HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #8: Flyers @ Sabres - Sunday, Oct. 3, 2010 - 6:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I'm wondering why the Flyers agreed to play this game. 8 pre-season games is a lot, unless you're playing split-squad games I guess

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like NHL refs are a very tight-knit, ultra-sensitive group. They kind of seem like, for lack of a better word, ****** to me. I think the Burrows incident is proof of that.
One of the most famous quotes about that was by Orval Tessier, a former Chicago coach. He said "Today we paid a heavy price in Florida (Board of Governors' meetings) and tonight (supposed bad call in a game)we paid again. I hope the league tells the officials that we've paid our price and to leave us alone."

It had to deal with a court injunction revolving around a 20-game suspension given to one of his players for tripping a ref. Months later, after another supposed bad call, he claimed he was told the refs would hold a two-year (or so) vendetta against him.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is something I bet the coaches are looking at when they say he's not NHL ready just yet.

Don't forget, kid's never had a goalie coach.
Agreed. And yeah, I know...he hasn't had a goalie coach in the last two years, and he's never had a legit one. I'm surprised at how technically sound he actually is, with that in consideration.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jb**

Quote:
Maroon is awesome. He's just bashing people on the forecheck. Love it.
He is making a late push to make the team. Perhaps a showcase to other teams.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I've never seen worse defensive zone coverage or even effort in any NHL game ever. Even in the pre-season.
The Flyers were clearly expecting/hoping for Meszaros to step up and be at the very least an on-ice leader if not a vocal leader for the game tonight.

He's been better than the rest of these bums, but not by much.

Far cry from where he was the other night when it was just him and Carle and he took the reigns.

I see now why he couldn't succeed in Tampa.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Exactly how I feel.

What makes it all the more ridiculous is that, considering our goalie situation (being that we don't have a legitimate NHL starter and only two prospects who can potentially step in), it's extremely important to give Backlund a fair shot, unless you're perfectly fine with rushing Bob (which the Flyers organization apparently is).
Yep. Even more important than giving Backlund a fair shot, considering the circumstances, is that the organization owed itself a fair shot at getting a good look at Backlund.

It's like someone was trying to prove a point with this lineup. I'm not sure what the point was, exactly. Maybe to show that, yes indeed, an AHL lineup could get massacred by an NHL lineup? I don't know...

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
He is making a late push to make the team. Perhaps a showcase to other teams.
God forbid. This is what I've wanted to see for a while.

His skating is so much better than when he first arrived. He's physical, has a nose for the net, some great hands, and his boardwork is much improved as well. He's had a little bit of trouble behind Miller's net, but his open ice game is solid.

He should've gotten a lot more of a shot than this.

Old
10-03-2010, 07:48 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
The Flyers were clearly expecting/hoping for Meszaros to step up and be at the very least an on-ice leader if not a vocal leader for the game tonight.

Far cry from where he was the other night when it was just him and Carle and he took the reigns.

I know it's only preseason, but so far he has not impressed me one bit. I'm not enjoying his salary at all.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
One of the most famous quotes about that was by Orval Tessier, a former Chicago coach. He said "Today we paid a heavy price in Florida (Board of Governors' meetings) and tonight (supposed bad call in a game)we paid again. I hope the league tells the officials that we've paid our price and to leave us alone."

It had to deal with a court injunction revolving around a 20-game suspension given to one of his players for tripping a ref. Months later, after another supposed bad call, he claimed he was told the refs would hold a two-year (or so) vendetta against him.
Just seems very unprofessional and pathetic to me. Can't think of anything the league could do about it, but do find the refs in this league flat-out pathetic for the reasons that we have discussed.

Quote:

Yeah, I've been against the Meszaros trade all off-season. I'm willing to give him some time in the regular season before I completely condemn him, but he's on a short leash with me and I don't think he can anchor a top four pairing (meaning, I think he'll have to be anchored by either Pronger or Timonen to be effective).

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

so let me guess. Its the refs fault Carcillo got kicked out of tonights game.

EDIT: drinking and typing=FAIL

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
Yep. Even more important than giving Backlund a fair shot, considering the circumstances, is that the organization owed itself a fair shot at getting a good look at Backlund.

It's like someone was trying to prove a point with this lineup. I'm not sure what the point was, exactly. Maybe to show that, yes indeed, an AHL lineup could get massacred by an NHL lineup? I don't know...
He's giving the mainstays a chance to rest before the big game against Pittsburgh. It's going to be a long season hopefully.

He threw the new guys into the lineup tonight for one last push to see who could win what spots and keep working them.

Old
10-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

It almost seems like we're being trolled and that the organization is doing this for the lolz.

It really does feel like an NHL 10 game on easy mode.

Old
10-03-2010, 07:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Just seems very unprofessional and pathetic to me. Can't think of anything the league could do about it, but do find the refs in this league flat-out pathetic for the reasons that we have discussed.
Well, take a look at what happened to Alex Burrows last year.

All the media attention Carcillo got for diving last year won't help his cause.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:51 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Hey guys I missed the first 2. How have Maroon and Guerin looked? Also who one the Powe Kaleta fight?

Thanks

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Yeah, I've been against the Meszaros trade all off-season.
I'm still for it.

Quote:
I'm willing to give him some time in the regular season before I completely condemn him, but he's on a short leash with me and I don't think he can anchor a top four pairing (meaning, I think he'll have to be anchored by either Pronger or Timonen to be effective).
Or Coburn, who has been great this preseason.

Meszaros has had one really strong game. The rest have been solid. Tonight he's been decent, but certainly not good.

Old
RoDu

If Carbomb is going to get tossed from the game once a week, he's becoming to much of a liability

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:52 PM
jb**

Quote:
God forbid. This is what I've wanted to see for a while.

His skating is so much better than when he first arrived. He's physical, has a nose for the net, some great hands, and his boardwork is much improved as well. He's had a little bit of trouble behind Miller's net, but his open ice game is solid.

He should've gotten a lot more of a shot than this.
Maybe but from all accounts he played very poorly in camp and didnt impress anyone while other who played did. Same with Legion.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:53 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Really? Cool. Where do you live? You going to high school here or something?

I live on St. Charles behind the Tower.

I wish I was still in High School. I graduated 12 years ago. I just moved here from the city (Fishtown/Kensington area).

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
smacklby

Quote:

really?

It didnt seem that way until after Kaletta jumped Powe; thats about when everything changed; not being able to actually see the game, my suspicion is that after that fight, an NHL stacked Sabres team started playing more agressively against an unskilled AHL level team....

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so let me guess. Its the refs fault he got kicked out of tonights game.
I want to know exactly what he said, sadly I don't think I will ever know

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
He's giving the mainstays a chance to rest before the big game against Pittsburgh. It's going to be a long season hopefully.

He threw the new guys into the lineup tonight for one last push to see who could win what spots and keep working them.
Ok, I'm with you on that logic, to a point. Funny how Pittsburgh didn't do the same thing and ice an AHL lineup today, but that's not really the point.

My point is simply this: How exactly do you properly evaluate these guys when they are put at an extreme disadvantage? How do you properly evaluate a goalie who hasn't played a game in forever, when you hang him out to dry in front of that sad excuse for a defense?

If you are afraid you won't be rested enough for the season opener, or don't want to see any injuries at this point, then don't schedule the ****ing game, because this doesn't show anyone anything.

Old
10-03-2010, 07:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Maybe but from all accounts he played very poorly in camp and didnt impress anyone while other who played did. Same with Legion.
Not the camp I saw. Maroon was pretty solid.

Old
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Hey guys I missed the first 2. How have Maroon and Guerin looked? Also who one the Powe Kaleta fight?

Thanks
Guerin looks the same as usual. Slow and ineffective. In the first period he was interrupting passes with his stick though. Maroon looks like one of our better forwards, but that isn't saying much considering that he's our best forward prospect and how crappy this game is so far.

Kaleta won the fight technically, but supposedly Kaleta punched Powe a few time before Powe even got his gloves off.

Old
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Ok, I'm with you on that logic, to a point. Funny how Pittsburgh didn't do the same thing and ice an AHL lineup today, but that's not really the point.

My point is simply this: How exactly do you properly evaluate these guys when they are put at an extreme disadvantage? How do you properly evaluate a goalie who hasn't played a game in forever, when you hang him out to dry in front of that sad excuse for a defense?

If you are afraid you won't be rested enough for the season opener, or don't want to see any injuries at this point, then don't schedule the ****ing game, because this doesn't show anyone anything.
Because Lavy already has his roster set

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post
really?

It didnt seem that way until after Kaletta jumped Powe; thats about when everything changed; not being able to actually see the game, my suspicion is that after that fight, an NHL stacked Sabres team started playing more agressively against an unskilled AHL level team....
So the Sabres waited till they felt like playing and dominated an AHL lineup? What's your point?