HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Theodore, a possible choice?

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Oilers fan here, just curious how long Leighton is supposed to be out? I thought I read a month somewhere, is this true? Or shorter?

Also, I can attest to the poster who was referencing Gerber in camp...he looked very solid in the games he played in camp, but most likely not worth it for you guys...I actually think he could be a little better stop-gap goalie than Boucher but why sign take on another contract when at BEST you get someone slightly better for a month...or worse, he ends up being no better than Boucher

Old
10-01-2010, 08:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Oilers fan here, just curious how long Leighton is supposed to be out? I thought I read a month somewhere, is this true? Or shorter?

Also, I can attest to the poster who was referencing Gerber in camp...he looked very solid in the games he played in camp, but most likely not worth it for you guys...I actually think he could be a little better stop-gap goalie than Boucher but why sign take on another contract when at BEST you get someone slightly better for a month...or worse, he ends up being no better than Boucher
Estimated at a month. The original diagnosis was just a couple of days until the medical staff reevaluated the MRIs. The team likes Bobrovsky, and he's had an impressive camp, it's a matter of more seasoning on the AHL level or possibly riding the pine at the NHL level if Boucher is the starter. Backlund, the other goalie, has been hurt much of camp and he could be the designated reserve once the regular season starts. With just two back-to-back games in October, it's likely Boucher for one role.

Old
10-01-2010, 09:40 PM
BernieParent

Theo just signed 1 year with the Wild, according to TSN.

Old
10-02-2010, 01:18 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Theo just signed 1 year with the Wild, according to TSN.
One year, $1.1M. Not bad for a training camp signing.

Old
10-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Garbage Goal

So...our GM was so worried about negotiating in an open market that he signed one of the worst ones out there before free agency even started. The last quality free agent goalie didn't get signed/retire/whatever until October 2nd.

Smart thinking Holmgren.

Old
10-02-2010, 07:56 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Well at least this can be put to bed now. Hopefully the Guerin thread will be the next one.

Old
10-02-2010, 09:06 AM
ashamsmashem

shelley=theodore. lol.

Old
10-02-2010, 09:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Niemi and Leighton were the Stanley cup goaltenders. Can we stop arguing about goalies? In the cap NHL, who your goalie is is about as important as who your mop up reliever is in baseball. It's all about scoring and defensive depth now.
And there was a pretty significant difference between Niemi and Leighton when it came to crunch time, so yes it does matter. Goalies who can't make big saves in tough spots is a pretty important conundrum.

Old
10-02-2010, 09:54 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
And there was a pretty significant difference between Niemi and Leighton when it came to crunch time, so yes it does matter. Goalies who can't make big saves in tough spots is a pretty important conundrum.
I'd have to disagree with this. Aside from game two, Niemi was playing at the same level as Leighton. Yes Leighton let up a soft goal that ended the series, but that doesn't mean he played so much worse than Niemi. I honestly believe, and I have said this before, that if the Flyers didn't lose on that goal, no one would be talking about how bad Leighton is. The reason everyone is (was) up in arms about Leighton was because he let in a bad goal at a bad time. If he had done that in the first period of game 1, no one would remember it. Wrong place at the wrong time. Leighton was but one reason for losing the Cup. Kane scored a one in a million fluke goal. End of story.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd have to disagree with this. Aside from game two, Niemi was playing at the same level as Leighton. Yes Leighton let up a soft goal that ended the series, but that doesn't mean he played so much worse than Niemi. I honestly believe, and I have said this before, that if the Flyers didn't lose on that goal, no one would be talking about how bad Leighton is. The reason everyone is (was) up in arms about Leighton was because he let in a bad goal at a bad time. If he had done that in the first period of game 1, no one would remember it. Wrong place at the wrong time. Leighton was but one reason for losing the Cup. Kane scored a one in a million fluke goal. End of story.
You're missing the point: Niemi made more saves when the Blackhawks needed them. As bad as both goalies were, the difference between the two is just, well it's obvious if you watch hockey. Yeah, neither goaltender was very good, but the true mark of a winner is answering the bell when the chips are down. Niemi despite having a bad game was locked in in the third period of Game 1. One of Niemi's hallmarks is that bad goals don't really affect him, while with Leighton it snowballs. Niemi sometimes has trouble getting it together, but when he does he is as good as anyone else. Niemi also stole Game 2, which for Cup-winning teams happens at some point, and that's also something Leighton never did.

However, it's not as simple as going back on youtube and re-watching each goal and counting which ones are or are not soft goals.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:02 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
You're missing the point: Niemi made more saves when the Blackhawks needed them. As bad as both goalies were, the difference between the two is just, well it's obvious if you watch hockey. Yeah, neither goaltender was very good, but the true mark of a winner is answering the bell when the chips are down. Niemi despite having a bad game was locked in in the third period of Game 1. One of Niemi's hallmarks is that bad goals don't really affect him, while with Leighton it snowballs. Niemi sometimes has trouble getting it together, but when he does he is as good as anyone else. Niemi also stole Game 2, which for Cup-winning teams happens at some point, and that's also something Leighton never did.

It's not a simple as going back on youtube and re-watching each goal and counting which ones are or are not soft goals.
Meh they were both freaking awful.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Meh they were both freaking awful.

You quoted me, but did you actually read what was said?

There was a clear line: It is why you don't need all-star goalies to win in this league. Your goalie only needs to be good enough to not lose games for you, and that was the difference between Niemi and Leighton.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
the Sharp goal in game 6 was freakin terrible as well. I remember that one. Leighton was pulled twice in the Cup Final. When was the last time that happened? never?. I am not saying Niemi was good by any means, but Leighton was much worse then Niemi. If the Flyers had Niemi and the Hawks had Leighton we would have had the parade down Broad Street.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:11 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
You quoted me, but did you actually read what was said?

There was a clear line: It is why you don't need all-star goalies to win in this league. Your goalie only needs to be good enough to not lose games for you, and that was the difference between Niemi and Leighton.
Yeah I read what you said. I really dont think Niemi made that many saves when they were needed. We tied it up in the 3rd to force OT didnt we? If Leighton hadnt had the ultimate brain fart, they would be considered equally awful

Old
10-02-2010, 10:13 AM
jb**

goaltending is not important. The flyers are fine. The team makes the goalie.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Kaktus*

Homer was not interested in Niemi so why would he pick Theo over Boucher? He rather stay loyal.

People actually thought that Leighton was playing on t he same level as Niemi? No wonder Flyers do not have solid goaltending. Fans just simply do not get it, what one period or one save can do to the game. Niemi was doing it and Leighton was not

By the way it was very funny when a fan asked both Leihgton and Boucher what both did during summer to get better, during that meet the Flyers show. Did anyone catch that? Boucher simply pointed at Leighton like.. I am not answering this and Leighton just started talking about Flyers D.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:17 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah I read what you said. I really dont think Niemi made that many saves when they were needed. We tied it up in the 3rd to force OT didnt we?
Yeah, Hartnell scored the tying goal that forced OT.

What happened 30 seconds after that?

Old
10-02-2010, 10:17 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

OFFER NOT DONE YET:

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=335971

Pasted Below:

Jose Theodore has an offer from the Minnesota Wild, but the team says there is no deal yet.

According to a report in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher has made a contract offer to the free-agent goaltender, but he says contrary to reports, Theodore has not agreed to terms yet.

Montreal radio station CKAC had reported that the Wild had signed Theodore to a one-year, $1.1 million contract.

The Wild need a backup plan after losing Josh Harding for the season.

The 33-year old Theodore posted a 30-7-7 record with a 2.81 goals against average and a .911 save percentage in 47 games with the Washington Capitals last season.

The Laval, Quebec native enjoyed his best season in 2001-02 when he captured both the Hart and Vezina trophies while with the Montreal Canadiens.

The Wild are currently practicing in Finland, set to face Finnish side Tampere on Monday before opening their season against the Hurricanes on Thursday in Helsinki.

The Wild were in the market for a backup netminder when Harding tore both his ACL and MCL last month in a pre-season contest with the St. Louis Blues when he collided with Blues' forward Brad Boyes. Harding will undergo surgery and is expected to miss the entire season.

Last edited by dingbathero: 10-02-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old
10-02-2010, 10:29 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I wouldn't be surprised if they just used Kuhbonen or however you spell it as a backup if they can't work out a deal with Theodore.

Old
10-02-2010, 10:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
OFFER NOT DONE YET:
Yes it is.

Old
10-02-2010, 11:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

However, it's not as simple as going back on youtube and re-watching each goal and counting which ones are or are not soft goals.
Leighton made some good saves in the series too. It isn't as easy as saying Niemi made the saves he needed to and Leighton didn't. This may not be the best argument in the world, but if the Flyers had won no one would be talking about how bad Leighton was. People are just looking for someone to blame. And not that he is without blame, but he is not the only reason the team lost. If Richards, Carter, or Gagne put some goals in or if the team had a third defensive pairing, the Flyers could have easily overcome all the one goal games. No one is saying how terrible Richards is or how glad they are that Gagne is gone because he didn't score the goals in the finals. Leighton played well all season (for the Flyers) and had a bad finals. But he is not the reason the team lost and he did not play so much worse than Niemi.

Old
10-02-2010, 12:57 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Leighton made some good saves in the series too. It isn't as easy as saying Niemi made the saves he needed to and Leighton didn't. This may not be the best argument in the world, but if the Flyers had won no one would be talking about how bad Leighton was. People are just looking for someone to blame. And not that he is without blame, but he is not the only reason the team lost. If Richards, Carter, or Gagne put some goals in or if the team had a third defensive pairing, the Flyers could have easily overcome all the one goal games. No one is saying how terrible Richards is or how glad they are that Gagne is gone because he didn't score the goals in the finals. Leighton played well all season (for the Flyers) and had a bad finals. But he is not the reason the team lost and he did not play so much worse than Niemi.
the Flyers offense did their job. 22 goals in 6 games should be enough. yes the top line didnt score enough, but the Hawks shut down every teams top line in the playoffs. So its up to the other forwards to pick it up. Which they did. Goaltending let the Flyers down in the playoffs. again.

Old
10-02-2010, 01:01 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Flyers offense has been the primary reason they haven't won a Cup in 30 years, not their goaltending.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=797081

Old
10-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Well at least this can be put to bed now. Hopefully the Guerin thread will be the next one.
Put to bed or put out to pasture?

Old
10-02-2010, 02:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I'm not talking about Gagne or Richards, or whoever else. I'm talking about the goaltending. And ours was outplayed, outplayed during games, and outplayed in clutch situations. You say how bad both goaltenders were, but Richards' line was not scoring? Briere, Leino, and Hartnell were unconscious, they got goals from freaken Betts and Asham in Game 1, they got a couple big goals from Giroux. They did get a goal from Gagne in Game 2, that would have tied the game if Leighton didn't give up his second worst goal of the series to Ben Eager less than a minute after Hossa scored. Again, big saves in big moments, direct opposite from what I mentioned about Niemi earlier where he made a huge save on Carter. More of a complaint than the lack of offense from Richards, Gagne, and Carter is the lack of defense from Gagne, Richards, and Carter.

Closed Thread