HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Theodore, a possible choice?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
  #101
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,568
vCash: 500
Oilers fan here, just curious how long Leighton is supposed to be out? I thought I read a month somewhere, is this true? Or shorter?

Also, I can attest to the poster who was referencing Gerber in camp...he looked very solid in the games he played in camp, but most likely not worth it for you guys...I actually think he could be a little better stop-gap goalie than Boucher but why sign take on another contract when at BEST you get someone slightly better for a month...or worse, he ends up being no better than Boucher

SDig14 is offline  
Old
10-01-2010, 08:30 PM
  #102
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,452
vCash: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Oilers fan here, just curious how long Leighton is supposed to be out? I thought I read a month somewhere, is this true? Or shorter?

Also, I can attest to the poster who was referencing Gerber in camp...he looked very solid in the games he played in camp, but most likely not worth it for you guys...I actually think he could be a little better stop-gap goalie than Boucher but why sign take on another contract when at BEST you get someone slightly better for a month...or worse, he ends up being no better than Boucher
Estimated at a month. The original diagnosis was just a couple of days until the medical staff reevaluated the MRIs. The team likes Bobrovsky, and he's had an impressive camp, it's a matter of more seasoning on the AHL level or possibly riding the pine at the NHL level if Boucher is the starter. Backlund, the other goalie, has been hurt much of camp and he could be the designated reserve once the regular season starts. With just two back-to-back games in October, it's likely Boucher for one role.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
10-01-2010, 09:40 PM
  #103
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,075
vCash: 500
Theo just signed 1 year with the Wild, according to TSN.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 01:18 AM
  #104
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Theo just signed 1 year with the Wild, according to TSN.
One year, $1.1M. Not bad for a training camp signing.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 01:50 AM
  #105
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,122
vCash: 500
So...our GM was so worried about negotiating in an open market that he signed one of the worst ones out there before free agency even started. The last quality free agent goalie didn't get signed/retire/whatever until October 2nd.

Smart thinking Holmgren.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 07:56 AM
  #106
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Well at least this can be put to bed now. Hopefully the Guerin thread will be the next one.

jd2210 is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 09:06 AM
  #107
ashamsmashem
Registered User
 
ashamsmashem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
shelley=theodore. lol.

ashamsmashem is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 09:45 AM
  #108
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,895
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Niemi and Leighton were the Stanley cup goaltenders. Can we stop arguing about goalies? In the cap NHL, who your goalie is is about as important as who your mop up reliever is in baseball. It's all about scoring and defensive depth now.
And there was a pretty significant difference between Niemi and Leighton when it came to crunch time, so yes it does matter. Goalies who can't make big saves in tough spots is a pretty important conundrum.

GKJ is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 09:54 AM
  #109
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,369
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
And there was a pretty significant difference between Niemi and Leighton when it came to crunch time, so yes it does matter. Goalies who can't make big saves in tough spots is a pretty important conundrum.
I'd have to disagree with this. Aside from game two, Niemi was playing at the same level as Leighton. Yes Leighton let up a soft goal that ended the series, but that doesn't mean he played so much worse than Niemi. I honestly believe, and I have said this before, that if the Flyers didn't lose on that goal, no one would be talking about how bad Leighton is. The reason everyone is (was) up in arms about Leighton was because he let in a bad goal at a bad time. If he had done that in the first period of game 1, no one would remember it. Wrong place at the wrong time. Leighton was but one reason for losing the Cup. Kane scored a one in a million fluke goal. End of story.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:00 AM
  #110
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,895
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd have to disagree with this. Aside from game two, Niemi was playing at the same level as Leighton. Yes Leighton let up a soft goal that ended the series, but that doesn't mean he played so much worse than Niemi. I honestly believe, and I have said this before, that if the Flyers didn't lose on that goal, no one would be talking about how bad Leighton is. The reason everyone is (was) up in arms about Leighton was because he let in a bad goal at a bad time. If he had done that in the first period of game 1, no one would remember it. Wrong place at the wrong time. Leighton was but one reason for losing the Cup. Kane scored a one in a million fluke goal. End of story.
You're missing the point: Niemi made more saves when the Blackhawks needed them. As bad as both goalies were, the difference between the two is just, well it's obvious if you watch hockey. Yeah, neither goaltender was very good, but the true mark of a winner is answering the bell when the chips are down. Niemi despite having a bad game was locked in in the third period of Game 1. One of Niemi's hallmarks is that bad goals don't really affect him, while with Leighton it snowballs. Niemi sometimes has trouble getting it together, but when he does he is as good as anyone else. Niemi also stole Game 2, which for Cup-winning teams happens at some point, and that's also something Leighton never did.

However, it's not as simple as going back on youtube and re-watching each goal and counting which ones are or are not soft goals.

GKJ is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:02 AM
  #111
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You're missing the point: Niemi made more saves when the Blackhawks needed them. As bad as both goalies were, the difference between the two is just, well it's obvious if you watch hockey. Yeah, neither goaltender was very good, but the true mark of a winner is answering the bell when the chips are down. Niemi despite having a bad game was locked in in the third period of Game 1. One of Niemi's hallmarks is that bad goals don't really affect him, while with Leighton it snowballs. Niemi sometimes has trouble getting it together, but when he does he is as good as anyone else. Niemi also stole Game 2, which for Cup-winning teams happens at some point, and that's also something Leighton never did.

It's not a simple as going back on youtube and re-watching each goal and counting which ones are or are not soft goals.
Meh they were both freaking awful.

HoverCarle* is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
  #112
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,895
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Meh they were both freaking awful.

You quoted me, but did you actually read what was said?

There was a clear line: It is why you don't need all-star goalies to win in this league. Your goalie only needs to be good enough to not lose games for you, and that was the difference between Niemi and Leighton.

GKJ is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
  #113
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,944
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd have to disagree with this. Aside from game two, Niemi was playing at the same level as Leighton. Yes Leighton let up a soft goal that ended the series, but that doesn't mean he played so much worse than Niemi. I honestly believe, and I have said this before, that if the Flyers didn't lose on that goal, no one would be talking about how bad Leighton is. The reason everyone is (was) up in arms about Leighton was because he let in a bad goal at a bad time. If he had done that in the first period of game 1, no one would remember it. Wrong place at the wrong time. Leighton was but one reason for losing the Cup. Kane scored a one in a million fluke goal. End of story.
the Sharp goal in game 6 was freakin terrible as well. I remember that one. Leighton was pulled twice in the Cup Final. When was the last time that happened? never?. I am not saying Niemi was good by any means, but Leighton was much worse then Niemi. If the Flyers had Niemi and the Hawks had Leighton we would have had the parade down Broad Street.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:11 AM
  #114
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You quoted me, but did you actually read what was said?

There was a clear line: It is why you don't need all-star goalies to win in this league. Your goalie only needs to be good enough to not lose games for you, and that was the difference between Niemi and Leighton.
Yeah I read what you said. I really dont think Niemi made that many saves when they were needed. We tied it up in the 3rd to force OT didnt we? If Leighton hadnt had the ultimate brain fart, they would be considered equally awful

HoverCarle* is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:13 AM
  #115
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
goaltending is not important. The flyers are fine. The team makes the goalie.

jb** is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:14 AM
  #116
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Homer was not interested in Niemi so why would he pick Theo over Boucher? He rather stay loyal.

People actually thought that Leighton was playing on t he same level as Niemi? No wonder Flyers do not have solid goaltending. Fans just simply do not get it, what one period or one save can do to the game. Niemi was doing it and Leighton was not


By the way it was very funny when a fan asked both Leihgton and Boucher what both did during summer to get better, during that meet the Flyers show. Did anyone catch that? Boucher simply pointed at Leighton like.. I am not answering this and Leighton just started talking about Flyers D.

Kaktus* is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:17 AM
  #117
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,895
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah I read what you said. I really dont think Niemi made that many saves when they were needed. We tied it up in the 3rd to force OT didnt we?
Yeah, Hartnell scored the tying goal that forced OT.

What happened 30 seconds after that?

GKJ is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:17 AM
  #118
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
OFFER NOT DONE YET:

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=335971

Pasted Below:


Jose Theodore has an offer from the Minnesota Wild, but the team says there is no deal yet.

According to a report in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher has made a contract offer to the free-agent goaltender, but he says contrary to reports, Theodore has not agreed to terms yet.

Montreal radio station CKAC had reported that the Wild had signed Theodore to a one-year, $1.1 million contract.

The Wild need a backup plan after losing Josh Harding for the season.

The 33-year old Theodore posted a 30-7-7 record with a 2.81 goals against average and a .911 save percentage in 47 games with the Washington Capitals last season.

The Laval, Quebec native enjoyed his best season in 2001-02 when he captured both the Hart and Vezina trophies while with the Montreal Canadiens.

The Wild are currently practicing in Finland, set to face Finnish side Tampere on Monday before opening their season against the Hurricanes on Thursday in Helsinki.

The Wild were in the market for a backup netminder when Harding tore both his ACL and MCL last month in a pre-season contest with the St. Louis Blues when he collided with Blues' forward Brad Boyes. Harding will undergo surgery and is expected to miss the entire season.


Last edited by dingbathero: 10-02-2010 at 10:24 AM.
dingbathero is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:29 AM
  #119
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be surprised if they just used Kuhbonen or however you spell it as a backup if they can't work out a deal with Theodore.

jd2210 is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 10:30 AM
  #120
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,895
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
OFFER NOT DONE YET:
Yes it is.

GKJ is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 11:50 AM
  #121
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,369
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You're missing the point: Niemi made more saves when the Blackhawks needed them. As bad as both goalies were, the difference between the two is just, well it's obvious if you watch hockey. Yeah, neither goaltender was very good, but the true mark of a winner is answering the bell when the chips are down. Niemi despite having a bad game was locked in in the third period of Game 1. One of Niemi's hallmarks is that bad goals don't really affect him, while with Leighton it snowballs. Niemi sometimes has trouble getting it together, but when he does he is as good as anyone else. Niemi also stole Game 2, which for Cup-winning teams happens at some point, and that's also something Leighton never did.

However, it's not as simple as going back on youtube and re-watching each goal and counting which ones are or are not soft goals.
Leighton made some good saves in the series too. It isn't as easy as saying Niemi made the saves he needed to and Leighton didn't. This may not be the best argument in the world, but if the Flyers had won no one would be talking about how bad Leighton was. People are just looking for someone to blame. And not that he is without blame, but he is not the only reason the team lost. If Richards, Carter, or Gagne put some goals in or if the team had a third defensive pairing, the Flyers could have easily overcome all the one goal games. No one is saying how terrible Richards is or how glad they are that Gagne is gone because he didn't score the goals in the finals. Leighton played well all season (for the Flyers) and had a bad finals. But he is not the reason the team lost and he did not play so much worse than Niemi.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 12:57 PM
  #122
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,944
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Leighton made some good saves in the series too. It isn't as easy as saying Niemi made the saves he needed to and Leighton didn't. This may not be the best argument in the world, but if the Flyers had won no one would be talking about how bad Leighton was. People are just looking for someone to blame. And not that he is without blame, but he is not the only reason the team lost. If Richards, Carter, or Gagne put some goals in or if the team had a third defensive pairing, the Flyers could have easily overcome all the one goal games. No one is saying how terrible Richards is or how glad they are that Gagne is gone because he didn't score the goals in the finals. Leighton played well all season (for the Flyers) and had a bad finals. But he is not the reason the team lost and he did not play so much worse than Niemi.
the Flyers offense did their job. 22 goals in 6 games should be enough. yes the top line didnt score enough, but the Hawks shut down every teams top line in the playoffs. So its up to the other forwards to pick it up. Which they did. Goaltending let the Flyers down in the playoffs. again.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 01:01 PM
  #123
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Flyers offense has been the primary reason they haven't won a Cup in 30 years, not their goaltending.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=797081

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 02:04 PM
  #124
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Well at least this can be put to bed now. Hopefully the Guerin thread will be the next one.
Put to bed or put out to pasture?

Larry44 is offline  
Old
10-02-2010, 02:20 PM
  #125
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,895
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Leighton made some good saves in the series too. It isn't as easy as saying Niemi made the saves he needed to and Leighton didn't. This may not be the best argument in the world, but if the Flyers had won no one would be talking about how bad Leighton was. People are just looking for someone to blame. And not that he is without blame, but he is not the only reason the team lost. If Richards, Carter, or Gagne put some goals in or if the team had a third defensive pairing, the Flyers could have easily overcome all the one goal games. No one is saying how terrible Richards is or how glad they are that Gagne is gone because he didn't score the goals in the finals. Leighton played well all season (for the Flyers) and had a bad finals. But he is not the reason the team lost and he did not play so much worse than Niemi.
I'm not talking about Gagne or Richards, or whoever else. I'm talking about the goaltending. And ours was outplayed, outplayed during games, and outplayed in clutch situations. You say how bad both goaltenders were, but Richards' line was not scoring? Briere, Leino, and Hartnell were unconscious, they got goals from freaken Betts and Asham in Game 1, they got a couple big goals from Giroux. They did get a goal from Gagne in Game 2, that would have tied the game if Leighton didn't give up his second worst goal of the series to Ben Eager less than a minute after Hossa scored. Again, big saves in big moments, direct opposite from what I mentioned about Niemi earlier where he made a huge save on Carter. More of a complaint than the lack of offense from Richards, Gagne, and Carter is the lack of defense from Gagne, Richards, and Carter.

GKJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.