HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton related sort of - Grigorenko or Kastsitsyn?

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Billy The Kid

vCash: 500
Edmonton related sort of - Grigorenko or Kastsitsyn?

Hey guys,

I'm in a keeper pool (in our 13th year) here in Edmonton, and tomorrow is our annual draft ... I'm picking 8th overall (12 teams) and will have a chance at one of the two mentioned above. Which player do you honestly feel will put up the best numbers in NHL in the future (2,3,4 years down the road).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ned-

PS. I'm leaning towards Grigorenko - but I just have a gut feeling that Kastsitsyn could be a carbon copy of Hemsky (who I also managed to draft 2 years ago).

Old
10-03-2003, 07:45 PM
momentai

Question? How are both of those guys made available in your keeper draft? Igor was drafted in 2001 by Detroit and Kostitsyn was drafted this year by Montreal.

Grigs just came off that horrible car accident and the complications that left him with a 10% chance to live at the time. It's unknown how much those injuries have affected him mentally and physically.

Kostitsyn would be my bet. Take him. Who else would be available in a draft like this? It seems strange since these guys are from different draft years.

Old
10-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Billy The Kid

>Question? How are both of those guys made available in your keeper draft?<

After every year we are only allowed to keep 27 players, 23 that have played over 20 NHL games, 3 that have played 20 or less, and one that has played zero NHL games. Every year before the season starts, we have a 10 round draft, which gives us 37 players (or more depending on aquiring other draft picks). We only put in a roster of 19, bi-weekly, 4 LW, 4 C, 4 RW, 5 D & 2 G. The lowest point total under each position for the two weeks does not count.

The reason Grigorenko is available is he has simply been missed in the last couple of drafts, he was a 2nd round pick by Detroit in '01 and really wasn't really hyped until his strong showing at last years WJC. Our draft usually sees the 1st rounders from that summer's amateur draft taken, and then teams start resorting to taking the older players, or players that were missed the previous year, too fill in in for iunjuries and so on.

>Kostitsyn would be my bet. Take him. Who else would be available in a draft like this? It seems strange since these guys are from different draft years.<

Usually there are a few good players left from the previous years draft that simply get missed or over looked. You have young guys like Grigorenko, Grebeshkov & Sejna available. The year Teemu Ruutu was drafted he never got picked, most write-ups had him as a strong defensive forward, which means nothing in our draft, then that winter they started hailing him as the next Forsberg, so he never got taken until last year. Usually happens to 2 or 3 players each year, a kid you could of had in the 10th round last year, you will have to take in the first round this year. There are also a lot of older players left for the pickings every year - this year there are guys like Turgeon & Francis, and actually Hasek is also available - Olli Jokinen is also available, one bad year, gets dropped, no one takes him and he has a 65 pt year. I had Lemieux way back, my first pick in '91 and I dropped him when he retired, and he went second overall to Kovalchuk in that years draft. Keeps things interesting.

Thanks for your opinion.

-Ned-

Old
10-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Freakey Styley

i'd say kostitsyn, because grigorenko was in that severe car crash

Old
10-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Hairball

That sounds interesting. Strange rules. Feel free to keep us informed as to how your seaon goes. pretty much any topic is fair game on this board. Especially hockey related ones.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:05 PM
fulk hogan

In Montréal, the fans are raving about Kastsitsyn. Even the director of scouting was saying that he could probably play in the NHL this year, but AK decided to stay in Russia for at least another season. Others have said he may be the most talented player from the draft, but that he was overlooked because he suffered a seizure and it scared other teams away, thinking it was epilepsy. Members of the Canadiens medical staff has looked at his records and they think the seizure was an isolated incident and shouldn't hinder his development.

That said, I don't know as much about Grigorenko, but I will still put in my vote for Kastsitsyn. He doesn't have the same injury picture and was picked higher for many reasons.

Good luck in your season this year.

Closed Thread