HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason Bill Guerin thread.. (Post #405 Guerin Released)

Old
10-01-2010, 11:55 PM
PensFreak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
From 6 seconds to 9 seconds will now haunt me for the rest of my life.... Feels like he is staring at me through the video....

Thanks

(I know its old but still... damn)
With that stache he looks like he's related to Danny Carcillo in one way or another...

But yeah, i could've told you guys that Guerin is done. Just doesn't have it anymore.

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Shoeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i thought carcillo worked well with richie last year. hes a nice disruptive force that creates opportunities for richie to go the other way. id rather see

jvr carter zherdev zherdev richards giroux
carcillo richards giroux or jvr carter carcillo
hartnell briere leino
kalinski* betts powe

* im convinced now that kalinski powe would just be a whole new dimension of speed on the pk and who better to come in for lapi then a guy who almost ended his career blocking a shot? but ya know theyll probably just play shelly
what worked last year doesn't necessarily mean it will work this year. i felt that carcillo helped gagne out more than it helped richards, but thats my opinion. same goes for the hartnell briere leiono line.

what would guerin's cap hit be? it would be for only one year and having a veteran is better than another young player. betts, richards, carter, powe, giroux, lappy (when he comes back) would all play the pk over kalinski. and btw if any young player deserves to make the team as a pk fourth line grinder, its nodl. if everyone stopped making him out to be a top line sniper and realized that he would make a really good line mate with betts and carcillo/shelly than everyone would love him.

carcillo is best suited for a fourth line role on this team and a replacement for a top nine player, where guerin is only suited for a top nine.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post

what would guerin's cap hit be? it would be for only one year and having a veteran is better than another young player.
I'm sorry what? Guerin is crap. Why can't anyone see this

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
a veteran is decidedly worse than a young player, if that veteran is abysmal ****

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:41 AM
jb**

How good a camp has LW Ruslan Fedotenko had with the Rangers? He is on a pro tryout, and least three other teams have contacted New York’s leading scorer in the pre-season to say they’re interested in him if GM Glen Sather doesn’t sign him to a contract per the Ottawa Sun.

Wonder how many teasm have contacted Guerin?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 08:23 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
How good a camp has LW Ruslan Fedotenko had with the Rangers? He is on a pro tryout, and least three other teams have contacted New York’s leading scorer in the pre-season to say they’re interested in him if GM Glen Sather doesn’t sign him to a contract per the Ottawa Sun.

Wonder how many teasm have contacted Guerin?
Remember how awesome Pyorala was in the 2009-10 preseason?

Remember where he was soon after?

Preseason means squat. I hope the Rangers waste a contract on him. In fact, they can have Guerin too. I'd rather throw Nodl in there.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 08:31 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Just because Fedetenko is russian doesnt mean he is less of a bum than Guerin

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 08:46 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Remember how awesome Pyorala was in the 2009-10 preseason?

Remember where he was soon after?

Preseason means squat. I hope the Rangers waste a contract on him. In fact, they can have Guerin too. I'd rather throw Nodl in there.
Bad comparision. Very bad comparision considering that Fedotenko has been an solid nhl player for how many years now? Where aa Pyorala never even sniffed the nhl. So try again. He had a brutal year last year. He will rebound and put up his usual numbers. Fedotneko is 10x the player Nodl is right now, even after his bad year. I guess Nodl has taken over the Maroon role for the prospect that you will continue to push even though he has no spot on this team right now. He is not a top 9 player, accept it, get over it, and move on.

Old
10-03-2010, 08:52 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Bad comparision. Very bad comparision considering that Fedotenko has been an solid nhl player for how many years now? Where aa Pyorala never even sniffed the nhl. So try again. He had a brutal year last year. He will rebound and put up his usual numbers. Fedotneko is 10x the player Nodl is right now, even after his bad year. I guess Nodl has taken over the Maroon role for the prospect that you will continue to push even though he has no spot on this team right now. He is not a top 9 player, accept it, get over it, and move on.
You are a broken record. Your bizarre obsession with Fedotenko is pretty odd though.

Old
10-03-2010, 08:59 AM
jb**

Quote:
You are a broken record. Your bizarre obsession with Fedotenko is pretty odd though.
If i am a broken reocrd what word would describe you? My obsession, ok chief. What do you call what you have for Nodl, Maroon, both goalies prospects and countless others? A sick case of puppy love? That was a good comparision though i must say.

Preseason doesnt mean squat, not true. If it did guys who are on try out offers would have no shot to make teams now would they. So your wrong again. Isnt preseason where players earn jobs? Like your new best buddy Nodl, he had a good camp and played well. Think it means squat to him?

Do they rotate staff members when it comes to covering teams? If so when is your time up with the flyers?

Last edited by jb**: 10-03-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old
10-03-2010, 09:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Just because Fedetenko is russian doesnt mean he is less of a bum than Guerin
He's Ukrainian dammit.

Quote:
If Nodl could create a goal, or provide any sort of offense, he would be in there ahead of Guerin.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

You do have an unhealthy obsession with gettings feds back on this team

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:13 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
If i am a broken reocrd what word would describe you? My obsession, ok chief. What do you call what you have for Nodl, Maroon, both goalies prospects and countless others?
Nodl may not have a nose for the net, but he is great on the boards, solid defensively, and fits our system very well. Though it's not likely he ever finds his offensive touch, he's not going to drag a line down like Guerin, take a stupid penalty all the time like Carcillo, or blow 9 out of every 10 chances by having bricks for hands like Powe. If Nodl would just throw the puck at the net good things would happen for him, but he hasn't put two and two together. He'll win you the puck at the very least.

Maroon would be a great if he could skate better. You saw what happened to Bourdon playing defense. That's what happens when skating gets you into trouble. That said, Maroon's still got some genius hands to go along with the size to make things happen around the net.

You give Nodl all of Maroon's hands and nose for the net and we'd enjoy watching the fireworks that come from it.

It's not that I'm obsessive about our prospects, but they do have some nice potential.

As far as our goalie prospects are concerned, you finally saw what Bobrovsky is capable of and your questioning my judgement on him? I put a poll up after we signed him as to who the Flyers' board liked better; him or Eriksson. It was kind of a question designed for who our two top prospects would be. It wouldn't determine my final ranking for the top 20 in a big way, but both of our goalie prospects are very good. Hell, there's a thread devoted to making Bobrovsky our starter NOW. I'm not sure how much more evidence you need.

Quote:
A sick case of puppy love? That was a good comparision though i must say.
Puppy love? Just because I think our prospects are capable of something.

How good has Gustafsson looked in preseason?

I was never high on Testwuide or Holmstrom, but they looked pretty good out there. Bourdon and Lehtivuori didn't do half bad either.

Quote:
Preseason doesnt mean squat. If it did guys who are on try out offers wold have no shot to make teams now would they.
It means the world to these kids looking to reach their dreams of playing in the NHL, but for a guy like Fedotenko playing against B and C teams, it doesn't really matter what he's doing. We've seen him suck it up during the regular season already, and he's certainly not going to be getting any better than he already is at his age. These kids have their entire futures ahead of them.

Quote:
So your wring again. Isnt pteseaosn where players earn jobs? Like your new best buddy Nodl, he had a good camp and played well. Think it means squat to him?
What is this? A moral stand?

Quote:
Do they rotate staff members when it comes to covering teams? If so when is your time up with the flyers?
You want to try your luck at my job? Maybe Bertilsson would be our top prospect.

Old
10-03-2010, 09:22 AM
jb**

Quote:
Nodl may not have a nose for the net, but he is great on the boards, solid defensively, and fits our system very well. Though it's not likely he ever finds his offensive touch, he's not going to drag a line down like Guerin, take a stupid penalty all the time like Carcillo, or blow 9 out of every 10 chances by having bricks for hands like Powe. If Nodl would just throw the puck at the net good things would happen for him, but he hasn't put two and two together. He'll win you the puck at the very least.

Maroon would be a great if he could skate better. You saw what happened to Bourdon playing defense. That's what happens when skating gets you into trouble. That said, Maroon's still got some genius hands to go along with the size to make things happen around the net.

You give Nodl all of Maroon's hands and nose for the net and we'd enjoy watching the fireworks that come from it.

It's not that I'm obsessive about our prospects, but they do have some nice potential.

As far as our goalie prospects are concerned, you finally saw what Bobrovsky is capable of and your questioning my judgement on him? I put a poll up after we signed him as to who the Flyers' board liked better; him or Eriksson. It was kind of a question designed for who our two top prospects would be. It wouldn't determine my final ranking for the top 20 in a big way, but both of our goalie prospects are very good. Hell, there's a thread devoted to making Bobrovsky our starter NOW. I'm not sure how much more evidence you need.

I was never high on Testwuide or Holmstrom, but they looked pretty good out there. Bourdon and Lehtivuori didn't do half bad either.

It means the world to these kids looking to reach their dreams of playing in the NHL, but for a guy like Fedotenko playing against B and C teams, it doesn't really matter what he's doing. We've seen him suck it up during the regular season already, and he's certainly not going to be getting any better than he already is at his age. These kids have their entire futures ahead of them.

You want to try your luck at my job? Maybe Bertilsson would be our top prospect.
Your the best, keep up the good work.

Old
10-03-2010, 09:26 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Your the best, keep up the good work.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, champ.

Old
10-03-2010, 09:28 AM
CptCannon

Yet another thread infected by the Shafer vs. NWO -disease.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:37 AM
jb**

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, champ.
Why do you always make excuses for the prospects? If nodl could this, if Maroon could do that. Combine them both and you have a HOF player. Is it so hard for you to admit they just are not good enough, in Nodl's case as a top 9 player?

Most dont think Carcillo or Guerin should be int he top 9. However they clearly are an upgrade over Nodl. Powe sadly is a well. At least he buries 1 out of 10 , while Nodl misses on all 10.

You saw Fedotenko suck it up last year, no doubt. I guess it is impossible for him to have a bounce back year right? You always look at 1 side of the coin which is funny as hell. You never look at bot possible outcomes. How can you do that and be objective?

Your the prospect guru, how good has Gustafsson looked? Didnt you tell me to leave the prospect evaluation to you?

Nah i dont want your job. It would be to hard to fill your shoes. I could never live up to the production and output you produce.

Old
10-03-2010, 09:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Then guess what, he's not a top 9 player. He needs to upset someone get a spot on the team, he hasn't done that. And if his hands were so much better than Powe's, he wouldn't still be looking for his 2nd NHL goal...period. Including pre-seasons.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:11 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Fedotenko hasn't been good since 2004. Fringe player at best. The Guerin tryout has been a bust. I would release him and give the young guys a spot. They have looked much better than Guerin. Nodl, Holmstrom, Testwuide all have looked better.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Shafer and NWO, take it up in pm.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:02 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Then guess what, he's not a top 9 player. He needs to upset someone get a spot on the team, he hasn't done that. And if his hands were so much better than Powe's, he wouldn't still be looking for his 2nd NHL goal...period. Including pre-seasons.
GKJ for the win.

I like Nodl a lot, but you can't just go making excuses for his inability to finish. Even Powe has a better scoring touch...that's saying something.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
if nodl learned how to score, he could be a decent player. but then again, i guess you could say that about anybody.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
GKJ for the win.

I like Nodl a lot, but you can't just go making excuses for his inability to finish. Even Powe has a better scoring touch...that's saying something.
Mostly cuz Powe fully embraces just taking the puck to the net.

Nodl had a lot in his favor, but he's proven nothing to this point. I also don't know where this idea that he's good defensively comes from. Dude has been absolutely torched in every extended tour of duty he's had to this point.

3.07 GAON/60 in his 10 games last year at even strength.
3.06 GAON/60 in his 38 games the year before at even strength.

He did a decent job in the playoffs filling in, but I'm not giving him a strong score on defense until he, ya know, proves he deserves a strong score on defense. As of now all he's proven at the NHL level is that he's struggling to score (true in the AHL, too) and he's gotten lit up in the other direction.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
GKJ for the win.

Powe does not have a better scoring "touch."

Powe drives the net and good things happen. Nodl needs to do the exact same thing. He needs to drive the net, he needs to shoot the puck, and he needs to work on getting those dirty goals. He is much more gifted than Powe with the puck, but everything he does along the boards needs to translate around the net.

Powe's offensive instincts are solid, but he doesn't have nearly enough skill to follow through.

Nodl has plenty of skill but none of the instincts.

Old
10-03-2010, 01:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Nodl had a lot in his favor, but he's proven nothing to this point. I also don't know where this idea that he's good defensively comes from. Dude has been absolutely torched in every extended tour of duty he's had to this point.
Again, stats don't prove much.

Watching the way players play the game will tell you much more about a player defensively.

If all else fails you can take a good look on who the coach would count on in given situations.

It's much like the misinterpretation around here that Giroux is somehow not up to par defensively. If both are in the lineup, Laviolette would not hesitate to put either on the PK. That says a lot more than stats, particularly with quite a few gifted two-way forwards on our roster already.