HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #7: Sabres at Flyers - Friday, Oct. 1, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-02-2010, 11:16 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
once again. learning a new system= struggling at times. that is a fact.
that is not a fact at all.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:33 AM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
csnphilly usually has them.
Here's tonight's:
http://www.csnphilly.com/10/01/10/Fl...968&feedID=695
Thanks a lot

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
that is not a fact at all.
yes it is. when teams aren't collectively on the same page, they struggle.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
From one habitual debater to another, some arguments aren't even worth having.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
From one habitual debater to another, some arguments aren't even worth having.
I was just about to say this. well something similar. Some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:17 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
his statement was: once again. learning a new system= struggling at times. that is a fact.

Well every player struggles at times, not just because of a new system. so when you acquirwe someone, he gets off to a great start. then 2 months down the line he struggles. Dont think that has to do with the system.

Old
10-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
his statement was: once again. learning a new system= struggling at times. that is a fact.

Well every player struggles at times, not just because of a new system. so when you acquirwe someone, he gets off to a great start. then 2 months down the line he struggles. Dont think that has to do with the system.
A great start as far as production does not necessarily mean that the player isn't struggling with the system (players do get "lucky"). If you don't know where your teammates are, or are going to be... that's a problem, even if it isn't necessarily burning you for whatever reason.

Old
10-02-2010, 02:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Anyone else see the instant chemistry between Gustafsson and Timonen. Even if I like how he is playing and think he should make the team (and on last years team would have easily) I think their gonna send him back down anyway. Homer doesnt want to look like a retard for getting Meszaros and O'Donnell and one of them being sent down is a blow to him. Even if Gustafsson is outperforming the both of them, he will get sent down anyway (this is not even counting that Gustafsson is making less then all of them... for the next 3 seasons)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Anyone else see the instant chemistry between Gustafsson and Timonen. Even if I like how he is playing and think he should make the team (and on last years team would have easily) I think their gonna send him back down anyway. Homer doesnt want to look like a retard for getting Meszaros and O'Donnell and one of them being sent down is a blow to him. Even if Gustafsson is outperforming the both of them, he will get sent down anyway (this is not even counting that Gustafsson is making less then all of them... for the next 3 seasons)
Given the salary cap ramifications of the Meszaros trade (both this year and long-term), he'd probably have to knock up Snider's granddaughter and ditch her or something to not make this team.

Old
10-02-2010, 02:39 PM
jb**

Quote:
This is why it was so short sighted to acquire Mezaros. Now if they liked Mezaros over Coburn or Calre, than one of them should have been moved. It was not needed. It basicaly killed any chance for any young player to make the team, no matter how good they may have played. You sign odonnel to shore up the bototm pairing is fine. You let one of the young guys battle it out for the #6 spot. If they show they cant handle it then you can easily acquire a bottom pairign guy who can help without breaking the bank. Mottou signed for what 800k, guys will be on waivers.

Old
10-02-2010, 03:26 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
This is why it was so short sighted to acquire Mezaros. Now if they liked Mezaros over Coburn or Calre, than one of them should have been moved. It was not needed. It basicaly killed any chance for any young player to make the team, no matter how good they may have played. You sign odonnel to shore up the bototm pairing is fine. You let one of the young guys battle it out for the #6 spot. If they show they cant handle it then you can easily acquire a bottom pairign guy who can help without breaking the bank. Mottou signed for what 800k, guys will be on waivers.
Like last year?

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:30 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Like last year?
??? There are always people out there. Homer decided not to go for them though.

Sorry that most of us arent happy with paying a THIRD PAIRING 5.1 million.

Old
10-02-2010, 03:47 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
??? There are always people out there. Homer decided not to go for them though.

Sorry that most of us arent happy with paying a THIRD PAIRING 5.1 million.
I'm not happy at all about paying the third pairing that much either. I was just saying that last year we ended up with crap as a third pairing and if we would have lost anyone in the top 4 due to injury we would have been screwed and probably wouldn't have made it out of the first round in the playoffs. With getting O'donnell and Mezzz we have a great 3 pairing D. And we have a player that will move up to the 1st or 2nd line depending on injuries and this team will not miss much of a beat (unless its Pronger or Kimmo getting injured)

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I'm not happy at all about paying the third pairing that much either. I was just saying that last year we ended up with crap as a third pairing and if we would have lost anyone in the top 4 due to injury we would have been screwed and probably wouldn't have made it out of the first round in the playoffs. With getting O'donnell and Mezzz we have a great 3 pairing D. And we have a player that will move up to the 1st or 2nd line depending on injuries and this team will not miss much of a beat (unless its Pronger or Kimmo getting injured)
Yea, a great 3rd pairing IF Mez and O'Donnell can get their **** straight. O'Donnell isnt that bad and a good signing and being honest, I would like Mez for alot less money. But for the way he has played the past 2 seasons, on yes, I know a ****** team, he doesnt deserve the money he gets. Being honest, I dont trust either one of them on the top 4 if one of our guys gets hurt for a long period of time. Mezz showed he could not take the pressure (he was young, only 22 at the time but still) and OD is reallllyyy old and pretty slow. He doesnt f up the passes which is nice, but he isnt going to be able to take top 4 minutes.

I just think there were cheaper guys out there who could be fine. It goes to show Homer really doesnt have trust in the farm. Now guys who might deserve some NHL time (Gustaffson, and maybe Bourdon) wont get to play no matter how well they play. Its Homer covering his own ass.

