HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

And what of Lazarus? (Drury)

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
And what of Lazarus? (Drury)

Will Drury finally rise from the dead?

The broken finger has kept him out of what is arguably the best pre-season we've had since the lockout.

But what happens when he comes back? Sure, he is going to play, not questoining that. But should he? What is he going to add to this team?

IMHO he has been a HUGE disappointment. Even worse that Gomez, (no way I' saying we SHOULD'NT have done the deal to trade Gomer).

But Drury has really brought nothing to this team but some blocked shots. And I'm not talking about it in terms of how bad the contract is. He's just been lousy. Rozi gets hammered by this fan base all the time, yet I would argue that he has brought MUCH, MUCH more positives to this team in his play over the years than Drury has By A LOT.

So is this the year that Drury MUST prove himself as an impact player to this squad. If he has another lousy year, then what? How long do we keep trying this? How much better than say Redden has he really been?

Bottom line question is this: Is he hurting us more than helping? Should we just get him out of the way?

IMO: Callahan >>>> Drury

I wouldn't miss him if joined Redden THIS year. Obviously that's not going to happen. But how will we feel come March?

Old
10-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Captain Quaalude sucks, and might be way overpaid, but with the exception of his backchecking (due to the molasses he skates in) he's still a solid 3rd liner that can put up ok points. He's not going to be scratched, waived (can he be? I forget if NMCs prevent it), bought out, or anything like that. He'll play until his contract is over. The end.

Old
10-03-2010, 03:25 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Did you guys ever think that Drury is the example of work ethic which has paved the way for players like Callahan to play the way they do? You can see what he leaves on the ice (him breaking his hand on a blocked shot in preseason tells you the story) and some seem to grossly underrate the leadership he provides to the plethora of young guys this team has. Is he being overpaid? YES. Is that his fault? NO. Let's tag n' bag this thread...

Old
10-03-2010, 03:42 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Will Drury finally rise from the dead?

The broken finger has kept him out of what is arguably the best pre-season we've had since the lockout.

But what happens when he comes back? Sure, he is going to play, not questoining that. But should he? What is he going to add to this team?

IMHO he has been a HUGE disappointment. Even worse that Gomez, (no way I' saying we SHOULD'NT have done the deal to trade Gomer).

But Drury has really brought nothing to this team but some blocked shots. And I'm not talking about it in terms of how bad the contract is. He's just been lousy. Rozi gets hammered by this fan base all the time, yet I would argue that he has brought MUCH, MUCH more positives to this team in his play over the years than Drury has By A LOT.

So is this the year that Drury MUST prove himself as an impact player to this squad. If he has another lousy year, then what? How long do we keep trying this? How much better than say Redden has he really been?

Bottom line question is this: Is he hurting us more than helping? Should we just get him out of the way?

I wouldn't miss him if joined Redden THIS year. Obviously that's not going to happen. But how will we feel come March?

Just gonna give one statement on Drury and the massive underestimation of his importance: Every single teammate, every coach, every person on the staff; wants him on the team, considers him invaluable, and holds him in the highest regards. That's enough for me.

Old
10-03-2010, 03:53 PM
DA 17

Drury is the captain, as far as we know he does a good job of that we all know he's not worth the contract but it is what it is

Old
10-03-2010, 03:54 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Drury will re-sign with us when his contract is done...on the cheap hopefully...and keep playing here. He works hard, blocks shots all the time, and is a veteran presence who has played in almost every situation. Keep him...we can't waive him or trade him unless he allows it which i doubt he will.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Did you guys ever think that Drury is the example of work ethic which has paved the way for players like Callahan to play the way they do? You can see what he leaves on the ice (him breaking his hand on a blocked shot in preseason tells you the story) and some seem to grossly underrate the leadership he provides to the plethora of young guys this team has. Is he being overpaid? YES. Is that his fault? NO. Let's tag n' bag this thread...
I see no evidence of any of this. And it's got nothing to do with what he is being paid.

How has he "paved the way for players like Callahan"?

Where is the leadership? What have we accomplished with him?

I see no tangible benefit

Old
10-03-2010, 04:04 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Did you guys ever think that Drury is the example of work ethic which has paved the way for players like Callahan to play the way they do?
Do you have proof? I could set up hypothetical impact statements like this concerning every team and every player in the league. Is Henrik Lundqvist a hard worker because Kevin Weekes was?

Callahan would still be Callahan without Chris Drury.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Just gonna give one statement on Drury and the massive underestimation of his importance: Every single teammate, every coach, every person on the staff; wants him on the team, considers him invaluable, and holds him in the highest regards. That's enough for me.
I don't care about the lip service he gets. That's meaningless to me.

Show me.

IMO: He needs to have a stellar year or he is an albatross. I don't define that stellar year as putting up 80 points or some other stat per se, but he needs to have a real impact on helping this team win. So far he has not had anything close to consider him "invaluable".

Old
10-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I see no evidence of any of this. And it's got nothing to do with what he is being paid.

How has he "paved the way for players like Callahan"?

Where is the leadership? What have we accomplished with him?

I see no tangible benefit
Whether you dont see it, or just choose to ignore it, thats your perogative.

You know what should settle this issue and perhaps stop you from making silly threads and worthless connections (Drury out = best preseason in recent memory got me good in particular)?.....just realize he has a NMC and isnt going anywhere for the next 2 seasons. Might help you focus your opinions on matters that can actually be addressed.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Not saying we had a good pre-season BECAUSE Drury didn't play, just saying I don't see a need for him.

I'm enjoying watching the kids come to play with enthusiasm, and frankly now I'm a little disappointed he will be back at some point.

As far as what I see or don't see, or choose not to see: What is it? WHAT don't I see?

Also: The question is WILL HE GET BACK TO SOME KIND OF FORM that made us want him in the first place?

Clearly the are instances in Buffalo where you could point to game-changing plays and streaks he made that helped build his reputation as a winner. But has he done ANYTHING like that here?

NO.

When? When will it happen? And if it fails to happen, is he hurting us?

I think he is.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

This is such ridiculous nonsense. Drury's overpaid but is an asset. I really cant count the number of times ive said that on these boards. Is he a great player no, but he is a plus for this team when he plays.

Teammates love him, coaches love him, he has a nmc so hes CANT go anywhere. Hes gonna play for the next two years. Get over it.

End this thread

Old
10-03-2010, 04:19 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
This is kind of off tangent a bit but watching the Hockey Night Live crew discussing Redden's demotion to Hartford--the way that Butch Goring (normally a very intelligent analyst) and Ron Duguay complained about how Redden was being abused and treated unfairly (though he's still going to get his full $6.5 mil) would make you wonder just how insightful some players are about their teammates. Anyway the argument from Goring was he was still a capable NHL player no matter the cost it was wrong of the Rangers to put him in Hartford while Duguay talked about his 10 years of all star play and how players were talking about it in the locker room. Anyway whacky is the sense of entitlement they have and there's definitely something of a disconnect between them and the average fan coming to the arena or watching the game on TV.

Drury hasn't lived up to his high falutin' contract either. His game may not have fallen off as egregiously as Redden's but the major difference between he and Redden is his NMC and maybe that he's captain of the team. Winning teams don't win by paying $7 mil + to glorified 3rd liners no matter what intangibles they bring. That is a serious handicap for any team that wants to contend to have to operate under. He'll sign with us cheaper when his contract is done? I'd seriously consider not signing him again for a variety of reasons starting with what his age will be when his contract is done but keeping in mind the regression of his game especially the offensive part. In any case if he wants to continue playing he'll have no choice but to sign for a lot less than he's making now.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Del Zotto claims Drury was a big factor in his comfortable play as a rookie.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem playing Drury on the 4th line, but he is important to have in our lineup on a gamely basis and in the locker room. Doesn't do us any good having him on the injured reserve. -

Old
10-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Not saying we had a good pre-season BECAUSE Drury didn't play, just saying I don't see a need for him.

I'm enjoying watching the kids come to play with enthusiasm, and frankly now I'm a little disappointed he will be back at some point.

As far as what I see or don't see, or choose not to see: What is it? WHAT don't I see?

Also: The question is WILL HE GET BACK TO SOME KIND OF FORM that made us want him in the first place?

Clearly the are instances in Buffalo where you could point to game-changing plays and streaks he made that helped build his reputation as a winner. But has he done ANYTHING like that here?

NO.

When? When will it happen? And if it fails to happen, is he hurting us?

I think he is.
If you dont see the need for an experienced centerman on this team, than I dont know what to tell you

Old
10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Should we just get him out of the way?
Please explain to me HOW this is possible

Old
10-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you dont see the need for an experienced centerman on this team, than I dont know what to tell you
OK, now that's pretty funny. The NEED is as plain as day.

What I don't see is where Drury fills that need.

He doesn't.

Yeah, he's a centerman, and yeah he's experienced, but he is NOT the experienced centerman we need!

I find this Drury love confounding. What is the deal?

Old
10-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

He doesn't.

Yeah, he's a centerman, and yeah he's experienced, but he is NOT the experienced centerman we need!

I can't help but being harsh in my comments.

are you retarded? how do you not see what drury brings to this team.....do you watch the rangers on a regular basis? seriously? if you answer yes to this, then you obviously don't pay much attention to the games or you would realize how much of an asset he really is

just because he is overpaid doesnt mean he Sucks like you seem to think...

and riddle me this joker, how in gods name, do we get rid of him?!? he has a nmc!!!!

Old
10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

He doesn't.

Hes the surest thing we have at center, actually, and even if his role is to just play against the opposition's top line, its indispensable work. Im sorry if you expect him to even approach the numbers he put up in Buffalo, and Im even more sorry that you hate Drury because of his contract - but to cast him aside as a useless component of a team that has SERIOUS issues down the middle is an incompetent argument.

The Drury debate mutates into the same thing every....single.....time.

And it comes down to one thing....people who cant look past his contract, and hate the man because of it.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:46 PM
The Thomas J.*

When evaulating Drury you have to look past the contract. The contraact is what it. If you. Can get passed that huge factor rDrury is still an important role player on this team.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:52 PM
msv957

Quote:
Great post.. Couldn't have said it any better. ALso, Brian Burke believes enough in Drury for him to make Team USA last year even when Drury had an off year.

Old
10-03-2010, 04:53 PM
XLJ

This team doesn't need Drury. They have plenty of guys that can kill penalties. That was the only good part of his game last year. If was very refreshing to watch the rangers this preseason without there overpaid players like Redden and Drury.

Last edited by XLJ: 10-03-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old
10-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You're buying into the company line from MSG and the NHL. What else are they gonna say? They can't point to anything he does on the ice! Oh wait, blocks shots.

I've said 3 times in this thread: I'm not talking about the contract.

Does anyone want to touch my question which was the original point of the thread?

Will this be the year he does something and shuts guys like me up? Anyone willing to go out on a limb?

Or is what you are all saying is that he has been "good enough"? Is he really "the example" we want for our younger guys? Not me

Old
10-03-2010, 05:01 PM
MSG the place to be*

so I guess we buy into the quotes about Drury but the statements saying Redden was a great person and a great player are dismissed (I saw video of Callahan, MDZ, Gilroy all saying this).

Take off the Drury colored glasses. Drury is lucky he didnt play in preseason because he wouldnt have been one our best 9 forwards and sorry if im not exactly clammoring for a 7 mil 4th liner.

Old
10-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
You're buying into the company line from MSG and the NHL. What else are they gonna say? They can't point to anything he does on the ice! Oh wait, blocks shots.

I've said 3 times in this thread: I'm not talking about the contract.

Does anyone want to touch my question which was the original point of the thread?

Will this be the year he does something and shuts guys like me up? Anyone willing to go out on a limb?

Or is what you are all saying is that he has been "good enough"? Is he really "the example" we want for our younger guys? Not me
We answered your question a million times....now how come you wont answer mine! Keep ignoring the people that make responses you cant argue with

Closed Thread