HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stick question for puck moving defenceman

Old
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM
puckmover

vCash: 500
stick question for puck moving defenceman

hi new here to the form,

i used to play at a college level hockey, and have always played a shut down defenceman role,

but now i have changed my game up and am playing a more of a puck moving type. because of my speed

my question im currently using a drury curve, which i found at first my slapshots went high but later on when i turned my wrist over i got more control over my shots, which is good,

but now since im doing more rushing and more puck handling i feel i should change my blade pattern, i feel the heel curve hinders my stick handling,

any suggestions for a good blade pattern for a puck moving defence,

thanks in advance,

adam

puckmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Blueshockey2*

I turned into a puck moving dman in high school. I currently use Easton (Sakic) and Warrior (Draper) .

I thought about giving the Getzlaf/Lidstrom a shot but I don't know how much it will change up my shots.

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckmover View Post

my question im currently using a drury curve, which i found at first my slapshots went high but later on when i turned my wrist over i got more control over my shots, which is good, but now i feel the heel curve hinders my stick handling, any suggestions for a good blade pattern for a puck moving defence,

thanks in advance,

adam
Ok, this might sound crazy...but did you check the stick length? Maybe it's too short or maybe it too long. Sometimes, not all the time, heel hindering comes from an incorrect length of the stick. That is if I understand your question correctly.

Check the length of the stick by placing the blade on the ground and the stick shaft touching your nose. mark the stick just under you nose and then cut it on that mark for the proper length.

Now, maybe you are saying in your head...I know this dumb a**. But just because you have played college, doesn't mean you know. Why? I have seen too many college kids with the wrong length on their stick. And when I confronted them...they said they didn't know. Now just because you said college...was that College Club Hockey? You see, I don't know.

So this this first before you change!

Head coach

10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd use whatever you're comfortable with. You could try a Forsberg, as it's a bit shorter and flatter for passes, or an Iginla type which is a lot shorter and has a bit of curve to it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:02 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok, this might sound crazy...but did you check the stick length? Maybe it's too short or maybe it too long. Sometimes, not all the time, heel hindering comes from an incorrect length of the stick. That is if I understand your question correctly.

Check the length of the stick by placing the blade on the ground and the stick shaft touching your nose. mark the stick just under you nose and then cut it on that mark for the proper length.

Now, maybe you are saying in your head...I know this dumb a**. But just because you have played college, doesn't mean you know. Why? I have seen too many college kids with the wrong length on their stick. And when I confronted them...they said they didn't know. Now just because you said college...was that College Club Hockey? You see, I don't know.

So this this first before you change!

Head coach
Yeah and plenty of NHLers use the wrong length stick. Tell Datsyuk his stick is too long and Crosby his stick is too short. There is no "right" stick length.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Yeah and plenty of NHLers use the wrong length stick. Tell Datsyuk his stick is too long and Crosby his stick is too short. There is no "right" stick length.
There's a generally accepted range and where Head Coach recommended is about the middle of that range. People can adjust from there.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:36 PM
puckmover

thanks again,

for the feed back but ,you all have good points, id like to stay off the topic about stick length and more towards stick patterns,

im currently debating to switching my curve from a drury to a Iginla curve,

for a puck moving defenceman what are your opinions,

thanks

Old
10-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Do you have a shaft that you could buy a cheap wood blade to try out the pattern? That would be best compared to spending $150+ on a new stick in case you don't like it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 04:43 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

It sounds to me like the lie may be wrong for you. That'll hurt stick handling more than ANYTHING else.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:46 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
There's a generally accepted range and where Head Coach recommended is about the middle of that range. People can adjust from there.
The generally acceptable range is from below the clavicle to the top of the forehead, giving the median is just bad advice. Cutting a players stick for the hell of it is asking for issues with having to adjust the lie, flex, hand positioning, skating position... ie EVERYTHING.

Old
10-03-2010, 01:30 PM
stamkosisboss

I have found a Crosby stick is a nice all around curve to use. You may need to change up your technique on slap shots because of the curve but passing and stickhandleing is mint.

stamkosisboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:37 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamkosisboss View Post
I have found a Crosby stick is a nice all around curve to use. You may need to change up your technique on slap shots because of the curve but passing and stickhandleing is mint.
The Reebok Crosby is Sakic/Naslund. Personally, I really struggle to keep my shots down with it. I have to really think about it or else it'll be sailing over the glass.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 10-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old
10-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
thanks again,

for the feed back but ,you all have good points, id like to stay off the topic about stick length and more towards stick patterns,

im currently debating to switching my curve from a drury to a Iginla curve,

for a puck moving defenceman what are your opinions,

thanks

I would suggest any of Iginla/Heatly/Zetterberg curves

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
The Reebok Crosby is Sakic/Naslund. Personally, I really struggle to keep my shots down with it. I have to really think about it or else it'll be sailing over the glass.
Agreed. I've been playing forward for years using the Naslund because I like to pick corners in close and find it's a nice curve for tight puck handling and getting the puck up quickly, but recently I've dropped back to defense because our roster going into this season is weakest there and I'm one of the best skaters and have the most experience and now I'm having a little bit of trouble adjusting to keep my shot down in the heat of play during our scrimmages. I just picked up a new One95 over the summer so I just have two One95 Naslund curves so I'm going to have to adjust my shot before the first game rolls around. It's not so hard to control a shot, but under pressure from far out, it's easy to send a puck 2 feet over the net with that curve.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:12 PM
puckmover

thanks for all these opinions there very helpfull,

nasland is basically the sakic in easton,

i think its a bit drastic for a defenceman,

i used to have a Forsberg/ malkin awhile ago, its nice but wanted abit more curve to it,

i think the iginla or heatly are my best option for my playing style,

i hear the iginla blade is smaller?

if so is it that noticeable,

Old
10-03-2010, 11:26 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:

i used to have a Forsberg/ malkin awhile ago, its nice but wanted abit more curve to it,

Sounds like you might like a Kane/Thornton. Iggy and Heater are short blades, which you probably won't like as a D.

Old
10-04-2010, 04:07 PM
TBLfan

Quote:

Are you stuck on Easton? A Recchi/Tavares would work well for you if you're looking for a bigger blade but an Iginla-type pattern.

Old
10-05-2010, 08:56 AM
puckmover

no,

not stuck on easton,

just been using bauer and easton in the past,