HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

O'Brien & Gendur traded to NSH for Parent & Andersson (Parent put on waivers by VAN)

Old
10-02-2010, 12:59 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
O'Brien & Gendur traded to NSH for Parent & Andersson (Parent put on waivers by VAN)

The Canucks just waived him. I know him personally. He is a very good guy and a strong up and coming defenseman I think.

I really hope that Poile considers picking him up! Then waive Klein, O'Brien is way better than Klein! Especially if Trotz is going to put Weber and Suter on separate pairings this year according the the Tennessean.

Imagine,

Weber - O'Brien
Suter - Franson
Bouillon - Blum/Johnson/Josi

Last edited by Seth Lake: 10-05-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Title update
lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
The Canucks just waived him. I know him personally. He is a very good guy and a strong up and coming defenseman I think.

I really hope that Poile considers picking him up! Then waive Klein, O'Brien is way better than Klein! Especially if Trotz is going to put Weber and Suter on separate pairings this year according the the Tennessean.

Imagine,

Weber - O'Brien
Suter - Franson
Bouillon - Blum/Johnson/Josi
O'Brien isn't better than Klein. He's not better than anyone that will be in our top six, and we already had to put a guy that I think is more or less equal(if not outright better) in Aaron Johnson on waivers.

If Shane O'Brien is on someone's top pairing, they're likely a lottery team.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:24 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
O'Brien isn't better than Klein. He's not better than anyone that will be in our top six, and we already had to put a guy that I think is more or less equal(if not outright better) in Aaron Johnson on waivers.

+1
Dude just got beaten out by Andrew Alberts for a roster spot....why do we need him? The defense is more or less already set and I wouldn't take O'Brien over any of them.

Suter-Weber
Boullion-Klein
Parent-Franson

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

Looks like Vancouver got tired of his antics. O'Brien has the potential to become a top 3 D-man. Seriously.

At times he has shown glimpses of defensive brilliance. However, he doesn't want to work at all on his game.

Old
10-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

The last thing we need is another fringe D-man

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Pattypred

Nope, don't want or need him. If he was good, Vancouver would NOT have placed him on waivers.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:54 PM
trevorbird

"Hey, there's a guy I've heard of on waivers! I'm gonna make a thread about it!"

Shane O'Brien sucks.

trevorbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:19 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Looks like Vancouver got tired of his antics. O'Brien has the potential to become a top 3 D-man. Seriously.
At times he has shown glimpses of defensive brilliance. However, he doesn't want to work at all on his game.

I agree 100%! That is why I made this thread. Sure Aaron Johnson, Ryan Parent, Kevin Klein,and Francis Bouillon are good NHL defensemen, but O'Brien is also good but has the potential to be very good. I think it is worht a shot, especially after losing Hamhuis and getting no significant replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbird View Post
"Hey, there's a guy I've heard of on waivers! I'm gonna make a thread about it!"

Shane O'Brien sucks.
Do you watch hockey ever?

Old
10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Canucks fan here. O'Brien sucks. He has size, endurance and a good shot but he's a poor skater and he is pretty dumb. He's a 5/6 at best.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
I agree 100%! That is why I made this thread. Sure Aaron Johnson, Ryan Parent, Kevin Klein,and Francis Bouillon are good NHL defensemen, but O'Brien is also good but has the potential to be very good. I think it is worht a shot, especially after losing Hamhuis and getting no significant replacement.

I watch hockey, and a lot of Canuck games.. he sucks.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:27 PM
glenngineer

Quote:

If he's so good or has that much potential, why would Vancouver let him go?

For all the rants that people have gone about Klein sucking, Klein is still much better than O'Brien.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:33 PM
trevorbird

Quote:
I saw a game one time. Now, I know I can't compete with the greatness that is "lightning_legwand" from hf boards, but I know a bit about O'Brien. He's a bust of a first round pick. He doesn't take playing at the professional level seriously. He takes stupid penalties. He makes retarded decisions. He's slow and stupid on the ice. Other than that I've never heard of him.

bust of a first round pick being he was traded for a first round pick...for no reason.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 10-02-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: We don't call players that...
trevorbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
You guys seriously don't want SOB in your top pairing. Trust me.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:55 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
You guys seriously don't want SOB in your top pairing. Trust me.
Don't worry. Nobody took that idea seriously. I don't even care if Poile would see something in the guy and want him. But it wouldn't be to even play 3rd pairing this close to the season. Much less pair with either Suter or Weber.

I get tired of these threads proposing we get rid of or trade our good players in return for other teams discards or third line forwards or defensemen. You'd think all the other teams had been in the Cup finals and the Preds missed the playoffs.

Kevin Klein sucked his way into major ice time helping the Preds score a 100 point season last year and compete well against Chicago. Yeah, he must not be any good. We won with offense.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-02-2010 at 10:07 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:52 PM
MarkMM

I'll try to give both sides of the coin from my viewpoint.

O'Brien is a decent 5/6 guy, who shows glimpses of being more. Why was he wavied? 2.5 reasons.

First, Vancouver's depth-chart on D and salaries:

1.) Edler (3.4M)
2.) Erhoff (3.1M)
3.) Hamhuis (4.5M)
4.) Ballard (4.2M)
5.) Salo (3.5M)
6.) Bieksa (3.75M)
7.) Alberts (1.1M)
8.) O'Brien (1.6M)
9.) Rome (0.75M)

Now, with Salo injured, we can't trade Bieksa (only right-hander we got left) which brings us down to eight, Rome is the cheapest we got for a depth #7, and Alberts played well and is $500k cheaper. That is one reason. The Canucks cap struggles is another half-reason.

The other thing is O'Brien is really, really immature. He misses practices because he sleeps in from partying (got an internal suspension once from the Canucks, and teammates afterwards admitted being tired covering for him, meaning it happened before several times), he gets into shouting matches with the coaches in the middle of games and refuses to come off the ice and had to have Luongo skate over to him and basically force him to calm down and get off the ice, and has had bouts of coming to the team out of shape and over-weight. Vigneault and Gillis are big on character, and I guess they just got tired of waiting for him to mature.

I think he'd bring a good skillset to the Preds, but he is the antipathy of a Predator player. That said, if Trotz feels he could straighten O'Brien out, he might be worth it, he really can be a good defenseman with a hard shot when he gets his head in the game, and he can bring a tough edge to the team as well.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:53 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I must not have had enough to drink at the Stars/Barons game tonight. The idea of O'Brien is still absolutely asinine to me. It's not like we need another d-man and O'Brien sure as hell wouldn't sniff a spot on our top four.

But, I've only been watching hockey since Tony Esposito was in goal ... before the question is asked.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:41 AM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
I agree 100%! Sure Aaron Johnson, Ryan Parent, Kevin Klein,and Francis Bouillon are good NHL defensemen, but O'Brien is also good but has the potential to be very good.
Are you sure about that? Have you ever seen O'Brien play?

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:31 AM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If he's so good or has that much potential, why would Vancouver let him go?

For all the rants that people have gone about Klein sucking, Klein is still much better than O'Brien.

Well Grabner just got waived today, I guess he is worthless and sucks because he got waived..... NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Don't worry. Nobody took that idea seriously. I don't even care if Poile would see something in the guy and want him. But it wouldn't be to even play 3rd pairing this close to the season. Much less pair with either Suter or Weber.

I get tired of these threads proposing we get rid of or trade our good players in return for other teams discards or third line forwards or defensemen. You'd think all the other teams had been in the Cup finals and the Preds missed the playoffs.

Kevin Klein sucked his way into major ice time helping the Preds score a 100 point season last year and compete well against Chicago. Yeah, he must not be any good. We won with offense.

You guys are too high on Klein...

Old
10-03-2010, 10:35 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Klein didn't look too bad with Cube last year. It was when he was paired with Hamhuis that he looked awful, and I have a feeling some of that is due to Hamhuis having a terrible year. I don't want an immature player on my team, especially one whose immaturity is going to vastly diminish his overall potential. We don't need that, nor do we need another third pairing defender who MIGHT turn into a second pairing defender if developed properly. I'm pretty sure we're stocked with those.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:09 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Well Grabner just got waived today, I guess he is worthless and sucks because he got waived..... NOT!
Grabner of 20 NHL games played in the four seasons after his 1st round selection? Looking at that first round in '06 makes me a little happy that we didn't have a first rounder that year.

Quote:
Too high on Klein? What do you have to be high on to suggest picking up O'Brien for a team that is stacked with talented d-men?

At least the Moose will have a couple of borderline NHLers on their roster this season.

Old
10-03-2010, 11:17 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
I never said I was "high" on Klein. I said he doesn't suck, that he's a legitimate player. He has to play a bit better than last year if we are to be good though, he's being counted on now. He may even improve yet still get bumped down once guys such as Blum and Josi have experience in another couple years, but that's not this year.

It's silly to think a waiver wire pickup this late is going to play in the Preds defense higher than a 6th or 7th man. And it's silly to think we'd get rid of Klein, one of our more experienced guys. You think defenders have no reason to be familiar with each other? No reason it's important they are familiar with the coach's system?

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-03-2010 at 11:31 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:47 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Well Grabner just got waived today, I guess he is worthless and sucks because he got waived..... NOT

Yes a guy that has been released by the powerhouse known as the Florida Panthers is just an awesome forward!

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 03:43 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Yes a guy that has been released by the powerhouse known as the Florida Panthers is just an awesome forward!
If you check out the trade rumours board, everyone is saying that it was a brutal move by florida and that Grabner will be 100% picked up.

Old
10-03-2010, 03:49 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
If you check out the trade rumours board, everyone is saying that it was a brutal move by florida and that Grabner will be 100% picked up.
Because message board denizens know so much more than GMs.

Old
10-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Predsrule

id pick up Grabner in a second.. seen the kid a nice bit in Van... he has more upside then 90 % of our prospects / allot of our current players even..
how ever 1) not sure how we make room on this team for him
2) he wont get past T.O

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote