HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you want Souray if he was on re-entry waivers?

Old
10-01-2010, 03:19 PM
RandomJunkie

vCash: 500
Point taken.

But I still don't see why we should pick him up.

I'm also thinking, since we are weaker in front of the net (Price-Auld not as good as Halak-Price combo), we don't need defensemen who are not reliable in their own zone.

RandomJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I would want some assurances on his health. But assuming there was a reasonable expectation he'd play for us, then for sure, I'd want him on re-entry waivers.

But.

I wouldn't move Hamrlik to make room for him.

The way Spacek has shown and is continuing to show in pre-season, I *would* move Spacek to make room for him, however. Except *how* would I move Spacek? I doubt it's possible. Souray is significantly better than Spacek on offense, and so far as we've seen, not any worse on defense either. It's a no-brainer to me that we'd make that swap, if we could.

Practically speaking, however, I don't see us being able to do it. We've already got the team set up, and don't really have the flexibility to make it happen.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Universe
Eh?

Would be nice to see him on the PP again that's for sure.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I would want some assurances on his health. But assuming there was a reasonable expectation he'd play for us, then for sure, I'd want him on re-entry waivers.

But.

I wouldn't move Hamrlik to make room for him.

The way Spacek has shown and is continuing to show in pre-season, I *would* move Spacek to make room for him, however. Except *how* would I move Spacek? I doubt it's possible. Souray is significantly better than Spacek on offense, and so far as we've seen, not any worse on defense either. It's a no-brainer to me that we'd make that swap, if we could.

Practically speaking, however, I don't see us being able to do it. We've already got the team set up, and don't really have the flexibility to make it happen.
since he would basically replace Spacek, he'd have to play on the right side...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

At 2.7 I'd be interested, but the 3 years concern me. I'd rather suck up another year of Hammer and see what comes available next season. Let us not forget also if we do claim him and get him, we wouldn't even necessarily be able to trade him because I'm sure other teams would have put in a claim as well.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
At 2.7 I'd be interested, but the 3 years concern me. I'd rather suck up another year of Hammer and see what comes available next season. Let us not forget also if we do claim him and get him, we wouldn't even necessarily be able to trade him because I'm sure other teams would have put in a claim as well.
He only has 2 years left,the only way I would take him is if we would be able to move Spacek(also 2 years left) at 3.8 which we would even save on the cap.But like you said,I doubt teams in front of us don't put a claim on him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:51 PM
overlords
Hfboards

we dont need anymore PP weapons, we need someone who can actually play stay at home d.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
we dont need anymore PP weapons, we need someone who can actually play stay at home d.
But that's not on offer here. The question is more along the lines of whether we'd replace one of our weak PP weapons with a potentially stronger PP weapon. That should be an easy one to answer. The followup on how to do it is a lot harder, however.

Subban, Gorges, O'Byrne on the right, Souray, Hamrlik, Gill on the left. Not difficult to balance that way until Markov gets back. Esp. if Hamrlik is also out for a while. We're already pencilling Spacek in for a shift back to the left anyway. That part of it isn't a problem either.

But we don't have any way to move Spacek, and we don't have any other real way to create even $2.7M of cap space. Not any sensible way, at least. So it becomes a non-issue, Souray isn't coming to the Habs, hopefully we can all agree on that. It's not happening. This is just a fantasy land question. In fantasy land, sure we'd like Souray back. But it's not happening for real, not a chance.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

I would love it!

He's absolutely everything our defense lacks. A big shot (yes Subban has a big shot but not at Souray's level) and a much needed physical presence. The only points that are worth doubting is if he would really like to come back and his integration with the group that is installed here now.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:46 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
so that basically means his cap hit remains 2.7 m for the rest of his contract ? with edmonton keeping the other 2.7m in cap hit ?
yes.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Of course.

I would have claimed him and dumped Spacek.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

IMO: Souray betrayed us the way he left the ice so lackadaisically when we were on our final rush to make the playoffs against T.O. in 2007. He held his poor shoulder (violins) and skated on one skate and held his other skate in the air while headed to the bench. Meanwhile the player is waiting for him so he can jump on the ice to help on the rush.

We didn't get into OT and golfed.

@ Edmonton: "What am I doing here?"

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He also brings more physicality than Spacek too.

It would be tempting, but only if Spacegoat is gone, but that more than likely won't happen, so Souray isn't coming back here.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Harry Wong

How about Spacek for Souray after Souray clears reentry waivers?

How about offering Edmonton Spacek for Souray if he makes it through reentry waiver. Edmonton gets an asset which they presumably want. We get a canon for the PP and a heavyweight and maybe a 'native' mentor for Carey Price. Most important its' relatively cap neutral at half of Souray's salary for Spacek's.

Flame away ladies....

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Miller Time

If Souray does go through re-call waivers, and Spacek is looking as bad as he did the latter half of last season (and apparently this pre-season), it would be a no-brainer to grab him.

If we can trade Spacek somewhere great, but I doubt it (and that's just a reflection of how bad he's regressed, because it's not like >4M$ should be an unmovable contract for a half decent player), if not, why can't we just waive him and send him either to hamilton, or if he wants, loan him to a euro team?

i thinks it's ludicrous that teams even have that option, but as long as it's there, a GM looking to improve his team needs to consider it when players so badly underperform vis-a-vis their cap hit... that's the reality of a cap system.

Keeping Spacek this year and next, if he continues to play this way, is not a good move, and for a team raking in money hand over fist (on our backs) the way the habs are, they'd better be ok with eating that salary if it means improving the team.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:44 PM
GordonGraham

Yes claim him dump/ trade / waive Spacek

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:54 PM
clarke19

The main question is is he healthy? Why are people so open to ditching Spacek for this injury prone turnover machine?... not that Spacek has been great this preseason.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:11 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

the only reason him and Spacek are somewhat equivalent defensively is because Space isnt playing on his side...

Now, try to picture Souray on the right side... I mean, he's already atrocious on the left...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrdrg View Post
It's not even a risk. It's a waste of money. There's no "risk" of it going wrong, it WILL go wrong if the habs do this.

Souray would be on the 3rd pairing at best. Would you be interested in a guy like Bergeron for 2.7M except with actual injury concerns? I certainly wouldn't.
Besides, the only reason Souray performed in Montreal is because of Markov setting up because he's the real PP quarterback. And right now, Subban is the most logical pairing for Markov on the PP since he's a RD.
Life must be so much easier for you than the rest of us, being able to see into the future like this.

Woah, you're comparing Souray to MAB? I know Souray will never be known as a great overall defenseman but come on now. Souray brings a lot more to the table than MAB would or will.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Miller Time

people ranting about how bad souray is defensively obviously haven't watched him much since his last year in montreal...

in his only healthy season in Edmonton (08-09) he was much improved defensively than when he was with us. I don't if it's just because the system the Oilers used was different/more suited to his game, or if it's because he, like almost all dmen (at least the ones focused on getting better), improved his positional play over the years/as he gained more experience...

injuries are a fair argument against going after him, but to use his play from 07-08! as a reason is a little silly... and besides, he's not any more of a pylon than Gill is, and while Gill has mastered how to use his big stick to help offset his god-awful mobility, i'd say that Souray is just as good if not better defensively, way more physical, and obviously a far better offensive contributor.

as it is now, Gill is more useful to us than Spacek...

Souray > Gill > Spacek

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote