HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Michael Grabner, Andrew Peters

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
23 year old former 1st round picks still have to earn their roster spots.

Lol @ some of the posts in this thread. "I HOPE ME TEAM CLAIMZ HIM!!!!!1" If he couldn't get a roster spot on a team like Florida, why would he on any other team?
Some teams probably think he can fit in and I'm sure there are teams he can fit on better than Florida.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Holy Jokinen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Just don't get it. Why not waive Olesz. No1 would picked him up
Because, believe it or not, he played _much_ better than Grabner in every game.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
That's a game you can play if you're a contender, or if that former 1st round pick is waiver exempt. Florida is simply not in a position to do this, imo.

Again, I understand the sentiment, but not in the current situation the Panthers are in. That's not how you manage assets as a rebuilding team.

Whatever, I'm just glad the Philly organization isn't run the same way.
Eh, what can you do? The guy just isn't NHL ready yet.

That said, a team like the Islanders would be hard pressed not to put a claim in. Snow took a chance on Schremp who's useless for anything other than the PP and shootout. Grabner would go good with the youth the Isles have going now.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Inker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
What are you writing here? Grabners 2-way game has improved significantly within the last years. He was playing some good hockey in Vancouver last year before the injury. He needs to work on his consistency but the potential is there.
The reason he hardly got any ice in the playoffs last year was because he was a huge liability defensively.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Paajarvi - Gagner - Hemsky
Hall - Horcoff - Eberle
Penner - Brule - Grabner
Reddox - Fraser - Stortini
Cogliano - MacIntyre

Would certainly be entertaining!

RW is arguably the weakest position in the Oilers system. Grabner would allow Omark some time in the minors. If he sticks, the Oilers can trade Cogliano.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Take a look at Florida's roster. They are gonna lose alot of games anyway. They are REBUILDING.

Look at the roster. They aren't winning ****, with or without Michael Grabner. It's not smart asset management, no matter how you slice it.
yet they say our top 6 is worse than theirs...i dont get it.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
What?! What?!

I can not believe this.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Eh, what can you do? The guy just isn't NHL ready yet.
Yea, I'm not arguing that, and in a perfect world, you could just send the guy down with no threat of someone claiming him. I mean, did their scouts not realize he wasn't NHL ready when they made the trade? Apparently not, and if so, they should have replaced Grabner in that deal with a draft pick.

Quote:
That said, a team like the Islanders would be hard pressed not to put a claim in. Snow took a chance on Schremp who's useless for anything other than the PP and shootout. Grabner would go good with the youth the Isles have going now.
Well, he may or may not get claimed. I would think there are teams out there willing to take a chance (rebuilding teams like the Isles), but who knows? It's just weird asset management in my opinion, but I'm not a Panthers fan, so I don't have to worry about the consequences.

*shrugs*

Old
10-03-2010, 10:29 AM
kasper11

Quote:
That's a game you can play if you're a contender, or if that former 1st round pick is waiver exempt. Florida is simply not in a position to do this, imo.

Again, I understand the sentiment, but not in the current situation the Panthers are in. That's not how you manage assets as a rebuilding team.

Whatever, I'm just glad the Philly organization isn't run the same way.
Sorry, you can't play like that in October. Every team has a shot at the playoffs, and if Grabner is that bad, he shouldn't be playing, nor will he ever improve if he sits on the bench.

This isn't so much a case of bad asset management as a case of a player not living up to expectations.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
yet they say our top 6 is worse than theirs...i dont get it.
What's to get. A player that couldn't make their team is coveted by your fanbase. That's pretty much a perfect example why there forward group is better then yours.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Why didn't they send him down when they had the chance, before the waiver period?
It doesn't work like that. You can't send down a waiver eligible player before the waiver period begins (which was September 25th this year). Grabner is a 3 year pro, hence he is waiver eligible.

Pittsburgh should be all over this.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
What's to get. A player that couldn't make their team is coveted by your fanbase. That's pretty much a perfect example why there forward group is better then yours.
hmm let me get this straight, you are saying

kessel-bozak-versteeg =/< booth-weiss-frolik?
kulemin-grabovski-macarthur =/< dvorak-mattias-stillman?

you know what im bamboozled im going to sleep good night folks.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Sorry, you can't play like that in October. Every team has a shot at the playoffs, and if Grabner is that bad, he shouldn't be playing, nor will he ever improve if he sits on the bench.
GM's are paid to make the decision on whether or not their team is a true playoff contender, October or not, and act accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
This isn't so much a case of bad asset management as a case of a player not living up to expectations.
No, its both. The player is obviously not living up to expectations at the moment. But, that doesn't mean you potentially throw away that asset for nothing. It's moves like this that have the Panthers sitting outside of the playoffs year after year.

Olesz hasn't lived up to expectations either and is greatly overpaid. Why not waive him?

Old
10-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
GM's are paid to make the decision on whether or not their team is a true playoff contender, October or not, and act accordingly.

No, its both. The player is obviously not living up to expectations at the moment. But, that doesn't mean you potentially throw away that asset for nothing. It's moves like this that have the Panthers sitting outside of the playoffs year after year.

Olesz hasn't lived up to expectations either and is greatly overpaid. Why not waive him?
Because he's played significantly better in preseason and had, you know, more than one scoring chance in 5 games. Something Grabner can't claim.

Also, LOL at this thread.

"Grabner was waived"

"**** THE LEAFS SUCK"

Old
10-03-2010, 10:36 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

I'd dump PA Parrentau for him in a heart beat.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
hmm let me get this straight, you are saying

kessel-bozak-versteeg =/< booth-weiss-frolik?
kulemin-grabovski-macarthur =/< dvorak-mattias-stillman?

you know what im bamboozled im going to sleep good night folks.
Not like it makes a huge difference, but Higgins is a shoe-in on the 2nd line LW.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Because he's played significantly better in preseason and had, you know, more than one scoring chance in 5 games. Something Grabner can't claim.

Also, LOL at this thread.

"Grabner was waived"

"**** THE LEAFS SUCK"
another great day to be a leaf fan hahah

Old
10-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Olesz has sucked since he's been in the NHL. Great, he's been significantly better than Grabner in the preseason, what an accomplishment. He should be better, because he's significantly overpaid.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
.... Why? What were they thinking? I have no clue why on earth they would waive this kid. What is the backstory on this?

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb

Last edited by Telos: 10-03-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old
10-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Old
10-03-2010, 10:40 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
So, now 1-2 posters represent the entire fanbase? LeafRocket has admitted that he is a huge fan of Grabner. But, objectively, he's not better than anyone in our Top 6, but we may have an extra forward spot to work with seeing as they'll likely send Caputi down.

He's an interesting player, but I'm not sure we have the room to keep him, so I doubt they would.

My guess is Burke is looking for a two way centre on waivers, not another soft winger.

For Leafs fans wondering, they have 2 contracts left under the 50 man limit. But, I doubt they'd waive Mitchell. They need a versatile player as their extra forward and Mitchell can play anywhere.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Well this makes one thing certain...panthers are definitely tanking for larsson lol

Old
10-03-2010, 10:41 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

**** it, Garth: Pick him up, throw him shotgun with JT and Moulson for a few games. See what happens.

Old
Lz68

Quote:
The guy has looked lousy in all his preseasons with Vancouver but despite this he came up midway through the season and showed some promise; so based on those four preseason maybe the guy finds it difficult to play his best in meaningless preseason games? In any case I think a team hurting for skill will take a shot on him.

Old
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
Wow that's hard to believe they didn't even give him a shot? So the trade ends up being a first round pick and Bernier for Ballard?
no, it ends up being what it was and they didnt like one of the players immediately.

dont try to over simplify something that was already simple

Closed Thread