him closely because he didn't have the time to get a shot off, and he was losing strength/leverage battles to Colorado players, which led to turnovers. He did spend some time of the PK and was solid there, which was nice to see.

Morrow looked a lot more like I remember him from 2008. He moved well enough, though he's not a fast guy, and was solid weaving around with Ribeiro. Burish didn't stand out to me on that line except for the pass for the winning goal, which was a very nice read of the play. He took a lead pass from Grossman and brought it down the right wing, cutting down the wall and dumping it into the crease from just below the goal line. Ribeiro is Ribeiro - thinking he can stickhandle through everyone and succeeding most of the time. His goal was kind of funny because he wiffed on the initial shot, which worked as a great fake and got Anderson out of position.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Grossman is absolutely making an effort to jump up into the offensive play, nailing the crest of Anderson's jersey nicely on a 3-on-1, and I saw Skrastins down in the offensive zone quite a few times as well.

Morrow looked a lot more like I remember him from 2008.
Exactly as it was in the intersquad game - these 3 were among the best on the ice. Very good signs. Grossman especially made a few offensive zone plays that I've never seen from him before.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:14 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
View from section 101:
How about that nice turnover from Ott that led to the breakaway against?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:30 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
But he had a nice, subtle physical game (he's not going to knock anyone down, but he put a hip into guys who had him beat, knocking them off enough that a teammate could recover) and great skating ability with the puck. Give the kid a year on a NA rink, including many protein shakes and push ups, and he'll be ready.
I noticed the same in his games late last season. In fact, I watched his defensive skills in those games more than his offense. His defending style reminded me of Zubov's (though obviously not as good yet).

Good poise. Smart positioning and angles with good, subtle use of knees, hips and stick to separate guys from the puck.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
How about that nice turnover from Ott that led to the breakaway against?
I had a straight-on view of that, but I struggled to tell how it happened, honestly (I was too low down to be able to tell vertical distance well). You could tell he was thinking "oh @*&$" by the way he scrambled backwards immediately, but I couldn't tell whether he missed a pass, was trying to drop it to the invisible point man or just mishandled the puck. The shooter also screened me from the save itself.

That was the downside of the active D - there were a lot of times there was only one point guy back, and a fair number of pucks went through the open point. It also left a lot of room for odd-man rushes against.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote