HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren: Waivers won't impact cuts

Old
10-04-2010, 10:34 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Holmgren: Waivers won't impact cuts

I don't think anybody will claim Backlund but then again Jones was claimed last year which was a gross miscalc. Although we don't know what we have with Backlund except a still unproven goalie on the mend....it would not be good to lose the depth at goaltending. Also I would hate to lose Bartulis...Walker/Gauthier I can give two craps. Addition by subtraction in his case even if we have to pay some of his salary. Man Holmgren I think has a job lined up if he's ever fired as Yzerman's personal trashman. Meszeros still has a lot to prove at 4M!

BTW if anybody is claimed..Bartulis or Backlund... we know he'll say "it is what it is.."

Quote:
BUFFALO -- With the NHL’s deadline for roster cuts due at 3 o’clock on Wednesday afternoon, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said on Sunday night that waivers will not have an impact on the cuts made.

Johan Backlund, David Laliberte, Oskars Bartulis and even Matt Walker are the bubble players still in training camp that would need to clear through waivers - and be available to all 29 other teams - if they aren’t added to the salary cap by Wednesday.

Backlund could generate some interest on the waiver wire if the Flyers choose to keep Sergei Bobrovsky as the backup to Brian Boucher, with Michael Leighton out for the first month of the season.

“If we went that way, I don’t think anyone would claim him,” Holmgren said about Backlund. “It’s a risk, obviously.”

Since Bobrovsky, 22, is on an entry-level contract, he is not subjected to waivers and can move freely from the NHL to AHL as many times as the Flyers wish.

The Flyers have lost Randy Jones, Ossi Vaananen and Glen Metropolit to waivers in recent years. All three of those players were claimed on re-entry waivers, on their way back to the NHL, when teams can claim a player for half of his salary.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz11P8RQpga

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

That article is wrong. Vaananen and Metropolit were not claimed on re-entry waivers. Their cap hits just reflected it on their new teams because you only incur the cap hit of a player for as long as they're on the team.

Regardless, it's a good time to get people through waivers if you're trying to do it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Wonder if this is directed at Carcillo too.

I would love it if Walker were cut

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:52 AM
DenverBoone

Please cut Walker, for all that is holy.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Jester

...waivers should impact cuts.

If you feel Bartulis could develop into a solid and cheap bottom pairing D, then maybe you should think twice about cutting him and losing him for jack squat. Now, maybe you still want to do it because you like other players more... but to suggest that waiver status is immaterial to your cut decisions is absurd.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:57 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That article is wrong. Vaananen and Metropolit were not claimed on re-entry waivers. Their cap hits just reflected it on their new teams because you only incur the cap hit of a player for as long as they're on the team.

Regardless, it's a good time to get people through waivers if you're trying to do it.
I'm starting to become REALLY frustrated by our so called "writers" in this city. How can you possible mess up facts so much? A large number of us posters would make far less factual errors than these so called experts.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:59 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
In regards to Bartulis, waivers should matter. But I am glad they dont matter to Walker

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:17 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

[QUOTE=Jester;28097419... but to suggest that waiver status is immaterial to your cut decisions is absurd.[/QUOTE]

it is what it is....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:18 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I really don't want to lose Bartulis for nothing.

Laliberte I feel is the perfect player to take the risk on. He has shown some offensive capabilities and has been able to find the back of the net even at the NHL level. He has some ways to improve before he earns a solid spot, because he is a floater. It would be a make or break deal with him, either he fits in nicely as a top 9 player, or he busts and we waive him.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:39 AM
IrishSniper87

Florida put Winger Michael Grabner on waivers.

He is a guy I would like to pick up. However, Homer wont do it.

LA Goalie Erik Ersberg is also on waivers.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:47 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Please cut Walker, for all that is holy.
I too am still waiting for the Walker Waiver Party to begin. Even if pronger does miss a week. I'll take bart/gustafson over walker for the 7th dman anyday.

kicksave27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

If you feel Bartulis could develop into a solid and cheap bottom pairing D, then maybe you should think twice about cutting him and losing him for jack squat. Now, maybe you still want to do it because you like other players more... but to suggest that waiver status is immaterial to your cut decisions is absurd.
If you removed the title of this thread, everyone could still guess which team official made that suggestion in a single try.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

You seem to have forgotten that Paul Holmgren doesn't think any more than 2 weeks down the road.

Old
10-04-2010, 02:55 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You seem to have forgotten that Paul Holmgren doesn't think.
fixed

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
fixed
Well, he told Bill Guerin to get lost, so there it at least a small trace of brainpower in there.

Old
10-05-2010, 11:22 PM
kicksave27

Homer can pic talent, he's proven to be great at it. However, money is just not his thing. Trading for pronger was great, but not knowing the rules for his age and cap number was sad. The guy needs a cap geek or something. He can't even salary dump properly.

kicksave27 is online now   Reply With Quote