HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospal Out (Brooks: Possibly out for year? Forever?)

Old
10-02-2010, 06:29 AM
lJuicel

vCash: 500
So what's the over/under on Prospal's games played this season ? About 65 ?

lJuicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Vitto79

so Prospal starts on the IR with Drury? will save some cap money. Also will be tougher for him to reach bonuses

This gives Stepan a spot so lets see if this is a blessing in disguise

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...tout-1.2330342

If there is no structural damage,surgery is not going to cure inflammation/swelling.
Takes half a month for the swelling to go down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so Prospal starts on the IR with Drury? will save some cap money. Also will be tougher for him to reach bonuses

I think Stepan already had that spot. I think this means Fedentenko or Kennedy see more time early in the year.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 06:45 AM
lJuicel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

Anytime we can save cap room is a good idea, plus it'll give Stepan a chance to show what he can do, no matter what that may be.
Prospal had 58pts last year in 75 games, you gotta think he is gonna play less games this year, probably won't get the amount of time on the Gabby line as last year with Christensan and Stepan, so good point on the bonuses.

lJuicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 07:23 AM
bubba5

Have the feeling he will have to get surgury again. If this is something that was bothering him all sumer like he said, it is not going away by getting rest for 2 weeks

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 07:23 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
Um right now he cannot play because he's got a bum knee going on almost a year now. He had that surgery in dec. Its october and he can't get on the ice. He's also going on 37 he's not going to just bounce back. My guess is he's on the shelf most of the year or he's a dog ou there because he can no longer skate.
He's actually 35. He'll be 36 in February.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
This Prospal injury is more serious than the Rangers are letting on I think. I am not sure how much he is going to play this year.
I have been worried about this since his offseason surgery... Plus the fact that he tends to alternate good seasons with bad. Prospal will not be as valuable to this team as he was last season.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Players on injured reserve count against the cap.

LTI is used for long term injuries where the players will miss at least 10 games and 24 games but it only helps teams at or near the upper limit. They can put a player on LTI and use the money to exceed the cap. Drury broke his finger on September 20. One month is October 18. He will miss 4-5 games. Prospal's base salary is $1.08 million and the bonuses are $1.4 million. The Rangers won't get that much relief if Prospal is a long term issue. They already took care of that with the games played bonuses. They have to be at or near the upper limit.

Prospal didn't have surgery this summer. He had knee surgery last December.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Takes half a month for the swelling to go down?

I think Stepan already had that spot. I think this means Fedentenko or Kennedy see more time early in the year.
Something doesn't seem right about the time frame, probably just because it's early in the year and they don't want to rush him into the lineup unless necessary. I bet it's just precaution. I really wish they didn't let us know specifics on injuries because everyone reads way to much into it.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:15 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The team doesnt need secondary scoring at all. No, we don't need Prospal. Some of you are unbelievable.
If he had said "I just want to move onto the next phase of the Rangers future. A future that let's be honest prospal won't be a part of" That I'd give it to him but we all know that's not what they meant. You're right it is a bit unbelievable.

As far as this season goes Prospal and Drury should be on this team. Both are positive contributors on the ice. I won't complain without them though b/c it gives the youth especially Step a spot on the team.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hey rangerboy....question for ya...if you waive a player, and then trade him away for whatever reason (like say you waive him, and then he explodes in the A) does the team that acquires him have to place the player back on re-entry waivers in order for him to play on the NHL squad?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
Like insaid originally the longer drury and prospal are out the better!!!
Yeah you're right. I'm sure Fedotenko, who has had over 40 pts. once in his career, or Kennedy with his 10g and 16a will be able to replace Prospal's production.

Hell, I'm even sure Stepan will be able to jump right into the lineup as a rookie and score 60 pts....Give me a break. I love Stepan's game but are you willing to predict that he will score 60 pts. in his rookie year at this point? That's kind of pushing it I think.

Prospal has had below 50 pts. once in the last 5 seasons and that was on a TB team that finished 2nd to last IN THE LEAGUE. Freakin' Vinny L had 67 pts. on that team.

Yeah you may not be able to count on Prospal scoring 80 like he did in 2005 or 71 like he did in 2007 but judging by last season he had with Gaborik I would sure as hell count on him having 55.

Until he goes out there and looks like he's finished, there is not a chance I wouldn't want Prospal on this team for his salary.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Nyrfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
hey rangerboy....question for ya...if you waive a player, and then trade him away for whatever reason (like say you waive him, and then he explodes in the A) does the team that acquires him have to place the player back on re-entry waivers in order for him to play on the NHL squad?
Well i am not RangerBoy but the answer is yes and boy would a team that actually allowed a player to clear waivers and then traded for them look dumb.
Just think about Avery's situation, he cleared the rangers passed on claiming him and agreed to take him of re-entry but how dumb would they have looked to trade for him after he cleared?

Nyrfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrfan25 View Post
Well i am not RangerBoy but the answer is yes and boy would a team that actually allowed a player to clear waivers and then traded for them look dumb.
Just think about Avery's situation, he cleared the rangers passed on claiming him and agreed to take him of re-entry but how dumb would they have looked to trade for him after he cleared?
well it could be a salary thing too right? you dont wanna pick up a player at full price when they go down, but if you can trade an expensive piece back to offset some of the salary, then you can do it...like Souray for example..he plays in the A, looks great, Rangers decide they are willing to trade something with a price tag on it for him to offset the cap hit...know what i mean?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Nyrfan25

I see your point but that would also mean for that team to actually use that player they would have to re-call him and risk paying half his salary and getting nothing in return.
I doubt it has ever happened and i sure can not remember it taking place.
I am trying to think of a way it could and i just can not.

Nyrfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:30 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
well it could be a salary thing too right? you dont wanna pick up a player at full price when they go down, but if you can trade an expensive piece back to offset some of the salary, then you can do it...like Souray for example..he plays in the A, looks great, Rangers decide they are willing to trade something with a price tag on it for him to offset the cap hit...know what i mean?
That's true. Just because a team wouldn't take a player on waivers doesn't mean they wouldn't trade for him. It's all about the cap.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Prospal isnt worth anything, the longer he's out the better? He carried the scoring behind gabby last year as a 35 year old. Like someone else said, he had 11 points in 20 games after his injury on the second line. He put up over 20 G and 30 A on a team that could not score. We dont need that because we POTENTIALLY have solid kids who can score. And I dont know what you're talking about with the whole secondary scoring and relying on the aging prospal to provide that because I'm pretty sure we have a guy by the name of frolov to fill that role. The likes of prospal, duby, cally, and others will probably produce around 45-65 points. That's a bonus. And lets not forget that were paying prospal pennies for his services. Some people make me wonder if they really know anything about hockey and the business of it.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

I think Prospal's real value was his ability to click well with Gaborik, either centering or playing left wing on the 1st line. Those roles have been filled by a couple of players you would tend to believe have more upside in the role.

Beyond that, he's a decent 2nd/3rd line wing... but do you want him taking time away from Avery, Callahan, Dubinsky, and perhaps Zuccarello-Aasen?

This isn't really a killer. He's serviceable, but there are other, younger players I would like to see out there for the Rangers right now.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Xtranova

Just read in a Norwegian paper that MZA is called back... ? (At least for tonight's game against Ottawa).. Any line ups confirmed yet there ?

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:35 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
Just read in a Norwegian paper that MZA is called back... ? (At least for tonight's game against Ottawa).. Any line ups confirmed yet there ?
Yep. He is playing with the Rangers. Along with Weise. With Prospal and Drury out and Torts wanting to rest some players they decided to call up a couple of players.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:44 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

The swelling can be drained, which can probably be considered surgery in a way.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:58 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
So much veteran hate around here. Prospal's been nothing but awesome for us at a discounted rate. He provides us with leadership on a team that IMO probably lacks enough of it. This team will miss Prospal when he's out of the line-up, same goes for Drury. How much is yet to be seen.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Rangers44*

Started last season with 16 points in 12 games, but ended with 6 points in 14 games.

Time to retire, Naslund did it even without the injury and with higher salary.

And same goes for Rozsival, he and Prospal are not needed on the team and they aren't going to be same players they were.

Ask them to retire and play in soft European leagues.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The swelling can be drained, which can probably be considered surgery in a way.
Ive seen knees drained before, where they just stick a needle in and pull the liquid out.

But this could be entirely different, no idea. We need a medical professional on these boards.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 03:42 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I gotta say, I'm a littler surprised. preseason is over and the start of the regular season is almost upon us and you still don't know who will centre your top line? You think Torts might want to get on that one...

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote