HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strong out of the gate - miss the playoffs

Old
10-02-2010, 08:28 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

vCash: 500
Strong out of the gate - miss the playoffs

Am I the only one who thinks that we're going to carry the preseason momentum on to a some impressive winning streak in the first 10 games, then flicker out into mediocrity once more? Its becoming an annual ritual with this team.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:29 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that we're going to carry the preseason momentum on to a some impressive winning streak in the first 10 games, then flicker out into mediocrity once more? Its becoming an annual ritual with this team.
Would it be the New York Rangers if we didn't?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:30 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

It's not like they missed the playoffs by much last year. 1 lousy point. I think they easily improved enough with some secondary scoring and grit to add at least 10-15 points to last years total.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Levitate

It's not like a fast start is a bad thing...it's just when that hot streak fades, you have to keep some level of consistency and not flounder back and forth like the Rangers have been doing.

Stronger Decembers in particular would help.

It's certainly possible they do the same thing again, but we'll just have to see, it's a new team this year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:48 AM
wereback

Quote:
Nope, your the only one.

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

It all depends on the young players. If they grow and produce, the team will be fine. In fact, more than fine. With Drury and Prospal down, the team will start the season with very few players 30 and over. (Avery, Rozsival, White? Fetetenko?) Youngest Ranger team in years. Like 30 or 40 years. There's something going on here that might just turn out to be very special.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I dont know, let me dust off my old crystal ball and i'll get back to you

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:46 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
It's too easy to feel that way and we're all justified for having cynical outlooks like that. But I think this year may be different. Why? Because I think the entire team dynamic has changed.

In seasons past there was always this sense of a lack of chemistry and team cohesion. Too many stars wanting to prove too many things; and their own personal emotions would bring them down. I'm not going to get much into that, since it's too hard for me to explain. It's just I've always felt; as a fan watching every single game; that when the 'drought' came, there was a void of leadership and this sort of infection that each player was playing more for themselves; in an effort to break themselves out of their slump; than for the team as a whole.

Ughh, so tired today and the thoughts just ain't flowing right. That paragraph already sounds so stupid to me but alas; I'm going to keep it and keep going anyway. I digress.

Anyway, the point I'm really wanting to make is that I think our team dynamic as a whole is much different this year. We have a key ingredient this year that has been missing for over a decade. That ingredient is HUNGER. We have returning members that are still bitter over the missing of the playoffs last year. We have a new injection of youth that are talented and hungry. We have veterans that are out to prove something and hungry to show that they can be stars at this level. We have hunger throughout.

Don't underestimate the value in that. Time and time again you can see an extremely talented team get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs due to a seeming lack of it, and see a team that was given no chance go to the finals or even the cup based almost solely on the fact that they had it. This year, I think we have it.

So yeah, it's really easy to think that we'll be nothing more than mediocre after a start; or even preseason start for that matter; in which we held higher hopes. But though hard to describe, it just seems that things are different this year. Chemistry has started to build, we have hunger throughout, and our whole team dynamic just seems to have changed for the better. Couple all of that with one of the top scorers in the league, one of the best goaltenders in the league, returning players hungry to reprove themselves, leaders of the team anxious to step up (see Cally, Dubi, Aves) and an infusion of talented youth that all want to show they belong here; and we may be in for one hell of a ride.

I'm looking forward to this season. So much unknown, but overall the only direction we can go is up right? I mean, so many of us are claiming we may not even have what it takes to get to the playoffs, so expectations are pretty low. But if things come together just right then we all may be in for a hell of a surprise. Maybe the youth play up to potential. Maybe the leaders lead. Maybe the scorers score. Maybe someone comes out from obscurity and makes a name for themselves. Who knows. But the only direction is up my friend. Just sit back, grab a bag of chips, and let the season start. It's gonna be fun this year.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:49 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think there's plenty of things to look forward to with this season, even if we don't make the playoffs again.

Watching Stepan(hopefully) and whichever rookie d-men make it onto the roster develop their NHL game.

Watching our younger players already in the NHL develop.

Watching Frolov who has something to prove and Gaborik on the top line.

Watching Hank drag us kicking and screaming to the Stanley Cup finals....

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:49 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
It all depends on the young players. If they grow and produce, the team will be fine. In fact, more than fine. With Drury and Prospal down, the team will start the season with very few players 30 and over. (Avery, Rozsival, White? Fetetenko?) Youngest Ranger team in years. Like 30 or 40 years. There's something going on here that might just turn out to be very special.
It's not even that the players are young, but more that we finally have some young players that are very good. MDZ and Stepan are barely 20 and have shown game breaking ability. Staal is simply solid and improving. The other guys like McDonagh, Anisimov and Gilroy don't have as much potential, but they will probably be capable NHL'ers

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
It's not like they missed the playoffs by much last year. 1 lousy point. I think they easily improved enough with some secondary scoring and grit to add at least 10-15 points to last years total.

Say what? Exchanging Jokinen for Frolov adds 10-15 points?!

We are the only ones in Atlantic who did not improve. The Isles suffered injuries, but may be better just based on Tavares improving to go from a rookie to a star.

All other teams will be straight up better this year.

The Rangers will face a tougher schedule, and therefore worse results. Look for them to finish 10-15 points below last year's performance.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If they have a start like the last couple of seasons I'd actually be shocked.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Oh and I forgot to mention: we got lucky last year because Gabby was completely healthy. If he goes down for any extended period of time, we will be contending for a pick in the top half dozen.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:08 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post

We are the only ones in Atlantic who did not improve. The Isles suffered injuries, but may be better just based on Tavares improving to go from a rookie to a star.

The Rangers will face a tougher schedule, and therefore worse results. Look for them to finish 10-15 points below last year's performance.
Quote:
Oh and I forgot to mention: we got lucky last year because Gabby was completely healthy. If he goes down for any extended period of time, we will be contending for a pick in the top half dozen.

So on a much worse Islanders team John Tavares alone will make them better than us?

And not any of our young players will improve, right?

I don't drink the positive kool aid much either, but come on.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:12 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:

Your cynicism is so melodramatic that I think sometimes you're just faking. Do you do this solely out of a need for attention or are we actually to take this stuff from you seriously? On a side note, are you a betting man? I'd love to put money on the table with you. Just let me know (and no fear, I'm a man of my word).

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't see a roller coaster happening again this year.

I think the effort level will be there consistently. And that's really all you can ask for.

No team goes 82-0. If they get beat, that's fine, as long as in those losing games they leave everything on the ice and can look in the mirror and say they gave it their all.

They are no question a better team this year then last year. The only issue is that every team around us improved just as much. In some cases even more.

So, while last year felt like a losing season due to some flat games, this year may feel like a successful season due to a more hungry team, even if they miss the playoffs.

This team will be fun to watch.

We are going to need some luck here and there. And if we qualify for the post season, we need luck again in matchups.

There is also the possibility that due to break out campeigns by Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan, Del Zotto, Staal and solid rookie season by Stepan and McDonagh this team could be the real deal if they all gel the way they are capable of.

Anything is possible, that's why they play the games on the ice.

But again, Pens, Flyers, and Devils all improved as well. Tampa Bay improved, Atlanta may be better, Ottawa will be stronger through the whole season, Boston is still a threat, Montreal is still a threat... So our task is hard, despite our improvements. The league is still tough as always.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, the Islanders without Streit or Okposo will be leagues better than us.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

This new squad has yet to play any EC teams except for 2 (which we beat both of them). Until I see how they match up against the other 13, I'm not going to say this season will be a failure or a success.

Teams may look great on paper, but until they actually play the games, they are no higher in the standings than any other team.

So you can say all these teams "improved" all you want. I'm not buying it until I see them play.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:19 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Henrik guaranteed a playoff spot.

/thread

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, the Islanders without Streit or Okposo will be leagues better than us.

If that was directed at me, did you read what I said? I never once mentioned the Islanders.

Capitals
Penguins
Flyers
Devils
Bruins
Sabres
Senators
Canadiens
Lightning
Huricanes

Are all teams that will be in the playoff race.

A lot of them are improved.

The Rangers themselves improved, but that's not the issue. The issue is weather or not they improved more then those other teams.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Other teams improved, yes, but there are always teams that disappoint, fail to live up to expectations. There will be teams like that this year. As long as it's not us, we'll be right in the thick of the playoff race.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:13 PM
frankthefrowner

Hurricanes? Who did they add of significance?

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Scooter17

I think a lot of our preseason success and early season hot streak last year had to do with conditioning. Our boys are probably better conditioned coming into camp and preseason than other teams because Torts demands it.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:27 PM
WalterHeisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If that was directed at me, did you read what I said? I never once mentioned the Islanders.

Capitals
Penguins
Flyers
Devils
Bruins
Sabres
Senators
Canadiens
Lightning
Huricanes

Are all teams that will be in the playoff race.

A lot of them are improved.

The Rangers themselves improved, but that's not the issue. The issue is weather or not they improved more then those other teams.
The Rangers are definitely better and definitely have improved much more than a couple of teams u named like the Hurricanes? They havn't done really anything over the offseason...the Rangers are projected in Hockey Night Live to be 8th in the EAST.

The Lightning don't have the defense nor goalie

The Senators have a pretty good team but their age is whats hitting them with Alfredsson and Gonchar in their mid 30's.

You forgot to add the Thrashers because they will make a run but they will fall short as to why we are getting 7th-8th place this year

WalterHeisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
I think a lot of our preseason success and early season hot streak last year had to do with conditioning. Our boys are probably better conditioned coming into camp and preseason than other teams because Torts demands it.
That's exactly what I think too. We don't get worse, it's just that a lot of teams catch up.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, it seems like December-January is always brutal with this team.
They'll need to, and probably will, go 15-2 in the beginning to compensate for that mid-season slump.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote