HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Question for Rangers fans about Tom Renney...

Old
10-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Question for Rangers fans about Tom Renney...

Oilers fan here, I have a question for Rangers fans. Has Tom Renney in the past shown the willingness to 'protect' his younger and more skilled players by sending out tough guys if other teams take liberties?

This was something Craig MacTavish was terrible at as a coach, not having the intestinal fortitude to make a short term sacrifice (as in a penalty or suspension) for long term gain of showing teams the skilled guys were off limits. As a result some of the Oilers best players got run all the time. With some very good looking young prospects on the roster I'm worried in this regard. Comments?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:15 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I think if there was ever a time Renney would want to do that its this season in Edmonton. Way too much at risk not to.

As far as with the Rangers, he used Orr quite a bit, but I don't remember many specific instances where he did this -- except against Washington.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:25 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
I think if there was ever a time Renney would want to do that its this season in Edmonton. Way too much at risk not to.

As far as with the Rangers, he used Orr quite a bit, but I don't remember many specific instances where he did this -- except against Washington.
Right. I wouldn't exactly say he was reluctant but it's not like players were bashing in the other team's skulls every other game. He definitely let Orr and Avery do what they had to do. Don't expect the Broadstreet Bullies but I wouldn't really be concerned, especially in what is essentially a rebuilding season for the Oilers.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He never hesitated to play a goon, and let the guys get into the rough stuff. It wasn't his thing, but he never shied away from promoting that aspect of the game. He liked Ryan Hollweg and Colton Orr...one of the top heavyweights and an insane guy who took mad penalties but always stuck up for his 'mates.

He's a good Western Canadian guy. Not afraid of physicality.

EDIT: As the regulars here will tell you, I also think Renney is a terrific coach. I think you guys will be pleased with him.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 10-01-2010 at 08:46 PM.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I think Renney will do wonders with the young kids in EDM developing young players really is a strength of his.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

renney will play the goons, thats for sure. one thing he did do a good job of was protecting his assets with toughness.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:51 PM
lbrowne

I honestly can't think of a better coach for that young Edmonton team.

He should have been running the bench last season.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:07 PM
17futurecap

Tom was the one to give Colton a real chance, worked out well for Orr getting a nice contract from the Leafs. Tom will be great for your young team.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:09 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

i can say that renney had no problem playing the 4th line...even down 1 with 2 minutes to go... not a bad coach though

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Pizza

Renney does not want a goon so much as cop.

Finishers not starters.

I liked him a lot. Too much "D" and Not enough "O" in his coaching, but I still liked him. A classy, classy guy.

Hope he does well for the Oil.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:41 PM
ogie

Paul Mara and Jason Strudwick are an example of guys Renney likes to have on the ice. They aren't brawlers but will drop the gloves to protect a team mate.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:44 PM
John Torturella

Renney is the perfect fit for a talented, young team. Dont worry about him. He isnt scared to let guys protect each other.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

More like you'll have to worry about him playing the unskilled guys too much.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

He answers every question with the word "well....".

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
More like you'll have to worry about him playing the unskilled guys too much.
Haha yup. He loved to Colton Orr against Crosby's line.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Nick00

Tom Renney always had, in contradiction with his soft persona, a willingness to goon it up when he felt it necessary.
Usually when we would play a rival or a physical team, he made sure that the appropriate players were dressed.
He had no problem with sending guys out as a response/deterrent if things got out of hand.
When Ryan Hollweg was here, Renney would basically use him as a human warhead.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:34 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
i liked tom renney...the oilers made the right choice, he can be reserved most of the time so if you can get passed that and not be frustrated about it, then you will like him as well...but us ranger fans do recall when he basically stepped on the ice and screamed at the refs. hes a great coach for the young guys on the team and isnt afraid to use the heavyweights

you will also notice, he LOVES chewing gum

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:48 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think the main complaint about TR was that his offense was at best challenged. Then again that was related to Sather's failure to find adequate talent.

TR's system was based on "keep the puck out of the net first" while in NY.

hopefully the Oil's younger players develop as a unit and learn to rely on each other, because when playing within TR's system the team is competitive, albeit a little un-entertaining

then again NY had henrik to fall back on

if Khabbi has it in him for a solid season I think edmonton can and will surprise with renney's system in place.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Tree444

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
He answers every question with the word "well....".
He also loves to say "No question about it".
But hey, maybe there just isn't a question about it, I guess.

Thanks for your insights, rangers fans!

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 04:37 AM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I think the main complaint about TR was that his offense was at best challenged. Then again that was related to Sather's failure to find adequate talent.

TR's system was based on "keep the puck out of the net first" while in NY.

hopefully the Oil's younger players develop as a unit and learn to rely on each other, because when playing within TR's system the team is competitive, albeit a little un-entertaining

then again NY had henrik to fall back on

if Khabbi has it in him for a solid season I think edmonton can and will surprise with renney's system in place.

Dude...really? He had JAGR for god sakes. LOL. No team is offensively inept when the Mullet is lurking!

He also got the best out of Straka.

I think Renney will be great for the Oilers.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Renney did play enforcers, but not all the time. He ran some experiments rolling out a "team toughness" model against team that he tought lacked an enforcer. It all came back to bite him in the ass in Philly one day. He played the Flyers w/out Orr in the lineup. The results were Shanny and Knuble colliding and the loss of Shanny for a while. While the collision was accidental, the Flyers did take liberties that day. I believe it was Eager, maybe Fridge at the time who ran around etc. Think Jags was roughed up a little. Flyers beat them up physically, and on the scoreboard that day. The owner of the Rangers (Dolan) threw a fit. That game basically cemented Orr in a Rangers sweater. The next time the two teams met up Colton Orr exacted a little revenge on the Flyers at MSG by Knocking Fedoruk into tommorrow!

Renney would comment on post game interviews where there were brawls from time to time, and from his words he seemed to be pro-fighting. He always stuck by the guys that did that role as he did for all of his team. He's a stand up guy, and if liberties were taken on a player I believe he would release the hounds.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Blueblood 2

Renney will play the goons especially if your owner gives him an edict. Dolan did just that regarding Orr and Renney played him in every game after that!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

renney is a great coach for the future but not for a playoff team that has pressure. he never benches players even when they do deserve it. the players on edmonton can learn something from him. Jason Strudwick knows him a bit.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:53 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Oilers fan here, I have a question for Rangers fans. Has Tom Renney in the past shown the willingness to 'protect' his younger and more skilled players by sending out tough guys if other teams take liberties?

This was something Craig MacTavish was terrible at as a coach, not having the intestinal fortitude to make a short term sacrifice (as in a penalty or suspension) for long term gain of showing teams the skilled guys were off limits. As a result some of the Oilers best players got run all the time. With some very good looking young prospects on the roster I'm worried in this regard. Comments?
Tom will have no reservations against doing that and you can have faith in him in that regard. In all regards actually. I'm pretty sure you'll learn to love Renney quickly.

I love the guy. Truth be told; I had such a F'd up summer that I don't know how I even missed the fact that he was picked up by you guys! I was shocked when I just googled and learned it was in June for chrissakkes.

God bless him. He's all heart and one of the most stand up characters I've come across. He should do great for you guys. He seems like the perfect fit for your team. Good luck!

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:37 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
You have very little to worry about. The Oilers are very lucky to have Renney with the organization, especially with the re-building state they are in.

With the whole playing the "tough guys" situation, 2k2 hit the nail on the head. He isn't afraid to play them and it shows.

If he has a solid fourth line that can block shots and play good defense, he really won't be afraid to throw him out against the other team's top line. He has an excellent amount of confidence in his decisions.

Best of luck to the Oilers re-build, I hope everything works out for you guys.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote