HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question for Rangers fans about Tom Renney...

Old
10-02-2010, 12:45 PM
DubiDubiDoo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
If oyu can see past his poor fashion sense, then you are in for a pleasant surprise.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
If oyu can see past his poor fashion sense, then you are in for a pleasant surprise.
I don't know what you are talking about!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 05:00 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
People forget, that Tom Renney once owned/ran a men's clothing shop. Like it not, but Tom Renney does have "style", no matter if you like it or not.

Now John Tortorella on the other hand, I think he has the same tie and suit collection from when he entered the league. It would be one thing if the clothes were "lucky," but his record the last few seasons as a head coach don't seem to mimic said luck. Maybe Mark Messier can get him some new clothes (as there are many stories of Mark getting new rookies and acquisitions short-term clothing).

frozenrubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He never hesitated to play a goon, and let the guys get into the rough stuff. It wasn't his thing, but he never shied away from promoting that aspect of the game. He liked Ryan Hollweg and Colton Orr...one of the top heavyweights and an insane guy who took mad penalties but always stuck up for his 'mates.

He's a good Western Canadian guy. Not afraid of physicality.

EDIT: As the regulars here will tell you, I also think Renney is a terrific coach. I think you guys will be pleased with him.
This pretty much sums it up.

Renney is a good coach, and you guys definitely picked up the right one. He provides a pretty calm environment, but he does have a sharp side and can put out decent amounts of discipline. Definitely isn't afraid to send out the heavyweights, as you asked. One thing that's especially fitting for you guys, is that Renney is very, very good with the younger players. He'll help Edmonton develop their core. However, from my understanding, you have a pretty flashy set of offensive players of there, even on the backend. Not sure Renney is the best coach for that. I can't say for sure, because the Rangers have been deprived of that kind of talent for years, but he's always played a very conservative and defensive style here.

I don't follow Edmonton, so I don't know what style he's been coaching, but he's always played conservative here.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:38 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
This pretty much sums it up.

Renney is a good coach, and you guys definitely picked up the right one. He provides a pretty calm environment, but he does have a sharp side and can put out decent amounts of discipline. Definitely isn't afraid to send out the heavyweights, as you asked. One thing that's especially fitting for you guys, is that Renney is very, very good with the younger players. He'll help Edmonton develop their core. However, from my understanding, you have a pretty flashy set of offensive players of there, even on the backend. Not sure Renney is the best coach for that. I can't say for sure, because the Rangers have been deprived of that kind of talent for years, but he's always played a very conservative and defensive style here.

I don't follow Edmonton, so I don't know what style he's been coaching, but he's always played conservative here.
Hasn't been a very conservative pre-season, at least.

Seems like there's a forward at center every time the defense gets the puck in Edmonton's zone.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:40 AM
ToothlessAggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
he never benches players even when they do deserve it.
So he's the complete opposite of MacT, who would bench certain players for every little mistake. I still think he ruined Robert Nilsson.

ToothlessAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

great coach, classy man....still love him

i dont think hes a guy that can lead your team to a stanley cup, but for a team with such young players he will be great!

should be happy with having him....good luck

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:59 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Renney was never a defense-focused coach until he came here. Not in junior hockey, not at the international level, not in Vancouver.

He'll work with whatever you have on your roster.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 05:57 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
He never hesitated to play a goon, and let the guys get into the rough stuff. It wasn't his thing, but he never shied away from promoting that aspect of the game. He liked Ryan Hollweg and Colton Orr...one of the top heavyweights and an insane guy who took mad penalties but always stuck up for his 'mates.

He's a good Western Canadian guy. Not afraid of physicality.

EDIT: As the regulars here will tell you, I also think Renney is a terrific coach. I think you guys will be pleased with him.
Yep. Yep. Yep .Yep and Yep.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Renney was never a defense-focused coach until he came here. Not in junior hockey, not at the international level, not in Vancouver.

He'll work with whatever you have on your roster.
Yep and the exact opposite of Tortorella who just tries imposing the system that he got lucky with in TB despite the fact that we have no Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richard, etc.

If Edmonton has a tough guy with a long fuse, Renney can easily work with him to be a 10-15 min/game guy like he did with Orr.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote