HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers might be interested in Souray on re-entry waivers

Old
10-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I'm not talking going full-rebuild. This year should be the end of our rebuild, in my opinion. We have a good core to center around, so why not throw away some of our older pieces that will not be a part of our future for a pick or two? Are you in favor of resigning Rozy after his contract is over? I'm not. Souray's contract ends at the same time. I think it's always worth keeping a steady flow of young talent, we should take advantage of this rare period of time where we're actually drafting good.
i get your thinking. But I dont think kids that we draft in 2011 are going to be an impact, certainly while Lundqvist is still at his peak, ect. So im just as happy keeping our current vets as stopgaps.

othersie i'd be advocating trying to pawn off Prospal and frolov for picks. i'd like to see the team win some games this season.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't see the correlation. If the Rangers serious about Souray, they're obviously comfortable with the idea of sending one or two of them down.
Cases could be made to send Sauer, McDonagh, Valentenko, and Gilroy all down. Its not like we have youngsters knocking down the door...all of them have some serious questions regarding if they're NHL ready at this point.

It wouldnt be a question of "too many defenseman"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Chalfdiggity3

I agree, there is no replacement for rosie or girardi they are the underrated players of our blueline.

I guess im part of the minority when i say that we should trade or send gilroy down to the ahl. I dont like his game, all he has is wheels. He doesnt see the ice well, cant shoot, doesnt make smart plays in the defensive zone, cant take the body, or play positional defence.. I think the blueline should look like this

Staal Girardi
Rosie Mdz
Mcd Sauer/valentenko

I think with mcd and either of sauer or valentenko it adds solid two way play as in defensive zone coverage and a nastiness in front of the net, along with some offensive upside.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
i get your thinking. But I dont think kids that we draft in 2011 are going to be an impact, certainly while Lundqvist is still at his peak, ect. So im just as happy keeping our current vets as stopgaps.

othersie i'd be advocating trying to pawn off Prospal and frolov for picks. i'd like to see the team win some games this season.
Depending on what Frolov does this season, I actually want him in our long-range plans... If he puts up 30, I wouldn't be against Sather giving him something like 3 year, $15M. You don't just let players with the grit and offensive ability of Frolov go. If he's successful this year, I'm sure he's going to stay.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:59 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
No. There's no comparison. I think that you can't just swap names from that era to this and say it all may end up the same, unless you are very very negative. You have a right to be, if that's the case, but Lampman does not equal Del Zotto. Obviously.

There is a culture change in the organization, there has been a solid core developing. There are superstars signed to long term deals. There is character in the locker room and on the ice.

It is very different.
I'm not saying it will all end up the same. I am however saying we've been in phases of rebuilds for quite some time and with nothing to really show for it. It's now where we finally have some kind of foundation in place; but again I ask...compared to the top teams out there will this foundation/pool that we are developing be among the best? During the Renney era it was a culture change as well. There was character during that era when Jagr was around. We got more out of Jagr as a captain than we got out of Drury as a captain.

It seems as if we go through waves of "rebuilds" as some of you like to call it and from the retooling we haven't had many players stick until of late. Late should be underline. Henrik came into this league when he was 23-24. He is now pushing 29.

Let's not forget that Tyutin was claimed to be the first comers of the rebuild. Which is what we called it again back then. If things were done properly ( asset managing, drafting, and even trades right before/after the lockout yr) it wouldn't be dragging like this.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:07 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm not saying it will all end up the same. I am however saying we've been in phases of rebuilds for quite some time and with nothing to really show for it. It's now where we finally have some kind of foundation in place; but again I ask...compared to the top teams out there will this foundation/pool that we are developing be among the best? During the Renney era it was a culture change as well. There was character during that era when Jagr was around. We got more out of Jagr as a captain than we got out of Drury as a captain.

It seems as if we go through waves of "rebuilds" as some of you like to call it and from the retooling we haven't had many players stick until of late. Late should be underline. Henrik came into this league when he was 23-24. He is now pushing 29.

Let's not forget that Tyutin was claimed to be the first comers of the rebuild. Which is what we called it again back then. If things were done properly ( asset managing, drafting, and even trades right before/after the lockout yr) it wouldn't be dragging like this.
Ah. I got you.

I hope that, as it seems, this time they got it right.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:30 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
ugh. when you put it that way it doesnt sound very smart does it ? but, yes. i know im going out on a limb here but heres why i say yes.

eminger
gilroy
rozy

i mean are those guys going to make us that much better defensively? really ? i dont think so. unless we are signing a real solid vet defender, those are our other choices.

i think that mcd will be one of our best defenders by christmas. i truly do. hes going to be solid. even as a rookie. so to me, not that big a deal. hes got game.

sauer, although unproven, seems to have gotten it right this camp so far. hes showing the solid defensive play that this organization knew he had. at 6'3 220 hes got the ideal projectable frame for an nhl defender. again, hes proven nothing but, i like what i see so far.

vtank again, same thing. big body. defense first. i like a rotation with him, sauer and mcd. between the 3 of them, im not concerned.

is it a risk playing 3 rookies ? yes. but, mcd seems ready and sauer has been around awhile. hes 23 yrs old. and the thing that impresses me about these 3 young bucks is their size. and all of them are defense first guys- kinda like the anti-gilroys. and if you are going to play a young defender, having them play conservative defense first allows them to simplify their games and in fact, thats what this team needs. simple, steady, physical, defensive zone, dmen.

mcd 6'1 220
sauer 6'3 220
vtank 6'2 220

i tell them keep it simple, chip it out, off the glass when pressured, make a good first pass, follow the play, keep the opponent between you and hank and when you see a chance to lay someone out, run through them.

we have an elite goaltender. hes used to playing big. hell need to continue to do that like usual.

its a gamble i know but souray makes our pp dangerous. if we can eliminate rozy and add souray, its a win win for us.

rely on the 3 young, strong defenseman and transform the powerplay into a game changer.

thats what i would do this season.
This is well argued and pretty logical. The condition is he would HAVE to replace Roszi. We'd be guaranteeing worse D but not THAT much worse. Conversely he's a much better PP guy than what we have. In this case I'd have no prob. Just flat out taking him now w/out getting rid of Roszi or anything is a horrible choice. Blocks a prospect, cap hit, worse D, etc.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 02:45 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

i personally think McDonagh should play 1 yr in the A.
Sauer & Valentenko have looked better IMO.
Also, they need a RH and LH, not two LHs.
Plus it will add a bunch of nastiness in front of the net.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
i personally think McDonagh should play 1 yr in the A.
Sauer & Valentenko have looked better IMO.
Also, they need a RH and LH, not two LHs.
Plus it will add a bunch of nastiness in front of the net.
i personally would love that as our 3rd pairing.. good nastiness in front of the net and sound defensively who could shutdown oppositions 3rd and 4th lines.. that plus i just dont like gilroy, i dont care how much hes shown he has improved in the preseason, hes 26yo and all the kid has is wheels, he cant shoot, and cant play defense.. if your a defensman you MUST know how to defend and play positionally, he does none of that and my opinion is he should play in the a till we have an injury or he can show he can play both sides of the puck. He just adds nothing to this team. Sauer, McD, and Valentenko add MUCH more, can play defense and play it with a edge that we have been missing since BOOM BOOM in addition to that they can add some offense to the team as well with valentenkos nasty boom of a shot.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:01 PM
egelband

maybe this guy needs a change of scenery. for some reason, some guys just don't like playing in places like edmonton...the big apple could do wonders for a souray. i'm speculating. just a thought.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
maybe this guy needs a change of scenery. for some reason, some guys just don't like playing in places like edmonton...the big apple could do wonders for a souray. i'm speculating. just a thought.
Change of scenery.......same thing we heard with Redden and Naslund and we know how both of those situations turned out

Thats just an excuse for signing players nothing more....someone like Frolov may get a boost because of a change of scenery not players who show that they are done....

Souray doesn't have much left and with our young promising d-core this is a big fat pass imo

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Change of scenery.......same thing we heard with Redden and Naslund and we know how both of those situations turned out

Thats just an excuse for signing players nothing more....someone like Frolov may get a boost because of a change of scenery not players who show that they are done....

Souray doesn't have much left and with our young promising d-core this is a big fat pass imo
Not that it really matters because he won't make it to us if he is put on re-entry waivers BUT what if the Rangers could move Rozsival and add Souray? Same length on the contract and Souray would be cheaper and add snarl to the back-end.

Staal-Souray
MDZ-Girardi
McDonagh-Gilroy
Sauer

That looks very good. Even if Souray gets hurt, they have Eminger, Sauer and Valentenko to play some games until he gets back. I would sign up for that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:42 PM
BobSantos

I don't get the Rozsival hate. I don't get it I don't get it.

Souray and Rozsy are comparable in terms of points over their careers. Souray is two years older. Rozsy is +44 career. Souray is -52.

The numbers don't lie in this case. Michal can play D and when he's on, he's good. Souray would be a bad move.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id take him on re-entry for sure. that bomb at the point is worth 2.7 mil even if you only play him on the PP. but i dont know how you make the cap hit work though.
White to minors

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 05:06 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I agree. Lets have McDonagh and Valentenko fight for a spot all camp, only to give it away to this scrub who doesn't play defense and had 4 goals last year.

Good "earn your spot" mentality.
i don't want souray, the fact that the oilers didn't invite him to camp tells me that he's toxic and we don't want him around our kids.

that said the only scenario in which claiming him on re-entry waivers would be if we could deal either rosy or girardi in a package for a center and then souray replaces them on the blueline but the same prospect(s) play.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
White to minors
even with white to the minors, i dont know how it works...not with 23 players anyway.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
even with white to the minors, i dont know how it works...not with 23 players anyway.
well honestly, cap wise it would work. but would adding another D-Man really help us at this point? that's what i'm worried about. Adding Souray would most likely mean that McD wouldn't be playing.

i wouldn't mind this

Del Zotto Staal
Souray Roszival
McD Girardi
Gilroy
Eminger

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:42 AM
AJRanger

Not sure if this has been mentioned;

Quote:
The New York Rangers are likely interested in Souray after dumping Wade Redden's $6.5-million salary, and not just because Doug Risebrough, their pro scout, has seen the Oilers play four straight games.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...743/story.html

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:53 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned;

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...743/story.html
Saw it earlier this morning but Souray is not playing right now(he's home in southern California)and the Rangers aren't interested in trading for Souray.

Risebrough does live in Minnesota which isn't far from Edmonton.

Not really sure what Matheson is reporting.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:53 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
We already have enough guys vying 5-7 spots why do we need 1 more? Unless you can trade Rozi and replace him with Souray this doesn't make sense at all.
Agreed. Otherwise I want nothing to do with him.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:02 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Saw it earlier this morning but Souray is not playing right now(he's home in southern California)and the Rangers aren't interested in trading for Souray.

Risebrough does live in Minnesota which isn't far from Edmonton.

Not really sure what Matheson is reporting.
Yeah, thought that myself when I first read it. Figured he was either watching someone else or having words after the game(s).

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:21 PM
free0717

I would have done Rozival for Souray and Edmonton would have gone for it. With our depth of Dmen, we could have made it up if he was injured and when Souray is in the lineup, his point shot is deadly.

free0717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 07:41 PM
NYR Viper

The guys on HNIC just said the Rangers will be interested in Souray if he is put on re-entry waivers. They were the only team they mentioned.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I would have done Rozival for Souray and Edmonton would have gone for it. With our depth of Dmen, we could have made it up if he was injured and when Souray is in the lineup, his point shot is deadly.

Why would we increase our salary cap? How will trading Rosie for Sour help us win a playoff round or even a playoff game?

I really think that it will be much easier to deal Rosie than Sour. When we get closer to the trading deadline, I can see a team taking Rosie. He'll have just one season to go (and two playoffs), so his cap hit won't be that harmful.

And his actual salary will be very reasonable $3.

I can definitely see someone wanting Rosie if he has a decent season.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 08:25 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
The guys on HNIC just said the Rangers will be interested in Souray if he is put on re-entry waivers. They were the only team they mentioned.
They probably read that in the NY Post. Which guys?I saw Milbury and Hrudey on there with McLean last night.

Quote:
An NHL executive on Edmonton D Sheldon Souray, who has two years and $9 million left on his contract: “There is no way I would touch him without seeing him play. Even on re-entry waivers, it’s a two-year commitment and a lot of money ($4.5 million).”
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock...-15562906.html

Agreed.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote