HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

PRESEASON #9 | RED WINGS vs. LEAFS | Leafs 4 - Wings 2

Old
10-02-2010, 10:12 PM
ComrieFanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
- I think Phaneuf is playing with an undisclosed injury.
Highly doubt it. Leafs wouldn't have played him in so many pre-season games, especially back-to-back games, if he had an injury. If they were cautious with Schenn they would have shown the same caution with Dion.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:17 PM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
Consider the fact that prior to coming here, he was continually on the decline.

What if at this point in time, phaneuf is only as good as what we've seen?

I'm not trying to be negative or write him off, but until we see him coming back into his prior form, he's just not that good of a D-man in a lot of ways.

His attitude is one we need, but his play is lacking at this point in time. Hopefully it'll change, but until we see it we won't know.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Solaris

Kaberle shooting adds a whole new element to the powerplay, I liked what I saw there.

Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
Well, the pre-season is over and I still have some concerns with our defensive-zone coverage. Komisarek, Phaneuf and Gunarsson have all looked poor throughout the last two weeks. Beachemin has been average, Kaberle has shown some flashes of brilliance, and Schenn has looked great. I'm sure some of the poor play can be attributed to veterans coasting during the pre-season, but man does Komi looked slow and unreliable, and Phaneuf is still making some major mental mistakes.

Our best game was against Ottawa on Wednesday. Everyone played pretty well and it was a good match against both team's top players. I see us having some really good games like that one, and then some games where everything goes wrong again.

Overall, our offense is looking better, our special teams look improved, but our defense and transition game still has some major issues. With our group of defenders, we shouldn't still be having these problems. Either Wilson can't fix them or the players aren't listening to what he's saying.
this still worries me partially I mean our defense should be our strongest point and it seems lackluster at times.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Kaberle shooting adds a whole new element to the powerplay, I liked what I saw there.
i was checking out the stats from my iphone in a party and i was like this has to be a defect in the app or something man

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Leafs Are Good

Preseason is officially over and early assumptions must now be made!

Looks like the same old same old to me....offense looks bad but is actually decent enough, defense looks great and is actually piss poor.

Hope I'm wrong....

At least goaltending should be somewhat improved.....we'll see....

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:41 PM
seanlinden

Personally, one of the players I was most impressed with as Jakub Kindl.....He looked good last night, but that could be expected playing in those surroundings. However, tonight, he looked just as good if not better surrounded by the Grand Rapids Griffins going up against an NHL team.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Mike1

Here are some of my thoughts on the Leafs pre-season.

Pros

-the Versteeg-Bozak-Kessel line has looked good for most of the pre-season. Kessel looks like he is good for 30 again, Versteeg has been impressive. Question is can we get enough offense on other lines so this line can be kept together?
-Kulemin is another guy who has looked very good & I think this will be his first 20 goal campaign.
-Special teams has looked better.

Cons

-Goaltending hasn't been terrible(outside of yesterday's game) but it hasn't be stellar either.
-Ineffective & sloppy team defensive play. (#1 issue)
-The 3rd line center spot. They can kiss Brent's *** all they want but he isn't the answer. The team can't afford to have an offensive black hole there & it's something Burke has to address.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:28 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

They gotta stop with this 9 preseason games crap. Just way, way too many.

And when you end off the 9 games against an AHL team desperate to impress, you're just asking for trouble. If Schenn's knee had buckled on that play it would have been an absolute disaster. Nice to see Schenner pound the tar out of that guy in response, though.

Speaking of Schenn, this kid looks poised for a monster year. He looks great. Wilson started using a Kabby-Schenn pair towards the end and I think that's a keeper. The way Gunnar and Komi have played this preseason they have to be strictly bottom pair guys until they show some improvement.

And I'm trying to be positive about Brent but the guy just stinks. He doesn't do anything well aside from winning faceoffs. Our "third line" has one legit 3rd liner (Armstrong), one 4th liner (Sjostrom), and one AHLer (Brent). That is not a 3rd line - that is a 4th line. We are starting the season with 2 4th lines. That's probably not a good idea.

Thank god this preseason dreck is over with.

And nice move by Wilson to get Rynnas in there in the third to end off his camp on a more positive note. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that was Giggy's idea.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:29 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anyone know why Kessel wanted a piece of Ritola in the 1st period (around 10 minute mark)?

Kessel rarely sacrifices his body for a check but he really wanted to let Ritola have it, he then went as far as ripping the guy's helmet off during the scrum after the whistle... so what ticked him off?

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:35 PM
leafsfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

And when you end off the 9 games against an AHL team desperate to impress, you're just asking for trouble. If Schenn's knee had buckled on that play it would have been an absolute disaster. Nice to see Schenner pound the tar out of that guy in response, though.

Speaking of Schenn, this kid looks poised for a monster year. He looks great. Wilson started using a Kabby-Schenn pair towards the end and I think that's a keeper. The way Gunnar and Komi have played this preseason they have to be strictly bottom pair guys until they show some improvement.

And I'm trying to be positive about Brent but the guy just stinks. He doesn't do anything well aside from winning faceoffs. Our "third line" has one legit 3rd liner (Armstrong), one 4th liner (Sjostrom), and one AHLer (Brent). That is not a 3rd line - that is a 4th line. We are starting the season with 2 4th lines. That's probably not a good idea.

And nice move by Wilson to get Rynnas in there in the third to end off his camp on a more positive note. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that was Giggy's idea.
1000% agree. I think Hanson should be a better fit at the third centre and if sjostrom doesnt do a good job at pk he should not be on roster, I think i prefer Brown over sjostrom at 4th line though but he could be a decent 4th liner.

leafsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Albi34

all i can say is, im so glad schenn is a leaf.

Albi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

Yeah I dont understand why Leafs have to play 9 pre-season games. I doubt any other team plays this much so why us? the profits generated from pre-season?

Anyways I agree with the Brent thing. I really really hope Burke finds someone better before regular season starts. Personally, I would have Caputi in the 3rd line instead of Sjostrom, he should be the 13th forward.

Caputi - Morrison??? or Hanson??? - Armstrong - I would be fine with something like that.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam50 View Post
Does anyone know why Kessel wanted a piece of Ritola in the 1st period (around 10 minute mark)?

Kessel rarely sacrifices his body for a check but he really wanted to let Ritola have it, he then went as far as ripping the guy's helmet off during the scrum after the whistle... so what ticked him off?
Ritola gave Kessel a whack in front of the net earlier in the shift, Kessel retaliated and it just continued in the scrum later.

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:54 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Yeah I dont understand why Leafs have to play 9 pre-season games. I doubt any other team plays this much so why us? the profits generated from pre-season?

Anyways I agree with the Brent thing. I really really hope Burke finds someone better before regular season starts. Personally, I would have Caputi in the 3rd line instead of Sjostrom, he should be the 13th forward.

Caputi - Morrison??? or Hanson??? - Armstrong - I would be fine with something like that.
Most teams play 7 or 8 pre-season games. The Leafs have added one extra the last few years so they can have the Fans First game.

No one was forcing Toronto to play their regulars as often as they did (I think the only game that featured mostly AHL players was the Fans First game).

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:07 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Well not a bad game overall. Did give the team some chances to work on the special teams quite a bit. Like sticking Phanuef in front of the net on the powerplay. Guy is just hard to move from that spot.

First line is looking solid and it will be a dangerous one when the chances show up.

Liking Schenn's play overall and seems he's past the problems he had last year which is good. The defence overall still worries me. They have to be more solid than they have been considering how much talent is there.

Glad the preseason is done though. Want to get to the real games.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshy View Post
I actually don't think Phaneuf is giving it his all, since it's the preseason. I mean, he hasn't really been physical that much. I think he's had 1 big hit. Maybe he just doesn't wanna get hurt before the season starts.

Hopefully he steps his physical game up. Offensively he's been great though.
There have actually been a couple of times where I see Phaneuf clearly let up on a big hit or two in the preseason. Not sure why that would be but I guess he's saving it all for the real season.
Anyone else notice the same thing with Phaneuf?
Can't remember the exact game but it was two leaf defencemen against a forward and Phaneuf crossed over but just pushed him a little instead of unloading on him. Wish I had a better memory of which game.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Solaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
There have actually been a couple of times where I see Phaneuf clearly let up on a big hit or two in the preseason. Not sure why that would be but I guess he's saving it all for the real season.
Can't remember the exact game but it was two leaf defencemen against a forward and Phaneuf crossed over but just pushed him a little instead of unloading on him. Wish I had a better memory of which game.
Maybe he's wary of becoming a victim of the rule change.

Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:29 AM
william_adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
Consider the fact that prior to coming here, he was continually on the decline.

What if at this point in time, phaneuf is only as good as what we've seen?

I'm not trying to be negative or write him off, but until we see him coming back into his prior form, he's just not that good of a D-man in a lot of ways.

His attitude is one we need, but his play is lacking at this point in time. Hopefully it'll change, but until we see it we won't know.
I think he has looked great. What he seemed to lack last year was that offensive aspect that we saw in his first few years in Calgary. He seems to have found it this year. Dion Phaneuf is never going to be Ray Bourque in the defensive zone, but I'm satisfied with exactly what he is: a better skating Bryan McCabe.

I wonder how long Wilson is going to be able to justly having Komi in the top 4 on D. I hink at best he's our 5th defenseman...

What a power play/first line! Haven't had that kind of scary offense since Alex Mogilny was flanking Mats...

william_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam50 View Post

Not sure, but I would guess something happened earlier that shift. It seems Kessel, while clearly not a power-forward, is a retaliator, when he thinks someone gave him a cheap-shot, he actually does go after them. The play just spilled over into the scrum afterwards when Ritola was helping Abdelkader beat on Steeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
Ya, I've noticed him going light on plays with chances for big hits. I'm willing to be it's just a "I've been in the league for 5 years now, I'm the captain, let's take it easy until the season starts" mentality, and not Dion becoming timid all of a sudden thing. He's been playing well offensively though, so I'm happy with that, just hope he can flick the switch on that mentality now that games start to have meaning.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:42 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshy View Post
I actually don't think Phaneuf is giving it his all, since it's the preseason. I mean, he hasn't really been physical that much. I think he's had 1 big hit. Maybe he just doesn't wanna get hurt before the season starts.

Hopefully he steps his physical game up. Offensively he's been great though.
I think a guy like him can`t even NOT give his best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
this still worries me partially I mean our defense should be our strongest point and it seems lackluster at times.
that seems to be the story of the leafs, year by year
hasn`t Allaire (sp?) a brother who teaches D?!?

frostyflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 03:08 AM
sk8turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
To have a good transiton game, you need defence who are actually able to make the pass up to the forwards without turning it over. The only 3 players we have on the blueline that excel in that area are Kaberle, Gunnarsson and maybe Schenn. Komiserak is a nightmare waiting to happen when he handles the puck, Beauchimen lacks the stickhandling and common sense to make a good pass out of the zone. Phaneuf is average in this area.
Agree completely on the Komi comment. Everytime he gets the puck, I hold my breath a little. Its kind of ridiculous.

sk8turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 08:00 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan2 View Post
1000% agree. I think Hanson should be a better fit at the third centre and if sjostrom doesnt do a good job at pk he should not be on roster, I think i prefer Brown over sjostrom at 4th line though but he could be a decent 4th liner.
Hanson would not be a better fit than Brent. He's more of an offensive black hole (if that's even possible).

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 08:27 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

On the hit on Schenn:

The NHL has added a guideline to their officials for low, leg hits (their video shows hits like the infamous Tucker hit on Peca and knee on knee/hip on leg hits) along with the more publicized "headshots" guidelines. Obviously the referees didn't think that hit was a low, leg hit requiring a penalty but rather a hip check. But there's a reason why Schenn got ticked off. That's the type of hit that can shorten a career by snapping a knee ligament.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 08:36 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Did you guys think Abdelkaders hip check was dirty? Personally, I thought it was well executed and totally legal.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote