HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PS #6 - 10.02.2010 | New York Rangers @ Ottawa Senators | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2010, 11:15 AM
  #526
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Yeah like Lev said, he doesn't have to be on the first line. Most of this the points he has scored so far had really nothing to do with Gaborik or Frolov. In fact, like we saw last night he doesn't even need linemates, just the goalie

You can put him on any of the top three lines and he'll probably surprise you in some way. As long as he's on the team I'm happy

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:35 AM
  #527
TrojanRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Van down by theriver
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youre doing nothing but expanding on my point. People seem to be so distracted by a shiny new prospect that the ability to reason is being lost, so I'll try to take it slow for you.

Has Derek Stepan been one of the 23 best players in camp? Yes, no doubt about it. Im not arguing that, at all. What bewilders me more than anything else is that some people can watch hockey for years and years and not be able to look at the development of a player outside of that vacuuum. This team, from a talent standpoint, stinks by and large - especially down the middle. That makes Stepan (who seems to have the tools and the hockey mind to be a really nice player down the road) look even better.

But the truth is, while hes shown a gifted offensive mind in his handful of preseason games, hes also shown some deficiencies in his game that would ideally be handled with some additional seasoning in the AHL. This is the darker side of rushing a kid that nobody likes to talk about or just plain chooses to ignore. The two major ones are:

1. his skating. When the games start to matter and hes not playing against half of a JV squad, this issue will be exposed even more. Its something that can be easily corrected and worked upon down in the minors.

2. Hes looked quite overmatched in the nuetral zone, especially on the defensive side of the puck. The speed issue above plays a part in this for sure. Not to mention hes is trying to make a HUGE jump in competition level - something else a lot of people conveniently like to ignore because they're enthralled by a rare legit prospect coming up through the ranks.

The issue is really two-fold. First, people are excited about Stepan and they should be. Second, our roster is so bad that a hot-shot prospect looks even shinier.

Its still no reason to virtually ignore the flaws of his game and the development curve in general to rush him into the NHL. In fact, its selfish.


lol now you're just making **** up to try to justify your point.

IF/when he makes the team, he isn't being rushed. You can think that all you want but that doesn't make it so.

He hasn't been perfect, but theres no reason to believe that he can't improve on his deficiencies at the NHL level as he gains experience. Need I remind you that of all the players this team has developed in the past 4 seasons, almost all of them spent little or no time in the AHL. If you're worried about Steps being ruined, the last thing you should want is for him to go down to Hartford.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:53 AM
  #528
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
lol now you're just making **** up to try to justify your point.

IF/when he makes the team, he isn't being rushed. You can think that all you want but that doesn't make it so.

He hasn't been perfect, but theres no reason to believe that he can't improve on his deficiencies at the NHL level as he gains experience. Need I remind you that of all the players this team has developed in the past 4 seasons, almost all of them spent little or no time in the AHL. If you're worried about Steps being ruined, the last thing you should want is for him to go down to Hartford.
Yes, I'd like for you to try.

Please list the forwards we've developed that havent spent time in the AHL.

Look, you clearly dont understand the fundamental concepts of developing a player. And, specifically, being intelligent enough to pinpoint where these deficiencies can best be addressed. In Stepan's case, his speed concerns me - and the bottom line is that EVERYTHING is faster in the National Hockey League.

You are ignoring the legitimate and healthy way to develop a player longterm because this team sucks at center and Stepan can one day fill that need. The day is not today, and hes going to be severely overwhelmed in the early going if he starts with the big club. You could argue that type of experience can help him longterm, but I would wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:05 PM
  #529
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yes, I'd like for you to try.

Please list the forwards we've developed that havent spent time in the AHL.
On the other hand, the Rangers haven't had many truly talented players come through the system lately...guys like Dubinsky and Callahan are good, quality NHLers, but I don't think have the same top end skill as Stepan might. Same with Anisimov.

Stepan is the first forward I can think of in awhile that might have the raw skill AND maturity to jump to the NHL.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:11 PM
  #530
TrojanRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Van down by theriver
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yes, I'd like for you to try.

Please list the forwards we've developed that havent spent time in the AHL.

Look, you clearly dont understand the fundamental concepts of developing a player. And, specifically, being intelligent enough to pinpoint where these deficiencies can best be addressed. In Stepan's case, his speed concerns me - and the bottom line is that EVERYTHING is faster in the National Hockey League.

You are ignoring the legitimate and healthy way to develop a player longterm because this team sucks at center and Stepan can one day fill that need. The day is not today, and hes going to be severely overwhelmed in the early going if he starts with the big club. You could argue that type of experience can help him longterm, but I would wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Dude how many forwards HAVE we developed? Think that the development system down in Hartford has a little something to do with that? I do.

The whole foot speed thing is overblown and again, you're hanging on to that because it it "justifies" what you've been saying. Would it be nice if he had better wheels? Of course, but if you've watched him enough over the last two season, you should know that hes more than smart enough to make up for his apparent lack of speed.

Hes shown that he can not only adjust to, but excel at every level hes ever played at. Now I know that the NHL is a completely different animal and by far the biggest leap in competition that he'll ever have to deal with, but there is nothing based off of what hes done, both in past years and so far this year that suggests that he isn't ready to make the jump right now.

Plus if you happen to be right, you can always send him down. Its not like you're forced to keep him with the team for the entire season of he makes it out of camp.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:08 PM
  #531
Rangerfans
Registered User
 
Rangerfans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
I agree with Bleed Ranger Blue. Let the kid start the season, bring him down to Hartford when Prospal and Drury are back.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 06:05 PM
  #532
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Anyone have Stepans goal? I did not see it.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
  #533
alves
Registered User
 
alves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Anyone have Stepans goal? I did not see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO5XUmlIPLg

alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
  #534
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
I can watch that on repeat all day. For someone not known as a goal scorer that was pretty

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:03 AM
  #535
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
All good points Lev...its not like Im going to be upset or something if Stepan makes the squad full time.

For me, it comes down to this issue - are we propping this kid up because we are so incredibly weak at the center position?

Has he truly shown that hes a surefire NHL talent right now, or are we making him one to rush him into attempting to fill a massive team need?
I can only speak for myself -- but I want the kid in the NHL because its up here he can develop his offensive game.

The AHL is a solid league, but the game is all about going up and down the rink, N-S to an extreme, and its not the place for a player like Stephan to fully develop his offensive touch. Instead a player like him would learn to deviate from what needs to be done offensively and take short cuts instead, because that works in the AHL.

Do he have all aspects of the pro-game pinned down? Nope. But neither did Bäckström for example.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.