HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason Bill Guerin thread.. (Post #405 Guerin Released)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2010, 09:44 PM
  #351
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is exactly what I mean about childish.

You can go off about "heterosexual mancrushes" and insult me, but I'm not going to insult you back.

Why? Just so you can say that I'm arrogant and acting like as much of a child as you are now; representing my position poorly?

No thanks. I've learned my lesson. If you want to have a real discussion, then we'll have a real discussion, but I'm not playing your games until you start acting like a grown up. I'm being completely serious. I'm sick of dealing with this nonsense.



This is exactly what I'm talking about.



I do find it funny that I have to pull punches in arguments to keep my position when people can just insult me for the fun of it. You guys really don't understand how annoying it is trying to make a point on here while trying to keep from offending anyone.

Hell, half of your arguments are insults. That's what I mean about acting childish. This has nothing to do with age.
Even if all this is true, Nodl still pretty much sucks.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:48 PM
  #352
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
ladies ladies ladies....

Can we save some of this pent-up fire for Thursday night?

I think almost all of us can agree that once our lineup is healthy, that Nodl, Guerin, or Shelley won't fit anywhere. And until that point of health, we have a great coach who will combat our GM's painful decisions with bright ones of his own.
Well, the issue is mostly that they do fit somewhere-ish:

High-Minute Forwards
1. Richards
2. Carter
3. Briere
4. Giroux
5. Zherdev
6. Hartnell
7. vanRiemsdyk
8. Leino
9. xxxxxxxxxx

Fourth Line/Energy Forwards
1. Betts
2. Powe
3. Carcillo
4. Shelley
(5. Laperriere)

High-Minute Defensemen
1. Pronger
2. Timonen
3. Coburn
4. Carle
5. Meszaros

Depth Defensemen
1. O'Donnell
2. Walker
3. Bartulis

Goaltenders
1. Leighton
2. Boucher
(3. Bobrovsky)
(4. Backlund)

Our team is pretty much what we expected it to be going into camp, but we still have that dilemma over our 9th top 9 forward. Will it be Guerin, who has been terrible? Nodl, who seems worthless within 10 feet of the net? Maroon, who had a good night but got bashed hard by the boards? Carcillo, who is a penalty magnet? Powe, who has zero finishing ability? Someone else?

That's the entire debate at this point.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:50 PM
  #353
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Even if all this is true, Nodl still pretty much sucks.
Well, within 10 feet of the net he pretty much sucks. His all-around game is pretty solid.

It was glaringly obvious tonight that he has no idea what to do with the puck when he's in scoring position. He's like a deer in the headlights, which is a shame because he certainly has the talent to finish.

It's all mental for him, and I'm not sure this is a funk that he can get out of easily, if ever gets out of it that is.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:52 PM
  #354
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Well, within 10 feet of the net he pretty much sucks. His all-around game is pretty solid.
Unfortunately, he sucks within 10 feet of both nets...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:53 PM
  #355
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Unfortunately, he sucks within 10 feet of both nets...
I disagree, but whatever.

He's not supposed to be within 10 feet of our net anyway. It's the defenseman's job to guard the crease/low slot.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:55 PM
  #356
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Apparently this just happened:

Panaccio : "The only thing I can say w/certainty: Bobrovsky will
begin season w/flyers. I have doubts about Guerin which is a shame:."

Figures Timmy P. would support Guerin but do everything in his power to mock Zherdev.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
  #357
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I disagree, but whatever.

He's not supposed to be within 10 feet of our net anyway. It's the defenseman's job to guard the crease/low slot.
Totally didn't mean that literally...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:03 PM
  #358
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Apparently this just happened:

Panaccio : "The only thing I can say w/certainty: Bobrovsky will
begin season w/flyers. I have doubts about Guerin which is a shame:."

Figures Timmy P. would support Guerin but do everything in his power to mock Zherdev.
So if not Guerin, who? I'd be psyched to see Maroon on the Flyers if he can play the role he is meant for.

Also I finally got around to watching meet the Flyers...Sean O'Donnel looks exactly like John LeClair. I'm sure that has been mentioned before but I just had to note it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:04 PM
  #359
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
How are the lines shaping up anyway? Is carcillo playing with richards? If the 4th line consists of Carcillo-Betts-Shelley than the flyers need powe for PK on the 3rd. If its Carcillo-Betts-Powe, Does it really matter who you put with Carter-JVR? I would be okay with Nodl on that line. he is a good energy guy and can get the puck in places where Carter can be a puck hog.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:21 PM
  #360
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,611
vCash: 500
Was this the first preseason game that Maroon and Legein saw time in?

As for the 9th forward, I think Powe brings the necessary intangibles for the position, aside from being able to score at will....which is why we have 8 other guys, and some defensemen, who can do that instead.

The fact is that almost every night this season, we will be sending out a starting lineup that is more talented than the opposing team. What we should worry about is injury, and whether or not we can actually tap that potential. We don't need 18 guys out there who can do nothing but score. Because of that, I don't think it's a bad thing to have a guy with Powe's speed and hitting ability on a line containing skill players. I mean we had Dan Carcillo on our 1a line last season, and now we don't know if he'll crack this years lineup. I'd say this is a good problem to be having, and again, I have plenty of faith in Lavy putting out a lineup that can win every night.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:22 PM
  #361
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
How are the lines shaping up anyway? Is carcillo playing with richards? If the 4th line consists of Carcillo-Betts-Shelley than the flyers need powe for PK on the 3rd. If its Carcillo-Betts-Powe, Does it really matter who you put with Carter-JVR? I would be okay with Nodl on that line. he is a good energy guy and can get the puck in places where Carter can be a puck hog.
Well,

We know Zherdev works well with Giroux.
We know Giroux is better at center.
We know Leino plays well with Briere and/or Hartnell.
We know Carter cannot play with Richards.

Despite those realities, I think our lineup opening night is this:

vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Carter
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
xxxxxxxxxx - Giroux - Zherdev

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:23 PM
  #362
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Was this the first preseason game that Maroon and Legein saw time in?
Yes.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:30 PM
  #363
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close
 
SeanVT395's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Well,

We know Zherdev works well with Giroux.
We know Giroux is better at center.
We know Leino plays well with Briere and/or Hartnell.
We know Carter cannot play with Richards.

Despite those realities, I think our lineup opening night is this:

vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Carter
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
xxxxxxxxxx - Giroux - Zherdev
Pretty much hit the nail on the head, as well as gave me a laugh with the bolded part for being blatantly true. Also I think I might Steal your avatar


Last edited by SeanVT395: 10-03-2010 at 11:37 PM.
SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:44 PM
  #364
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Zherdev might be the only person on the team that can fully take advantage of Giroux's skillset.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:52 PM
  #365
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Also I think I might Steal your avatar
Go for it. A friend of mine is a huge Sabres fan. She went to the game tonight and uploaded a whole bunch of pictures for me. She gloated for a while, but I got some nice pictures for my patience.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:53 PM
  #366
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,476
vCash: 50
I still hope Holmstrom makes the club. He has earned it. Testwuide needs to go to the AHL.
Guerin needs to go. I dont get the praise for him from Timmy P, Coatsey, JJ, ect ect. Give the roster spot to someone who has earned it. Not given to someone because well. hes a vet.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:57 PM
  #367
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,476
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Zherdev might be the only person on the team that can fully take advantage of Giroux's skillset.
I agree, the chemistry between those 2 was great in the preseason. Who else do you put on that line? Hartnell? might be good to help clear space for Zherdev and Giroux. of course that means Giroux back to center where we go back to his defense.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:04 AM
  #368
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I still hope Holmstrom makes the club. He has earned it. Testwuide needs to go to the AHL.
Guerin needs to go. I dont get the praise for him from Timmy P, Coatsey, JJ, ect ect. Give the roster spot to someone who has earned it. Not given to someone because well. hes a vet.
I don't think Holmstrom has done anything to earn a spot just yet.

He's certainly not more talented than Maroon or Nodl.

I don't think he's someone we can rely on for long stretches. Not that we necessarily can rely on the others, but I think they're much safer bets.

Let's give Holmstrom and Testwuide some time in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I agree, the chemistry between those 2 was great in the preseason. Who else do you put on that line? Hartnell? might be good to help clear space for Zherdev and Giroux. of course that means Giroux back to center where we go back to his defense.
You can go back to that if you want, but Laviolette certainly isn't going to. Giroux is by no means bad defensively.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:57 AM
  #369
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 500
Damnit. A -4 next to Bill Guerin's name would have been SO much more fun if it was in the regular season. And now he makes the last gasp effort of making sure that doesn't happen. Bollocks!



If it wasn't such a gang-bang in this thread, I would have liked to quote previous C.S material from the main board on the superiority of Guerin over Comrie, but instead I'll just say that I simply cannot wait for the drop of that opening night puck! Talk about setting things off with fire works.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 04:41 AM
  #370
Rick Deckard
Registered User
 
Rick Deckard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
NHL Career
Powe, Darroll; 152 Games; 16 Goals, 14 Assists, 30 Points, minus 8
Nödl, Andreas; 58 Games; 1 Goal, 4 Assists, 5 Points, minus 18

Preseason
Powe, Darroll; 6 Games, 2 Goals, 0 Assists, 2 Points, minus 1
Nödl, Andreas; 7 Games, 0 Goals, 0 Assists, 0 Points, minus 1

Based on those stats, Powe should get the last top nine spot and Nödl should play on the fourth line with Carcillo and Betts (until Laperriere returns).

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 06:05 AM
  #371
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I would rather Kalinski than Nodl.

He has the same goals and assists in half the games, is a good agitator, and is fun to watch.

And Nodl is not good defensively. like Jester said he has constantly gotten exposed and abused on this team. He has good strength on the boards, but that doesnt mean he is good defensively. He was awful on the PK in the playoffs last year


Last edited by HoverCarle*: 10-04-2010 at 06:14 AM.
HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 06:13 AM
  #372
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Damnit. A -4 next to Bill Guerin's name would have been SO much more fun if it was in the regular season. And now he makes the last gasp effort of making sure that doesn't happen. Bollocks!



If it wasn't such a gang-bang in this thread, I would have liked to quote previous C.S material from the main board on the superiority of Guerin over Comrie, but instead I'll just say that I simply cannot wait for the drop of that opening night puck! Talk about setting things off with fire works.
You were right about that much.

Doesn't change the fact that Comrie sucks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
NHL Career
Powe, Darroll; 152 Games; 16 Goals, 14 Assists, 30 Points, minus 8
Nödl, Andreas; 58 Games; 1 Goal, 4 Assists, 5 Points, minus 18

Preseason
Powe, Darroll; 6 Games, 2 Goals, 0 Assists, 2 Points, minus 1
Nödl, Andreas; 7 Games, 0 Goals, 0 Assists, 0 Points, minus 1

Based on those stats, Powe should get the last top nine spot and Nödl should play on the fourth line with Carcillo and Betts (until Laperriere returns).
If you go that direction then you just put Shelley with Betts and Carcillo. No reason to waste Nodl. He's not a fourth line player. He could manage, but why? At that point you send him to the AHL and hope he develops.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 06:24 AM
  #373
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
We were hoping he would develop like 3 years ago.

The hope is dwindling.

And no he isnt a 4th line player, because he pretty much sucks at the NHL level. Jody Shelley scored 2 goals last year, and he can barely skate or even play hockey

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 06:32 AM
  #374
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
And no he isnt a 4th line player, because he pretty much sucks at the NHL level.
I don't know how you say that about a guy who was one of our better players all preseason.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:03 AM
  #375
Jer Flip
Registered User
 
Jer Flip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dieppe, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You were right about that much.

Doesn't change the fact that Comrie sucks too.
Comrie: 30 years old, looking great this preseason
Guerin: 39 years old, can barely skate, looking horrible this preseason

Yep, not much of a difference.

Jer Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.