HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky Best Option as C for 1st Line

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2010, 07:16 AM
  #1
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,222
vCash: 500
Dubinsky Best Option as C for 1st Line

NY Post

I guess Larry's thinking out loud, and it just shows you how weak the Rangers currently are up the middle.

Quote:
This leaves the Rangers with options so unappealing in the middle that one-time pivot Brandon Dubinsky, who has skated almost exclusively on the left during camp, is probably the best choice to open between Marian Gaborik and Alex Frolov as the team's No. 1 center.

Erik Christensen, capable if not dazzling in that role during the second half of last season, had a miserable camp. Rookie Derek Stepan clicked offensively in the preseason with Gaborik and Frolov but struggled defensively. Beyond that, it's difficult to imagine Tortorella giving Stepan the minutes he likes to heap on his first unit. It's even more difficult than that envisioning White being able to keep up with the wingers or handle those minutes.

Shifting Dubinsky could mean moving either Sean Avery or Ruslan Fedotenko up into the left-wing slot on the second line that features center Artem Anisimov and right wing Ryan Callahan, though Tortorella could instead choose to reunite Anisimov with Brandon Prust, whom the coach appears to trust without reservation.
He also discusses the excess RH D-men, and Sather's interest in Souray.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:20 AM
  #2
FultonReed
ew, you did what?
 
FultonReed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
*spits out coffee*

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:31 AM
  #3
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,903
vCash: 500
What's the problem?Drury will be back soon. The Rangers are paying him $8 million this season. Give him more PP time. His even strength numbers were on par with his previous numbers but his PP numbers dropped. Christensen will appear for 40-50 games and collect 40 points. AA is ready for a bigger role and more responsibility. Stepan is the ****. Would rather have Stepan in the line-up than 35 year old Vaclav Prospal. Boyle is better than last season and Kennedy can play up the middle.

The Rangers want AA and Stepan to be their top 2 centers.

Regarding Souray,Brooks wrote on Friday the Rangers aren't interested in trading for Souray. They might/could claim Souray on re-entry waivers if the EDM puts him on re-entry which doesn't seem to be their plan.

Getting back to Prospal,he wasn't even penciled into center. Torts told Andrew Gross that Prospal was a LW and might be used at center.

A whole lot of nothing.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:45 AM
  #4
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,855
vCash: 500
Larry Brooks is a f------ idiot.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:49 AM
  #5
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Silly... what a waste of print

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:55 AM
  #6
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What's the problem?Drury will be back soon. The Rangers are paying him $8 million this season. Give him more PP time. His even strength numbers were on par with his previous numbers but his PP numbers dropped. Christensen will appear for 40-50 games and collect 40 points. AA is ready for a bigger role and more responsibility. Stepan is the ****. Would rather have Stepan in the line-up than 35 year old Vaclav Prospal. Boyle is better than last season and Kennedy can play up the middle.

The Rangers want AA and Stepan to be their top 2 centers.

Regarding Souray,Brooks wrote on Friday the Rangers aren't interested in trading for Souray. They might/could claim Souray on re-entry waivers if the EDM puts him on re-entry which doesn't seem to be their plan.

Getting back to Prospal,he wasn't even penciled into center. Torts told Andrew Gross that Prospal was a LW and might be used at center.

A whole lot of nothing.
Not one of Larry's better articles. I think Dubinsky stays at LW for good. But, the weakness at center, (due, in part to the inexperience of both Stepan and Anisimov), is why I think this team could be on the outside looking in come playoff time. Personally, I'd rather it be this way, but, I'm not the one hoping for playoff revenue. There are going to be some growing pains with both Stepan and Anisimov.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:56 AM
  #7
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
Brooks make no sense

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 08:06 AM
  #8
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
I'm still wondering why Anisimov hasn't been put between Gabs and Fro yet....

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 08:30 AM
  #9
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I'm still wondering why Anisimov hasn't been put between Gabs and Fro yet....
This being Tortorella, I'm sure just about everyone besides Girardi will get a look between Fro and Gabs.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 08:30 AM
  #10
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Brooks make no sense
Makes sense to me. Christensen sucks, White sucks, Drury sucks, Prospal retires, and Tort doesn't trust Anisimov or Stepan in that role yet, that leaves Boyle and Kennedy, so Dubinsky is always an option, and he did have chemistry with Gaborik last season. And he hasn't scored a goal as a winger in pre-season.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 08:42 AM
  #11
RegalRangers
Registered User
 
RegalRangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,453
vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I'm still wondering why Anisimov hasn't been put between Gabs and Fro yet....
I was wondering why Brooks sort of avoided entirely the idea of Anisimov centering that first line. If he feels that Stepan is a defensive liability, Anisimov is a pretty good defensive forward IMO.

Plus I have a gut feeling that Frolov and Anisimov would enjoy playing together.

I think the second line would be the ideal place to start Stepan, especially if he sees some power play time too. No one's ready to center a top line in the NHL right out of college. It's amazing that I even think he's capable of jumping into the second line (at least while there are injuries).

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 08:49 AM
  #12
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,855
vCash: 500
Sign Brendan Morrison to a cheap ($) contract if Prospal is indeed out for the year.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
  #13
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
Plus I have a gut feeling that Frolov and Anisimov would enjoy playing together.

I think the second line would be the ideal place to start Stepan, especially if he sees some power play time too.
This really does seem like the best option with what we have. EC will figure to be on the top line for a few games, at lest.

However I think that if EC gets some time up on the 1st, he will need to develop some kind of confidence before it pays off. Don't know how much rope he will get to find his rhythm.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
  #14
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue
 
N9Y4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Gold Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Not one of Larry's better articles. I think Dubinsky stays at LW for good. But, the weakness at center, (due, in part to the inexperience of both Stepan and Anisimov), is why I think this team could be on the outside looking in come playoff time. Personally, I'd rather it be this way, but, I'm not the one hoping for playoff revenue. There are going to be some growing pains with both Stepan and Anisimov.
This and the fact that our D is suspect at best! 1 borderline top pair guy, 2 borderline 2nd pair guys, 2 2nd year dmen who are awful in their own end, 1 rookie and 1 AHL calibre journeyman. Talk about a work in progress.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
  #15
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,480
vCash: 500
yeah no. thanks larry.

first, vtank and mcd are sent packing and we still have goal-roy, eminger and white.

now larry wants dubi- the least creative of all our centers not named capt quaalude, to center our first line. had he been trying out for a spot this camp, he likely gets sent down to hartford based on his disinterested and lackluster play.

i mean, has this guy done anything so far in camp ?

not only isnt he a 1c, hes not a c. period.

god help this organization. i hope we even approach the playoffs this season..


Last edited by offdacrossbar: 10-04-2010 at 09:05 AM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:31 AM
  #16
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yeah no. thanks larry.

first, vtank and mcd are sent packing and we still have goal-roy, eminger and white.

now larry wants dubi- the least creative of all our centers not named capt quaalude, to center our first line. had he been trying out for a spot this camp, he likely gets sent down to hartford based on his disinterested and lackluster play.

i mean, has this guy done anything so far in camp ?

not only isnt he a 1c, hes not a c. period.

god help this organization. i hope we even approach the playoffs this season..
Give it a rest, your Dubinsky hate is almost as misguided as your player evaluations in general.

Regarding the article, what doesnt make sense? This team is in serious trouble without a versatile veteran like Prospal. And for better or for worse, Dubinsky probably is a most-established center at this point. Personally, I think he looks more comfortable at left wing, but the notion of moving him back to center in light of recent events certainly isnt out of this world.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:36 AM
  #17
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Give it a rest, your Dubinsky hate is almost as misguided as your player evaluations in general.

Regarding the article, what doesnt make sense? This team is in serious trouble without a versatile veteran like Prospal. And for better or for worse, Dubinsky probably is a most-established center at this point. Personally, I think he looks more comfortable at left wing, but the notion of moving him back to center in light of recent events certainly isnt out of this world.
I don't think it's Dubinsky hate, and I pretty much agree with him.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:39 AM
  #18
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I don't think it's Dubinsky hate, and I pretty much agree with him.
Then you're drinking the kool-aid in believing that Derek Stepan or Erik Christensen can do a better job centering the top line RIGHT NOW than Dubinsky who is, by far, the best established player of the bunch.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:39 AM
  #19
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
I'm open to the possibility, but for now I see no issue with Christensen there.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:42 AM
  #20
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Then you're drinking the kool-aid in believing that Derek Stepan or Erik Christensen can do a better job centering the top line RIGHT NOW than Dubinsky who is, by far, the best established player of the bunch.
Yeah, okay - the Rangers coaching staff is so confident in his abilities as a center that they changed him to a LW. He might be the most established player out of those three, but he's clearly not a true center in the eyes of the coaching staff.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:43 AM
  #21
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
NY Post

I guess Larry's thinking out loud, and it just shows you how weak the Rangers currently are up the middle.



He also discusses the excess RH D-men, and Sather's interest in Souray.
Year by year Brooksies articles get dumber and sound more forced. It's like he's trying extra hard to come up with contrary sure to piss some people off crap to write about; while trying to sound like he actually knows what he's talking about or should be taken seriously. It's like he's become a caricature of himself. If any one of us wrote this article ourselves as a thread, we'd be mocked and locked lol.

He's like a professional troll or something.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:48 AM
  #22
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,480
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Give it a rest, your Dubinsky hate is almost as misguided as your player evaluations in general.

Regarding the article, what doesnt make sense? This team is in serious trouble without a versatile veteran like Prospal. And for better or for worse, Dubinsky probably is a most-established center at this point. Personally, I think he looks more comfortable at left wing, but the notion of moving him back to center in light of recent events certainly isnt out of this world.

since i have you on ignore, ill respond this way.

its not dubi hate. its dubi reality. as ive stated numerous times, hes not a centerman. hes too dumb for that position. he needs to play on the edge and not think so much.

to me, it both weakens the first line and removes dubi from a postion where he might actually make a difference. dubi at the 1c make us worse.

this is what happens when your organization reacts rather than acts.

im sorry if you disagree, but really, having brandon center our top line, as a last resort, is the worst form of weakness. he would be playing that position by default and one could argue, making us weaker.

ny rangers strategy = trolling the waiver wire.

im concerned that all i am seeing is more of the same stuff that made me concerned before.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:56 AM
  #23
94Obsession
Registered User
 
94Obsession's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Then you're drinking the kool-aid in believing that Derek Stepan or Erik Christensen can do a better job centering the top line RIGHT NOW than Dubinsky who is, by far, the best established player of the bunch.
I fully believe Derek Stepan is better than most of our fowards not named Gaborik or Frolov already. Which goes to show you how little top 6 fowards we have had over the years, and our failure to draft any in the last 10 years that have cracked the lineup.

Derek Stepan has more creativity already in making plays in his pinky than Dubinsky could ever hope for, and already has shown more HOCKEY SENSE.

Dubinsky in an ideal situation would be a 3rd line center at best. I don't think he's a top 6 foward, and will never be one.

I love Dubsinky, but some of you severely overrate players like Dubinsky.


Last edited by 94Obsession: 10-04-2010 at 10:01 AM.
94Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:58 AM
  #24
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
i dont see the real problem here, and i f@#$ing HATE larry brooks

he essentially points out that we have a giant shmorgishborg of question marks at the center position

nothing i read souds crazy, and honestly, putting dubi there doesnt make any less ense then Stepan, EC, or AA

NONE of the above are truely ready to be #1 centers right now...just gotta find out who can do a better impression of one

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:03 AM
  #25
lbrowne
Registered User
 
lbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
I'm all for Dubi on the first line for center, but I'm not blind to better options if some present themselves.

However mark my words that because Brooks said it, Torts now won't do it, even if he had previously planned to.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.