HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

OT: Posting Pet Peeves

Old
10-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Flyskippy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Another one I've seen is "common!" instead of "come on!" As an editor, I've quietly cringed over the apostricides and other grammar things.

Others:
  • Arbitrary profanity rules; I saw the dreaded asterisk knock out the first word of "p-u-s-s-y-footing" used completely appropriately, but "christ" gets a free pass.
  • Enormously wide pics that push the scroll bar off the side of the screen.
  • When nobody acknowledges my hilarious/amazingly insightful/genius posts.
I imagine there are still a few folks around who don't view that as a cussword.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:39 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
On the topic of offensive words, I don't like when people who use "retarded" or "retard" one single bit. I find it completely inappropriate.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
On the topic of offensive words, I don't like when people who use "retarded" or "retard" one single bit. I find it completely inappropriate.
Depends on how they are using it. If it is within the proper context (http://www.tfd.com/retardation), that's fine. But most usage is disparaging, you're right.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:44 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
I'm guilty of this more often than I'd like to be, but it is something I'm conscious of and always try to remind myself not to do. The way most people throw it around really is fairly offensive, if you think about it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:52 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
What a great opportunity to post a screen shot from one of my all-time favourite commercials:

Great googly moogly!

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
"Timmonen"
I'm guilty of this one. No matter how many times I type it, I can't remember it. It's like a brain block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I also like "should of".
Yeah, this one gets me too. As well as "irregardless". I've finally broken my husband of that.

Quote:
What a great opportunity to post a screen shot from one of my all-time favourite commercials:

BAH! Beat me to it!! I loved that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
Ok... that friggin' gif put me into a 10 minute giggle fit. My husband is looking at me like I'm a lunatic. That is so friggin' funny and I really may end up abusing that in threads.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
"They Minus well waive Walker"
Quote:

I have never seen that or "minus well", but they're epic -- I mean, amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Seriously?! I've never seen that one, but I'd howl if I did.
Here's one, notice the guys 11,000+ post count.

and another.

posts 414-418, lol this one is good.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:56 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyskippy
Obviously, context is everything, but if the powers that be are calling everything else so close ... ??

It's a shame.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:50 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
spelling the players' names wrong is a bad one, especially if they play for your fav team
who is that in your avatar?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:58 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Were all loosers.
I know a woman who is a technology officer for a company with 1200 employees who uses that.

"We need to document this project or we will loose control of it!" and "We're loosing the battle to maintain redundancy."

It is amazing.

Quote:

A Classic for the Ages.

Quote:
Hear, hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Gonna use that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
And that!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Yeah, this one gets me too. As well as "irregardless". I've finally broken my husband of that.
Every time I have the "irregardless" conversation, I note that my teacher in English Comp II class spent almost an entire class period talking about how that's not a word.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Your a moran... eh, I got nothing. I'm at peace with the Universe and won't get up in arms over these kind of banalities any longer.

People who refuses to use any punctuation, however, that's a completely different thing. I can overdo it sometimes, throwing in as many commas as I can fit, but to just ramble on without any kind of structure to the sentences, that's just insane. Insane I say!

Edit: Another thing I can't stand are when people are unable to quote someone correctly. I mean, how difficult can it be?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

oh and

Olny srmat poelpe can raed this.
I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in the r ghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed this psas it on !!

Old
10-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
oh and

Olny srmat poelpe can raed this.
I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in the r ghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed this psas it on !!
Old. =P

It is interesting though. One thing that's always bugged me is how people misspell the name 'Staal' all the time. It's like people can't realize the difference between the stall you **** in and the Staals that play professional ice hockey. Considering how many Staals are in the league just how good some of them are, I frankly expect any knowledgeable hockey fan to know how to properly spell them. Especially since they're relatively easy to spell.

I also can't stand debating with self-proclaimed hockey fans or Flyers fans that don't care enough to follow the rest of the league or are too lackadaisical to follow the game (yes, I realize a lot of people don't have the time to follow them as much as I do).

What's the worst though is talking to a hockey fan face-to-face who thinks that he knows what he's talking about when he really doesn't. My two best friends are examples of this. Here's some conversations I'll paraphrase to the best of my ability:

Friend: "I heard Malkin might be traded this summer (09-10 off-season)."

Me: "Uh...where'd you hear that?"

Friend: "Malkin said it during an interview."

Me: "I highly doubt that happens. It doesn't make sense at all."

Friend: "Yes it does. He said he's tired of all the politics associated with the Pens organization."

Me: "Yeah...that sounds like bs. I'd be willing to bet almost all the money I have in my savings account that Malkin won't be traded. I'll make the bet right now because I'm that certain."

Friend: "Dude, I'm not gonna make a bet over something that might not even happen. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying that Malkin wants out."

Or during a discussion of whether Crosby is the best player in the league or not, a topic that both of my best friends (one a Flyers fan and one a Caps/Coyotes fan) are both insanely biased about to the point of ridiculousness.

Me: "He's tied for the league lead in goals and he's had over 100 points in practically every year of his career."

Friend: "He isn't a good goal-scorer. Look at Crosby's goals that he scores on nhl.com. Almost all of his goals are garbage goals. I'm also pretty sure that he hasn't scored 100 points in all of his seasons. (later on I find out that there is one year that he only got 73 points...while missing practically 30 games)"

Note that this "he only scores garbage goals" excuse is applied to pretty much any player whose goal scoring ability he wants to instantly discredit.

What's funny is that this same guy actually watches KHL hockey. Usually you'd figure that someone who goes to the lengths of watching KHL hockey in the USA would actually know about the players. Guess not.

I honestly gave up even discussing hockey with anyone I know in real life because practically everyone I know in real life either doesn't follow it (my brother used to play hockey, but doesn't follow the NHL or pro hockey at all), is a casual fan (my mother for instance or my girlfriend), or is a self-proclaimed fan that, despite watching games, has no ****ing clue what they're talking about (my two best friends). That's why I talk about it on here so much.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 10-02-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Old. =P

It is interesting though. One thing that's always bugged me is how people misspell the name 'Staal' all the time. It's like people can't realize the difference between the stall you **** in and the Staals that play professional ice hockey. Considering how many Staals are in the league just how good some of them are, I frankly expect any knowledgeable hockey fan to know how to properly spell them. Especially since they're relatively easy to spell.

I also can't stand debating with self-proclaimed hockey fans or Flyers fans that don't care enough to follow the rest of the league or are too lackadaisical to follow the time (yes, I realize a lot of people don't have the time to follow them as much as I do).

What's the worst though is talking to a hockey fan face-to-face who thinks that he knows what he's talking about when he really doesn't. My two best friends are examples of this. Here's some conversations I'll paraphrase to the best of my ability:
yeah I know its old.
we have people at work who think they know the game, and then they cant even name 5 Bruins.

Old
10-02-2010, 08:08 AM
MsWoof

Offsides, onsides and who's in nets? WTF is with the "s" on the end of these words?

Also, lack of punctuation, lack of apostrophes and inverted letters. We all **** up occassionally but how hard is it to skim over a post before posting?

Oh and if I ****ed up any of this post it's because I'm typing on my BlackBerry! If someone can blame the iPhone I can do it, too!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:00 PM
BernieParent

Another overused word is "literally", in opposite, unnecessary ways:
  • with a statement that cannot be taken any other way ("The sun is literally shining out there!")
  • with a statement that isn't literal at all ("He has been literally sucking all season!")

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:58 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
When people type ",,,,," instead of "....."

Is your period key broken?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
when people say michael leighton is a good starting goalie.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 04:13 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
when people say michael leighton is a good starting goalie.
My own father asked me, what was wrong with him being the starter. I just told him that in time he will see why he isn't good.

Old
10-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
When people type ",,,,," instead of "....."

Is your period key broken?
When people type "....." instead of "..." since there is only supposed to be 3.

Old
10-02-2010, 07:49 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I've wanted to mutilate anyone who says "fail" or "epic fail" for a long time now.

10-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I've wanted to mutilate anyone who says "fail" or "epic fail" for a long time now.
How do you feel about people who say "epic fail"? I personally wouldn't mind watching you murder them.

Old
10-03-2010, 12:03 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
You got me there

Old
10-03-2010, 12:21 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
I'm guilty of that. I don't think about it, and it's not that I don't know an ellipses is only 3. I just hit period a bunch of times.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote