HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Down to the Nitty Gritty

Old
09-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
If he doesn't make the team this year and wanted to leave, why wouldn't we let him? At best, we'd be saying he's #8 on the depth chart, with Ellis back in the Juniors as a possibility next year and virtual lock for 2012 and Blum not far away, either.
I'm talking about this year. If he doesn't make the roster out of camp and clears waivers he'll be assigned back to Milwaukee for depth. Next summer, if he's still here, he'd be free to do whatever as a free agent.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:28 AM
MrJoshua

I have to admit that I'm really pulling for O'Reilly to make the team. He's been right on the verge for the last couple of seasons and I think this is put up or shut up time for him. He has good vision and the ability to be a good setup man along with being responsible in the defensive zone. Or at least, that's my impression based on the very limited amount of time I've been able to see him play. But he's paid his dues in the minors and that makes me pull for the guy.

Whatever makes the team the strongest, though. I think Nashville is going to have a good year. This is the deepest the Preds have been for a while, and I think that will show up in the on-ice results.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:57 AM
OpenWheel

I think Cal is in. He got some PK time so that bodes well as they try to see what use he can be. He was 50% or better on faceoffs all four games he's played. 12-5 last night. Sounded like he moved the play forward.

What has Andersson done? He may need a month or two getting used to the North American rink again in the AHL. Although I'm sure he didn't expect that when he signed. I'd rather they take a flyer on Andersson than a couple of the weaker vets who seem to be Coach's pets, but I don't think they will. Andersson was expected to improve our penalty kill, he was supposed to a be a very good shot blocker. His fair size was supposed to help us as well. I would have said he was a lock, but not any more. A numbers game.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 09-30-2010 at 08:09 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:41 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, you're right. I was referring to a traditional bottom-six which ours certainly is not. If he doesn't hurt the line too much defensively, I think he'd be a much better fit on that line than Ward right now because it would provide us with three scoring lines.

Trotz has many options right now, almost too many, and it'll be interesting to see how he sorts it all out to start the year...
Seth, when I spoke with Trotz last Thursday, he definitely wants to field three scoring lines- with two of those lines being two-way lines that he'd "have no qualms playing against any other line".

He definitely seemed to want to get away from a line so specialized as the Smithson-Legwand-Ward line.

I do think he's having an interesting time trying to find the right combination of playmakers and scorers on each line as it was something he stressed during the conversation. Of course, it might have something to do with what I believe is an overabundance of playmakers and almost a complete lack of true scorers after Hornqvist.

My thoughts on the original question...

Putting aside the potential of players not currently on the roster:

Lindback. Playing the full game last night likely cinched it.

Cal O'Reilly is in. Never a question about Smithson making it since Spaling went down.

If they feel like they will not lose either to waivers, neither Johnson or Sulzer make it. I feel that they'll go with six defensemen and keep Jonas Andersson. This gives Trotz the most flexibility to find those right forward combinations while having a defense in which he's comfortable.

Truthfully, I think the only real question left is Andersson vs. Johnson.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Seth, when I spoke with Trotz last Thursday, he definitely wants to field three scoring lines- with two of those lines being two-way lines that he'd "have no qualms playing against any other line".

He definitely seemed to want to get away from a line so specialized as the Smithson-Legwand-Ward line.

I do think he's having an interesting time trying to find the right combination of playmakers and scorers on each line as it was something he stressed during the conversation. Of course, it might have something to do with what I believe is an overabundance of playmakers and almost a complete lack of true scorers after Hornqvist.

My thoughts on the original question...

Putting aside the potential of players not currently on the roster:

Lindback. Playing the full game last night likely cinched it.

Cal O'Reilly is in. Never a question about Smithson making it since Spaling went down.

If they feel like they will not lose either to waivers, neither Johnson or Sulzer make it. I feel that they'll go with six defensemen and keep Jonas Andersson. This gives Trotz the most flexibility to find those right forward combinations while having a defense in which he's comfortable.

Truthfully, I think the only real question left is Andersson vs. Johnson.
The NHL confirmed to Dirk yesterday that Andersson is in fact exempt from waivers this season, therefore I simply don't see any way the Preds keep him over either O'Reilly or Johnson/Sulzer.

Interesting caveat I was thinking about last night, the goal is obviously to lose neither, but I think the Preds would be happy with just keeping one, so Sulzer and Johnson we know both require waivers to be sent to Milwaukee, but only Sulzer requires recall waivers due to his salary. Does that give Sulzer the edge knowing that he would be risked on recall waivers before playing if needed to be recalled over Johnson who could be brought back up without waivers? I don't know...

Old
09-30-2010, 09:11 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The NHL confirmed to Dirk yesterday that Andersson is in fact exempt from waivers this season, therefore I simply don't see any way the Preds keep him over either O'Reilly or Johnson/Sulzer.

Interesting caveat I was thinking about last night, the goal is obviously to lose neither, but I think the Preds would be happy with just keeping one, so Sulzer and Johnson we know both require waivers to be sent to Milwaukee, but only Sulzer requires recall waivers due to his salary. Does that give Sulzer the edge knowing that he would be risked on recall waivers before playing if needed to be recalled over Johnson who could be brought back up without waivers? I don't know...
That tidbit certainly helps either Johnson or Sulzer over someone like Andersson. And you're also likely correct with the waiver situation potentially helping Sulzer.

That said, I really don't see Sulzer in the team's long term plans. He's an asset in Milwaukee that could be traded later as well, but I don't see him getting much playing time in the NHL even if he were to stay up (nor do I see much for Johnson either). Outside of trying to choose between Klein and Koistinen, I don't remember Trotz carrying more than six defensemen typically in recent years. This season, I think there's a clear line between the top six and the next set of players.

The current waiver situation may help either Johnson or Sulzer stay up now, but I think that Andersson will be back up at either's expense prior to the end of October if so (and barring no injuries on the blueline).

Put it this way, if waivers were completely put aside I think that Andersson would stay up. I think that Trotz is intrigued with him and his speed as well as still trying to piece those forward lines together. Of course, waiver situations can't be put aside while all those players are still here.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
this is the first season that I havent been able to catch a single minute of training camp or exhibition play, so sad. I wish I could contribute to the conversation.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Seth Lake

Andersson and Dumont went through drills today on the 5th line without a center. Never a good sign this late in camp. Klein and Lundmark did not skate today.

Lines:
10-15-33
26-16-27
74-11-29
25-9-22
71-X-28

20-6
77-4
2-52
3-51

Still 3 goalies in camp...

Old
09-30-2010, 12:35 PM
MrJoshua

Did Dumont run over Trotz's dog or what? Because he seems to be unable to get back into the coach's good graces.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
PredsChik

wtf on Dumont? From what I saw in the few training camp sessions I've been too, he had the old Dumont confidence and speed back, especially when skating with Lombardi and he didn't look bad in the pre-season game we saw him in either. I was/AM looking forward to him returning to the Dumont of 2 years ago.

This makes me sad.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:12 PM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
wtf on Dumont? From what I saw in the few training camp sessions I've been too, he had the old Dumont confidence and speed back, especially when skating with Lombardi and he didn't look bad in the pre-season game we saw him in either. I was/AM looking forward to him returning to the Dumont of 2 years ago.

This makes me sad.

Patience grasshopper, don't read too much into it yet.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOneTN View Post
Agreed, I'm not reading too much into JP's line today, but while I was driving back I simply couldn't figure out a way to fit him into the lineup right now with O'Reilly centering the second line and Wilson playing on the wing.

Simple fact of the matter is the team can't roll four scoring lines. They need to dress role players and Dumont simply doesn't appear to have a role on the three scoring lines yet.

But as I said yesterday, he's been one of the real surprises and positive stories in camp. Dumont is a professional, he's not sulking and is battling hard out there every day. While we might not know where he fits right now...as long as he's healthy this year, he'll find a role, excel there, and continue to rise up the depth charts this year...

Old
09-30-2010, 01:53 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOneTN View Post
Bonjour Monsuer Dumont!

(in all seriousness i think the only reason JP would be on that 5th line is to give one of the final auditioners a chance at a higher line. Trotz knows what he's got in JP. Its not like JP is gonna get cut or even be a frequent scatch)

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Nitrous Mafia

OT:

Mr. Palmer is concerned with the thousand dollar question
Just like Roger he's a crazy little kid
I've got the time if you've got the inclination
So cheer up Palmer, you'll soon be dead

The noose is hanging, at least you won't die wondering
Sit up and take notice Tell it like it is
If I were near you I wouldn't be far from you
I've got a feeling you know what you did

AC/DC Bag
AC/DC Bag
AC/DC Bag
DC Bag

Time to put your money where your mouth is
Put 'em in a field and let 'em fight it out
I'm running so fast my feet don't touch the ground
I'm a stranger here I'm going down

Let's get down to the nitty gritty
Let's get this show on the road
I'll show you mine if you show me yours
I'm breathing hard - open the door

Brain dead, and made of money
No future at all
Pull down the blinds and run for cover
No future at all

Who would've thought it, that's where I am
No future at all
Don't sweat it, that's where I am
Whoa, carry me down, down, down, down

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:56 PM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
That tidbit certainly helps either Johnson or Sulzer over someone like Andersson. And you're also likely correct with the waiver situation potentially helping Sulzer.

That said, I really don't see Sulzer in the team's long term plans. He's an asset in Milwaukee that could be traded later as well, but I don't see him getting much playing time in the NHL even if he were to stay up (nor do I see much for Johnson either). Outside of trying to choose between Klein and Koistinen, I don't remember Trotz carrying more than six defensemen typically in recent years. This season, I think there's a clear line between the top six and the next set of players.

The current waiver situation may help either Johnson or Sulzer stay up now, but I think that Andersson will be back up at either's expense prior to the end of October if so (and barring no injuries on the blueline).

Put it this way, if waivers were completely put aside I think that Andersson would stay up. I think that Trotz is intrigued with him and his speed as well as still trying to piece those forward lines together. Of course, waiver situations can't be put aside while all those players are still here.
Boy if I was Andersson I would be a little put out to say the least. I thought he was better than all potential competition for the remaining spots. Furthermore, his speed is such that he might be able to compliment a player like Lombardi. I guess I mostly agree with the main thrust of who gets to stay, but i wonder if Smithson is as secure as everyone thinks. I thought there was a drop off in his penalty killing last year.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Bonjour Monsuer Dumont!

(in all seriousness i think the only reason JP would be on that 5th line is to give one of the final auditioners a chance at a higher line. Trotz knows what he's got in JP. Its not like JP is gonna get cut or even be a frequent scatch)
I tend to agree with you on this. I think they're giving O'Reilly one last look at this level. I can't see O'Reilly centering Sully and Hornqvist ahead of Legwand and Goc. I think Goc goes between those two at some point with Ward being dropped to the fourth line and Dumont on the wing with SK on the other side with Legwand up the middle.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
AC/DC BAG
Nice to see another Phish Phan around here.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 06:50 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Nice to see another Phish Phan around here.
add one more - bouncing around the room

lstcyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Phish is a totally awesome band, if what you're into is being bored and listening to endless, repetitive jamming.

But only if you're into that.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:33 PM
glenngineer

Can we get back to the hockey talk please?

Old
10-01-2010, 08:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
The discussion of a crappy band are about as productive as the "Legwand sucks" and "Dumont is lazy" rants of late.

Less than 24 hours until the Barons and Stars play in Cedar Park and I get to return to a barn ... a week until Preds hockey gets meaningful ... only a few days left for Trotz and Poile to decide which bubble players stay in Nashville and who gets sent down to the farm.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:47 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
when you packed up, you also lost all rights in trying to get threads back on topic

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:36 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
when you packed up, you also lost all rights in trying to get threads back on topic
rotfl

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:45 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
Do you really think me moving 650 miles away is going to keep my mouth shut? I could be on the moon and I'd still voice my opinion.

Old
10-02-2010, 09:52 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Do you really think me moving 650 miles away is going to keep my mouth shut? I could be on the moon and I'd still voice my opinion.
But in space, no one can hear you scream.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote