HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Goaltender Depth

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Fender

vCash: 500
Goaltender Depth

With the loss of Valiquette today in the Waiver Draft, the Oilers depth at G basically sucks.

If Conklin can't handle the backup job, or Salo goes down with an injury (I am knocking on wood so it won't happen :p ) we are hooped.

Not to mention the depth for the 'runners will be crap as well.

Why didn't Lowe claim a goaltender today? It really makes no sense to me.

Any ideas??

Old
10-03-2003, 12:27 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender
With the loss of Valiquette today in the Waiver Draft, the Oilers depth at G basically sucks.

If Conklin can't handle the backup job, or Salo goes down with an injury (I am knocking on wood so it won't happen :p ) we are hooped.

Any ideas??
He would have to expose Conklin or Salo.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:48 PM
MrMackey

Obviously, with some of the players available today, there is lots of second tier goaltending talent available that can be had for nothing.

If Conklin falters, than Lowe can easily grab a guy like Tyler Moss, Steve Shields, or whoever for backup help.

If Salo falters, its a different story and Lowe needs a new starter. There's obviously some depth in Buffalo and a couple of other places.

Why would Lowe pick up a guy like Shields or Moss today just because they're available and we lost Valiquette? Neither of those players, nor any of the others available today, would cover both potential problems taht could arise within our org... if there is going to be a problem, lets wait and see what it will be and deal with it accordingly.

Why do we need a top notch guy in Toronto today?

Just my two cents.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:19 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender

Any ideas??
Like others have said a back-up goalie shouldn't cost that much.(I hear Cujo is available). Paying a little usually gets you something better than what is available for free. By the way - am I the only one that doesn't think Conklin has done the job in the pre-season?

Old
10-03-2003, 01:25 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

What we should really be talking about here is how dumb of a move Florida made in claiming Valiquette. Why would you give up Jani Hurme for nothing??? And why, if I understand the picking order correctly, did Lowe not then turn around and take Jani Hurme before Carolina could?

Old
10-03-2003, 01:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

What we should really be talking about here is how dumb of a move Florida made in claiming Valiquette. Why would you give up Jani Hurme for nothing??? Atlanta got Hurme through a deal with Carolina taking him and then trading him. Too bad we couldn't get him, even if Ty's back there.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:32 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

As much as I want Ty to succeed, Hurme is definitely a notch above Conklin.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:39 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
As much as I want Ty to succeed, Hurme is definitely a notch above Conklin.
I'd agree with that. I just don't think Hurme was available to us.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:07 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
What we should really be talking about here is how dumb of a move Florida made in claiming Valiquette. Why would you give up Jani Hurme for nothing??? Atlanta got Hurme through a deal with Carolina taking him and then trading him. Too bad we couldn't get him, even if Ty's back there.
While the loss of Hurme for nothing is baffling, Dudley's claim on Valiquette was not a dumb move. There is a limit of one goalie to be lost in the waiver draft, and Florida lost that when Mason was selected. DUdley then selected Valiquette, and, while he didn't HAVE to expose Hurme, he chose to do so anyways. Like I said, baffling. However, picking up Valliquette did not force Dudley's hand on Hurme - must have been a $$ dump.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:09 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11
must have been a $$ dump.
Yeah, but still, not smart.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:32 PM
HockeySense85

So what happens if Florida tried to send SV down? Can the Oilers reclaim him off waivers? Is there anyone else in the Florida system that could possibly beat out Val for the backup spot?

If the Oilers had picked up Hurme, then Conklin would still need to clear waivers whenever the Oilers cut him, so they could send him to Toronto. Not to mention the one-way contract they would be forced to pay for Conklin.

I am guessing that in the end, Money and all these damned waiver rules provented Lowe from doing much.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:39 PM
VayaConDios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySense85
So what happens if Florida tried to send SV down? Can the Oilers reclaim him off waivers? Is there anyone else in the Florida system that could possibly beat out Val for the backup spot?
That is an interesting idea. Maybe Val would rather play in edmonton or toronto then in florida. He already knows the guys here and he is probably settled in already. If they send him down maybe we get him again off waivers? But that is only possible if a) he isnt backup in florida and b) he doesnt clear waivers when/if getting sent down.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Hemsky01

Why do we need a top notch guy in Toronto today?

Because we want the young guys down there to have the feeling of success, go deep in the playoffs, and most of all if Conklin or Salo goes down, someone to call up. I was very impressed with Valiquette and am sorry to see him go. Can anyone tell me anything about the 2 goalies in Toronto at the moment. I have not heard much good about them yet.

Old
10-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

as far as i know, dumping hurme was part of mr. dudley's house cleaning. he is also trying to dump a few of his underachievers like novaseltsov etc.
i think florida is gonna look at bringing in a big name before the trade deadline, i think they're playoff hopes for this year are shot, but they have the goaltending and youth balance to contend next year. so all these are just pre-emptive moves.

hurme had a pretty hefty salary (not sure exactly but i think somewhere in the 1.5 to 2.5 mil range, someone correct me here), ad for a non-contender, that's just a waste of budget coin.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:15 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
hurme had a pretty hefty salary (not sure exactly but i think somewhere in the 1.5 to 2.5 mil range, someone correct me here), ad for a non-contender, that's just a waste of budget coin.
1.1 million per year for two seasons I believe.. Cost cutting or not... that is what I'd like to call poor asset management.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:10 PM
J.P

So is Antilla the only goalie for the Roadrunners?

Old
10-04-2003, 12:18 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
So is Antilla the only goalie for the Roadrunners?

Morrison is down there too.

Old
10-04-2003, 01:48 PM
woody

Short term idea, You might see the Oiler's working out an agreement deal with another team to place a goalie with the Roadrunners. (ex. Passmore or Moss)
If an injury happens then the Oiler's could then make a move and look for an experienced NHL goalie. ( Sheilds )

Old
10-04-2003, 02:08 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
Morrison is down there too.
And Chris Madden, he was signed by the Roadrunners.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:20 PM
J.P

I hear Minard might be available too?

Old
10-04-2003, 02:25 PM
Mr Sakich

hurme was a tweener - too good to be in the minors or a back-up but not good enough to be an impact starter. Kinda reminds of biron.

Look for the oil to sign or trade for a guy like auld. Someone who could be an emergency guy in case of a serious injury to salo.

BTW, I had to get a new avatar as valliquette was my old one. Sucks because I really was cheering for him. I am happy for him that he is a full time nhler but I wish he was here instead of florida.

good luck Big Vally

Old
10-04-2003, 02:28 PM
J.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14
And Chris Madden, he was signed by the Roadrunners.
Was that just a Roadrunners signing? if so I doubt he could be called up if the Oilers ever needed him?

Old
10-04-2003, 03:15 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
Was that just a Roadrunners signing? if so I doubt he could be called up if the Oilers ever needed him?
Yah it was, note how I said "he was signed by the Roadrunners". I was just replying to the the post asking if Antilla is the only one down in Toronto now. Wasn't specifically speaking of the Oilers organization.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:17 PM
VayaConDios

Isn't there another goalie on the farm? Like martin or something?

Old
10-04-2003, 03:25 PM
J.P

Thats good to know that the Roadrunners will be set in net! (I plan on going to some games!) I doubt the Oilers will ever be in a situation where both Salo and Conklin are hurt/sick anyway!

Closed Thread