Old
10-02-2010, 04:02 PM
jb**

Quote:
Well they had a crap 3rd pairing because the GM choose not to improve it. That could be for several reasons. 1. Thought what they had was good enough. 2. no cap space. 3. No picks or prospects to offer.

You dont acquire someone on the premise that if one of your top 2 dman get hurt he could step in. You dont spend over 5mm for your 3rd pair d. There are cheaper options who will get you the same production asn still allow you to rest the top 2 more than lastyear.

Old
10-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Does anybody think Leino should play with Carter???

I think that combo has serious potential.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 04:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Does anybody think Leino should play with Carter???

I think that combo has serious potential.
Hartnell-Richards-xxxx
JVR-Giroux-Zherdev
Leino-Carter-xxxx
Shelley-Betts-Powe

Fill in the x's with what you want.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Hartnell-Richards-xxxx
JVR-Giroux-Zherdev
Leino-Carter-xxxx
Shelley-Betts-Powe

Fill in the x's with what you want.
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Zherdev - Richards - Giroux
JVR - Carter - Powe?
Shelley - Betts - Holmstrom?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 05:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Zherdev - Richards - Giroux
JVR - Carter - Powe?
Shelley - Betts - Holmstrom?
Oh crap, I forgot about Briere . Also, don't forget Carcillo

Zherdev-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Carcillo
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Shelley-Betts-Powe

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 05:21 PM
agrudez*

I like these lines:

JVR - Carter - Leino
Zherdev - Briere - Giroux
Hartnell - Richards - Carcillo
Powe - Betts - Shelley/AHLer

The first line, with putting Carter and JVR together, would be lightning quick and big (it seems like at least JVR is starting to use his size, too) and I agree that Leino has showed nice chemistry with Carter in the preseason.

That second line is all sorts of gifted offensively, I would probably sub Hartnell for Giroux so that they get some size, but Giroux and Zherdev have had so much chemistry this preseason it is tough to break them up.

The third line becomes your shutdown line with 2 crash and bangers in Carcillo and Hartnell and your Selke candidate captain anchoring the middle.

The 4th line, as Lavi would say, is what it is, but at least it is strong defensively with Powe and Betts.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 05:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Carter-Richards-Zherdev
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
JVR-Giroux-Holmstrom
Shelly-Betts-Carcillo/Powe

So far during preseason, Carcillo hasnt shown he deserves a top 9 spot. Even if you argue he is hurt, that makes a even better case that he shouldnt be in the top 9.

Also Lavy seems to see Giroux as a center. He has played there all preseason so far, and after how well he is doing, I doubt they switch him.

Old
10-02-2010, 05:31 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Carter-Richards-Zherdev
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
JVR-Giroux-Holmstrom

So far during preseason, Carcillo hasnt shown he deserves a top 9 spot. Even if you argue he is hurt, that makes a even better case that he shouldnt be in the top 9.

Also Lavy seems to see Giroux as a center. He has played there all preseason so far, and after how well he is doing, I doubt they switch him.
I like Carter on Richards wing, but I just don't see how it works.

Also, having watched the preseason, how in the world do you separate Zherdev and Giroux? They look like they are on another plane of existence when they are together.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 05:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I like Carter on Richards wing, but I just don't see how it works.

Also, having watched the preseason, how in the world do you separate Zherdev and Giroux? They look like they are on another plane of existence when they are together.
Yea I agree. I was just going with what I tohught might happen. I wouldnt mind:

JVR-Richards-Carter
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
Zherdev-Giroux-Holmstrom
Shelly-Betts-Powe/Carcillo

Old
10-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Carter-Richards-Zherdev
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
JVR-Giroux-Holmstrom

Don't really like those lines.. Carter and Richards together is not really good. They seem not to have chemistry. Its hard to separate Giroux and Z. The only time Carcillo looks decent in the top 9 is when he is with Richards.. For some reason he makes better passes and just looks better overall. Holmstrom with JVR and G?? Nope. Holmstrom should go back to the phantoms. I like him at center because he can win draws. We have a logjam at center so there is no room for him. Id like to see Leino with Carter. For some reason i think Carter would explode with Leino on his wing. They had some nice chemistry against the Sabres.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 05:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Don't really like those lines.. Carter and Richards together is not really good. They seem not to have chemistry. Its hard to separate Giroux and Z. The only time Carcillo looks decent in the top 9 is when he is with Richards.. For some reason he makes better passes and just looks better overall. Holmstrom with JVR and G?? Nope. Holmstrom should go back to the phantoms. I like him at center because he can win draws. We have a logjam at center so there is no room for him. Id like to see Leino with Carter. For some reason i think Carter would explode with Leino on his wing. They had some nice chemistry against the Sabres.
What I think would happen is what my post was before. I 100% dont think Carcillo should be in top 9. Its unfair to put him there when he has had a terrible terribleee preseason and some say he is in pain due to his surgury or whatever. Sorry not trusting a guy who is in pain to play in our top 9 where we expect him to atleast keep up with his teammates, if not do something offensively for the team. He killed his linemates last night and the other games. Then switch Holmstrom to center with Giroux on wing. Holmstrom is decent enough offensively to play with them while bringing the defensive side that Zherdev and even Giroux dont have as much of.

Personally, I still think Guerin will be signed (hope not but just have this feeling... plus the whole Meet the Flyers thing). Then it will look like:

JVR-Richards-Carter
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
Zherdev-Giroux-Guerin
Shelly-Betts-Powe

3rd line defensively makes babies cry... but what can you do...